Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What did you do to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What did you do to it?

So it comes as in the bottom photo, cloudy and very rough looking so i took to it with 1200 sand paper and then a plastic polish and vola

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's amazing that barely anyone offers polished plexi options for WC components. Polishing plexi has been a common thing for years and years now and I've never seen a case where it doesn't massively improve the appearance.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Scarecow posted:

So it comes as in the bottom photo, cloudy and very rough looking so i took to it with 1200 sand paper and then a plastic polish and vola

Good job then, what a difference!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Strange concept:

I'm planning a build in a Lian Li DK-05X standing desk. (they're $700 off on Newegg until July 31! $1300 + ~120 shipping) It's a two-system desk. One will be an 8-core Ryzen system I already own for productivity and the other will be a gaming system I'm buying. Likely a 7700k, but will wait and see on Coffee Lake as a 6-core version of a 7700k might be worthwhile in the long run.

I was thinking about doing a single combined loop for both systems. The desk has space for three 360mm radiators and one 480mm radiator. (why they went asymmetric on the rear fans since their prototype is beyond me!) Why? I dunno, for funsies? Also, I suppose each system could then take advantage of massive cooling when the other was idle, and then when the production system is busy encoding or whatever, I can game on the other and the combined load is still easily handled.

And it might look cool?

My gut tells me this is probably dumb and has problems associated with it. Help me criticize the concept. What I can think of:

1) I'm not sure there's a way to have pump/fan control run on either system, so one would have to be the "master" system and be running for the other to function properly anyway. Unless I could just have one pump connected to either system? Can a single pump push through four radiators, two CPU blocks, and two GPU blocks? Still leaves the fan control issue. I suppose either system could just run half the fans, so if one was offline you still have passive radiator action from the other two which helps a bit.

2) System maintenance now requires taking both offline. Not really a huge problem, but it will likely result in profanity.

3) It's dumb and expensive and I could get a hooker instead

eames
May 9, 2009

That's a hilarious idea, please post pictures when it is done.
Regarding the pump question, I don't think a single pump is enough that gigantic loop. You'll want at least two in series, perhaps one per system. If you set up each system to control its own pump/fans by water temperature going off the same sensor then they should in sync and you have some redundancy.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
For #1, If you are blowing that much money on it already, how much more would a aquacomputer aquaero controller (or something like that) and a few temperature/flow sensors for the kit hurt? That way instead of depending on the CPU or GPU temperature sensors on one machine or the other, you could control the pump and fan RPMs based on the actual coolant temperature deltas to ambient and always get the optimal cooling solution regardless of which machine is busy at the time.

Use some PWM hubs/splitters to drive the radiator fans from one channel, and your pumps (plenty of PWM compatible D5 pumps out there) on another. You use PWM hubs because they can pull the power directly from a high amperage 12v source so you aren't limited to the 30w maximum of the controller, while still spliting the PWM signal from a that controller to everything connected to it. One system would still be the "master" in that the controller requires USB2 input, although it may be possible to program it and then simply power it off a USB wall charger afterwards. Same for the fans and pumps which could be powered from a 12v DC power brick independent of either computer from there. Obviously everything would have to be PWM because only it allows you to split the power source from the speed control, but that way the coolant loop could be run entirely independent of both machines without any guesswork.

Plus if you stuck that much radiator area in the system, you could probably dump 5000w into the loop and the only thing that would heat up significantly is the room its in.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Indiana_Krom posted:

For #1, If you are blowing that much money on it already, how much more would a aquacomputer aquaero controller (or something like that) and a few temperature/flow sensors for the kit hurt? That way instead of depending on the CPU or GPU temperature sensors on one machine or the other, you could control the pump and fan RPMs based on the actual coolant temperature deltas to ambient and always get the optimal cooling solution regardless of which machine is busy at the time.

Use some PWM hubs/splitters to drive the radiator fans from one channel, and your pumps (plenty of PWM compatible D5 pumps out there) on another. You use PWM hubs because they can pull the power directly from a high amperage 12v source so you aren't limited to the 30w maximum of the controller, while still spliting the PWM signal from a that controller to everything connected to it. One system would still be the "master" in that the controller requires USB2 input, although it may be possible to program it and then simply power it off a USB wall charger afterwards. Same for the fans and pumps which could be powered from a 12v DC power brick independent of either computer from there. Obviously everything would have to be PWM because only it allows you to split the power source from the speed control, but that way the coolant loop could be run entirely independent of both machines without any guesswork.

Plus if you stuck that much radiator area in the system, you could probably dump 5000w into the loop and the only thing that would heat up significantly is the room its in.

I was already thinking about a fan controller of some sort. I hadn't considered an independent 12v power brick to power everything. I can't quite picture how that setup would work. I assume that's just a wall plug on one end with a molex/sata on the other end? And then the molex/sata plug powers the PWM hub, which itself is plugged into the fan controller? Maybe with a molex/sata splitter so that two PWM hubs can plug into a single DC power brick.

eames posted:

That's a hilarious idea, please post pictures when it is done.
Regarding the pump question, I don't think a single pump is enough that gigantic loop. You'll want at least two in series, perhaps one per system. If you set up each system to control its own pump/fans by water temperature going off the same sensor then they should in sync and you have some redundancy.

Shits and giggles is the primary motivation.

edit: gently caress, the DK-05X is out of stock now at Newegg. Plan crushed.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 22, 2017

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Deuce posted:

I was already thinking about a fan controller of some sort. I hadn't considered an independent 12v power brick to power everything. I can't quite picture how that setup would work. I assume that's just a wall plug on one end with a molex/sata on the other end? And then the molex/sata plug powers the PWM hub, which itself is plugged into the fan controller? Maybe with a molex/sata splitter so that two PWM hubs can plug into a single DC power brick.
Yes, exactly. Keep in mind nobody manufactures something specific for this, so it requires some DIY tinkering, but nothing that someone building a custom watercooling loop should be bothered by.

Mine is from a long since recycled viewsonic flat panel monitor but it still reliably supplies up to 45w if I need it. Very useful hardware to have for anyone who wants to do loop maintenance/filling/draining without using one of those hotwire plugs for ATX PSUs.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Newegg sold out of the DK-05X, so that plan is torpedoed. They do still have the DK-04X with a similar big discount code, something like $500 off.

Backup, Even Stupider Plan: Put a PC case on top of the PC Desk.

Build like an ITX case with a tiny watercooling system. T-split one of the tubes off with another soft tube that connects to the desk loop. The little case would have maybe one 240mm radiator in it, but could piggyback off the DK-04X's loop. (1 quad and 2 double rads) Would need two lines, one for a return, I suppose.

Possibly use quick disconnects so the systems can be separated if necessary. Or some valves.

The independent fan controller setup wouldn't be feasible here, but that's a small sacrifice. The big system can always just idle when supporting the little system.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 22, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So its update time,

And today I get to show you why you should always flush out your brand new radiators every time as look at that gunk tisk tisk EK

Enhance!

I also drilled my first set of pass through holes, while the underside currently looks like there is plenty of room, the plumbing connecting the 360mm to the 560mm rad will have to come up into the main build area and connect there which I think will look rather nice over just a blank plate there

more to come when I find the time!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm starting to price out my next PC build and I've decided to venture into liquid cooling both as a learning experience and also for less noise at my desk.
I plan on only doing a custom CPU loop with soft tubing for now, so nothing too intense.
I've gathered the basics from watching youtube videos and reading up guides so I have a general grasp of the ins and outs. My biggest unknown right now is I want to make sure I'm buying quality parts all around. What brands should I be looking at? I went through the ekwb loop configurator but I don't want to blindly buy into their brand. What are some names I should look for and what should I avoid?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thermaltake is aluminum parts iirc, so avoid them if you are going to mix brands. I just went EKWB for my loop, it's been pretty great so far.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

PerrineClostermann posted:

Thermaltake is aluminum parts iirc, so avoid them if you are going to mix brands. I just went EKWB for my loop, it's been pretty great so far.

EKWB is pretty great and their P series kits are comprised of quality parts you will want to keep for good.
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-p360

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

couldcareless posted:

I'm starting to price out my next PC build and I've decided to venture into liquid cooling both as a learning experience and also for less noise at my desk.
I plan on only doing a custom CPU loop with soft tubing for now, so nothing too intense.
I've gathered the basics from watching youtube videos and reading up guides so I have a general grasp of the ins and outs. My biggest unknown right now is I want to make sure I'm buying quality parts all around. What brands should I be looking at? I went through the ekwb loop configurator but I don't want to blindly buy into their brand. What are some names I should look for and what should I avoid?

EK is high quality, but you will pay a bit extra. Their CPU blocks are second to none, and they seem to have the best range of GPU-specific water blocks. (there are lots of universal ones out there but these tend to leave the VRMs air cooled) Be careful that they have a lower-priced "fluid gaming" kit now that uses aluminum parts. It's important not to mix these with copper parts. If you use that kit, stick to that kit. Expanding it is fine but stick to the same types of part. (like their aluminum radiator line)

As far as other brands, I like Alphacool for their radiators. Good price, solid, and they have a smart design where their screw holes have plates behind them, so it's impossible to puncture the radiator core by putting in too long of a screw.

For pumps, several companies sell D5 pumps that are all the same pump core, good pump with low noise. Alphacool rebrands their D5 pumps "VPP655," for whatever reason.

Reservoirs probably don't matter much, so buy one you like the look of. There are lots of reservoir/pump combo units which are nice and simplify things.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Also keep in mind that EKWB is based in Slovenia, so you probably don't want to order directly from them unless you're in the EU.
I bought all my parts from Performance PC's. I have no real complaints besides their very clunky website. They seem to have the full range of EK parts, too, and they sometimes do free shipping deals if you're buying watercooling stuff.

Also, buy a couple extra connectors.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I live in the central US and I ordered parts for a complete water cooler loop direct from EKWB, it got here in less than a week for a $40 shipping charge via UPS. The only problem you might have is a lot of credit cards will deny the charge if you try it direct, so just use paypal (it costs you nothing extra) instead and it will go through.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
My EK stuff just came in today and it went from Slovenia -> Chicago for customs -> Guam in two weeks. You're definitely better off ordering from Performance PCs, I just didn't know about them when I ordered.

gonna try to cram all this bullshit into this :kheldragar::

also got this dumb wristband with it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I buy from EK because they build this poo poo across town and it gets here in less than 2 days. I'd buy off a reseller like amazon.de/ocuk otherwise.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I plan on purchasing all my parts over time so as long as it's not my last purchase, a long ship won't bother me. I think my only concern was EK didn't offer the liquid color I wanted so I'll probably look elsewhere for the additive.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I am probably going to build a ThreadRipper system pretty soon and watercooling has me intrigued. I like a quiet system, my current system ( Mac Pro 5.1 ) is almost inaudible and I really like that.
What will be a good AIO? I have looked at the NZXT X62 and it seems to get very good reviews.

Any opinions?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I am probably going to build a ThreadRipper system pretty soon and watercooling has me intrigued. I like a quiet system, my current system ( Mac Pro 5.1 ) is almost inaudible and I really like that.
What will be a good AIO? I have looked at the NZXT X62 and it seems to get very good reviews.

Any opinions?

I don't see any problems there. Its a nice 280mm rad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Any opinions?

It's unclear how well current AIOs will work with Threadripper since they were all designed for much smaller chips. The common Asetek design (as used by the X62) doesn't fully cover the dies with its fin stack, and parts of the dies are only contacted by screws.

AIOs should work fine at stock settings (AMD is including an Asetek bracket in the box after all) but they might struggle to dissipate heat from the edges of the dies when overclocking. We won't know for sure until the TR review embargo is lifted.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

It's unclear how well current AIOs will work with Threadripper since they were all designed for much smaller chips. The common Asetek design (as used by the X62) doesn't fully cover the dies with its fin stack, and parts of the dies are only contacted by screws.

AIOs should work fine at stock settings (AMD is including an Asetek bracket in the box after all) but they might struggle to dissipate heat from the edges of the dies when overclocking. We won't know for sure until the TR review embargo is lifted.

Wow I glossed over that article and thought the cold plate was actually touching the heatspreader. Why the hell is that being listed as compatible?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Solumin posted:

Also keep in mind that EKWB is based in Slovenia, so you probably don't want to order directly from them unless you're in the EU.
I bought all my parts from Performance PC's. I have no real complaints besides their very clunky website. They seem to have the full range of EK parts, too, and they sometimes do free shipping deals if you're buying watercooling stuff.

Also, buy a couple extra connectors.

When I was at the top of my WC game (2 x GTX 295 waterblocks + CPU + 2 + Thermochill PA120.2s + 2 x 120.1 Black Ice SR2 rads + 2 x DDC2 DIYINHK modded, letmejustlistmycredsthanks), Performance-PCs was my go-to store.

However, they do overcharge on shipping as I later confirmed with weights / shipping costs. Not sure if that's the case now as this was 5+ years ago, but that rubbed the the wrong way. As someone who is part-owner of an online store, we don't try and make money with excessive shipping charges, nor try to play it off as a quirk of the automated "calculator".

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 7, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

redeyes posted:

Wow I glossed over that article and thought the cold plate was actually touching the heatspreader. Why the hell is that being listed as compatible?

because otherwise Threadripper would launch without a compatible CPU cooler :v:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Speaking of EK's shipping, I just bought a monoblock from them directly (not available on amazon or newegg) and the inlet port fuckin leaks under pressure. I can see how it passed QA testing, it literally doesn't leak a drop until I turn the pump on. Some tiny rear end seam in the threading for the inlet port. (changing out fittings didn't help no matter how hard I tighten it)

Now I get to deal with an RMA across the ocean :(

I'm pondering just supergluing around the inlet port with the fitting screwed. (or some other epoxy that will stand up to water forever) But that seems like a dumb loving idea considering this is right above a very expensive processor and motherboard that will absolutely die if it leaks again.

Please convince me not to be stupid.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Deuce posted:

Speaking of EK's shipping, I just bought a monoblock from them directly (not available on amazon or newegg) and the inlet port fuckin leaks under pressure. I can see how it passed QA testing, it literally doesn't leak a drop until I turn the pump on. Some tiny rear end seam in the threading for the inlet port. (changing out fittings didn't help no matter how hard I tighten it)

Now I get to deal with an RMA across the ocean :(

I'm pondering just supergluing around the inlet port with the fitting screwed. (or some other epoxy that will stand up to water forever) But that seems like a dumb loving idea considering this is right above a very expensive processor and motherboard that will absolutely die if it leaks again.

Please convince me not to be stupid.

Don't use superglue, water will break it down and it'll leak again.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Don't use superglue, water will break it down and it'll leak again.

More please. There's no ultramegaglue that I could possibly depend upon to permanently fix this defective product. Right. Right?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wouldn't, because if it did leak, I'd have to seppuku out of shame. But 2 part epoxy would probably do it. Not a fast setting one.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 8, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

See if they'll cross-ship. Or return for refund and buy another one and eat the shipping cost.

Not worth a leak.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Teflon tape should work fine, give it a try. It turns leaky rear end 120 psi air compressor fittings into leak free happy time fittings. Youtube how to wrap it and give it a shot. Nice part is its trivial to remove if you whoops it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Teflon tape is some crazy poo poo, can confirm. I don't think I've ever used it for water cooling in particular, but it makes great seals.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I managed to get two EK FC980-TF5 as well as an acetal 3-slot bridge for $6 each and $3 each respectively so I guess I am watercooling my current rig instead of the next which was the plan.

Whats the word on running multiple components in parallel? It would make things a lot cleaner to manage in my small case. I am planning a loop in my P400s. Back 120mm radiator, front 280mm. D5+reservoir in the front behind the 280mm, two GPU blocks and a CPU block with a parallel GPU bridge. I was thinking of having the GPU bridge in parallel with the CPU block and the back radiator so I can connect the loop only to the bottom of the case and not having it running across the top back to the pump.

Pump/res -> GPU -> CPU block -> 120mm radiator -> GPU -> 280mm radiator -> Pump/res

Like this:

But with the back radiator also in parallel.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

redeyes posted:

I don't see any problems there. Its a nice 280mm rad.

Cool.

repiv posted:

Crap, they are listed on the AMD site as compatible with ThreadRipper. Will take a look.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Crap, they are listed on the AMD site as compatible with ThreadRipper. Will take a look.

Compatible just means it will keep the CPU from setting on fire, it doesn't necessarily mean it performs well :cheeky:

Asetek are supposedly working on a new AIO design specifically for Threadripper so this is only a short term issue anyway.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Yeah, the coolers work but may be suboptimal. How much a difference it makes remains to be tested.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Just wanted to stop by and say that I too have preordered a 1950X and will be watching what you nerds do closely so that I can copy. AIOs no longer satisfy me, I need to go deeper

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Just wanted to stop by and say that I too have preordered a 1950X and will be watching what you nerds do closely so that I can copy. AIOs no longer satisfy me, I need to go deeper

EKWB will have one out on TR launch. I would make sure you have some good radiators to go with it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good case that's affordable and supports large radiators?