Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm here now, just had a dumbass meeting I had to be in

my problem is both Somber and Max are in this "why would they lie about this" area when it comes to their weird setup shenanigans. I can't see either of them making up that much bullshit, and they can't both be scum so at least one of em's got to be genuine about all the weird stuff happening to them.

Max I think has sounded way more townie in a general Mafia-read sense, but then Somber's frustration over the masonry sounded real especially when he'd already said that "Faux-Bif" was lying low before.

Max's role PM stuff sounds way more dodgy from a setup-spec sense, but then I wonder why as scum he'd tell such a bad story that was so easily disproven.

why does it have to be Max, Somber? Literally everyone was around and posting when we hit nightphase, and it was fast enough to reopen. It could've been anybody, even MT. Or was it early enough that it could've still been Sandwolf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
if you all don't find the masonry stuff compelling i don't blame you. i was mostly trying to bluster max into confessing but he's characteristically cool as a cucumber.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Bifauxnen posted:

Max's role PM stuff sounds way more dodgy from a setup-spec sense, but then I wonder why as scum he'd tell such a bad story that was so easily disproven.

I mean, at first Max passed the details of the haiku thing off as "something good would have happened to me but it can be taken advantage of" and kind of swept it under the rug. He didn't actually tell the bad story (the details of what the love letter did) until I pressed him on it.

The more I think about it, the less "protection that even protects against juggernauts" sounds like it could possibly be real. Like literally the only point of juggernauts is that they go through protection, right?

I'm also still having trouble buying that Max is an Oracle but only got one piece of information that was incorrect. Like what would be the thought process that lends pera to create a role like that?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

I mean, at first Max passed the details of the haiku thing off as "something good would have happened to me but it can be taken advantage of" and kind of swept it under the rug. He didn't actually tell the bad story (the details of what the love letter did) until I pressed him on it.

The more I think about it, the less "protection that even protects against juggernauts" sounds like it could possibly be real. Like literally the only point of juggernauts is that they go through protection, right?

I'm also still having trouble buying that Max is an Oracle but only got one piece of information that was incorrect. Like what would be the thought process that lends pera to create a role like that?

that's what's bugging me too is the fact no one has loving claimed anything at all. I was worried you might try and fakeclaim something cool at the last minute, but then you also claimed vanilla. I mean we could've had a regular doc and cop who just got lost along the way before they said anything, but it really sounds more like we've got a nearly vanilla setup with just goofy poo poo instead of traditional roles.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

maybe instead of a serial killer there's some 3P whose role is to make up the most crazyass weird poo poo to do to people, but if so I'm really mad I didn't get it

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

if you all don't find the masonry stuff compelling i don't blame you. i was mostly trying to bluster max into confessing but he's characteristically cool as a cucumber.

On the other hand, I would totally believe that a scum Somber thought that his best chance was to rush the vote on Max while I was clearly suspicious of him.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If I was going to take advantage of that I'd definitely have a fake result to back it up.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

No mmt, I do not have time to rehash yesterday. I think it is obviously not you and between a bif/max split, I feel better about bif. Max has not had what i'd call any genuine moments this game. Everything from his content to claims feel fake.

Somber, can you recap for me again why is it obviously not MT?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Also regarding Max -

Max posted:

I am paranoid
That faux-bif is using this
To pin on N.2.

---

Blame a dead person
Make us think faux-bif is dead
Goes to the background.

Max was also making a show of worrying about faux-bif in a way that looks fake to me. We weren't given any reason to assume that faux-bif can do anything outside of talking to Somber to I'm not sure I buy this reaction.

Max posted:

Feeling iffy about her disappearance, yeah.

---

Ugh

##vote mmt

I don't like how Max frames this vote as "feeling iffy about my disappearance" given that I'm pretty sure he knows that I sleep during the afternoon/evening and work late at night.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

he knows that I sleep during the afternoon/evening and work late at night.

(although admittedly I've been known to make exceptions to this for pera games :j:)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm home, I'm exhausted, and I'm cranky at Somber at the moment for earlier which is probably me being extra sensitive due to going so long in the car today. Since we have until tomorrow I'm gonna be lame and defer to tomorrow morning when I can think straight, though I do so while asking this again:

Somberbrero posted:

How does this point to me being scum?

If you're done with this game I don't blame you and feel free to vote however you feel if you'd rather this not go into Monday. I agree with bif that I don't want to prolong this and would rather rip the bandaid off here instead of going into a no-lunch, especially since the night's have been inconsistent. I feel like there is either a lot of crazy poo poo going on in the background and I've only seen a tiny sliver of it or there is only the semblance of crazy poo poo going on when really it amounts to nothing anyway.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

Also regarding Max -

Max was also making a show of worrying about faux-bif in a way that looks fake to me. We weren't given any reason to assume that faux-bif can do anything outside of talking to Somber to I'm not sure I buy this reaction.

I don't like how Max frames this vote as "feeling iffy about my disappearance" given that I'm pretty sure he knows that I sleep during the afternoon/evening and work late at night.

I am not always thinking about most people's schedules if they live in the continental US. It was extremely close to deadline when that vote was made and it looked like a no-hang was actually possible.

The "feeling iffy post" was actually made separately but you appended it to that post.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Anyway, night.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Max posted:

Anyway, night.

Somber, MT, you still around?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Working, sorta.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

Working, sorta.

if you were both still here I was tempted to just say gently caress it and turbo Max while he was gone so we can finally end this nonsense and see what he was on about.

but I am kind of wondering if it's an MT long con since she's the only one who hasn't got involved in weird loving poo poo, and the reason none of this poo poo makes sense is cause it wasn't supposed to make sense.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i'd definitely vote you before mmt. if she played the long game then she earned it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
now i'm thinking about it you fucker.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
goddamnit ##unvote

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

now i'm thinking about it you fucker.

is faux-bif still there cause if they are I want my loving Komaeda essay

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

i'd definitely vote you before mmt. if she played the long game then she earned it.

dude I'm already thinking about voting Max, just the longer this plays out I was thinking maybe I just assumed MT was too townie sounding the whole drat time

just please explain for me again why you were so drat sure it couldn't be her

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Bifauxnen posted:

dude I'm already thinking about voting Max, just the longer this plays out I was thinking maybe I just assumed MT was too townie sounding the whole drat time

just please explain for me again why you were so drat sure it couldn't be her

my brain! i used it and it was like 'hey murmur is town, also can we smoke a bowl after this shift?'

like do you want to convince me that it is mmt?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

my brain! i used it and it was like 'hey murmur is town, also can we smoke a bowl after this shift?'

like do you want to convince me that it is mmt?

I don't want to convince anyone of anything cause I got no loving clue and this time I don't even have a good subplot to go with for purely symbolic personal reasons instead

except maybe the Komaeda essay

MT, I remember reading your endurance challenge. When you just bullshitted for 7 hours, even about a Hamilton song you had not ever heard yet.

if you confess to the deception of being faux-Bif, in the form of finally taking that deception to its peak and writing an essay on Komaeda, I will then accept Somber's "you earned it" post, and I will vote whichever way you instruct me.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
catch me in the club turning on a dime 90m into writing fanfiction

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
also catch me in the club getting second place AGAIN

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peramene posted:

also catch me in the club getting second place AGAIN

Did you call for me?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
who said you could speak

get back in the lab

b i t c h

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

bah, she's prolly asleep now anyway

just so you know, you can also add a (but not really) to act like it's a false confession if that helps, haha

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

tell you what Somber, since you are probably the only one awake I will also extend this offer to you if you beat MT to the punch and confess to having made up the whole thing so you were basically talking to yourself

but you gotta write the essay

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lame, bif.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm awake and already home from work so should be around for most of the day.

Bifauxnen posted:

if you confess to the deception of being faux-Bif, in the form of finally taking that deception to its peak and writing an essay on Komaeda, I will then accept Somber's "you earned it" post, and I will vote whichever way you instruct me.

Haha c'mon, if I was impersonating you do you think my approach would be to do anything other than flood the masonry with :words: :words: :words:?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

Perhaps you missed the part where I posted :f5:?

I also think it's Max. I'm not buying the story that he's selling (Him being an oracle with no useful information, the existence of juggernaut-proof protection, that he played like someone who was turned into a miller, that a miller or juggernaut would exist in a game with seemingly no cop/doctor). Also, his general attitude (posting justifications for not stalling instead of just making cases, not sharing role-based info from the love letter when he got it)

##vote Max

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

Haha c'mon, if I was impersonating you do you think my approach would be to do anything other than flood the masonry with :words: :words: :words:?

well not once the jig was up!

but in any case, faux-Bif seems to have slacked on impersonating me well, so I was hoping someone would show them up :v:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hope you enjoy an oldschool effort post.

On Somber:

Day 1 has his early call out of me being aggressive with the early game. A callout I never really liked too much but it was early day 1 so I've let it go.

Interestingly the thing that came out of that whole exchange was Podima calling Somber out on that case.

Somberbrero posted:

not like, good, but it's a gut thing.

i find the roundabout way pod called me out weird. if he thinks i'm scummy, why not make that your point?

Somberbrero posted:

i don't understand the juxtaposition of these two things. my issue isn't with your content, it's how you are presenting it. it seems like this day cop thing is more important to you than pushing reads, am i wrong?

i'd probably cop sandwolf because he's generally lurky.

Aside from this, he argues against lunching Flam day 1. I point it out the Podima thing because I can see the logic in Somber deciding to then take out Pod early before he has a chance to sink his teeth into a Somber case.

Day 2: He's as perplexed as everyone about flipless rearing it's head and expresses concern over Bif voting Hal. Shows hesitation over wanting to case Jam at all based off his last game with im (a sentiment I understand given my last game with Jam and how that went.) But it still shows an aloofness to doing some actual casework that's noteworthy.

I'd call this post his first real meaty post he made in the game:

Somberbrero posted:

that's in the absence of any real pressure though. how would interpret that? do you see it as scummy because he was town that last game, or are you saying he's approaching this game with a different attitude?

Then the Masonry thing comes out.

We get a soft defense of Bif when MMT brings up Podima's vote against her.

Somberbrero posted:

this reads as fake. if it was an actual smoking gun, someone else would have ran with it. it's like, quintessential fake content.

This is a weird defense because, uh, why isn't it a smoking gun if MMT was the first to run with that theory? It's a strange way to dismiss a case. I'm assuming this was because of his masonry that he had yet to fully out with faux-bif and he was low key coming to her defense. I just want to point this out because it's indicative of a weird interpretation of arguments that he continues later.

Was then pretty certain of MMT being scums, even with is hosed up vote on Hal first (we all make mistakes) but it seems like he was using Podima's posts to justify his suspicion of MMT

Somberbrero posted:

in fact the more i read that page, the more i like mmt for scum. take a look at this:

versus this:

i don't think it's any coincidence that pod died. there's something fucky about both asiina and hal rushing to clear mmt as she's replaced. i'm wondering if the scum were going for a distancing strategy that picked up more steam than they intended and betrayer was pissed at being bussed, or decided it was best for the team.

it's circumstantial but i don't see any other cases grabbing me. ##vote hal

Reminder that he had just castigated MMT for doing the same exact thing a few posts up.

His response to me saying the info about the masonries was definitive. Him being the only one to have been in a masonry would lead me to think that he'd at least show some deference to the idea that I may be telling the truth about what I know. No such luck here.

Last bit for day 2, Somber wasn't immediately on board with the Jammy vote and felt stronger about me and MMT.

Somberbrero posted:

im crashing. as lovely as today was, tomorrow looks worse because i have this dickhead manager from another city coming in town for an entire loving week. i'm try to check in again before deadline but if not i fully stand by my murmur vote.

i''m really really trying not to spiral thinking about the mason thing but honestly i think if it's anyone it has to be murmur or maximillion. i just need to get that out there. or bif is just loving with me for reasons i don't understand.

Somberbrero posted:

I don't want to oversimplify and confuse the issue, but how much of this could be explained as poor town play rather than effective scum play? i see most of that posting as attributable to town as well.

I'd like to know when he turned the corner on MMT. It certainly wasn't until Day 3 because I think he's been on her case for most of the game.

Anyway he never ended up voting Jam, but he may have been beaten to the hammer there so no biggie.

:siren:

Somberbrero posted:

if there's anyone i'm NOT gonna vote, I feel like it's sandwolf. i've been agreeing with pretty much everything he's been saying.
:siren:

Somber, did you ever, at any point actually answer my question about this? Doing the re-read you barely acknowledge Sandwolf exists, so what about him did you agree with?

Then we get into the whole thing with this

Somberbrero posted:

:\ are you actively rooting for a modkill because you're about to win or something?

And I'm not exactly relishing rehashing this moment in the game, but this felt like a really bad misread of what MMT was responding to, something that Hal agreed with later down the line.

Somberbrero posted:

yeah dog i'm talking about you. christ. if you read through the past day we've been generally in sync and how are you simultaneously arguing that we're scumbuds pushing the same agenda and ALSO maintain the cognitive dissonance to pretend to not understand why i don't want to loving vote sandwolf? like you understand that we're on the same page! you're referencing it! it's the crux of your case, because sharing perspective is an alignment tell i guess?

Argumentative with Bif for asking for him to clarify his statement on Sandwolf. Here's his explanation, by the by:

Somberbrero posted:

i dunno if jam was town. on a gut level, yes? give me a list and i'll run through it.

i doubt anyone is actually going to show up, but ##vote max

I don't think we ever got an actual straight answer out of him beyond "I just agree with what he's posted" but never really pointed out exactly what was posted that he agrees with.

Oh, here is where he turned the corner on MMT

Somberbrero posted:

sadwolf, do you stand by your mmt vote? i'm getting frustrated to an extent but i feel like their posting today has been town. i think i'd rather vote max.

And oh look MMT is voting me bringing me to -1. I'll end this early to get this glorious post in but if bif hasn't hammered then at least she's town.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If you're thinking of hammering me bif just do it now, I have to run to work in 30 minutes and I'd rather watch my death and town lose in real time.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was gonna post more stuff but I kinda feel like I'm dead meat here. As for all the crazy poo poo about the masonries and the haiku, I have no idea what's going on with that, feel really in the dark about it, and generally am frustrated with how it played out. I want to see the setup at this point to put all the puzzle pieces together because even at mylo it doesn't make sense to me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oh no wait Somber unvoted me, never mind.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Anyway, final bit about Somber, why is the winky face thing indicative of me being scum? I want a clear answer on that at least before I am satisfied.

Somberbrero posted:

Max didn't fall for the ruse I set up, is still scum.

I'm frustrated with that reasoning.

I'll dive into Bif and MMT if people want or we can just end this torture here and now.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bif, here is a mini essay:

Hope, the only way
To equalize the whole world
To rid of despair.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

nuts, here I thought in this of all games I could surely get someone to write about my waifu

Max posted:

Bif, here is a mini essay:

Hope, the only way
To equalize the whole world
To rid of despair.,

this is a nice gesture though

• Locked thread