Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Judge is hitting like poo poo right now, swinging and missing like crazy, and basically doing everything wrong he was doing right in the first half.

But every once and awhile he hits a ball and it just flies out of the stadium because he's silly.

The fact that he hit an outside pitch out to opposite field is good though, means he isn't pulling off nearly as much as he has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shawn Cotureier posted:

RIP Darren Daulton :(

Was it him or Lenny Dykstra that was the crazy one?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Steven Souza Jr. hit the Rays’ first walk-off dinger since 2014 :toot:

Unfortunately the offense has scored 2 runs in 27 innings.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Your Taint posted:

Was it him or Lenny Dykstra that was the crazy one?

Both were crazy in their own way

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Luigi Thirty posted:

Steven Souza Jr. hit the Rays’ first walk-off dinger since 2014 :toot:

Unfortunately the offense has scored 2 runs in 27 innings.

The brewers starters this weekend were on fire.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

so the Dodgers are gonna be 79-32 after they finish off the Mets, which made start thinking about their chance to set the win record. The current mark is 116, so they need to go 38-13 the rest of the way to get to 117. that's a winning percentage of .745, which is actually lower than their current win percentage over the last 51 (.862). As of now, they're on pace for 115 wins. if they went 26-25 the rest of the season they'd still win 105 games, which is absurd!

this Dodgers team really might be the best we've ever seen in our lives

e: outside of matchups against Colorado, Arizona, and Washington, every team they'll face is under .500 by a decent margin too

After 111 games, the 2001 Mariners were 80-31, and the Dodgers are 79-32. We've seen more unlikely things than a team gaining two games in the standings in the final two months.

The modern (post-deadball) record for wins in the NL is 108, set by the 75 Reds and 86 Mets. That one seems close to a lock to be topped by this team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

https://twitter.com/billplunkettocr/status/894404485342273537

V: I agree with Cody

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tom Gorman posted:

Boog Powell is apparently 75 years old, has osteoporosis and the physique of Dusty "The American Dream" Rhodes, this is a bad trade for the A's imo

Well the A's didnt really lose anything for him so w/e, good trade for Beane

Kind of odd for the M's tho, sure he's a batting upgrade over our current 1b but not by a ton, and he's just a 2 month rental

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Not sure if I love or hate this

https://twitter.com/Transniqqa/status/893606618218332165

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

it is like

impossible to give a gently caress about the Oakland A's anymore

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

They have a young and pretty promising team right and the next round of call-ups could be cool and fun and no yeah gently caress it you're right

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i wish andy laroche were here to hold me through these dark and troubling times

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Well the A's didnt really lose anything for him so w/e, good trade for Beane

Kind of odd for the M's tho, sure he's a batting upgrade over our current 1b but not by a ton, and he's just a 2 month rental

you have the 2nd-lowest OPS by first basemen in MLB and your prime 1B can't hit righties, and you added a guy who is hitting righties at .286/.391/.557. whether you platoon or just start alonso it's a significant upgrade and all it cost was a PED junkie with an A+ baseball name whose ceiling, from what I've read, is "guy bad teams have to pretend can play center field"

Yonder's probably not as good as he was in May or something but it's not like some crazy BABIP thing. He makes way less contact and strikes out way more but hits for more power, because that's what he's trying to do now.

Anyway some young A's are doing cool stuff this year but since the entire roster turns over every three years it's hard to get too attached. Matt Chapman will make a fine Yankee in 2020.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

N:(from rotoworld.com)
Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Tigers and Astros have been in touch this month regarding a possible Justin Verlander trade.
Morosi cautioned that he's "unsure if there is momentum in talks." The 34-year-old Verlander has already cleared revocable waivers this month, so the Tigers are free to negotiate with all 29 teams. Trading him remains difficult, as he's owed $60 million through 2019. It's unclear if the Tigers are willing to cover any of his remaining salary. Verlander owns a mediocre 4.20 ERA over 21 starts this season, though he has pitched much better in his recent outings.

V:
Liriano sucks and all the local shaming by the fans & media (and even Keuchel) is causing Ludnow to make it right??

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 7, 2017

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The Red Sox have been playing good and entertaining baseball recently and that makes me very happy. Adding Nunez and Devers has surpassed my wildest expectations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/gfraley/status/894550782233784320

who's number 3

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Goodnight, sweet prince :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0WEbVBmI1U

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Tigers and Astros have been in touch this month regarding a possible Justin Verlander trade.
Morosi cautioned that he's "unsure if there is momentum in talks." The 34-year-old Verlander has already cleared revocable waivers this month, so the Tigers are free to negotiate with all 29 teams. Trading him remains difficult, as he's owed $60 million through 2019. It's unclear if the Tigers are willing to cover any of his remaining salary. Verlander owns a mediocre 4.20 ERA over 21 starts this season, though he has pitched much better in his recent outings.

V:
Liriano sucks and all the local shaming by the fans & media (and even Keuchel) is causing Ludnow to make it right??

Make it right by going after broke rear end Verlander?

Maybe he can go after Colon and Dickey next

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Make it right by going after broke rear end Verlander?

Maybe he can go after Colon and Dickey next

Um excuse you but Colon just had a complete game victory

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

MrMidnight posted:

V:

Not that I expect Verlander will actually get moved but if he did I think it would just be a mistake. There's no way we wouldn't end up eating half his salary and we'd lose one of the few pieces of good homegrown talent that Detroit has had lately. Detroit won't be relevant again for another 5 years at least, let's hold onto something that the fans can enjoy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Don Baylor was on the first Red Sox team (1986, because of course)I was really cognizant of, so this news bums me out :smith:

https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/894556710248960001

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

howe_sam posted:

Don Baylor was on the first Red Sox team (1986, because of course)I was really cognizant of, so this news bums me out :smith:

https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/894556710248960001

I remember him as the first Cubs new manager right after I was reinvigorated by 1998 and Jim Riggleman was axed.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Not that I expect Verlander will actually get moved but if he did I think it would just be a mistake. There's no way we wouldn't end up eating half his salary and we'd lose one of the few pieces of good homegrown talent that Detroit has had lately. Detroit won't be relevant again for another 5 years at least, let's hold onto something that the fans can enjoy.

If they're 5 years away why wouldn't you move a guy in his mid 30s for someone who'll be ready when that window opens?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Someone made a compilation of Hawk calling walkoff losses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMmojEJdijY

"and this ball game is ovah"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Explosionface posted:

I remember him as the first Cubs new manager right after I was reinvigorated by 1998 and Jim Riggleman was axed.

Seemed like a decent guy buy was an awful manager.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel like a failure of a fan for turning off yesterday's game when Beltran came up in the 9th with one out and the bases loaded. I just assumed a GIDP

Granted, he did ground out, but it was just a FC and then the rally happened. Oh my god Bregman smoked that ball

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Someone made a compilation of Hawk calling walkoff losses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMmojEJdijY

"and this ball game is ovah"

I was hopeful but the Thome walkoff from 2010 is going to be my white whale forever, I think :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Finally found it

RIP (not Frenchie)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the royals/mariners series this weekend was one of the stranger and more entertaining sets of baseball games I've seen recently.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Seattle is a game over .500 and 1.5 games back of the wildcard lol the AL is a joke

Are the Dodgers going to set the wins record this year?

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

IcePhoenix posted:

Um excuse you but Colon just had a complete game victory

Seriously? Baseball is weird man.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

Seattle is a game over .500 and 1.5 games back of the wildcard lol the AL is a joke

Watch them pull a White Sox and poo poo the bed in the nods.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the problem is that no one in the AL actually wants to make the playoffs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chilihead posted:

https://www.mlb.com/video/colons-complete-game-win/c-1688264583?tid=226594200

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

N: Tim Anderson continues to dislike Marcus Stroman, commenting on a picture of him on MLB's instagram with "FAKE"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/tim-anderson-takes-shot-stroman-social-media-calls-fake/

V: Marcus Stroman is great and Tim Anderson is nobody. :c00l:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

chilihead posted:

Baseball is the best sport simply for the weirdness of it.

A hitter can do everything right at the plate, put one over the fence, but the OF could leap and pull it back in resulting in an out, but the next guy could have an excuse me swing, hit the ball 30 feet, and end up on first base.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Probably not. But they will win more than any previous Dodgers team and I'm pretty stoked about that.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
If you don't want the CF to make a leaping catch at the wall to rob you of a home run, just hit the ball harder. Duh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Your Taint posted:

Baseball is the best sport simply for the weirdness of it.

A hitter can do everything right at the plate, put one over the fence, but the OF could leap and pull it back in resulting in an out, but the next guy could have an excuse me swing, hit the ball 30 feet, and end up on first base.

One of the more fun parts about it is that even today, there's records and feats that are over a hundred years old, like the Dodgers going 43-7.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If you don't want the CF to make a leaping catch at the wall to rob you of a home run, just hit the ball harder. Duh

Aaron Judge account spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Probably not. But they will win more than any previous Dodgers team and I'm pretty stoked about that.

They need to go 38-13 the rest of the way to break the record, which is actually better than their current winning percentage but considering the start they got off to and how they've been playing the last couple of months...

e: What I mean is they got off to a slow start and have actually been playing better than their ridiculous .712 winning percentage

• Locked thread