Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

John Murdoch posted:

Omar supremacy motherfuckers.

Why would you spoiler this bit of gospel truth?

The true, actual canon ending is the dance party, of course.

DX:IW is seriously such a great game, but it's really hamstrung by super obvious glitches. Unlike DX and HR, the inventory is more like a standard shooter utility-wheel kind of thing that you scrollwheel through, which honestly works pretty okay for the game. The problem is that it really limits your inventory space, and due to some really lovely coding items that SHOULD stack (like multitools) occasionally don't, starting like halfway through the game. I've never dug around in it too hard but I think they have multiple item IDs for the same thing in a few cases, causing the issue. The only saving grace there is that lockpicks were rolled into multitools so you weren't trying to keep up with two kinds of tools.

Another thing I wasn't a huge fan of is that the hidden unique weapons all look pretty much identical to the base model, and they're rarely much fun to use. Most of the time when I play DX I end up using the Dragon Tooth Sword for most of the endgame because holy poo poo it is a lightsaber broadsword (...lightbroadsword?) and it gibs motherfuckers nigh instantly. In IW, the hidden Dragon Tooth Sword is (iirc) completely identical to the weird swords everyone else uses, and doesn't do NEARLY as much damage. It's a shame, it would be so useful on those slow armored dudes with the tiny triangular weak point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

food court bailiff posted:

Why would you spoiler this bit of gospel truth?

The true, actual canon ending is the dance party, of course.

DX:IW is seriously such a great game, but it's really hamstrung by super obvious glitches. Unlike DX and HR, the inventory is more like a standard shooter utility-wheel kind of thing that you scrollwheel through, which honestly works pretty okay for the game. The problem is that it really limits your inventory space, and due to some really lovely coding items that SHOULD stack (like multitools) occasionally don't, starting like halfway through the game. I've never dug around in it too hard but I think they have multiple item IDs for the same thing in a few cases, causing the issue. The only saving grace there is that lockpicks were rolled into multitools so you weren't trying to keep up with two kinds of tools.

Another thing I wasn't a huge fan of is that the hidden unique weapons all look pretty much identical to the base model, and they're rarely much fun to use. Most of the time when I play DX I end up using the Dragon Tooth Sword for most of the endgame because holy poo poo it is a lightsaber broadsword (...lightbroadsword?) and it gibs motherfuckers nigh instantly. In IW, the hidden Dragon Tooth Sword is (iirc) completely identical to the weird swords everyone else uses, and doesn't do NEARLY as much damage. It's a shame, it would be so useful on those slow armored dudes with the tiny triangular weak point.

The completely garbage cap on ammunition was my aggravating thing in DX:IW's endgame. Oh cool, every weapon uses the same ammo type. Neat. Oh, I can only carry ten. Oh, there's only like 3 in this entire level.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hollow Knight:

I hate it when games crib from Dark Souls but only halfway. Benches function as checkpoints like Bonfires, but there's no homeward bone equivalent. You want warp back you have quit the game and reload.

Similarly you drop your currency on death like Dark Souls, but more importantly you drop part of your soul gauge as well, which limits your powers. In Dark Souls if there was little on your bloodstain you could forgo it but here it's a mandatory annoyance getting it back.

You never get hit once. The missile from that bug hits you, knocks you back into a bed of thorns or a body of water, and you get hit again. Knock-back feels excessive all around, you even get knock-back when you successfully hit an enemy.

There's a downwards-stab that helps with platforming like in Shovel Knight, however it's finicky as balls and you're liable to fail if you're a single degree off. I wasted half an hour in late-game area accessible from the start because I flubbed the jump need to get out more than once.

There's a bestiary which challenges you to kill every enemy in the game X number of times, and it feels like padding in a game this long.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Aug 4, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You know save points existed in metroidvanias before Dark Souls came out, right? You can't fast travel to/between save points in any metroidvania I can think of.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

You know save points existed in metroidvanias before Dark Souls came out, right? You can't fast travel to/between save points in any metroidvania I can think of.

Sure they werent the same room, but in castlevania teleport rooms are typically right near by to the save room,especially in the later castlevania games where they are nearly always an adjoining room.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah but Metroid games didn't have any means of fast travel until Prime 3, I think. It's usually not a big deal because good metroidvanias have very nicely intertwined maps and have a clear progression where you clear out a zone and you're able to get a lot of loot and make good progress. Hollow Knight just has a massive map, a slow base movement speed and chunkier movement than most of the Metroid games, and since it purports to be about as nonlinear as possible there's far more backtracking than is normal for the genre.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
pretty sure the latest update does add a homeward bone-like item

seems like it was a common enough complaint

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

Sure they werent the same room, but in castlevania teleport rooms are typically right near by to the save room,especially in the later castlevania games where they are nearly always an adjoining room.

The fast travel points in Hollow Knight are a pretty similar density to the ones in the Castlevanias I remember. The map is ridiculously huge, though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Make sure your corrals are high-walled, have the food dispensers, and, helpfully, the plort collectors. That should prevent any errant plorts or slimes from spreading.

I love this game, so chill. Running around, collecting slimes, making gordos explode, finding secrets and stuff. Would love a map, or a more coherent teleport system, but oh well.

Yeah, it seems that this dragging-down was mostly an early-game thing, because once I got high-walls and roof shields on things, the the-gently caress-when-did-you-guys-become-largos stuff as ceased.

Supposedly, according to a dev, there's something called the Navigation Update is coming monday, because I share your desire for a map:

https://twitter.com/monomipark/status/892882756408983552

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Aug 5, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

The fast travel points in Hollow Knight are a pretty similar density to the ones in the Castlevanias I remember. The map is ridiculously huge, though.

Stag stations are actually kind of garbage, they're usually located in the rear end-end of an area and some zones don't even have one meaning you have to trek back and forth through like three zones just to travel to a location. One frequently visited location in particular requires you to travel through three zones to reach it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah if you have to go to the bottom part of the map, well, I hope you like navigating a really long pit full of spikes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah if you have to go to the bottom part of the map, well, I hope you like navigating a really long pit full of spikes.

You do, a lot. At least if you want the real ending.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Honestly the worst part of true ending is still the White Palace, which I think came up maybe 10 pages ago.

I really do like Hollow Knight a lot, it's probably my favorite metroidvania that isn't a Metroid game, but there is some really dumb poo poo in there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There are 3 versions of Tyranny you can buy. Commander Edition, Archon Edition and Overlord Edition. They need to change the name of commander to Normal Edition to make it clear I'm not spending an extra ten bucks on a soundtrack and an in game pet or whatever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

In the original QTE nightmare god of war there were things that were kinda like glory kills. Enemies would get a button floating over their head and a stagger animation, except when you hit the button you had to hit a number MORE buttons and if you failed the enemy would be unstunned. Success gave you more health/mana just like glory kills do. So we even have an example of what 'glory kills are QTEs' would actually entail.

DO4M is good.
I liked how Tomb Raider: Underworld did it. Instead QTE the game slowed down and you had figured out what do yourself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like when quicktime events use button prompts consistent with the rest of the game, to make the character do something that would either be impossible or really frustrating to do, like if in a tomb raider game Lara had to grapple something really small while falling off a thing - could be really annoying trying to aim the grapple correctly or hit the button at the right time, so a quicktime lets it happen and look cool without being annoying. Like in Legend with the QTE where the floor starts opening and the buttons are literally Jump button then Grapple button to jump off the opening trapdoor and grapple a beam to swing to safety.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The best examples of QTEs in a game is Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit because it seemed like there was some thought put into them - the vast majority of the game's action was extended QTE cutscenes, and most of the time the action you needed to perform matched pretty well with how you needed to move the sticks. Failing an action wouldn't make you redo the whole section, it just lost one of your "lives" and let the cutscene continue. Plus, it went out of its way to mix things up a bit sometimes - like when you're being interrogated at work and hallucinating about giant glowing bugs, you fail the QTE by responding to the prompts at all, since you're completely losing your poo poo about invisible monsters in front of a detective.

...of course, this isn't the "things that are awesome in games" thread. Luckily IP/F had an absolute shitload of things wrong with it, all little things that added up to make the whole experience a total clusterfuck. Let's see-

-There's a cutscene QTE in the original PC release that just isn't coded right or something, so you're forced to lose a life about halfway through the game during a hell of a hard sequence where (IIRC) you're dangling from a helicopter.
-The plot goes from thrilling and really engrossing (seriously - the game starts with your character's eyes rolling back in his head and murdering a stranger in a diner's bathroom before carving some funky ouroboroses into his forearms. He snaps out of it and realizes what he's done, leading to a frantic sequence where you're trying to nonchalantly clean up the crime scene and leave quietly, while the game keeps showing you clips of police officer coming into the diner to get coffee and heading to the restroom. It is intense)....to utter poo poo. Like, I think it's revealed that an old crippled lady is the Internet, hobos are secretly magical Mayans (or was it Aztecs?), and the main character turns into a zombie and then necrofucks the lady detective who's been chasing him the whole game. Honestly, I don't remember anything even really being resolved at the end.
-There's some really weird and unnecessary censorship in the international release - I don't know if there's anything really super risque in the original, but for example there's a scene where you see the shoulders of a character in the shower, and they made sure to paint a really low-res-texture bikini on her despite the fact that there's literally nothing visible in the shot. A really minor thing, but when the game is going out of its way to present itself as this GRAND CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE or whatever stuff like that can snap you out of the immersion. Like, just skip the scene altogether if the ESRB is that worried about it, it was completely superfluous.
-The PC port absolutely refuses to play nicely with most modern gamepads, and the thing is almost unplayable with KB+M.

All of the above could probably be forgiven if not for the worst stealth sections in the history of mankind.

Remember how I said that the QTEs don't fail you if you miss an input, just drop your lives by one? Well, they apparently forgot why they did that when they designed these two stealth sections. They're flashbacks, where you play as an annoying kid version of the main character, sneaking around an army base with your friends. If you get spotted, you have to start the sequence over. They're not short sequences, and by god, this game just was not designed with stealth in mind. I have no idea what ungodly evil decided to shove these segments into Indigo Prophecy but I genuinely assume they were cut from some completely different game, they're so out of place both gameplay-wise and tonally.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are you kidding? Indigo Prophecy is the game perhaps most often remembered as the one that jumped the shark on QTEs. The game forced you to play SImon Says at arbitrary points while cutscenes played in the background, as a result making it so that you never really paid your full attention to either the "gameplay" or the story. It really is one of the worst games ever made as far as QTEs are concerned.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Are you kidding? Indigo Prophecy is the game perhaps most often remembered as the one that jumped the shark on QTEs. The game forced you to play SImon Says at arbitrary points while cutscenes played in the background, as a result making it so that you never really paid your full attention to either the "gameplay" or the story. It really is one of the worst games ever made as far as QTEs are concerned.

I remember enjoying it a ton at the time, but I haven't played it for like a decade so maybe how completely and utterly horrible those stealth sections were is making me think the rest of it was better than it was.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

steinrokkan posted:

mgs 4 has a setpiece with the same problem. the screen is bisected and on on side you're shooting gekkos down while the other side is a cutscene of raiden fighting vamp. the setpiece ends when the cutscene finishes.

you can't watch the cutscene while playing the game because you're more focused on shooting down gekkos. it would have been better if both fights happened on the same screen and raiden's was happening in the background like the sword bridge fight in god of war 2.

I remember enjoying it a ton at the time, but I haven't played it for like a decade so maybe how completely and utterly horrible those stealth sections were is making me think the rest of it was better than it was.

the first couple of chapters are really intriguing but the game shits the bed once it introduces the matrix bugs and the flashback stealth setpieces.

i love it because like every other david cage game i can't tell if he's intentionally waving his ego around in the game.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Stag stations are actually kind of garbage, they're usually located in the rear end-end of an area and some zones don't even have one meaning you have to trek back and forth through like three zones just to travel to a location. One frequently visited location in particular requires you to travel through three zones to reach it.

Actually, the recent update added a new one at the White Palace in Ancient Kingdom so you don't have to get there all the way from City of Tears anymore. Once you get 900 essence you now also get the ability to make a teleporter to wherever you want. It is still a pain though going to some of the outer areas.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Maybe it's just the fact that I started the Shadow Warrior remake after playing Doom 2016, but SW's weapon switching and sword attacks (Specifically the piss poor ability to handle stringing Ki attacks) is slow and pretty bad. And then has an added rating system that is poorly conveyed and made me have to rely on a Youtube video instead of a dozen mixed answers off Steam and other forums.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

-There's a cutscene QTE in the original PC release that just isn't coded right or something, so you're forced to lose a life about halfway through the game during a hell of a hard sequence where (IIRC) you're dangling from a helicopter.
-The plot goes from thrilling and really engrossing (seriously - the game starts with your character's eyes rolling back in his head and murdering a stranger in a diner's bathroom before carving some funky ouroboroses into his forearms. He snaps out of it and realizes what he's done, leading to a frantic sequence where you're trying to nonchalantly clean up the crime scene and leave quietly, while the game keeps showing you clips of police officer coming into the diner to get coffee and heading to the restroom. It is intense)....to utter poo poo. Like, I think it's revealed that an old crippled lady is the Internet, hobos are secretly magical Mayans (or was it Aztecs?), and the main character turns into a zombie and then necrofucks the lady detective who's been chasing him the whole game. Honestly, I don't remember anything even really being resolved at the end.

Actually the old lady is an AI that went sentient and escaped onto the internet. And the game presents that with all the gravitas of that sentence I just wrote.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You forgot the bit where the Zombie guy (Pale skin, no blood-flow) manages to father a kid.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

There's so many parts of Indigo Prophecy that I still really like, but just hot drat do I wish I could scrub the entire what, last third or so from the game?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
There's a special group of Japanese games that are really unfun to beat. SMT or Fire Emblem series for example. I love both, appreciate the systems and mechanics but have not finished any of them because they get so tedious at the endgame.

FE Echoes may be my favorite but the final mission is just long as poo poo with lots of boring enemies and a boss that WILL go after any character it can one shot. Oh, and if it kills the main character you cannot rewind and you have to waste another 45 minute stupid monsters slaying session.

The other one is Devil Survivor. The characters are fun, story's ok, and this one's got the non-random fusing even. But there comes a boss that can attack thrice per turn, one shots any demon with just a punch and heals 250hp at the end of every fight. Oh, and he spams unblockable projectiles at every character when he gets below 30% and summons even more enemies.

The 3DS has no cheatengine so I'm leaving both of these unfinished.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah I watched a guy beat the last mission of Echoes on hard mode and I had to fast forward several times because several turns were just churning through identical hordes of respawning monsters. It looked insanely tedious.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If there's one thing I'd change about FFIX, I'd have Kuja wear pants. The completely random Necron could stay, because he has a bitching boss-theme.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Yardbomb posted:

There's so many parts of Indigo Prophecy that I still really like, but just hot drat do I wish I could scrub the entire what, last third or so from the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm4s8EDxUqE

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

There's a special group of Japanese games that are really unfun to beat. SMT or Fire Emblem series for example. I love both, appreciate the systems and mechanics but have not finished any of them because they get so tedious at the endgame.

FE Echoes may be my favorite but the final mission is just long as poo poo with lots of boring enemies and a boss that WILL go after any character it can one shot. Oh, and if it kills the main character you cannot rewind and you have to waste another 45 minute stupid monsters slaying session.

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah I watched a guy beat the last mission of Echoes on hard mode and I had to fast forward several times because several turns were just churning through identical hordes of respawning monsters. It looked insanely tedious.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is a remake of the 1992 Famicom title Fire Emblem Gaiden. Gaiden was the second game in the series. There are twelve of them, counting that one. Much like how people play re-released versions of Kingdom Hearts and realize, 'Man, this is really clunky and annoying at points' the same could be said of a remake of a game that's older than I am.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RareAcumen posted:

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is a remake of the 1992 Famicom title Fire Emblem Gaiden. Gaiden was the second game in the series. There are twelve of them, counting that one. Much like how people play re-released versions of Kingdom Hearts and realize, 'Man, this is really clunky and annoying at points' the same could be said of a remake of a game that's older than I am.

It's still better than Shadow Dragon.

Probably

I don't have a 3DS to compare the two but Shadow Dragon was a loving painful game to actually play because they just went to the original entirely and didn't add in any quality of life upgrades.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

BioEnchanted posted:

I like when quicktime events use button prompts consistent with the rest of the game, to make the character do something that would either be impossible or really frustrating to do, like if in a tomb raider game Lara had to grapple something really small while falling off a thing - could be really annoying trying to aim the grapple correctly or hit the button at the right time, so a quicktime lets it happen and look cool without being annoying. Like in Legend with the QTE where the floor starts opening and the buttons are literally Jump button then Grapple button to jump off the opening trapdoor and grapple a beam to swing to safety.
The Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games do this in the boss battles, the QTE commands correspond pretty closely to what the buttons do during normal gameplay.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

RareAcumen posted:

I know all that. What I meant was there are lots of games (Japanese mostly, but not exclusively) that ramp poo poo up so hard they become really unfun near the end even if they were awesome so far. Good gameplay progression is really hard to do and some companies like Atlus just say, ok, now we add a zero to all the numbers in the game and you have to beat this guy in three turns or something. I'd understand if they put that stuff in post-game because that's what it's for but gently caress dealing with that in the main story. And it's not just a problem with Echoes, either. Every single Fire Emblem I played did that. Never tried Awakening though, maybe it's better in that regard.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Terminally Bored posted:

I know all that. What I meant was there are lots of games (Japanese mostly, but not exclusively) that ramp poo poo up so hard they become really unfun near the end even if they were awesome so far. Good gameplay progression is really hard to do and some companies like Atlus just say, ok, now we add a zero to all the numbers in the game and you have to beat this guy in three turns or something. I'd understand if they put that stuff in post-game because that's what it's for but gently caress dealing with that in the main story. And it's not just a problem with Echoes, either. Every single Fire Emblem I played did that. Never tried Awakening though, maybe it's better in that regard.

This is every single Super Robot Taisen game.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I've never felt like the SMT games were too hard, though. Even crazy cheap bosses usually have a weakness you can exploit to destroy them. I've played the first three main SMT games, DDS, the second Devil Summoner game, and Strange Journey, and the only one that I felt had a really steep difficulty jump in the endgame was Strange Journey where the final boss is just utterly brutal for no reason and it feels like a slugfest. Usually the end tends to be the easiest part because you have access to insanely overpowered abilities and can turn the tables on everyone. Of course, this isn't talking about the optional superbosses who tend to require one very specific strategy lest they one-shot you for doing something else

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

magikid posted:

This is every single Super Robot Taisen game.

I think SRW is actually the exact opposite because by the time you're at the later stages all of your dudes can just one shot multiple guys a turn. So every stage just devolves into watching Mazinger Z kill like 20 guys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I quit Fire Emblem Birthright or whatever at the very end because I was just tired of it and the fact the final stage is a two parter sapped my final enthusiasm because after finishing the previous level the game just barfed out anothe nearly indentical final level, except this time the boss had a pile of terrain effects to hit me with constantly so boy fun!

One thing I really really hate about Fire Emblem is its love of Gotcha spawns. Some levels enemies just infinitely spawn enemies, some levels spawn in new enemeis at triggers it doesnt tell you, and my favorite is when it spawns new enemies at triggers it doesnt tell you, respawns them a few times, but then it turns out they arent actually infinite enemies. You are a game ostensibly designed around permadeath, losing a soldier because you can plop more onto the field and instantly beeline the only troops you can kill without the player having any knowledge it will happen isnt fun gameplay and with levels that can take an hour I dont get why anyone would play on classic mode unless you want to do a deathmarch run.

On the plus side there is a level in Birthright where your character unit is trapped in a room with the boss unit and has weapon superiority over them. If your speed is decent the fight ends on the first turn as you move then attack the boss. I dont even know what the rest of the level looks like.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
With all the problems people had with Fallout 4, the thing that's most recently annoyed me is one I hadn't heard about: if you want to wait, you have to find somewhere to sit. Wouldn't have been too bad a problem if I could have found this out without having to loving Google it.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I really don't like it when open world games replay the last major conversation each time the game starts up. Both Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and Just Cause 3, to name a few, do this and it sucks to hear the same poo poo joke 10 times because I decided to not progress the story for a few sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

moosecow333 posted:

I really don't like it when open world games replay the last major conversation each time the game starts up. Both Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and Just Cause 3, to name a few, do this and it sucks to hear the same poo poo joke 10 times because I decided to not progress the story for a few sessions.

Far Cry 3. I'm often doing a fair bit of dicking around in between main story missions. It gets loving annoying having to listen to the same conversation with Dennis every time I load the game.