Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Ulio posted:

If GTAV is a slog for you it might not be the game for it. You aren't supposed to be slogging through the main mission but enjoy the open world and do stupid poo poo. Maybe try some other type of open world games or games that are just streamlined missions.

what are the best open world games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Saints Row 3 and 4 are pretty loving awesome.
Red Dead Redemption if you have a PS3.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

She Bangs the Drums posted:

You forgot Sleeping Dogs.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
GTA V is now bad because Take Two insists on trying to kill modding because they are out of touch weenies.
Any threat to cash card sales even if people play single player is bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm subjecting myself to Grimoire and will have a full writeup of my thoughts in a few hours, but for now I want to leave you all with a photo of the most hilariously awful male character portraits I have ever seen in a game.

My favorite is row 4, column 3.

Here are the female portraits

Once again, row 4 column 3 takes the cake.

Edit: Okay, there's no way I can take two hours of this before deciding whether I refund. Here's the story of my first and only 30 minutes of playing Grimoire:

11:50AM - started rolling characters. The very first thing you do is your bonus rolls to determine starting points (unclear what exactly they're for). You only get 3 rolls, then you have to cancel out of the character create process and start again to keep rolling. Final rolls are based on 4D8 but you also have the option to roll 5D6 - no idea why you would since you can sit here and eternally scum for the rolls you want. Since rolls range from 4 to 32 there's a LOT of rolling to create even a single character, assuming you want high rolls.

11:54 - finally finished rolling stats on my first of eight characters, a Drake Fighter. Lots of classes to pick from. Then you choose one place to allocate ALL of your rolled points: HP, attributes, skill points, or "Destiny". No explanations about what anything does. There are 11 attributes, some are the standard INT WIS WIL STR CON stuff, but there are a few with no explanations like "FEL" and "MET". Characters have 6 different armor values that are unexplained: NAC, BAC, CAC, IAC, MAC, TAC

11:56 - I have to create 7 more characters. To add characters to a party you have to select them from a list of 100 character slots. The only way to select them is a horizontal slider, there are no buttons to move incrementally through it, so you have to click and drag to imprecisely select the character you want. The movement of the slider isn't smooth and it's really hard to select the character you want.

12:00 - 3 characters done. On the plus side, there are a ton of races/classes in this game and I'm a sucker for that stuff. Some classes can't be selected during character creation. There's no indication on whether they'll need specific requirements later so I'm shooting from the hip. Lots of visual bugs on character creation screen, like mouse cursor duplication.

12:02 - 4 characters done. I've been blindly clicking the auto-select portrait button for every character because there are a million portraits and they all look like poo poo. I just realized it's selected a portrait of an orange cat wearing a metal hat for 3 of my characters.

12:12 - Finally done creating a party. I went to save it, there are premade parties. One is called TESTING4. I started the game, got a text blurb about how my party woke up from a dream but doesn't remember what it's about, and that's it. I have unexplained items with no tooltips on my hotbar items. I click a character to open the inventory and the game crashes.

12:18 - I re-launched the game, assembled my party and started again. This time I was able to click my character's portrait. There are 22 different damage types each with thier own resistances and the screen is covered in schizophrenic panes displaying random unexplained stats. Closed my inventory and took a few steps forward and got into a battle.

12:20 - Just killed the first of three enemies in this battle. You have to manually click on each character's portrait and select an action for them before finally clicking a button to process the turn. Each attack animation is a few seconds long but there's no actual "animation" going on, you just have to wait while it processes the attack. You can select up to 3 different types of basic attack for each weapon and they have weird names like "flick".

12:23 - Killed the second enemy. Typing this while I wait for the death animation to finish. It takes a solid 7+ seconds for the enemy portrait to fade away when it dies.

12:25 - Just finished the battle and I can't stand this. The entirety of combat was sitting back and watching excruciatingly slow animations and battle log processing. I tried to alt-f4 to refund but alt-f4 doesn't work. You can't alt-tab either. I can't find an in-game button to open a menu or close the game so I'm forced to use task manager.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 6, 2017

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

monster on a stick posted:

You forgot Sleeping Dogs.

I did! Slam a dude on swordfish heads all day everyday

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I found GTA V boring as gently caress because it's a series about causing mayhem except woops! One protagonist doesn't want none of that hood poo poo, the other has 0 reason to cause mayhem and only one is a crazy person and thus kind of qualified to be a character in such a game (but it takes a while to get to him and even so he is kind of unlikable.)

It just didn't gel together. Besides, as a dirty foreigner I find modern america is eye-rollingly tiresome, parody or not.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

She Bangs the Drums posted:

I've never played any from that series, which of those two would be the best?

Damnit I've alwayssss wanted to play RDR but I don't have a ps3 :/ It looks so amazing. A western open world game? drat son

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

I didn't expect someone who couldn't find the fun to find the point.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Damnit I've alwayssss wanted to play RDR but I don't have a ps3 :/ It looks so amazing. A western open world game? drat son

It's on Xbox too if you have one. I should replay it sometime, s'fun game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bully: Scholarship Edition

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

The first hour or two of GTA5 was good and fun. The first heist was interesting because it seems like that's what the rest of the game is going to be like - planning robberies where different things can happen depending on who you bring, what you did, how well you react to things going wrong during the job - but nope, after that its just the same shootout over and over between some of the most boring mission design (drive here while you listen to talking, listen to talking when you get there, drive back listening to talking) I've ever seen. And then you reach the end of the game with, no matter what you did, not enough money to buy anything of note in the city so you better get to grinding in multiplayer or buying fake money.

If you don't plan on playing GTA Online and don't love yourself some hilarious Rockstar "social commentary" wit then just stop

I bought the game from 2015 Christmas sale, to finally beat a GTA game and also play online with 3 friends. In 2 months I managed to get about 30% through the game, it just wasn't fun enough to continue.
Shooting feels like nothing, movement is just straight up terrible. Though back then it didn't bother me as much because it was new shiny thing and cutscenes were cool. Just Cause 2 had terrible shooting but it was still very enjoyable thanks to great movement grappling hook and infinite parachutes provided.
GTA V doesn't even have the amazing car damage system GTA IV had. I spent like half of my free roam time just trying to deform cars as much as I could without them exploding. Nothing like that in V.

During the first half of 2016 I played like 85 hours of online with 3 friends though. We did just 5 things: car sumo, various race modes, first person slasher mode (1 player with shotgun against others wielding flashlights in dark indoor maps) and freeroam stunts - these 4 were actually crazy fun with friends. 5th thing we did was grinding the last heist for money which was dreadful - basic gameplay just isn't good enough for something like that to be fun for me.
Never tried playing online with randoms, I just don't see any fun in having no voice communication and possibly awful people.

Now it's pretty much this why I find it a slog:

quote:

but nope, after that its just the same shootout over and over between some of the most boring mission design (drive here while you listen to talking, listen to talking when you get there, drive back listening to talking) I've ever seen.

I just want to finally be done with it so I can uninstall it and download Hitman in its place. Seems like I might be torturing myself with this.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The big roguelike review someone posted in here about a week ago was great! (Thanks roguelike reviewer!) It made me remember Dungeonmans, which I backed on Kickstarter and ever since it rereleased on Steam I put 12 hours into it. This morning I booted it up, started a new world, and 8 hours later I came to my senses and took a break. I lost two heroes and the third is still going strong, in fact over never been this far in the game. I just cleared a mountain fort and fought a real big bastard at the end of it. That dude had at least 4,000 HP.

The game sense to have changed a good bit since I last played it. I'm rolling around as a wizard/necro hybrid and things are going very well. This games a blast and everyone should play it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

lordfrikk posted:

I like Hollow Knight a lot but some enemies are just so tedious to deal with and it sours the experience a bit for me, especially coupled with some long corpse runs when going to back to bosses. Same for barebones fast travel system but I've heard they're doing something with that in the latest update so we'll see.
What enemies are tedious to deal with in Hollow Knight?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 6, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

IronicDongz posted:

What enemies are tedious to deal with in Hollow Knight?

DEEPNEST

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What's wrong with deepnest? It's a cool scary place you fall into and get swarmed by silverfish things. There are centipede monsters which are not really monsters(more like platforming obstacles) and spiders later which are all easy.

The only enemy that has much HP in deepnest are the guys who block and you can kill them fast with spells or by pogoing on them

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

IronicDongz posted:

What's wrong with deepnest? It's a cool scary place you fall into and get swarmed by silverfish things. There are centipede monsters which are not really monsters(more like platforming obstacles) and spiders later which are all easy.

The only enemy that has much HP in deepnest are the guys who block and you can kill them fast with spells or by pogoing on them

You just described a tedious enemy to deal with right there, so there's your answer. Those blocking assholes are quite annoying and pogoing isn't really an option when they're stuck in a corridor. You can use spells but eventually you'll run out of mana. so you have to do this little dance until you deplete all their life. The other dudes in Deepnest aren't that annoying but between the trap and the maze-like characteristic of that level it adds up. The pogo jerks on Kingdom's Edge are also annoying.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

start with 3 then if you like it go to 4

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Since no one wants ONE PIECE BURNING BLOOD I'll just leave it lying here:
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=s8XXPXny7cKADXTV
Taken by someone who doesn't know how to say thanks

Sininu fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 7, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

RDR is on PS Now for PC, so you can play it for $15, just remember to cancel your sub if you finish it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sininu posted:

Since no one wants ONE PIECE BURNING BLOOD I'll just leave it lying here:
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=s8XXPXny7cKADXTV

30 fps, pass

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I tried to like Burning Blood since I did enjoy reading the source material. The fighting mechanics are super weird though and how they tell the story isn't that great. It's okay I guess. It covers the Marineford story arc which was one of my favorite parts.

The 30fps is a huge bummer.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

this guy found something weird online but liked it

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm subjecting myself to Grimoire and will have a full writeup of my thoughts in a few hours, but for now I want to leave you all with a photo of the most hilariously awful male character portraits I have ever seen in a game.

*snip*

Thank you for taking the bullet for us. I had hopes for Grimoire (slim though they were), but I am not touching it for $40. If it dropped to $5 I might take a shot...

It prompted me to fire up W6 again. Had it from GOG, but bought it again through Steam (in a package with 7 and 8), and some genius built an automapper. It makes the game SO much more playable. Looking forward to porting my party through to the rest of the series.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The best part of Rome: Total War is once you've unlocked some of the other factions.
Sure, playing as a Roman faction is fun, but it's a fairly steady sort of march across the world that sees you take it over.
The real fun comes when you start as Germania and get the :killdozer: running on Turn 1. The result: complete carnage.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

First 10 minutes of Wuppo have been really charming so far.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Booted up Gungeon today and after getting to my first golden chest It came with a badge.

I got myself a quip-talking cop buddy!

Oh no!

RIP Coppo :rip:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I love Gungeon so much.

You can count me in the crowd whose last great Total War was Rome 1, too. I put an unhealthy amount of time into the original Shogun despite its flaws, but Medieval never grabbed me the same way. Rome sure as hell did, especially once I realized how much neat corner-case stuff you could do. When it came time for me to finally claim Rome, I didn't want to deal with the huge army it had levied. I had a spy who had contracted the plague, so I stationed him in the city until he gave it to the residents and then waited for the reaper to claim his dues. What remained of the army barely offered any resistance.

After that I didn't bother to look into Medieval 2, and then when Empire got such terrible reviews at launch I kinda left the series behind. I've always wanted to try Shogun 2 but it's so far out from the original I wonder if I would even like it as much.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wish I actually enjoyed Gungeon. It has lots of the things I like, but just enough dumb bullshit that it wore out its welcome a good deal sooner than it should have.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Empire isn't as bad as people say it is, especially not now. It's still one of the worst entries, but it was bloody ambitious and I can kinda respect it for that. Same with Rome 2, they tried something different from their standard formula but went the wrong direction. Their best games have always been the simplest though: Rome 1, Shogun 2 and Total Warhammer are all cut from the same cloth of simple is best. Shogun 2 and Rome 1 are my favourites mostly because of the brilliant soundtrack, nothing is more intoxicating than the victory music in those games.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

That's the only strike for me against TW: WH. I mean the soundtrack is competently done and appropriate, it just doesn't have the stand out pieces that I still remember from Rome even though I haven't played it in years.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Guavatin posted:

RIP Coppo :rip:

Did you talk to him after he got downed?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's the only strike for me against TW: WH. I mean the soundtrack is competently done and appropriate, it just doesn't have the stand out pieces that I still remember from Rome even though I haven't played it in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXQid4peS0

And yeah, I can play Rome 1, Shogun 2, and Warhammer for hours.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Empire isn't as bad as people say it is, especially not now. It's still one of the worst entries, but it was bloody ambitious and I can kinda respect it for that. Same with Rome 2, they tried something different from their standard formula but went the wrong direction. Their best games have always been the simplest though: Rome 1, Shogun 2 and Total Warhammer are all cut from the same cloth of simple is best. Shogun 2 and Rome 1 are my favourites mostly because of the brilliant soundtrack, nothing is more intoxicating than the victory music in those games.

remember napoleon

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

corn in the bible posted:

remember napoleon

Yeah, it was pretty ok. Fun musket battles if that's your thing, shite if it isn't.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
when terry pratchett describes a character whose face perpetually rests as if he'd just smelled a fart

this is what he means

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think for a lot of the human male portraits, Cleve Blakemore painted over a photo of himself

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think for a lot of the human male portraits, Cleve Blakemore painted over a photo of himself

...Wow. I'm not sure what I expected him to look like, but it wasn't that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Cleve Blakemore
Cleve
Cleveland
Grover Cleveland
Groverhaus

Grimoire is the Groverhaus of video games.