Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lakbay posted:

Splat Zones was a Capture Point mode in S1 but they reduced a bunch of maps to 1 point so a lot of them are just KotH now

Ah, so that's why "Zones" is plural, the first time I played I actually swam around looking for another point before I realized it was KotH.

Did they discuss why they changed it? Were multiple capture points too complicated for players? I greatly prefer multiple capture points because KotH is generally just chaos and weapon spam in the middle of the map but with multiple objectives there's motivation to move around trying to distract/pick off the ememy, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Where the hell are the mayo players? All I'm getting is Ketchup teams.

Oh, NOW I'm playing just as i typed this.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I think I will strive to get out of C- just the once, then likely not play ranked again until I have drastically improved. I feel like every jot of improvement I manage to achieve is simply inundated by the hole I have dug myself, with every other player appears to be a mouth breathing, ink huffing retard. It's just hard to quantify my team mates 'skill level', they honestly appear to be literal children who cant grasp the mechanics :(

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 6, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I think I will strive to get out of C- just the once, then likely not play ranked again until I have drastically improved. I feel like every jot of improvement I manage to achieve is simply inundated by the hole I have dug myself, with every other player appears to be a mouth breathing, ink huffing retard. It's just hard to quantify my team mates 'skill level', they honestly appear to be literal children who cant grasp the mehcanics :(

The majority of goons here will not-so-subtly imply that you're part of the problem (or just straight up come out and tell you to git gud) but I don't think they realize how bad it is in C rank because they started playing the game immediately when it came out with all the other players who had played Splatoon 1 and leapt out of C almost immediately, now we're stuck down here with all the twelve year olds.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
i suck at this game. or is my sucking down to being only matched with like players at lvl 20+ while im the only sub lvl 10 with no abilities or skills. what i mean is i have no idea what im doing and it upsets me

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

my new dog posted:

i suck at this game. or is my sucking down to being only matched with like players at lvl 20+ while im the only sub lvl 10 with no abilities or skills. what i mean is i have no idea what im doing and it upsets me

Play the single player mode if you haven't already, it's designed to teach you the skills you need and show you the weapon types so you can figure out what you're best at.

If you've already done that, are you going into Sheldon's shop and testing out all the weapons he has? Don't underestimate how the secondary weapons and specials effect the base weapon, I don't like the Splattershot Jr. much because ink armor doesn't gel with my play style but the regular Splattershot comes with splashdown, which works better for me.

Of course I didn't get a weapon that really clicked with me until the Sploosh-o-Matic came out, but that's because I'm a dummy that likes getting in opponents faces and isn't great at ammo management.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 6, 2017

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

lelandjs posted:

The majority of goons here will not-so-subtly imply that you're part of the problem (or just straight up come out and tell you to git gud) but I don't think they realize how bad it is in C rank because they started playing the game immediately when it came out with all the other players who had played Splatoon 1 and leapt out of C almost immediately, now we're stuck down here with all the twelve year olds.

Oh I know I need to 'git gut'. I know why I am here, bad choice of weapons and terrible aim. But now I am improving, and mechanically getting better - my team mates are still loving terrible. I'm no idiot, I've seen my fair share of 'MATCH MAKING SUCKS I DON'T DESERVE TO BE HERE' but right now I genuinely feel like I've dug myself too deep, and am paying for it deeply.

Edit: Just finished a rainmaker game where 2 members of my team stood back to snipe the entire game. the entire game.

Edit 2: following rainmaker game, our rainmaker guy grabbed it and bee-lined for the edge of the level to kill himself. This is literally the first play he made of the game.

Edit 3: in my game right this second:

:negative:

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 6, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I think it's time you consider playing Team Ranked matches. That way you don't play against silly pubbies.

EDIT: Oh wait, League Ranked unlocks at B-. :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Oh I know I need to 'git gut'. I know why I am here, bad choice of weapons and terrible aim. But now I am improving, and mechanically getting better - my team mates are still loving terrible. I'm no idiot, I've seen my fair share of 'MATCH MAKING SUCKS I DON'T DESERVE TO BE HERE' but right now I genuinely feel like I've dug myself too deep, and am paying for it deeply.

Edit: Just finished a rainmaker game where 2 members of my team stood back to snipe the entire game. the entire game.

I'm not saying that you and I don't need improvement (we do) but when two of the other players on your team have aerosprays and are making sure that one specific area on our turf stays inked instead of working towards the objective there's only so much we can do to win the match for our team.

Also there's a lot of new players in C rank who simply don't know the game modes so you're automatically at a disadvantage. Three of our team members will paint the shortest route to the rainmaker and get there ASAP but then the noob will go paint spawn and whattaya know, the other team gets the rainmaker and we immediately have to go defensive. Meanwhile, noob has painted their corner and heads right into the path of the rainmaker and dies and you're 3v4 with the rainmaker halfway to the goal and then the brush holder on the other team pops up behind me and I throw my controller across the room.

Also disconnects are still rampant in C mode but I don't complain about them much because they effect the other team as much as mine.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 6, 2017

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Rexroom posted:

I think it's time you consider playing Team Ranked matches. That way you don't play against silly pubbies.

Wow. I feel like a serious idiot. I thought ranked play was solo queue only...

Rexroom posted:

EDIT: Oh wait, League Ranked unlocks at B-. :v:

:doh:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Ah, so that's why "Zones" is plural, the first time I played I actually swam around looking for another point before I realized it was KotH.

Did they discuss why they changed it? Were multiple capture points too complicated for players? I greatly prefer multiple capture points because KotH is generally just chaos and weapon spam in the middle of the map but with multiple objectives there's motivation to move around trying to distract/pick off the ememy, etc.

Since you need to cap both points simultaneously to tick down your counter, matches tended to become super grindy battles of attrition.

Granted it was as much a problem of them putting the zones too far from one another (Port Mackerel was notoriously hellish) as them having two in general, but even in the one map I've played with two Splat Zones, they're right next to each other.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically if there was some way to evaluate personal performance instead of W/L to determine rank in the C levels people like me would actually stand a reasonable chance of ranking out into B but as it stands we're reliant on teammates knowing what they're doing and that sucks.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Basically if there was some way to evaluate personal performance instead of W/L to determine rank in the C levels people like me would actually stand a reasonable chance of ranking out into B but as it stands we're reliant on teammates knowing what they're doing and that sucks.

When you are rank 1 on your teams score page, by a massive margin, watching the ranked bar plummet hurts that little bit more.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I laffed at the voiced "bada-bada-bada-bada-bada" pearl & marina did at the splatfest tally scree

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

lelandjs posted:

:agreed: just had a couple Tower control rounds with grossly incompetent teammates, just running around inking everything, totally avoiding the objective at the start of the round. Not gonna pretend that I'm particularly amazing at this game, but I can at least play the objective. Maybe I should play with goons instead of rando's.

I feel like my ability to do well would also be improved by not playing in handheld mode, but that's currently not an option as I have what is possibly the shittiest internet connection. Garbage tier DSL over WiFi (it's a combo modem/router that has to pass through 2 walls. Like I can't even complete a round if I'm in my room thanks to weak signal, so I'm relegated to sitting on the couch in the living room (there's no tv there). Considering getting either a bridge or power line adapter to make it more bearable/so I can be a bigger shut-in.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
As someone who is A rank in everything but tower control (B rank) it's hard for me to take games seriously. I'll probably get to S rank with enough time and I won't know what to do when I get there.
I'd imagine the most fulfilling way to play regardless of skill level would be in League Battles. It might be time to start making friends who don't suck rear end at this game for babies.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Dammit I dumped 2 snails into a pair of shoes and then during battle realized I don't like the look of them :negative:

I wish more shirts/shoes changed color to whatever your current color is like the cycling set, I must match dammit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So apparently ketchup is the condiment of the unruly masses but the disciplined players of skill all picked mayo

I've never seen votes vs wins so lopsided

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Is the power level individual performance and that gets averaged across the team when the match starts?

If so whats y'all power levels, made it to 2093, but wondering if that's good, bad, mediocre.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
2093 is pretty dang good. Game struggled to find me matches when I hit 1973 so I stopped there.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Over 2k is real good. My highest is 1712 which I won't beat by the time splatfest ends.

It's the higher one that counts right? Not current?

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I don't think the power level actually counts towards anything except for matchmaking. To that end, the current one matters.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh that's fine then. I thought highest power would contribute to the solo results.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey, turns out bitching about stuff on the Something Awful internet comedy forums actually helps! :unsmith:

[Edit: that last round we actually had a disconnect on my team but I grabbed us a victory by despirately inking as much turf as possible in the last 30 seconds as my teammates held down the tower]

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Lakbay posted:

Dammit I dumped 2 snails into a pair of shoes and then during battle realized I don't like the look of them :negative:

I wish more shirts/shoes changed color to whatever your current color is like the cycling set, I must match dammit

The trick is to pair unchanging colour on clothes with eye and weapon colour.

Like, the Dapple Dualies are always mainly magenta, it's just the toothbrush that changes.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Got 21 snails for being a ketchup loser king, which seems okay at 1 snail per reroll/ability slot. How often are splatfests?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Once a month.

I'm glad that Win Rate is weighted just as heavy as popularity for splatfests now. I remember in one there were cases were one side stomped the other but they would have such less popular votes they'd still end up losing

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

pichupal posted:

The trick is to pair unchanging colour on clothes with eye and weapon colour.

Like, the Dapple Dualies are always mainly magenta, it's just the toothbrush that changes.

I forgot eye color doesn't change, thanks for the ~fashion tipz~

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

lelandjs posted:

I'm not saying that you and I don't need improvement (we do) but when two of the other players on your team have aerosprays and are making sure that one specific area on our turf stays inked instead of working towards the objective there's only so much we can do to win the match for our team.

Also there's a lot of new players in C rank who simply don't know the game modes so you're automatically at a disadvantage.

So disconnects affect the other team as much as yours but bad players don't? The only consistent factor in all of your games is you.

Rexroom posted:

Where the hell are the mayo players? All I'm getting is Ketchup teams.

Oh, NOW I'm playing just as i typed this.

My brothers picked Ketchup for us, having to wait two or three minutes on the matchmaking screen until the system decides to throw us against other ketchup team was really annoying. Might be a smart move to pick the less popular choice next time, unless it's something you feel strongly about.

At least Ketchup King is a good title, wish we could keep them and the splatfest tees tho.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Woke up to find out being on team mayo is the right choice after all so felt good about that.

Was immediately greeted by a furry getting uh, mayo, splashed on his face and my good feel was destroyed instantly. I can overlook a lot of dumb poo poo but what the gently caress is wrong with you to think that's okay?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
As happy as I was to end up on the winning team, I really note just how lopsided the weights are towards battle now.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Considering the overwhelming ketchup numbers and how often I stomped mayo teams, I thought for sure it would be a sweep. :shrug:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Geostomp posted:

As happy as I was to end up on the winning team, I really note just how lopsided the weights are towards battle now.

Because people spent all of Splatoon 1 whining endlessly that popularity was too big a factor in the popularity contest and their serious skill wasn't being rewarded enough, and they kept adjusting the weights upward. I guess this is the endgame.

Related if someone has a link to that cats and dogs "49 is less than 51" thing I'd be much obliged.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I managed to hit 1998 and then got spanked back down to 1800 before averaging out to around 1900 by the time I hit Queen.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Geostomp posted:

It gives the popular team a easy advantage so I think it's literally perfect. Popular team only has to take one catagorey while unpopular has to work it's rear end off to make a clean sweep. It feels a lot more fair then "Popular and also Wins X6"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It gives the popular team a easy advantage so I think it's literally perfect. Popular team only has to take one catagorey while unpopular has to work it's rear end off to make a clean sweep. It feels a lot more fair then "Popular and also Wins X6"

I guess so. At least this means that Marina won't automatically win every Splatfest.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I love marina but I like to vote for the thing I actually like more and I guess that was the right choice here. The final splatfest is gonna be brutal though. Good job Nintendo for setting us up for a race war

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do the star ratings of your gear have any bearing on anything other than the slots? I like my green converse but they're one star. If I spend two snails to get them bumped to three slot am I going to regret it for some strange reason?

Splatfest was really fun. For some reason I thought it was the entire weekend and always just skimmed over the dates whenever they were posted so I was a little bummed to log in this morning and see the regular game. Still, was on the right side of history in the mayo vs ketchup debate, which I think we can definitively put to bed now. :smug:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

inferis posted:

I love marina but I like to vote for the thing I actually like more and I guess that was the right choice here. The final splatfest is gonna be brutal though. Good job Nintendo for setting us up for a race war

They won't find four people for Team Pearl unless that person's excellent "they swap" idea is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Do the star ratings of your gear have any bearing on anything other than the slots? I like my green converse but they're one star. If I spend two snails to get them bumped to three slot am I going to regret it for some strange reason?

Stars correspond to how many initial slots it has and nothing else.