Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

The 7700HQ base speed is 2.8GHz and it turbos to 3.4GHz on all cores, 3.8 on single. The desktop 7700 turbos up to 4.2 actually but the mobile line doesn't stop at the 7700, there's an i7-7920HQ that's 300MHz faster across the board - max turbo only 100MHz slower than the desktop 7700.

That aside, when someone says "desktop class" I take that to mean "a quad-core with comparable clock speeds and IPC to normal desktop quad-cores" - not "as good as the best processor in the normal consumer lineup." I'll grant that it's a pretty loose term though.

My bad, I looked at the wrong numbers. So a smaller performance hit at ~20%, but not non-noticeable for any CPU intensive task.

Plenty of 7700HQ laptops were already suggested based on one interpretation that "desktop class" meant "quad core mobile chips". I suggested an alternative which comes with a full desktop CPU, but at the huge cost of portability.

Granted, the interpretation of "desktop class" is murky but generally I just tend to assume it means an actual desktop chip as opposed to "not ULV". I also learned today that you can get the F5 with a ix-7xx"t" chip which is a 35w desktop chip.

I have yet to see a laptop with the 7920HQ that counts as portable (MSI GT83VR), but you make a good point, there is the 7820HK which comes in laptops like the Clevo P650HS and Aorus X5, to give two 15" examples, and they are overclockable to 4/4.1 max turbo on all cores pretty consistently assuming you have a good paste job. And those two laptops are pretty portable, so assuming the poster wants as much power in as slim a package as possible and is not keen on a DTR, those'd be my two suggestions.

roomforthetuna posted:

I hate percents for this - it's ~29% faster or ~22% slower depending which one you use as the baseline. :argh:

I had to use a percentage calculator I googled, and just picked the clock speed hit dropping down.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I was about to edit and say that the 7920HQ looks to be unavailable in anything remotely reasonable. The 7820HQ is an option in the Thinkpad T470p, though.

There's also a Xeon E3-1535M that can go all the way up to 4.2 in the P-series mobile workstations but those are expensive and not very portable.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

My bad, I looked at the wrong numbers. So a smaller performance hit at ~20%, but not non-noticeable for any CPU intensive task.

Plenty of 7700HQ laptops were already suggested based on one interpretation that "desktop class" meant "quad core mobile chips". I suggested an alternative which comes with a full desktop CPU, but at the huge cost of portability.

Granted, the interpretation of "desktop class" is murky but generally I just tend to assume it means an actual desktop chip as opposed to "not ULV". I also learned today that you can get the F5 with a ix-7xx"t" chip which is a 35w desktop chip.

I have yet to see a laptop with the 7920HQ that counts as portable (MSI GT83VR), but you make a good point, there is the 7820HK which comes in laptops like the Clevo P650HS and Aorus X5, to give two 15" examples, and they are overclockable to 4/4.1 max turbo on all cores pretty consistently assuming you have a good paste job. And those two laptops are pretty portable, so assuming the poster wants as much power in as slim a package as possible and is not keen on a DTR, those'd be my two suggestions.

I had to use a percentage calculator I googled, and just picked the clock speed hit dropping down.

Yeah for some people, they need the absolute fastest CPU (for video transcoding or whatever) and they're going to have to get a desktop, because no laptop is going to be as fast, certainly not for the money. Those HQ mobile chips are effectively desktop-class, since you can find slower desktop chips with comparable TDPs. This is all in comparison with the typical dual-core ULV chips. So technically you're right in that the HQ CPUs aren't the same as desktop quad-cores, they're within the range of desktop parts and are definitely closer than the ubiquitous -U CPUs that are in the vast majority of mainstream laptops.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

I read the OP but it is confusing me. I need a new laptop for college as my old one decided to eat poo poo and die (an old Samsung R580, so you know how low my expectations are) I don't need to game intensely on it, though all of my gaming is on a laptop. However, I have not really been gaming much as it is so my expectations aren't huge. I have no interest in VR.

I was going to buy a ps4 later this year, but seeing as that's for fun and games, and this is in part something I am going to 100% be required to have, I'm looking for a laptop instead. I have little to no knowledge on what good laptop brands are.

I'm honestly curious, what specifically in the OP was confusing. I don't see that complaint very often.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Atomizer posted:

He was referring to most of these electronic components being made in China. Remember decades ago when PCs were in beige boxes? And you could occasionally find something nice like a metallic Lian-Li case? To stand out manufacturers started to create flashy "gaming" components, both in terms of materials and lighting (remember how just a few years ago RGB everything wasn't a thing?) Then everybody started copying each other and now we have the "gamer aesthetic." Now we're [hopefully] going back in the other direction.

Oh ok, I get yas. So really it's more 'US companies are the ones starting to reverse this trend', to a degree anyway. Just seemed a bit weird to be pinning the blame for this look on other countries' aesthetics, it's definitely a style that's been around a long time (it looks 80s as hell to me). But I can definitely see the market being stuck with it, I mean it's obviously working for them :awesomelon:

DrDork posted:

Also remember that many of the "gaming" laptops, like Clevos and Sagers, are not nearly as custom-built and hand-fit/engineered as a lot of the smaller and lighter ultraportable ones are. The advantage is they can use the same or similar casings for multiple setups, and drop in replacement parts fairly easy. The downside is space efficiency isn't as good.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks! I wonder if this MaxQ thing will help push the industry towards putting out nice low-key designs, instead of leaning into the 'literally a spaceship' model. It's obviously going to be niche, but if there are enough proof of concept designs floating around people might start expecting slicker gaming builds

Or at least from the other side, expecting a decent GPU option without having to sacrifice the basic look and feel of a normal laptop (which is all I want anyway). I mean there are nice convertibles now with 1050s in them! Surely we can start getting 1060s or something as a standard option in the normal form factor

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think the 1060 is about the point where nice form factors become pretty much impossible - I mean even the MaxQ version is quite a lot more power hungry than a 1050

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Not that much more though right? I've seen people complaining that the throttled MaxQ 1080 is around the performance of the 1070, but it's also about the same power consumption too. And you're getting smaller energy savings with the lower cards because they don't ramp up as much between models. I haven't looked at the actual numbers though

I mean yeah more power means more heat to dissipate than before, but there's engineering going into these new models that helps with that. The big GPUs have the tradeoffs like moving the keyboard forward to add venting and hilariously low battery life, but it feels like small improvements would be enough to make the more moderate cards doable where they weren't viable before? They got that low-end 1050 in a 2-in-1, isn't that some kind of progress? Or am I overselling that

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The only model out so far that has been specifically designed around Max-Q is the Zephyrus from Asus. Everything else with an MQ is just a chassis that was designed for the non-MQ variant of the tier below.

For example, the MSI GS63VR had a 1060, and now they've stuffed a 1070 MQ into the same chassis. The Clevo P950 had a 1060, and now they've put a 1070MQ into it.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Thanks for all the replies. Didn't mean to start any side-rails - by 'desktop CPU', I meant mostly no ULV versions, wasn't even sure if desktop processors were available in a laptop form. Apologies!

This machine is for playing videos (HD or higher resolution, often many layers at once) to multiple outputs simultaneously, sometimes with video effects applied. I assume processor speed and data read times are the most important for this, with graphics card being 2nd. Portability is just because I'm really sick of lugging around the 17" monster we use for this now.

I thought about the XPS15, even though I had some terrible experiences with their quality control (3 messed up displays). For this use though the display isn't so important. Also it has HDMI and Thunderbolt which is pretty great for this use case (I assume I can send video out of both simultaneously?)

The Aurous x5 also seems like a good, more powerful alternative. I'm really not sure if stepping the graphics card up will make a huge difference.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

It sounds like the XPS15 is right up your alley, though I have heard bad stories about their QA on screens. Like it was common to have one side be a completely different hue to the other.

If the Aorus X5 is too beefy for you GPU-wise, you could take a look at the Gigabyte Aero 15. It's got a 7700HQ, portable and has HDMI, Mini-DP, and a Thunderbolt 3 port (though TB3 might be capped at PCIE2.0 x 4 speeds, as in it may not be full TB3 spec as Gigabyte claims, but that's not for certain).

Another alternative could be Clevo P950; again, thin, light, 7700HQ, and this one has HDMI + 2 x Mini-DP. Also much cheaper than the other offerings.

If you don't mind a bit of heft (like, if you're not strictly looking for a laptop that's under an inch thick) you have a ton more options open to you across a wider value range.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 7, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Verge posted up a ThinkPad X1 Carbon review

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/7/16105800/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-review-ultraportable-laptop

They finally have non-insane pricing:

quote:

The model I’m reviewing is priced at $1,275 and comes with an Intel Core i5-7300U CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a worthwhile upgrade over the base X1 Carbon: a 256GB NVMe SSD.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I've heard that the 4K panels in the XPS 15 are hit and miss on color too. Does anyone know if there are similar issues in the 1080p model?

Looks like the Latitude E5480/5580s also have the i7-7820HQ as an option and have 3 display outputs; DP (over Type-C), HDMI and VGA. I'm seeing them at outlet.dell.com starting around 750-800 after coupon for refurb models with quad-cores and a 1080p screen.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Optikalusion posted:

This machine is for playing videos (HD or higher resolution, often many layers at once) to multiple outputs simultaneously, sometimes with video effects applied. I assume processor speed and data read times are the most important for this, with graphics card being 2nd. Portability is just because I'm really sick of lugging around the 17" monster we use for this now.

What sort of effects are we talking? Because just playing HD videos to a few monitors isn't something that you can't manage with basically any dGPU out there, and some iGPUs can manage pretty well, too. CPU speed will be largely irrelevant--almost any i5 or better these days will be more than capable. Disk read speeds might matter depending on what bitrate your videos are, but if you're using any sort of compression like 264 or 265, even a run-of-the-mill SSD will be able to feed a few videos at once without issue. If you manage to get a NVMe SSD, you're talking read speeds in the 1000+MB/s rate.

Basically what I'm saying is it sounds like your hardware requirements are actually a good chunk less than you might think, unless there's some portion of your use-case here that I'm missing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
What's the go-to for a laptop for web design these days? I don't care about it running any modern games, I just need:

An IPS display and good resolution so I have plenty of workspace. A 14" or 15" display.

Something fairly lightweight. I won't be travelling with it too much, but still.

Good battery life.

A cheaper-end video card. I don't care about playing any modern games, but I might hook it up with a second monitor sometimes and I'll probably use it as a Netflix machine occasionally.

Something around the $500 mark is what I'm aiming for, though I'm willing to go a little higher for quality and longevity.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

The Verge posted up a ThinkPad X1 Carbon review

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/7/16105800/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-review-ultraportable-laptop

They finally have non-insane pricing:

I have so much regret not going for a new X1C when my last one died. The XPS15 is fine for what it is, but the X1C was such a solid machine in every way. Live and (re)learn.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
e: ^^ Yeah, the X1 Carbon is quite nice. I got the Skylake model as a work machine and pretty much my only complaint is that the 1440p display is almost unreadable when remoting into Windows 7 VMs that don't scale correctly.

BJPaskoff posted:

What's the go-to for a laptop for web design these days? I don't care about it running any modern games, I just need:

An IPS display and good resolution so I have plenty of workspace. A 14" or 15" display.

Something fairly lightweight. I won't be travelling with it too much, but still.

Good battery life.

A cheaper-end video card. I don't care about playing any modern games, but I might hook it up with a second monitor sometimes and I'll probably use it as a Netflix machine occasionally.

Something around the $500 mark is what I'm aiming for, though I'm willing to go a little higher for quality and longevity.

You don't need a discrete graphics card of any sort for Netflix or multiple screens, iGPUs for a few generations now have supported 3 screens (assuming enough outputs are provided) and hardware decoding. With that budget I would probably look at business laptops a generation back like Thinkpad T440/450 or Latitude E7440/7450. You could get a consumer machine a bit newer, but I think you may lose out in durability and weight more than you gain.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

@Atomizer

Did you manage to get your brother to install MSI AB? Definitely interested to see what kind of clocks the Helios boosts to on the 1060, compared to the Aeros and Blades, and Clevos!

E: For context, I think the Aero 15 is power limited with only a 150w power brick. Overclocking it gains you 10% at max, and I feel there's more headroom for boost in other 1060 lappies.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

What sort of effects are we talking? Because just playing HD videos to a few monitors isn't something that you can't manage with basically any dGPU out there, and some iGPUs can manage pretty well, too. CPU speed will be largely irrelevant--almost any i5 or better these days will be more than capable. Disk read speeds might matter depending on what bitrate your videos are, but if you're using any sort of compression like 264 or 265, even a run-of-the-mill SSD will be able to feed a few videos at once without issue. If you manage to get a NVMe SSD, you're talking read speeds in the 1000+MB/s rate.

Basically what I'm saying is it sounds like your hardware requirements are actually a good chunk less than you might think, unless there's some portion of your use-case here that I'm missing.

It's hard to say exactly, basically at the moment our machine starts to stutter when we play 5-6 HD clips over 2-3 outputs with some effects. I assumed data I/o speed and processor were the bottlenecks. The new machine should be a little more future proof, maybe even working with 4K content in the future, across as many outputs as possible.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Eletriarnation posted:

e: ^^ Yeah, the X1 Carbon is quite nice. I got the Skylake model as a work machine and pretty much my only complaint is that the 1440p display is almost unreadable when remoting into Windows 7 VMs that don't scale correctly.

You don't need a discrete graphics card of any sort for Netflix or multiple screens, iGPUs for a few generations now have supported 3 screens (assuming enough outputs are provided) and hardware decoding. With that budget I would probably look at business laptops a generation back like Thinkpad T440/450 or Latitude E7440/7450. You could get a consumer machine a bit newer, but I think you may lose out in durability and weight more than you gain.

Oh, good to know. What if I went up to $700ish? There's a MicroCenter relatively close to me if they have any deals.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Optikalusion posted:

It's hard to say exactly, basically at the moment our machine starts to stutter when we play 5-6 HD clips over 2-3 outputs with some effects. I assumed data I/o speed and processor were the bottlenecks. The new machine should be a little more future proof, maybe even working with 4K content in the future, across as many outputs as possible.

I think it would be worthwhile for you to figure out where exactly the bottleneck is: load up whatever scenario you have that causes the stuttering, then open a resource monitor (the built-in Windows one is probably fine--hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc and click over to the Performance tab). If, while stuttering, your CPU use isn't at >95%, it's not your CPU. If it is >95%, then obviously it is your CPU. 5-6 not-4k video streams shouldn't really tax even a consumer SSD these days, but would probably be tough for a crappy laptop spinning-HDD to serve.

What laptop are you currently using, anyhow?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Atomizer posted:

A 7-year life for any PC is pretty ridiculous, especially a laptop considering it's not going to be receiving any meaningful hardware upgrades. Hell, a 7-year-old PC is going to have, what, a Core 2 CPU or first-gen i at best? You might have some of them still kicking around after several years, but to expect all of them to survive that long is naive.

I'd say, in terms of desktop GPUs a 1060 [should] retail for US$150-200 more than a plain 1050, so on a laptop I say an upgrade of that component alone is worth at least a US$200 price premium because you're stuck with what you start with since you're not realistically going to upgrade a laptop dGPU. So if you paid 1k Euro funbux for a 1050 laptop, a 1060 is worth at least 1.2-1.3k for a 1060 just for the immediate performance increase as well as better longevity.

That Medion is probably worth the upgrade, although it's a large 17" model first of all (make sure you want that) and the RAM should be upgraded to 16 GB right out of the box (which would be another ~US$50 if you can just drop in another 8 GB module.) Also it's a Skylake CPU, which isn't bad, but Kaby Lake has been out long enough where I'd consider that "old" and it should carry a clearance price. This is the laptop I recommend (to anyone with access to it,) hands-down, over any other 1060 or 1050 system because of everything it packs in there for the price. Literally the only thing it needs is some kind of HDD, internal or external, for game storage. So if you can somehow place an order from the US Amazon go for it.

Thanks so much for the advice! I can order that laptop to the UK, however if I do I don't believe I can return it if something goes awry. Some of the reviews also mention it being a bit fragile, too, which makes me extra wary.

There's a site that allows you to build your own machines that includes a three year warranty. For the same price I can get;

Which I think may be a safer bet. Thoughts?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

@Atomizer

Did you manage to get your brother to install MSI AB? Definitely interested to see what kind of clocks the Helios boosts to on the 1060, compared to the Aeros and Blades, and Clevos!

E: For context, I think the Aero 15 is power limited with only a 150w power brick. Overclocking it gains you 10% at max, and I feel there's more headroom for boost in other 1060 lappies.

Not yet, he's still downloading and installing a ton of games (he got a 2.5" 2 TB SSHD for it) and I need a little time where I'm off work and he's around to do a little benchmarking.

Calico Heart posted:

Thanks so much for the advice! I can order that laptop to the UK, however if I do I don't believe I can return it if something goes awry. Some of the reviews also mention it being a bit fragile, too, which makes me extra wary.

There's a site that allows you to build your own machines that includes a three year warranty. For the same price I can get;

Which I think may be a safer bet. Thoughts?

For the same price, they're close. Ignoring things like build quality and materials on this one (which I have no knowledge of,) it's got half the RAM and SSD. Those two are worth about US$100, so all in all it's close, and you'd have to add an HDD to either. You can make do with a 128 GB SSD as just the system drive if you don't install any games on it, but I'd definitely suggest adding an extra 8 GB of RAM. Service & support will likely be less of a hassle with a locally-procured laptop, though. The important things are the i7 and 1060 6 GB, because those are the non-upgradeable components.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Anyone here have experience with light gaming on a m3 12" Macbook? Mostly I just want to be sure it can handle indies like Stardew and whatnot without chugging like my ancient macbook white did. And on that note have people settled on which usb-c hub is the best value?

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Good battery life.

I'm looking for more or less the same, but specifically with a 15" display. Most recommendations in the OP are 14" and less.

Barring specific models, is the Latitude series in general solid? If so, I could probably pick and choose within that range (e.g. E5530?).

edit- What's the scoop re: E6530, especially wrt longevity and screen quality?

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 8, 2017

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

I think it would be worthwhile for you to figure out where exactly the bottleneck is: load up whatever scenario you have that causes the stuttering, then open a resource monitor (the built-in Windows one is probably fine--hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc and click over to the Performance tab). If, while stuttering, your CPU use isn't at >95%, it's not your CPU. If it is >95%, then obviously it is your CPU. 5-6 not-4k video streams shouldn't really tax even a consumer SSD these days, but would probably be tough for a crappy laptop spinning-HDD to serve.

What laptop are you currently using, anyhow?

Probably a good idea, I'll need to find out how to do that on a mac.

We're using a fully pimped out last run model MacBook 17". It's been a real trooper the last years. And yes, a PC replacement is fine, we can migrate over.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hadlock posted:

I'm honestly curious, what specifically in the OP was confusing. I don't see that complaint very often.

Mostly it was just a bunch of numbers which probably make a lot of sense to people who know computers, but I don't really.

Unrelated, what is thread opinion on refurbished if I'm buying something cheap? I'm looking at an hp computer on ebay for like 469, that the non refurbished version is like 799. I'm not really computer savvy so I don't know if it's bad to buy refurbished though.

link to judge my utter incompetence at choosing a laptop

I 'm not sure how I'm supposed to find the laptops you guys have been discussing me getting, because nothing on here seems to list gpus and trying to search for MX150 just gets me individual parts for presumably a desktop...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You probably don’t want a 17” laptop and even if you do you definitely don’t want one with a 1600x900 TN display.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Mostly it was just a bunch of numbers which probably make a lot of sense to people who know computers, but I don't really.

Unrelated, what is thread opinion on refurbished if I'm buying something cheap? I'm looking at an hp computer on ebay for like 469, that the non refurbished version is like 799. I'm not really computer savvy so I don't know if it's bad to buy refurbished though.

I 'm not sure how I'm supposed to find the laptops you guys have been discussing me getting, because nothing on here seems to list gpus and trying to search for MX150 just gets me individual parts for presumably a desktop...

So you need a laptop for school and lightweight indie gaming, with no triple-A stuff, is that correct? If so, you're probably going to want to look for a laptop in the 14~15" size range (17" is just way too big for lectures and stuff).

You definitely want a 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution screen because 900p or 768p just just trash-tier.

An IPS screen would definitely be preferable -- it's the type of screen. The typical choices are IPS vs TN; the latter being faster for twitch games (Counter Strike) but having worse colours and viewing angles. The IPS has better colours, accuracy, and viewing angles, but slower response times which is something you won't notice anyway.

Do you have a budget in mind? Also, are looks / aesthetics, as well as thickness and weight, very important to you or not really?

I don't know what kind of GPU requirements Rimworld and Battle Brothers have, so perhaps others can help you with recommending a GPU.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It doesn’t look like either of those titles need anything more than integrated graphics (maybe someone who plays them can comment)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Asking for a friend: a laptop from $300 to $350 that isn't a total piece of poo poo filled with bloatware. It's for a teacher who really just needs to do lightweight office work and Internet browsing. I'm going to assume that battery life, and storage would also be nice, and a lower weight for travel would be preferable. Checking the OP, some refurbished Lenovos seem decent, but I think they'd prefer to buy new. The super low end stuff isn't an option. A recent deal on a 2016 model would maybe be the best.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chromebook

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My budget caps out around 650. That was about how far i can comfortably go. Aesthetics don't mean everything to me but I did like my computer for being colorful even though I know that's stupid.

A big screen is nice because my girlfriend and I liked to watch blu rays together on it, and I also have some pretty bad eye issues, but yeah I did not exactly look into how huge 17 inches was before now. My previous one was a 15.6 and I could see it fine.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Refurbished is fine; I buy refurbs all the time, they're basically like-new.

I concur that that HP you linked is just "meh."

KittyEmpress posted:

My budget caps out around 650. That was about how far i can comfortably go. Aesthetics don't mean everything to me but I did like my computer for being colorful even though I know that's stupid.

A big screen is nice because my girlfriend and I liked to watch blu rays together on it, and I also have some pretty bad eye issues, but yeah I did not exactly look into how huge 17 inches was before now. My previous one was a 15.6 and I could see it fine.

I have a pretty good idea what you're looking for. Now for reference
here's a brand-new video on that same Acer with the MX150
that I referred to. Now Acer makes a ton of variants of every model it sells. The problem here is that on their own site they don't even specify which models do or don't have the MX150. That, coupled with the fact that they're not widely available, AND you're on a time crunch, AND it seems like a lot of the better-equipped models are going to be overpriced is leaning me towards telling you to just go for one of the 940MX models.

The MX150/1030 is going to provide more GPU performance, however the non-lovely models are going for around the $800 price point which puts them in the same tier as low-end 1050/Ti laptops, which have at least quad-core CPUs and offer far better CPU/GPU performance for the money. Also it looks like the new "Aspire 5" line is somewhat stripped down compared to the "Aspire E15" models (which have model numbers starting with "E5", confusingly) in terms of lacking a keyboard backlight, dual-storage support and that "soldered-RAM, only 1 user accessible module" limitation.

With all that being said, this is what you want. There are other examples of that exact model number on eBay in the $500-600 range if this one sells, but this is a nice laptop that has everything you need with modest gaming ability. It's a previous-generation model with a Skylake CPU but that's fine, it has a Full-HD display, backlit keyboard, and a decently-sized SSD. If you'd like you can add any 2.5" drive for extra storage, and you don't need to upgrade the 8 GB of RAM but it's easy to do if you want; just pop open the central compartment on the bottom and you'll see the RAM slots and m.2 slot to your right and the 2.5" bay on the left.

sector_corrector posted:

Asking for a friend: a laptop from $300 to $350 that isn't a total piece of poo poo filled with bloatware. It's for a teacher who really just needs to do lightweight office work and Internet browsing. I'm going to assume that battery life, and storage would also be nice, and a lower weight for travel would be preferable. Checking the OP, some refurbished Lenovos seem decent, but I think they'd prefer to buy new. The super low end stuff isn't an option. A recent deal on a 2016 model would maybe be the best.

Seconding a Chromebook, which will do Web browsing and Google Docs or office.com, with generally great battery life. Remote storage is recommended, but you can add a USB drive or often an SD card for local storage. CBs are almost exclusively among the most portable laptops, aside from the Acer 15 and the tanky Dell 13. Also, I hear schools love CBs nowadays so your teacher friend would probably already be familiar with them.

If for some reason he/she needs a Windows laptop for cheap, this is the one I recommend. $350 new, cheaper used/refurbed and particularly on eBay. It's a version of the laptop I recommended to Kitty above just without the dGPU. Everything about it is fine, it has the same 1080p display and backlit keyboard, with good performance. I recommend adding another 4 GB of RAM ($25) and adding a 128 GB m.2 SATA SSD for a boot drive ($50) but it will work fine as-is for the stuff you mentioned.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

My 8 year old MacBook just crapped out, and I’ll probably replace it with that acer e 15, cuz I don’t wanna spend apple money again. How tough is the transition to the PC world?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Depends what you do with your computer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

meanolmrcloud posted:

My 8 year old MacBook just crapped out, and I’ll probably replace it with that acer e 15, cuz I don’t wanna spend apple money again. How tough is the transition to the PC world?

If everything you do is in a browser, you won't notice any difference.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

dissss posted:

You probably don’t want a 17” laptop and even if you do you definitely don’t want one with a 1600x900 TN display.

*shrugs* I love my 17.3" laptop.. I travel with it almost weekly.. But mine is a 1080p display

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

meanolmrcloud posted:

As a programmer, it's been tough. Thankfully Ubuntu on Windows helps to keep a similar work flow and having access to a decent package manager. UoW doesn't have access to GPU, so that's a bit of a pain for machine learning, but with Javascript & GPU ML libraries coming out, that may be moot soon enough.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nybble posted:

As a programmer, it's been tough. Thankfully Ubuntu on Windows helps to keep a similar work flow and having access to a decent package manager. UoW doesn't have access to GPU, so that's a bit of a pain for machine learning, but with Javascript & GPU ML libraries coming out, that may be moot soon enough.

Why not just run Ubuntu at that point? I've used 14.04 then 16.04 on several laptops without any major issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So would raising my budget by a hundred or so dollars be a massive gain in use for a time? I can maybe squeeze 800 if it will mean a big jump, because at that point I can probably start looking at it as a primary entertainment platform instead of as a secondary one compared to a console?

Still not expecting max res everything awesome, but if 150 will get something like inquisition from unplayable to even minimum resolution, I could force myself to make that jump.

Is this a bad computer for the price?