Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Doug sucked because its whole gimmick was "he's a kid with real kid problems, just like you!" but they were so afraid of ever actually changing the status quo or having conflict that any problem corrected itself on its own by the end. Doug has acne and the big party where he wants to impress Patti is tomorrow? Oh wait, turns out it was actually a costume party all along and he can just wear a mask. His sister is blackmailing him? Oh nevermind he found even worse dirt on her so she's backed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I liked Doug for the music, and because it rarely felt mean spirited. Plus, Doug was a huge dork, and I relate to that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Doug sucked because Nick just played the same 3-4 episodes and nothing else. I've seen the one about the Super Pretendo, the Nematodes, and the one where he starts a band so many times but can't recall anything else.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mu Zeta posted:

Doug sucked because Nick just played the same 3-4 episodes and nothing else. I've seen the one about the Super Pretendo, the Nematodes, and the one where he starts a band so many times but can't recall anything else.
It's weird, I agree that they only ever played a few episodes, but for me it's that band one plus three others; namely, the one where he wants to be a ventriloquist, the one where there's a bomb in the lasagna, and the one where his sister is afraid of parallel parking.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember one Hey Arnold episode where he sees a classmate in a bunny costume so the classmate puts him through a ton of horrible poo poo, only for Arnold to just not forgive the guy at all. Seemed super out of place for the show.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I used to like the Nicktoons Doug but I really hated the Disney version.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Doug episode that i remember the most is the one where he got real fat from visiting his grandma. Then theres a pool party coming up and he has to lose weight.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I liked Doug for the music, and because it rarely felt mean spirited.
Mean-spirited stuff can still be funny, it just has to work harder to be funny.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If I remember correctly, wasn't the Disney Doug some huge deal? I seem to at least remember the marketing.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I know a guy irl called Doug who looks just like TV Doug. What do I do??

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember Disney Doug made weird changes to the characters, like suddenly Roger and his mother were loaded.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I only saw the Disney Doug, and loosely recall the first episode mentioning a ton of changes going around, including Doug's old hairdresser being bought out, and of course Roger suddenly getting loaded.

There were some Disney Adventures comics of it (Not sure how many were adaptations of episodes, if any) that had some interesting themes; Doug enters a ceramic gravy boat he made himself in a science/crafts competition, starts taking people's suggestions and ended up with a handheld gravy cannon and backpack tank, til he decides to just go with his original plan and wins the contest. (and the gravy cannon gets an Honorable Mention, which makes everyone who gave suggestions happy) And there was a bit of a theme with the newly rich Roger and Bebe having what amount to New Money/Old Money conflicts.

While we're on cartoons; the Jumanji cartoon, made by the same people who did Duckman (the art style is very distinctive) was better than it had any right to be, and even- almost unheard of for a 90s carton- got a proper finale. Also, basically just see http://www.bogleech.com/jumanji.html

Also speaking of comics; check out the Rugrats comic strips, they're a bit like Peanuts but with even more existential terror. And Chuckie is one depressed toddler.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The thing from Doug that I most remember is the episode where he turns 12 and becomes worried that he isn't mature enough, so he starts taping hair under his arms and sits down with his father to have a serious discussion about what a clutch is in a car, prompted by a daydream about him being Mad Max and not being able to outrun the bad guys because he doesn't know how to change gears.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Blue Star posted:

The Doug episode that i remember the most is the one where he got real fat from visiting his grandma. Then theres a pool party coming up and he has to lose weight.

I swear I remember this, but as an Arthur episode.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

An Arthur/Doug crossover would have been like the Wheat Thins/Triscuit team-up no one ever wanted.

Also Arthur's Matt Damon:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Spongebob should have had that episode, but to solve his problem he just has Patrick ring him out as most of the weight is absorbed sea water.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

bobjr posted:

I remember one Hey Arnold episode where he sees a classmate in a bunny costume so the classmate puts him through a ton of horrible poo poo, only for Arnold to just not forgive the guy at all. Seemed super out of place for the show.

Even the animators hated this episode. Iggy never had a role in an episode again.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the one where he wants to be a ventriloquist

"Da Doy Dought Da DasketDall..." will ring through my ears through all of goddamn eternity. Holy hell that episode was on all the time, I swear.

Also the one where he thinks that Patti's dinner party will be serving liver and onions, and he hates liver and onions but doesn't want to offend her. Man, I loved that show (both versions) as a kid, but I'd probably hate it if I watched it now.

I remember seeing something floating around the web about how Mr. Frond (from Bob's Burgers) dresses really similarly to Doug, and that Mr. Frond is a representation of Doug as an adult: a broken, deluded human waste who still desperately wants to do good in the world. Sounds about right.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BioEnchanted posted:

I remember Disney Doug made weird changes to the characters, like suddenly Roger and his mother were loaded.

Roger and his mother won the lottery. Connie lost a lot of weight, too

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I thought Doug was fine? The original airings were on Nickelodeon when I was six and it was a fun show. Some memories:
-Doug wins a video game system and gets addicted, endangering his report on silt. I liked how the game had a space funeral each time he failed.
-Doug needs one comic book to complete his collection. He buys it from a shady guy, then learns it was stolen from a lovable comic store owner. Doug gives it back.
-Doug's dad wants more money so he opens his own photography store, and offers free photos and nearly goes bankrupt. He goes back to his old job and buys Doug a football for his birthday, and in the final show the park is full of dads throwing footballs to their sons.

Overall it was a fine kids show, I didn't like the ABC version when all the voices changed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Doug's dad wants more money so he opens his own photography store, and offers free photos and nearly goes bankrupt. He goes back to his old job and buys Doug a football for his birthday, and in the final show the park is full of dads throwing footballs to their sons.
Oh wow I remember this one. Doug's Dad was a serious loving idiot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Disney's Doug really screwed up everything that made the show unique. Like was previously mentioned Doug was supposed to be a show about a normal kid having normal kid problems and then Disney's Doug started and everything started becoming completely outlandish.

FELD1 posted:

I remember seeing something floating around the web about how Mr. Frond (from Bob's Burgers) dresses really similarly to Doug, and that Mr. Frond is a representation of Doug as an adult: a broken, deluded human waste who still desperately wants to do good in the world. Sounds about right.

Nah, Mr Frond is a callback to a character that was used in King of the Hill (there's a lot of overlap behind the scenes.) Hank ends up having to go to an anger management class and the teacher looks like this:

He was played by David Herman, who also voices Mr Frond.

Edit: This is what Mr Frond looks like for those who don't know.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Aug 6, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

Disney's Doug really screwed up everything that made the show unique. Like was previously mentioned Doug was supposed to be a show about a normal kid having normal kid problems and then Disney's Doug started and everything started becoming completely outlandish.

Nah, Mr Frond is a callback to a character that was used in King of the Hill (there's a lot of overlap behind the scenes.) Hank ends up having to go to an anger management class and the teacher looks like this:

There is a loosely implied shared universe given Hank Hill and Daria got their start on Beavis and Butthead.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mind the walrus posted:

Also Arthur's Matt Damon:

Please, wish it into the cornfield, Anthony!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

muscles like this! posted:

Edit: This is what Mr Frond looks like for those who don't know.

The way I worded it came out wrong. I didn't think that Mr. Frond was an actual Doug reference, but it seemed like a funny similarity that someone decided to run with for fun. Thanks for the info on KotH, though. I completely forgot about that character (it seemed like David Herman was in a poo poo-load of episodes).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

There were some Disney Adventures comics of it (Not sure how many were adaptations of episodes, if any) that had some interesting themes; Doug enters a ceramic gravy boat he made himself in a science/crafts competition, starts taking people's suggestions and ended up with a handheld gravy cannon and backpack tank, til he decides to just go with his original plan and wins the contest. (and the gravy cannon gets an Honorable Mention, which makes everyone who gave suggestions happy) And there was a bit of a theme with the newly rich Roger and Bebe having what amount to New Money/Old Money conflicts.

You probably would have liked the original run of Doug, that craft contest story is basically a rehash of like a dozen Nicktoons episodes. Doug was pretty bland but it was thematically consistent.

EDIT: The only Doug episode that sticks out negatively in my mind was the one where Doug invites Skeeter to draw comics with him and gets pissy because he doesn't like the feel of Skeeter's superhero. It felt like Doug was being a huge dick and the show just treated it as being a 50/50 blame situation instead of Doug ever really realizing how rude he's being.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Aug 6, 2017

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Even the animators hated this episode. Iggy never had a role in an episode again.

I was wondering who the kid was, since Hey Arnold had a big memorable cast, but it's kinda funny that episode turned out so bad he was just dropped.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Straight White Shark posted:

EDIT: The only Doug episode that sticks out negatively in my mind was the one where Doug invites Skeeter to draw comics with him and gets pissy because he doesn't like the feel of Skeeter's superhero. It felt like Doug was being a huge dick and the show just treated it as being a 50/50 blame situation instead of Doug ever really realizing how rude he's being.

Sure, that's the one where Skeeter does the typical "kid making superhero version of themselves" thing where he has all the powers and just makes them up as he goes along.

When I was very young, I liked Thomas the Tank Engine. I think the old stop motion model episodes hold up decently well as far as shows for toddlers go. But I've recently seen some of the newer CGI ones and I have the distinct impression that those probably won't age quite as gracefully.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Precambrian posted:

9-11... Any other shows where you can tell it was made right after a national tragedy?

From way back, but The Sopranos removed the WTC from the opening credits and Spiderman 1 removed it from a TV trailer they'd shot.

I don't think M*A*S*H* has aged particularly well. The first few seasons are pretty good (with Frank and Henry) but still rife with misogyny and sexist humor (the film too), not to mention characters named "Spearchucker", "Lt. Dish" and "ho-Jon". Somehow it got even worse once Alan Alda began playing a heavier role and everything swung over the opposite direction "war is hell", really heavy handed liberalism and "deep meaningful" character exploration where every episode dealt with an established character having an amazing epiphany. Also, how did the doctors always manage to perform surgery completely poo poo faced all the time?

Friends and South Park (with the exception of a few classic episodes) have always sucked.

The person who posted that All in the Family rape clip was way off. That 2-part episode was brave to tackle and terrifying to watch. AITF was way was ahead of its time and is still strikingly relevant. I think the brevity and weight of that episode caught the live audience off guard, and rightfully so, probably, since it was a sitcom.

Other 70's crap, like Happy Days and Three's Company are just cringe worthy though. In the case of "The Fonz", here you have a misogynist, uneducated high school drop out who bullies "nerds" and is afraid of being called "chicken" or backing down from any dare who is somehow the coolest role model hero ever. With TC...my god... the jokes were stupid back then but where to start with the gay bashing, creepy womanizing, objectification, rear end slapping and all the "zany misunderstandings" that lead to all those "whacky hijinx?"

I guess TC hardly counts since it was always terrible but it was really popular. "HAppy Days" had some good episodes early on when it was basically just "American Graffiti".

The idea of "The Six Million Dollar Man" cracks me up nowadays but basically just because of the price tag. I'm surprised they're never rebooted that show.

Good thread idea, OP.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was very young, I liked Thomas the Tank Engine. I think the old stop motion model episodes hold up decently well as far as shows for toddlers go.

Speaking of stop-motion, does anybody else remember The Magic Roundabout? I saw the British version when I was growing up and I can't bring myself to rewatch some of it and kill the nostalgia.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was very young, I liked Thomas the Tank Engine. I think the old stop motion model episodes hold up decently well as far as shows for toddlers go. But I've recently seen some of the newer CGI ones and I have the distinct impression that those probably won't age quite as gracefully.
I loved it growing up--had all the die-cast models n' poo poo--but when I revisted an episode or two as an adult the whole thing has some horrifying authoritarian "keep your head down, do your loving job, and don't question the way things are" themes to it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mind the walrus posted:

I loved it growing up--had all the die-cast models n' poo poo--but when I revisted an episode or two as an adult the whole thing has some horrifying authoritarian "keep your head down, do your loving job, and don't question the way things are" themes to it.

Well, the trains do have to run on time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

iirc they loving "Cask of Amontillado" a train in the first episode (or book, can't recall) because he was disobedient.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobjr posted:

I was wondering who the kid was, since Hey Arnold had a big memorable cast, but it's kinda funny that episode turned out so bad he was just dropped.

He actually shows up in a cameo in the new trailer which might be the first time he's been seen since that episode.

It really can't be overstated how weirdly that episode clashes with pretty much the entire ethos of the show. You have a show where the main focus is on solving issues, being a good person and overcoming issues with kindness and understanding and then you have an episode where the lead is just absolutely poo poo on in the most ruthless of ways, plus you have THE ENTIRE CAST mock him.

It's so out of whack with everything that came before it and after it. It almost feels like someone got the script from the wrong show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

The idea of "The Six Million Dollar Man" cracks me up nowadays but basically just because of the price tag. I'm surprised they're never rebooted that show.

About 10 years ago they did a remake of The Bionic Woman but it flopped and was canceled after one season.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think M*A*S*H* has aged particularly well. The first few seasons are pretty good (with Frank and Henry) but still rife with misogyny and sexist humor (the film too), not to mention characters named "Spearchucker", "Lt. Dish" and "ho-Jon". Somehow it got even worse once Alan Alda began playing a heavier role and everything swung over the opposite direction "war is hell", really heavy handed liberalism and "deep meaningful" character exploration where every episode dealt with an established character having an amazing epiphany. Also, how did the doctors always manage to perform surgery completely poo poo faced all the time?

Spearchucker got that name because his threw the javelin in college. As for the rest, is was set in the 50s (not really a good defense, but there you go).

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Mister Kingdom posted:

Roger and his mother won the lottery. Connie lost a lot of weight, too

Yeah, well, Disney wasn’t about to have poor or overweight people on their show.

Frankly I’m amazed they didn’t give Patti’s Dad bionic legs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

BiggerBoat posted:

Oddly enough, about 10 years ago they DID reboot the Bionic Woman. It wasn't just some cheap SyFy show, either, but a full-on big NBC production. Glancing at Wiki, it seems that the Writers' Guild Strike affected production, but even with that it never really felt like it was catching any steam with the first few episodes. Had it been relaunched about 5 years later during the peak of the modern sci-fi/supehero TV boom it probably would be on season 4-5 by now with Six-Million Dollar Man spinoff of some sort and SOMEHOW Knight Rider would be in the shared universe for reasons.

edit: Wow. A $6M-Man/Knight Rider crossover seems like something IDW should be publishing at this point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, that's the one where Skeeter does the typical "kid making superhero version of themselves" thing where he has all the powers and just makes them up as he goes along.

Well to be fair the Silver Skeeter is just a knock off of the Silver Surfer who does in fact have all the powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mind the walrus posted:

iirc they loving "Cask of Amontillado" a train in the first episode (or book, can't recall) because he was disobedient.

All of the original stories by the Rev. Awdry were based on real world events in British railway history. In real life, if a train breaks down in a tunnel, you just board it up to keep animals out while you do repairs. When the train is sentient, it gets hosed up. That, and everything bad happened to Henry in the early seasons before Percy became the railyard bitch. Henry loving killed a guy when he smashed into the caboose one episode.