Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yeah it's definitely Mikan. Her reactions in this last video took care of any doubt i still had. I am kind of glad, her "accidental sexiness" was a really uncomfortable shtick that I will happily be rid of.
Although now that I think about it, her "punishment" might not be very palatable either. Really hope I am wrong about that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That would make it more difficult in later cases, since we wouldn't have anybody doing the autopsy but Monobear.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ibblebibble posted:

Someone's gonna hang.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if they positioned her there explicitly for that connection.
Does it show up like that in earlier trials?

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014
It definitely looks like Mikan is the killer - can we give her a medal before we execute her for ridding us of Hiyoko?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I agree that the game is really leaning into making Mikan seem guilty, but I'd almost be disappointed if it was that easy. I'm holding out hope that soon there will be some revelation that exonerates her and adds some more drama to this trial.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if they positioned her there explicitly for that connection.
Does it show up like that in earlier trials?

It only lines up when the camera does a low-angle shot on Mikan since Monomi is placed much higher. At normal elevation, Monomi herself is still visible, a setup that shows up numerous times. They don't do low angle shots on Mikan very often. I only found one image out of all the ones I've taken where everything lines up. This is from back in Trial 1:

I don't know if I used this image in an update or not. I have a lot of unused images for trials due to the way I've chosen to screenshot them.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Ibblebibble posted:

Someone's gonna hang.

That's Monomi, who already is hanging.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: Look how LONG this poo poo is!

: Hangman's Gambit continues to be the worst minigame.

: It's the most egregious example of localization troubles in an otherwise well-localized game (in my opinion).

> FILMING LOCATION

: That's right...besides the stepladder, the filming location must've been different too!
: Whaddya mean?

: I mean the video I saw was not filmed at the music venue... It was filmed somewhere else!

: But the hospital monitor is supposed to display footage captured by the music venue camera, you know?
: Then...there's a possibility that the killer also tampered with the surveillance camera unit...

In order to show us that they filmed the video at the music venue instead of somewhere else... What did the killer do to the surveillance camera unit?

: Three answers this time. If they filmed somewhere else, they probably wouldn't need the monitor, I guess.

> The camera

: We found no evidence of the camera being tampered with at the hospital. Not to mention, the camera was still there when we saw the video.

> The music venue

: I just thought that this part looked cool with its triple spiraling floors.

: And yes, if you're daring you can jump the gaps, though there's no need to do so.

: Kazuichi told us that he increased the range as much as he possibly could. I mean, if he's the killer he might be lying to us but there hasn't been much reason to doubt him so far, at least not since that initial wave of doubt Fuyuhiko introduced. It's more likely that the killer moved the camera.

> They took it with them

: That's it...the killer just brought the camera from the music venue. With it...they made me think it was a live feed from the venue, when it was actually from somewhere else.
: Then...only the monitor was left in the music venue?
: Yes...at least, when I first discovered Ibuki's body. But when Hiyoko's body appeared, the killer probably put the camera back too.

: That means...you shoulda realized that from the start and made this easier on all of us...
: He did discover the body. I doubt his attention was focused on the camera.
: Well that's true, but...
: In order to hide that the camera was missing, the killer did one more thing to the remaining monitor.

The thing the killer did to the remaining monitor was...

> Destroyed it

: The killer smashed the monitor to pieces, destroying it...

: As long as it was in pieces, you wouldn't be able to tell if the camera was actually there or not... My attention was so focused on the body that even I couldn't have noticed something like that.

: And the moment Hajime left the music venue, the killer put back the camera they took...

: And they destroyed it and left that in pieces as well.

: It's easy to say it was filmed somewhere else, but the surveillance camera's connection wasn't that strong.
: Despite Kazuichi's desperate repair efforts, it seems it could not transmit from the hospital to the motel...
: The fact that it was able to connect between the hospital and the music venue is amazing enough!

Which means, even if it was filmed in another place, as long as it was transmitting to the hospital...the range would be pretty limited.

If that's the case...where was the video filmed to make it look like it was filmed at the music venue?

The only possibility is...*that* place inside *that* building.

: Yet another stupidly long Hangman's Gambit. You know, while having new minigames is nice, it turns out that adding more minigames also means there are less Nonstop Debates in the game because there's a need to distribute which games get played. Kinda sucks because the remixed minigames from the first Danganronpa are by far the weakest holdovers here. I want more Nonstop Debates!

: Also dang, two Hangman's Gambits and a Logic Dive in one update (so far)? While the video might be long, this written version of the update wouldn't really be long enough so bear with me for a lengthy one.

: There's only one location we know of that has a curtain and can make a dark room that isn't the music venue and is also in close enough proximity to the hospital.

> CONFERENCE ROOM

: It's possible that...it was filmed at the hospital's conference room.
: Huh? The conference room?
: But the hospital and the music venue look completely different.
: That's exactly why the killer did something to make those two places resemble each other.

To make the conference room look like the music venue, the killer went ahead and did some work...

I've got to make clear...what that work was!

: There's no way the conference room...
: ...and the music venue look the same!
: Which place resembled the other?
: Did the conference room look like the music venue? Or did the music venue look like the conference room?
: Or did they make some kind of set?
: Or they might have tampered with the camera...
: I still can't believe he mixed up the filming locations...
: Hajime, you're pretty stupid!

In order to make the hospital conference room resemble the music venue, what did the killer do...? ...I should figure that out first.

: It's getting challenging now. Sonia's argument is close to the truth, but the killer didn't have to construct a set since the conference room would've already had things in it to help with the facade. No, the real answer lies in the black curtain Chiaki noticed in the music venue. Don't get tripped up by Kazuichi's parallel remarks!

> Shoot "look like the conference room" with "Music Venue Curtain"

: What the killer did was make the music venue--the crime scene--look like the conference room! They did that by using the black curtain hanging at the back of the stage.

: From what I remember, there used to be a really flashy curtain, but after the incident...

: It somehow became a plain black curtain that didn't seem to be the right size.

: That's right! It's so half-assed, just like Monomi!
: Oh yeah!? Well...your face...looks stupid!

: That curtain was hung so the music venue would look like the conference room?
: In actuality... Even though the curtain in the conference room doesn't stand out...

: It *is* a black, light-blocking curtain that's long enough to reach the floor.

: I see, the conference room... Indeed, the floor of that room is...

: ...the same color as the music venue stage.

: So the killer chose the conference room because they realized the floor matched.

: Matchin' floors, matchin' curtains... I guess it makes sense you'd mistake the two...
: But that's not all. There should be something else the killer did to tamper with the evidence...probably.

Something else the killer did to make the music venue look like the conference room...it's gotta be *that*.

> Present "Candle"

: You're referring to the candle in the music venue, right?

: In the video I saw, a candle was used for lighting. But if you think about it that's pretty strange... The music venue has good lighting, so there's no reason to even use candlelight.
: But...wouldn't they have done it to make it feel creepier?
: That might've been another reason but...the main reason was probably to tamper with evidence.

: The lighting in the conference room and the music venue are so different, they couldn't be used during filming. That's why the killer used a candle as film lighting instead.
: Which means... Are you saying the candle in the music venue wasn't actually used?
: That candle was likely placed there just to make me think it was the same candle that was used in the video.
: With candlelight, you can't see things in that much detail. Maybe they were going for that effect. With that cheap-rear end camera, it won't capture much in a dark area.
: As long as this all matches up, it should be no problem to say this is decided...
: The video I saw wasn't filmed at the music venue! It was actually filmed at the hospital conference room!

: If I'd found proof that evidence in the conference room was altered, we would've reached an answer sooner... But it appears the killer already covered that up, so I didn't find anything when I went there.
: But there's no mistake...that's the only place within the connection range of the surveillance camera...
: The motel would have been too far... And the interior design of the movie theater is too distinctive.

: ...But this must be a surprising turn of events for Hajime.
: You never suspected that the video you saw in the hospital was being filmed in the conference room.
: "The incident isn't happening at the scene of the crime! It's occurring in the conference room..."

I feel like I've heard bayside cops say that before...but isn't it the other way around?

: Um...if Ibuki's handin' video was filmed at the hospital's conference room...
: Then was Ibuki killed at the conference room too!?
: No, that's not possible... Right after Hajime saw that video, he discovered Ibuki's body at the music venue.

That video was filmed at the conference room, but Ibuki's body was at the music venue. Which means...there was a fake somewhere. That fake must have been...

> The Ibuki in the conference room

: The person wearing the hemp bag in that video wasn't Ibuki...

: It was...the killer pretending to be Ibuki. The killer put on a hospital gown, wore a hemp bag on their head, and was only pretending to be the victim.

: By that time, the real Ibuki must've already been killed.
: The actual time of death...must've been earlier. Probably around midnight or dawn to avoid witnesses.
: If they took Ibuki from the music venue to the hospital to kill her, there's no way it happened during the day.

So that's what happened... Then no matter how quickly I ran, it was impossible for me to rescue Ibuki. At that moment, I was already in the killer's trap.

And...the one who set a trap for me was...

: But why did the killer go to the trouble of making a fake video just so Hajime could go the crime scene?
: The reason the killer made a fake video... There's only one possibility I can think of. And if I examine that possibility thoroughly...
: Then naturally, the killer's identity will reveal itself.
: ...Huh!?

: You fiend... Are you saying you already know who the killer is!?
: ...

That's right... I should already know... I should've already known...

Who the killer...is...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The killer was clearly Robo Justice.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It is certainly possible that the killer destroyed the monitor at the music venue, but it could also make as much sense (or more) if the music venue monitor was from another set. The killer could have used the music venue monitor to keep tabs on Hajime to make sure he saw the video and ran out as planned. They would have had to hide the monitor of course, but it's small compared to the stepladder they also had to hide.

If they merely destroyed the music venue monitor, sure they could still have filmed the scene with the camera, but they wouldn't have had any way of knowing when Hajime started watching and when he ran out.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It is certainly possible that the killer destroyed the monitor at the music venue, but it could also make as much sense (or more) if the music venue monitor was from another set. The killer could have used the music venue monitor to keep tabs on Hajime to make sure he saw the video and ran out as planned. They would have had to hide the monitor of course, but it's small compared to the stepladder they also had to hide.

If they merely destroyed the music venue monitor, sure they could still have filmed the scene with the camera, but they wouldn't have had any way of knowing when Hajime started watching and when he ran out.

The killer knew Hajime was going down to check the hospital monitor. In fact, the only person who could logically have set up and executed this chain of events must be that one person who knew precisely when Hajime would go check the hospital monitor; otherwise, the killer is standing in the conference room waiting for Hajime to appear and hoping nobody looks in the room first.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Narsham posted:

The killer knew Hajime was going down to check the hospital monitor. In fact, the only person who could logically have set up and executed this chain of events must be that one person who knew precisely when Hajime would go check the hospital monitor; otherwise, the killer is standing in the conference room waiting for Hajime to appear and hoping nobody looks in the room first.

No, without the music venue monitor upstairs, they do not know precisely when he starts watching and when he stops, because they aren't in the same room as him. That's my entire point. They have a reasonable guess when he'll start watching. The whole thing from opening to candle going out takes only about a minute at most. The killer only has the one chance to do this. It's definitely possible to do it blind, but it would be easier to do it by using a spare monitor taken from electronics alley and smashing that in the music club and using the real monitor upstairs, and stashing it with the rest of the stuff which needs hiding anyway (wrap it up in the robe or something).

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

FPzero posted:

: This trial has more than one Hangman's Gambits and there's never anything new with them other than increased difficulty and poorly translated long answers. This one's not so bad but just you wait...

FPzero posted:

: It's the most egregious example of localization troubles in an otherwise well-localized game (in my opinion).

I meant to actually comment on this a lot earlier, but I don't think anything in this tops the poor translation choice (and subsequently pisses me off) or trips me up like Schizo did in the first game.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

FPzero posted:

: With candlelight, you can't see things in that much detail. Maybe they were going for that effect. With that cheap-rear end camera, it won't capture much in a dark area.

This adds to my earlier complaint. Hajime was looking at a tiny-rear end screen, watching a video feed from a room lit by candlelight. How the gently caress could he see or not see a bloodstain on the ladder?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Doesn't look like Mikan would have to remove her bandages and put them back on afterwards, if it's her. Her bandaged arm and leg are fully covered in the video.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

eating only apples posted:

Doesn't look like Mikan would have to remove her bandages and put them back on afterwards, if it's her. Her bandaged arm and leg are fully covered in the video.

That is what is making me want to say Mikan is a red herring.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

mateo360 posted:

I meant to actually comment on this a lot earlier, but I don't think anything in this tops the poor translation choice (and subsequently pisses me off) or trips me up like Schizo did in the first game.

the super-long gambit here is irritating, but Schizo was just not only completely wrong but pretty loving offensive on top of it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Robindaybird posted:

the super-long gambit here is irritating, but Schizo was just not only completely wrong but pretty loving offensive on top of it.

oh trust me I know. I had an effort post in the other thread about it when it came up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

eating only apples posted:

Maybe the leg, but the bandage on her left arm goes up to cover the lower part of her hand and would be visible.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Maybe the leg, but the bandage on her left arm goes up to cover the lower part of her hand and would be visible.

Don't worry! I'm sure it was just the poor light from the candle hiding the detail on the tiny screen even though it was clear enough for us to say there was no blood on the latter!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm mostly just waiting to hear Mikan's motive now. Did it really just take having a good opportunity to not only murder Ibuki, but be okay with condemning everyone else if they didn't figure it out?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe she wanted to try her hand at death metal but got the concept wrong. :v:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given how her behavior and her profile suggests she's been severely bullied to the point of having bottomed-out self-esteem, and Hiyoko being Hiyoko and no one else really stopping it, I would put money that her motive is: "I'm loving sick of this and I will take down not only that little monster but everyone who just let it happen"

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Robindaybird posted:

Given how her behavior and her profile suggests she's been severely bullied to the point of having bottomed-out self-esteem, and Hiyoko being Hiyoko and no one else really stopping it, I would put money that her motive is: "I'm loving sick of this and I will take down not only that little monster but everyone who just let it happen"

But Hiyoko was apparently a second thought? Like she was there by accident. Whatever the motive was, it wasn't "I'ma kill Hiyoko"

ps Hiyoko is still my favourite

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
At this point the game has basically caught up with our thread speculation and I expect Mikan to be selected as the killer by FPzero/Hajime. But it seems a bit too early to be doing a final vote at this point, so I'm guessing we're going to get another mid-trial shake-up that changes the game and puts us on somebody else's scent. Basically this:

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I agree that the game is really leaning into making Mikan seem guilty, but I'd almost be disappointed if it was that easy. I'm holding out hope that soon there will be some revelation that exonerates her and adds some more drama to this trial.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: You're the only one!

: Mikan...you're the killer, aren't you?

: ...Eeeeeek!
: U-Um...what are you talking about?
: Like I said... Aren't you the killer who murdered Ibuki and Hiyoko?
: K-Killer...h-huh?
: Haaaaah!? I-I'm the killer...? Wh-What is this!?

: H-Hey...don'tcha think that's kinda impossible?
: A chick like her is the killer? She couldn't even kill a fly... In fact, the fly would prolly kill her first.
: Sh-She's right!
: A clumsy, slowpoke like me killing someone...? Th-That's completely out of the question!

: But...we're the only ones. Thanks to that video, we're the only ones who have the advantage of an alibi...
: An alibi...? Was that the killer's goal?
: Now that you mention it, you guys brought that up earlier... Only Hajime and Mikan have an alibi.

: I-It's just a coincidence!
: But you're the only one who could've filmed that video in the hospital conference room. Is that also a coincidence?
: Haaah!?

: Shouldn't you...get some rest already? You should be exhausted from nursing without any sleep, right?
: Then, if you insist, I will use the on-call room upstairs... You must be mentally exhausted, so it's better if you relax in the lobby instead.

: At that time, you said you were going to the on-call room... But you actually went to the conference room.

: That's when you put on a hospital gown that you prepared in advance, put the bag on your head, and began filming. By doing that, you made up a video that showed Ibuki trying to hang herself at the music venue...

: ...and showed that to me!
: Hah, wa....ha-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa...
: Furthermore, I saw that video at the hospital lobby... If someone wants to go to the conference room from outside, they have to pass through the lobby.

: So it's impossible that someone who wasn't already in the hospital went to the conference room to film!
: Not only that...the others in the hospital, Akane and I, were both delirious from the Despair Disease...
: So that must mean...!

: P-Please wait a second!
: Wh-Wh-What are you saying...!? I-I'm the killer...!?
: That's impossible! There's no way I could kill someone!
: It's not literally impossible... Can't you give a better defense than that?
: It just shows she can't even do that...

: Hey, you sure this chick is really the killer?
: W-Wrong... I-It's totally wrong... It's not what you think!
: J-Just like Akane said, it is really hard to tie it all together... I mean, Mikan...is the killer...?
: I agree...it is truly difficult to believe someone could be killed by such a slow-witted woman...
: That "slow-witted" remark is not necessary...

: Nyuh...it's fine... I've been like this for a long time...
: In a tournament for social punching bags, I'd easily win first place with my soft reputation...
: Nnh...even I can't deny that...
: How many times do I have to tell you? It's impossible for me to kill someone! I'm serious...very serious!

: ...Wh-What do you say, Hajime?
: Do you still believe...this woman is the killer?
: Nnnh... D-Do you...hate me--*hic!*--that much, Hajime...?
: Hey, Hajime!

: U-Umm...

E-Everyone's...ganging up on me...

: Uh...ugh...! *Hic!* *Hic!*

Tricks aside, logic aside... Is she really capable...of doing something like this?

Could it be...I'm the one making a mistake?

No, in fact...it'd be so much easier if I was wrong...

If I have this much doubt about someone I've spent so much time with...

Music cuts out.

: ...Ah, can you hold on a minute?

...Huh?

: Well...I know I'm being intrusive and all. And I mean, I have no place to say this... I missed all of the critical parts and I doubt I have anything worth saying at an important time like this...
: Wh-What are you saying...?

: But still...there's definitely no way I can overlook the killer this time.

...Huh?

: I thought it was suspicious all along. From the very beginning... Investigating with a suspect in mind creates a different result than investigating with no leads...
: ...Hey, what are you trying to say?

: Well, thanks to that... I was able to discover a truth that nobody else knows.
: Wha--!? Are you serious!?
: I've been so focused on everybody else this trial...but I guess now's a good time to say it, right?

: You better not have kept quiet on purpose! This isn't a game, you know!
: Actually, this *is* a game!
: Please don't say such controversial statements!
: Well...what do you know, Nagito?

: Well, it's nothing big, really... Only a small, decisive clue that points to the killer.
: Dang! That's a huge deal!
: A d-decisive clue... Does something like that...really exist?
: Let's take a look, shall we...?

: Regarding the rope Ibuki was dangling from... This rope...was supplied by the supermarket, right? There weren't any ropes inside the music venue.
: Again with the supermarket... That place is a hot spot for criminal goods.
: If they got it at the supermarket, that means it was brand-new, right?
: ...What's wrong with that?
: I want you to take a close look at this rope, and keep in mind that it's brand-new...

: Near the middle of the rope... It's frayed, as if it was rubbed strongly. But why is it like this? The loop Ibuki used to hang herself is on one end of the rope... And the part of the rope that hung from the baton lighting is on the other end...
: Hey, you're takin' too long. What's wrong with the rope bein' frayed!?
: It means...well, from what I can infer, I think the rope was used like this.

: The killer wrapped the rope around Ibuki's neck, pulled both ends at full strength, and strangled her. The center of the rope is frayed because that's the part they used to strangle Ibuki.

: Hold on...I've been listening to you for a while, and it sounds like you knew about this rope clue all along... What exactly did you say to me during the investigation?

: So this rope won't be much of a clue. ...Then I might as well search another place.

: Not everyone cooperates at a class trial... Those who lie and conceal the truth will obviously be here too...
: Just like this case's killer! I was just copying them a little bit!
: ...Huh?
: More importantly, what was all that about the rope? The killer strangled Ibuki...and then?

: And then...I finished speaking.
: Huuuuuuhhhh!?
: H-How is that a decisive clue!?
: Huh? You didn't notice it? I thought I made the decisive clue...very clear.

Nagito's words...contain a decisive clue...?

Is that...really true?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

We know there was something to Nagito's babbling about twin ibuki's now. Was it him witnessing the fake hanging? Or some kind of rehearsal if it wasn't recorded? I think that was one of the first things he said after waking up.

Still holding out that the crazy togami theory has some truth to it too.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well gently caress.

But it's still got to be someone who was inside the hospital, right?

I like everyone else there more than Mikan. :(

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

FPzero posted:

: More importantly, what was all that about the rope? The killer strangled Ibuki...and then?

: And then...I finished speaking.
: Huuuuuuhhhh!?
: H-How is that a decisive clue!?

Oh, Nagito :allears: He's just so fascinating in his annoyance, it's great.

But as usual, it's not without purpose. Can you find out what he means?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Still think it's Mikan - given Nagito interrupted right when Hajime was ready to back off to reconsider.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I suspect it relates to this:

FPzero posted:

: From what I can tell...it looks like a regular length of rope with no unnatural features. But despite the fact this music venue has a storage room, there shouldn't have been any rope in there. Which means...was it obtained from the supermarket? Did the killer bring it from there?
: That means anybody could've obtained this rope, and it means it'd be difficult to use this as a clue.
: ...I wonder if that's true.
: ...Huh?
: Oh, I just noticed a little something. Is it okay if I confirm it?
: Excuse me, Mikan! Do you have a moment?

: U-Um...what's happened?
: There's something I want to ask you... There's no doubt Ibuki's cause of death was being hanged by this rope, right?
: Y-Yes...she had no other external injuries, so there's no doubt she died from hanging herself.
: I see, I see... So Ibuki died by hanging herself.
: That...was obvious the moment we discovered the body. You might not have seen it, but we all saw that she hanged herself.
: You're right! Yep, I got it! So this rope won't be much of a clue. ...Then I might as well search another place.

Jeez... As usual, I have no idea what he's up to...

Specifically, Mikan confirmed there was no doubt the death was by hanging... but it wasn't. That's pretty suspicious. The main mechanism of death from hanging is that the neck is broken by the fall rather than strangulation. Even if that weren't the case, though, which is actually pretty likely since this is a short drop, you'd expect the marks to be distributed differently. They're going to be more even with the strangulation, for one thing, since gravity isn't the only force in operation. I'm told there are some telltale marks around the knot of the noose, either, which probably wouldn't have formed if the body were put up postmortem. Mikan should know all of this, and she knows that the cause of death is super important in these investigations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

idonotlikepeas posted:

I suspect it relates to this:

Specifically, Mikan confirmed there was no doubt the death was by hanging... but it wasn't. That's pretty suspicious. The main mechanism of death from hanging is that the neck is broken by the fall rather than strangulation. Even if that weren't the case, though, which is actually pretty likely since this is a short drop, you'd expect the marks to be distributed differently. They're going to be more even with the strangulation, for one thing, since gravity isn't the only force in operation. I'm told there are some telltale marks around the knot of the noose, either, which probably wouldn't have formed if the body were put up postmortem. Mikan should know all of this, and she knows that the cause of death is super important in these investigations.

Ooh, good points. I'd forgotten about that whole exchange.

Okay, she's back to being guilty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know what Nagito was trying to do here, but in the spirit of Nagito let me add:

a) Mikan was obviously exhausted when she left to rest in the on-call room, but somehow still managed to hoof it over to the music venue to spike the camera, break the drumstick, and glue the door shut?
b) then again, literally nobody else without Despair Disease could even have been in the hospital overnight without violating Monobear Law, and how else do you get to Ibuki?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

Oh, Nagito :allears: He's just so fascinating in his annoyance, it's great.

But as usual, it's not without purpose. Can you find out what he means?

Id go with his statements being the literal truth.

"The killer strangled her with the rope"
"And then?"
"I stopped talking"

The post recovery talk with Nagito was the only time he spoke between when we last saw ibuki and her body was found. He could be telling the time of death.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

idonotlikepeas posted:

The main mechanism of death from hanging is that the neck is broken by the fall rather than strangulation.

That's only true when there's a fall sharply stopped by the rope, like when a trapdoor opens beneath the victim. If the rope that hanged Ibuki was around the top of the stepladder, as it would be for her to put her own head through the noose, then the cause of death would be asphyxiation or a crushed windpipe, not a broken neck. It's why you get stories where people kick their chair away and then regret their decision but can't do anything about it. Hanging execution (as in the UK up til 50 years ago) was done so that the prisoner would die instantly.

The killer strangled Ibuki with the rope, which could be passed off as a hanging death.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
It's going to be Nekomaru, isn't it?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's still one point that's nagging me in declaring Mikan guilty: motive. The only person I can see her actively murdering is Hiyoko and she's obviously not the primary victim here. Which then leaves 'Easy Target' but in that case why not go after Nagito who's in the same situation since he's demonstrated that he's more of a threat to everyone than Ibuki?

Glazius posted:

I don't know what Nagito was trying to do here, but in the spirit of Nagito let me add:

a) Mikan was obviously exhausted when she left to rest in the on-call room, but somehow still managed to hoof it over to the music venue to spike the camera, break the drumstick, and glue the door shut?
b) then again, literally nobody else without Despair Disease could even have been in the hospital overnight without violating Monobear Law, and how else do you get to Ibuki?

Going off your first point there's now another consideration: body strength. Does Mikan have enough oomph to strangle Ibuki with a rope? It's not that easy.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Going off your first point there's now another consideration: body strength. Does Mikan have enough oomph to strangle Ibuki with a rope? It's not that easy.

She's a nurse - oftentimes they have to deadlift a patient that weighs the same or more than they do, sometimes they don't have assistance.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

EponymousMrYar posted:

but in that case why not go after Nagito who's in the same situation since he's demonstrated that he's more of a threat to everyone than Ibuki?

Didn't Nagito say he'd be willing to let people get away with murder, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Monokuma / Monobear saying something like "this is a game" is halfway breaking the fourth wall. How great.

Also, the voice acting is really good.

I have to say, when we had to select the killer, I legit thought it was suicide. Selecting Mikan didn't even occur to me.

It asked me to 'select someone' and I kept selecting dead people.

And after selecting Mikan you get the scene where everyone is ganging up on you because what possible motive could she have to kill?

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 8, 2017

• Locked thread