Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

iirc they loving "Cask of Amontillado" a train in the first episode (or book, can't recall) because he was disobedient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That's messed up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is the song I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pt08Sqoq0c

Like yeah it's not wrong, but there's such a class sentiment behind it you just don't see in the US and it's surreal to think I imbibed it without a second thought.

There's also this more recent one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG4uDXLsdPY

As someone who actually supports rules and regulations on a macro level, this video brought out the inner :911: "Don't Tread on Me" rear end in a top hat within loving seconds.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were those created for the US adaptation of the show? I don't recognise them and I had (disclaimer: I was three years old) the Thomas & Friends singalong VHS tape. :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Huh, possibly not. I could be 100% wrong then. I honestly don't recall. The only song I've ever remembered from the show was Gone Fishin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3PHEIN4Gg

E-- Here's all of the songs, apparently. I'm not sifting through it but it says it took the songs from US, UK, and Malaysian (wtf?) DVDs. I've no idea. I'm spent on researching Thomas the Tank Engine lore for my lifetime. Take everything I've said with a grain of salt y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cc4SmnHExc

Also that Helicopter is way more terrifying than I remember it being. gently caress it's like they stretched a baseball over fat Marlon Brando.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Aug 6, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Bionic Woman remake started out kinda promising, but was a major victim of the writer's strike given the plot basically fell down the plughole halfway through the first season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of those post-Lost "mystery box" shows which promised a big mystery with loads of twists and turns where every answer just raised more questions (and then got cancelled after one season without ever resolving their cliffhangers) certainly haven't aged well, not so much for their content as the fact that the zeitgeist has moved so far on from them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That a lot of them coincided with the writers' strike probably didn't help either.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Twilight Zone will forever hold a special place in my heart, and its impact on television back in the late 50s/early 60s can't be overstated, but man even some of the most classic episodes just come across as ham handed nowadays. It's not the show's fault that so many of its innovations have since become cliches of course.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wonder how the current streaming era of television production will age. There's so goddamn much of it--it's like every D-list celebrity + in the world got their own 10-episode one-camera streaming series you've never heard of and it's somehow on Season 3. It's getting harder and harder to find common ground where we even can talk about poo poo like Doug, LOST, and such.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THOMAS

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Twilight Zone will forever hold a special place in my heart, and its impact on television back in the late 50s/early 60s can't be overstated, but man even some of the most classic episodes just come across as ham handed nowadays. It's not the show's fault that so many of its innovations have since become cliches of course.

Alfred Hitcock Presents too, although most of those hold up surprisingly well.

mind the walrus posted:

I wonder how the current streaming era of television production will age. There's so goddamn much of it...

I think it'll hold up pretty well. I'm not sure if the overall quality is better or if there's just more content but there's been a ton of great poo poo on TV the last decade or so. I think the cream of it will be remembered.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That reminds me of other anthology shows:

Tales from the Darkside has largely not aged well, because most of it was shot on shiteo (or at least the copies I can find around the internet are as such), although the movie is :krad: for the third segment alone.

The Twilight Zone reboots have all been various shades of terrible. They either remake old episodes badly, have crappy new ones, or in the worst offense do a loving sequel to a classic with the same actors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ycUsUctxQg

Tales from the Crypt has, imo, aged surprisingly well because it never pretended to be anything other than 1000% cheese at all times. The dialogue is crap, the stories generally rote, and the filming is almost always cheap-looking save the 1-3 "money shots" of gore per episode, but because it was adapting/trying to be like pulp 50s horror comics it works. It doesn't hurt that it had HBO to allow blood/sex and a ton of "name" actors in the first five or so seasons who can make the material work. The final season in England sucks though.

I never watched any The Outer Limits save the 1996 episode "Sandkings" just to see it. The original short story by the Game of Thrones author is way better; it's basically "Gremlins in space but the Gremlins are intelligent, killer ants and the owner is a mega-douche" and the episode is well, a TV show, but it's ok if you can tolerate 90s stuff.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, how did the doctors always manage to perform surgery completely poo poo faced all the time?

This part is totally believable, based on how many surgeons currently are functional alcoholics/addicts.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mind the walrus posted:

That reminds me of other anthology shows:

Tales from the Darkside has largely not aged well, because most of it was shot on shiteo (or at least the copies I can find around the internet are as such), although the movie is :krad: for the third segment alone.

Tales from the Darkside also had some really racist stuff in it.

Speaking of horror anthologies, Black Mirror is going to age so badly. Not that I think its good right now, but its pretty popular at the moment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Tales from the Darkside also had some really racist stuff in it.
Oh no poo poo? Do share. A really racist dude I knew introduced me to it so now I'm being really biased and unfair in my mind and I love it.

quote:

Speaking of horror anthologies, Black Mirror is going to age so badly. Not that I think its good right now, but its pretty popular at the moment.
Oh yeah. I found Black Mirror really novel for the first 6 months after I saw it, but now I can't stand it. There's good stuff in there, but it's honestly on par with Doctor Who in terms of production (and I say that as a genuine Doctor Who fan). The only episode I like start-to-finish is the one with the camera implants behind the ear, and that one is just a classic dinner story psychodrama with a tech twist.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Until youtube incontrovertably proved there was a 1 season children's cartoon starring Bruce Willis, I had written the entire thing off as a fever dream I had during a fifth grade ear infection and I still haven't met anyone in real life that remembers it.

https://youtu.be/crzXoICK56Q

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

mind the walrus posted:

I loved it growing up--had all the die-cast models n' poo poo--but when I revisted an episode or two as an adult the whole thing has some horrifying authoritarian "keep your head down, do your loving job, and don't question the way things are" themes to it.

Quelle apropos that this post showed up on Imgur today:

https://imgur.com/gallery/kylNN

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I saw that ages ago, but I had the revelation that Thomas was hosed up way before that. The show was playing on US PBS and the "Work Song" came on, and it hit me like a shot to the gut. Thomas was my world when I was a toddler, so it was quite a shock.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
M*A*S*H is good, though.

It's good.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Every show that had an episode about The Millennium

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Precambrian posted:

When you're binging Friends and all of a sudden everyone's wearing NYFD gear and you realize: you've just crossed into the post-9-11 episodes. SNL getting Rudy Giuliani to give them the okay to make jokes is... awkward now because we know how much of a piece of poo poo Giuliani is, but he was gold after 9-11. It was a weird time. Any other shows where you can tell it was made right after a national tragedy?

The West Wing episode Isaac and Ishmael, which was explicitly done as a post-9/11 response and is out of continuity with the rest of the show.

It's a really bad and hamfisted "Not all Muslims are bad!" PSA of an episode. Obviously that message is important and needed to be communicated, but it does it in such a pandering way that it loops around to :jerkbag: levels.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, how did the doctors always manage to perform surgery completely poo poo faced all the time?

They didn't, and whenever a character was too drunk to perform surgery (Hawkeye and that visiting doctor that one time spring to mind) it was a Big Deal. Best example is the episode where Hawkeye had to leave surgery and throw up because he was hungover, and Radar got pissy about it (he was having his tonsils out, IIRC), which caused an already guilty Hawkeye to go into a defensive rant about how he never asked to be anyone's hero and getting drunk is the only coping strategy he has.

M*A*S*H is the hill I'll die on and I've made my peace with that :colbert:

(Except for the stuff like when their actors were speaking Japanese or whatever instead of Korean. Not gonna defend that.)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

WampaLord posted:

The West Wing episode Isaac and Ishmael, which was explicitly done as a post-9/11 response and is out of continuity with the rest of the show.

It's a really bad and hamfisted "Not all Muslims are bad!" PSA of an episode. Obviously that message is important and needed to be communicated, but it does it in such a pandering way that it loops around to :jerkbag: levels.

hamfisted and pandering is par for the course for aaron sorkin. the west wing is good though, much less egregious than the newsroom

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Everyone says that about this episode, but I honestly don't see it. Yes the episode does Cirque de Solei levels of gymnastics to simplify a complex issue with centuries of political history down to "don't stone your neighborhood brown people you provincial shitburger," but at that exact moment in time I recall it being the best one communicated on a mass level. The reductive "Al Qaeda = Muslim KKK" bit was particularly clever in trying to make the message palatable to most of America, and I recall the kids in the classroom discussing the issues sounding a lot like the kids in my actual classes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Whitlam posted:

They didn't, and whenever a character was too drunk to perform surgery (Hawkeye and that visiting doctor that one time spring to mind) it was a Big Deal. Best example is the episode where Hawkeye had to leave surgery and throw up because he was hungover, and Radar got pissy about it (he was having his tonsils out, IIRC), which caused an already guilty Hawkeye to go into a defensive rant about how he never asked to be anyone's hero and getting drunk is the only coping strategy he has.

That was the episode where Hawk insisted Radar go into Seoul for some R&R and got shot.

As for the Twilight Zone - the 80s version had a lot of good stories (and quite a few future Trek stars). The 2003 version sucked.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Whitlam posted:

M*A*S*H is the hill I'll die on and I've made my peace with that :colbert:

You take that one, I'll take All in the Family. We've got the 70's 20% covered.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Everyone says that about this episode, but I honestly don't see it. Yes the episode does Cirque de Solei levels of gymnastics to simplify a complex issue with centuries of political history down to "don't stone your neighborhood brown people you provincial shitburger," but at that exact moment in time I recall it being the best one communicated on a mass level. The reductive "Al Qaeda = Muslim KKK" bit was particularly clever in trying to make the message palatable to most of America, and I recall the kids in the classroom discussing the issues sounding a lot like the kids in my actual classes.

Yea, but that was the problem, the target audience was kids that age and not adults.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BiggerBoat posted:

MASH & AITF started the trend of sitcoms where the characters managed to grow over time and not forget everything they'd done before (for the most part).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Yea, but that was the problem, the target audience was kids that age and not adults.
That's a valid argument.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I can understand finding a show dated in attitude or prejudice, but I don't understand why a show's subject matter being tied to old technology or events is taken as a bad thing (Minus the hilariously ignorant internet and video game episodes every crime show has done). It's a look into other times, and unless it's super-topical referential humor you could learn something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Soft counterpoint, mentioned in OP I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkaRX1rzJBU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kavak posted:

I can understand finding a show dated in attitude or prejudice, but I don't understand why a show's subject matter being tied to old technology or events is taken as a bad thing (Minus the hilariously ignorant internet and video game episodes every crime show has done). It's a look into other times, and unless it's super-topical referential humor you could learn something.

On a related note, Archer is set in a weird sort of nevertime where the Soviet Union exists alongside Dane Cook and Gordon Ramsey largely because the writers didn't want to spend too much effort working around the idea of mobile phones existing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

mind the walrus posted:

I got it on DVD, I think it holds up ok (but then again, I don't mind that the video quality on the DVDs is only slightly above VHS quality, so), at least the first season since I haven't gotten around to watching the other three, but its also got an awful lot of weird comedy episodes. Also the second episode is so loving weird, they're lucky it wasn't the pilot, the show'd have never gotten off the ground.

Edit: It must be noted that Tales from the Darkside is from before I was born, so I don't think it's nostalgia, most of these episodes I'm seeing for the first time.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
First run syndicated supernatural was somehow was a thing in the late 80s/early 90s. We had a Werewolf** series, Tales from the Darkside and Monsters (one just replaced the other, right?), a Dracula TV series, Freddy's Nightmares, etc. Was Friday the 13th/Friday's Curse also a First Run Syndicated show?

I actually enjoyed rewatching some old Friday's Curse/13th episodes several years ago late at night when some cable station was randomly reairing them one Summer at like 3AM, and I noticed they've put out a box set of the entire show.

**edit: I guess Werewolf was actually a very early FOX network show and not a first run syndicated one, but Fox's early days were pretty odd with their line-ups and scheduling, weren't they. Limited programming, limited hours of the week, limited days of the week if I recall.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Aug 7, 2017

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

mind the walrus posted:

iirc they loving "Cask of Amontillado" a train in the first episode (or book, can't recall) because he was disobedient.

It even comes up as the first result if you search google images for "for the love of god montresor"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That little poo poo had it coming.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

First run syndicated supernatural was somehow was a thing in the late 80s/early 90s.
It was kind-of a glory age for syndication--Star Trek: TNG comes to mind--so it makes sense. Low-budget anthology works really well for cheap shows to pad out dead air on fledgling cable networks. I really want to say The Twilight Zone movie/80s series kicked it off but I'm not researching to find out.

Also yeah, there's a reason that Rick & Morty episode with the "Needful Things" shop--itself a literal Stephen Kings reference they didn't change the name for--practically opens with Rick calling out a bunch of those anthology shows as sources for the plot.

poptart_fairy posted:

That little poo poo had it coming.
We don't know if trains even have a natural lifespan, so this is closer to the "Loki will have venom dripped into his eyes while restrained with his son's intestines until Ragnarok comes" end of the spectrum.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was the episode where Hawk insisted Radar go into Seoul for some R&R and got shot.

Thaaat's it. I knew I didn't have it entirely right.

BiggerBoat posted:

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sanford and Son is hella problematic too. Fred Sanford is a misogynistic bodyshamer because he always calls Aunt Esther ugly. And he always makes fun of her husband's alcoholism. And he always makes fun of their neighbor for being Puerto Rican. He's a racist. And he always makes fun of Lamont's friend Raulo for being a criminal, even though he's just a victim of circumstances.

Also they say the n-word sometimes but I don't know if that's allowed since the characters are African Americans

edit: and calling someone "a big dummy" is ableism. And pretending to have a heart attack is offensive to people with real heart problems