Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

According to the man's own personal blog he was a goonish twerp 27-ish years ago when he started developing Grimoire but then he transformed into a Man's Man when he chokeslammed a korean boy through a store's window during the 1992 LA race riots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

Waffle! posted:

Did you talk to him after he got downed?

That was my goal... Until I ended up dying :(

I swear most of the times I suck at this game and just as I'm about to quit
I do a run that takes me to the forth floor, which in turn brings me riight back into it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dmboogie posted:

...Wow. I'm not sure what I expected him to look like, but it wasn't that.

i expected more chins tbh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think for a lot of the human male portraits, Cleve Blakemore painted over a photo of himself

looks like ted cruz ate paul ryan

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

I'm subjecting myself to Grimoire and will have a full writeup of my thoughts in a few hours, but for now I want to leave you all with a photo of the most hilariously awful male character portraits I have ever seen in a game.

My favorite is row 4, column 3.

Are those the in-game portraits?
If so, I hope they got permission to re-use artwork from the Dragonlance Chronicles.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I shan't get over how much this guy likes Grimoire

https://twitter.com/felipepepe/status/894378353821499392

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Kragger99 posted:

If so, I hope they got permission to re-use artwork from the Dragonlance Chronicles.

I KNEW I recognized that dude:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is it Limbo of the Lost all over again?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

lol the answer is death

SelenicMartian posted:

Is it Limbo of the Lost all over again?

I wish, it's just a bland time-displaced game. If you remember those garbage shareware games that used to exist back in the mid-late '90s that were poo poo out in an afternoon but demanded $25 for the full game, everything I've seen of Grimoire's graphics and sound design remind me of that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If Grimore was $5, $10, maybe even $15 and if it wasn't built on code literally written 3 decades ago and if the interface worked and it didn't have random crashes on events like clicking the left mouse button, I think the rest of it would actually be very tolerable and even cool in a way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

I wish, it's just a bland time-displaced game. If you remember those garbage shareware games that used to exist back in the mid-late '90s that were poo poo out in an afternoon but demanded $25 for the full game, everything I've seen of Grimoire's graphics and sound design remind me of that.

a neanderthal falls through time and into 2017. after uploading his Gamemaker '87 tutorial level, he tweets row upon row of word salad. grasping the nearest stranger by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried grimoire"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

StrixNebulosa posted:

That puzzle looks less like a DEEP INTRICATE LOGIC-REQUIRING TEST OF WITS and more like one of those puzzles who's answer is in the manual that the devs added in as a form of copy protection.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

That puzzle looks less like a DEEP INTRICATE LOGIC-REQUIRING TEST OF WITS and more like one of those puzzles who's answer is in the manual that the devs added in as a form of copy protection.
Betrayal at Krondor had the best riddle-chests which makes me wonder how many he plagiarized from here: https://notendur.hi.is/eybjorn/krondor/riddtest.html

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That thing from Bioshock Infinite isn't even meant to be a puzzle.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Man who likes objectively terrible thowback RPG is dumb, whoda thunk it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SirSamVimes posted:

That thing from Bioshock Infinite isn't even meant to be a puzzle.

Yeah, right? it's the only note he had to enter a sky world, this isn't loving myst

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If Grimore was $5, $10, maybe even $15 and if it wasn't built on code literally written 3 decades ago and if the interface worked and it didn't have random crashes on events like clicking the left mouse button, I think the rest of it would actually be very tolerable and even cool in a way.

also this game actually looks alright in pictures but watching videos/streams it kinda looks bad in play. not bad because it's old it just looks weird for some reason.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

He's appreciating the effort, but even that guy acknowledges it's got problems:
https://twitter.com/felipepepe/status/894396419619999744

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sininu posted:

First 10 minutes of Wuppo have been really charming so far.

Juffo + Wup = Wuppo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkYOi_z1Irk

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Isn't Wizards of the Coast insanely protective and litigious about its IPs?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I'm afraid the NDA keeps me from answering that question. :saddowns:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

you know dragonlance might just be so old that penguin publishing or somebody owns the rights

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I actually looked it up before posting that, according to the authors who created it in a 2014 blog post WotC owns it and won't let them use it anymore

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sininu posted:

First 10 minutes of Wuppo have been really charming so far.

i love wuppo

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wildtortilla posted:

The big roguelike review someone posted in here about a week ago was great! (Thanks roguelike reviewer!) It made me remember Dungeonmans, which I backed on Kickstarter and ever since it rereleased on Steam I put 12 hours into it. This morning I booted it up, started a new world, and 8 hours later I came to my senses and took a break. I lost two heroes and the third is still going strong, in fact over never been this far in the game. I just cleared a mountain fort and fought a real big bastard at the end of it. That dude had at least 4,000 HP.

The game sense to have changed a good bit since I last played it. I'm rolling around as a wizard/necro hybrid and things are going very well. This games a blast and everyone should play it.

Once you had your fill of Dungeonmans (which I also enjoyed immensely), give Tangledeep a shot. It's still in EA but the dev is pushing out fixes and large updates quickly. I believe the goal is to have a full release at the end of 2017.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I actually looked it up before posting that, according to the authors who created it in a 2014 blog post WotC owns it and won't let them use it anymore

quick someone email wotc and have griomoire removed from steam with a dmca

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's fun to slay with the DMCA...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wildtortilla posted:

The big roguelike review someone posted in here about a week ago was great! (Thanks roguelike reviewer!) It made me remember Dungeonmans, which I backed on Kickstarter and ever since it rereleased on Steam I put 12 hours into it. This morning I booted it up, started a new world, and 8 hours later I came to my senses and took a break. I lost two heroes and the third is still going strong, in fact over never been this far in the game. I just cleared a mountain fort and fought a real big bastard at the end of it. That dude had at least 4,000 HP.

The game sense to have changed a good bit since I last played it. I'm rolling around as a wizard/necro hybrid and things are going very well. This games a blast and everyone should play it.

:woop: It worked, it worked!

Dungeonmans is great and I hope you continue to have fun with it! :D

Ragequit posted:

Once you had your fill of Dungeonmans (which I also enjoyed immensely), give Tangledeep a shot. It's still in EA but the dev is pushing out fixes and large updates quickly. I believe the goal is to have a full release at the end of 2017.

Yup, the intended goal is to have it at 1.0 by December and so far he seems on track for that! Also, yes: Tangledeep is excellent and if you love Dungeonmans you are very likely to love this too. It's a good time to be into roguelikes!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dias posted:

You just described a tedious enemy to deal with right there, so there's your answer. Those blocking assholes are quite annoying and pogoing isn't really an option when they're stuck in a corridor. You can use spells but eventually you'll run out of mana. so you have to do this little dance until you deplete all their life. The other dudes in Deepnest aren't that annoying but between the trap and the maze-like characteristic of that level it adds up. The pogo jerks on Kingdom's Edge are also annoying.

Three charged attacks and they go down like chumps.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Stupid question, but I am writing up my weekly pub trivia and was trying to figure out the total number of games available of steam. I went to https://steamspy.com/ and looked at the steam stats section. It there really over 2 million games on steam or am I looking at the wrong info?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fat Samurai posted:

Three charged attacks and they go down like chumps.

Tedious does not mean hard. Anyway, every Metroidvania has a jerk enemy.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Raged posted:

Stupid question, but I am writing up my weekly pub trivia and was trying to figure out the total number of games available of steam. I went to https://steamspy.com/ and looked at the steam stats section. It there really over 2 million games on steam or am I looking at the wrong info?

I have no idea what you're looking at but filtering the store search to just games returns 16,678 entries which I believe is an accurate count.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dias posted:

Tedious does not mean hard. Anyway, every Metroidvania has a jerk enemy.

It usually means "time consuming", which they aren't.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

2mil copies of games purchased.

edit: wait that can't be right. idk then, sorry.

edit 2: I was looking at the 'Steam Stats' tab and the number on the graph corresponds to Total games owned: 2,640,804,955.

Koburn fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 7, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

StrixNebulosa posted:

:woop: It worked, it worked!

Dungeonmans is great and I hope you continue to have fun with it! :D

Yup, the intended goal is to have it at 1.0 by December and so far he seems on track for that! Also, yes: Tangledeep is excellent and if you love Dungeonmans you are very likely to love this too. It's a good time to be into roguelikes!

The only thing I hate about Tangledeep is how bad the Gambler class is, whatever it's called. I love gambling-type classes in games, but it's just a real bad class on its own. Either that or I missed some SECRET TRICK to it that makes it not awful. Instead I ended up falling in love with the wuxia-based class. I love its weird gimmick of movement attacks.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Raged posted:

Heads up that no one is going to know what Steam is and you'll look like a huge dork.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

StrixNebulosa posted:

In the actual puzzles department, I finished Dishonored 2 yesterday, whipping out a pen and a notebook to work out the entirely optional Jindosh Riddle was a blast.

Too bad the game kind of suffered for having those very cool gimmicky levels and then the final part of the game just turned into a slog. Going for Shadow probably wasn't a good idea either since it sharply limits your gameplay, leads you to quicksave/quickload a ton, and sometimes the mechanics just aren't supporting you enough (weird glitches with detection, Far Reach not doing what it looks like it's doing, etc.).

Still a good game but I like Prey more.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Thanks for the help

The Joe Man posted:

Heads up that no one is going to know what Steam is and you'll look like a huge dork.

Been running a Pub Trivia for 13 years I can't possibly look like more of a dork

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Funky Valentine posted:

Hopefully, that isn't the case, because he stil hasn't written the drat manual! Also, resolution issues are because those resolutions "did not exist a few years ago." Because, when I write I game over the course of decades, I know I put a checkmark on "tested resolutions" 5 years before release.

Like, seriously, this dude is slobbering all over his own knob for halfassedly releasing a broken game 4 days late and sometimes fixing a bug. Hinterland released four updates in the first four days that The Long Dark went live!

By the way, is there a thread for specifically for making GBS threads on this game? Bonus points if its a gathering place for "politically motivated activists...body surfing the edge of [a tsunami]."

The Joe Man posted:

It'd probably work at my bar trivia, but only as a tiebreaker, which follows Price Is Right rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Is River City Underground still bad?