Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

it's starting really early it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

2-0 garcia. not much really happening because broner is on the backfoot

edit: garcia is landing good body shots. feel like broner will fade late because of them and he's wasting so much energy

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 30, 2017

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Seriously, so much energy wasted on some pointless Matrix poo poo

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

garcia has come on strong at the end of every round

garcia now walking him down with his hands down. what a g

broner's best hope now is garcia gassing because he's being completely nullified

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 30, 2017

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I think he is actually trying, Garcia is just way better lol

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

garcia's really good.

adrien broner get in the bin.

edit: how do you find 4 rounds for broner?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Good fight and Broner fought better than against Porter or Maidana but Mikey is just on another level.

Closer than expected scores but whatever. Hopefully Bob can make nice and he can fight either Lomachenko or Crawford

Edit: Also did anyone else get a Forrest Gump in leg braces vibe from Heiland?

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 30, 2017

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

thehappyprince posted:

garcia's really good.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

thehappyprince posted:

garcia's really good.

Garcia was appearing on pound for pound lists before his career hiatus, and he's still only 29. He's probably still at that level.

I don't know if Terence Crawford (assuming he beats Indongo) vs Mikey Garcia can be made, but it's the only fight that really matters at 140. Hopefully it can be made.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Klitschko has retired

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ah well, as long as he can stay retired, I'll be happy. :unsmith:

I'm assuming this man with a doctorate or whatever managed his money ok?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

end of an era tbh

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

thehappyprince posted:

end of an era tbh

Be interesting to see how history views him a while from now. Living through it was frustrating as hell but he was unbeatable for a good stretch there despite there always being questions about his chin.

On the other hand his competition through that stretch won't do him any favors.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Wlad will be cracking top ten lists for a while just for how long he stayed at the top. But yeah his competition wasn't always the best and imo he lacks a really career defining fight or win that would keep people talking about him.

I'm getting pretty hyped about seeing Loma up close in two days, got great seats for the event.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Seeing a lot of Larry Holmes comparisons and that seems somewhat right. In the end you can only fight who's available. He was never going to fight his brother , didn't really cross paths with Lennox and if AJ pans out his last fight would've been a great one against a truly special fighter.

EDIT: Ninth, I know you'll be amped up to see Loma in action but I need those Rachel Anne digits man. I'm counting on you

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 4, 2017

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think Wlad will be cracking top ten lists for a while just for how long he stayed at the top. But yeah his competition wasn't always the best and imo he lacks a really career defining fight or win that would keep people talking about him.

Considering how many title defences and years at the top he had, I think it's impossible to keep him out of the top 10. He's almost certainly better than guys like Evander Holyfield and Joe Frazier, who typically round out the top 10:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Lennox Lewis
4. George Foreman
5. Larry Holmes
6. Jack Johnson
7. Jack Dempsey
8. Rocky Marciano
9. Wladimir Klitschko

Or something like that. I'd also be tempted to put Vitali at 10, as everyone else on the top 10 list defined their era of the division, and Vitali ruled the division in tandem with Wladimir, and was most likely the better fighter of the two as well.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Juan Manuel Marquez also announced retirement today. Marquez hasn't fought since beating Mike Alvarado in 2014 which all in all isn't a bad win to close your career out on. He'll always have that fourth Pacquiao fight.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Considering how many title defences and years at the top he had, I think it's impossible to keep him out of the top 10. He's almost certainly better than guys like Evander Holyfield and Joe Frazier, who typically round out the top 10:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Lennox Lewis
4. George Foreman
5. Larry Holmes
6. Jack Johnson
7. Jack Dempsey
8. Rocky Marciano
9. Wladimir Klitschko

Or something like that. I'd also be tempted to put Vitali at 10, as everyone else on the top 10 list defined their era of the division, and Vitali ruled the division in tandem with Wladimir, and was most likely the better fighter of the two as well.

I was going to ask who you guys thought would go down in history as 'the better Klitschko'. Like, Wlad is probably the bigger name, but Vitali had an incredible chin and most people seemed to think he'd handily win a fight between the two.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

marquez beat pacquiao 4 times and only needed steroids to do it once. a true legend and probably the best combination puncher of the last 20 years don't @ me

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmn, evander holyfield at ten? Or Sunny Liston? Might as well just make 9 both brothers, they won't mind.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

ccubed posted:

Zou Shiming hype train derailed.
https://streamable.com/vpxav

What a loving mess.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is the dude Loma is boxing tomorrow any good? Doesn't matter too much I guess cause he's great to watch regardless just curious

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

Is the dude Loma is boxing tomorrow any good? Doesn't matter too much I guess cause he's great to watch regardless just curious

Dude is good, not good enough to be fighting Loma though

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Still B.A.E posted:

I was going to ask who you guys thought would go down in history as 'the better Klitschko'. Like, Wlad is probably the bigger name, but Vitali had an incredible chin and most people seemed to think he'd handily win a fight between the two.

Vitali was easily the better actual fighter but these types of lists tend to be about legacy and Vitali retired for years in the middle of his career and didn't fight nearly as much as Wlad did, who was the undisputed heavyweight champ for around a decade.

In a "who beats who" list, I'd have Vitali top 3 and Wlad would barely be in the top 10.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I agree that Vitali was probably the better fighter of the two, certainly I enjoyed watching him fight more than Wlad who was often too complacent against lesser fighters.

In other news...
https://twitter.com/amirkingkhan/status/893457703061921792

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah I agree that Vitali was probably the better fighter of the two, certainly I enjoyed watching him fight more than Wlad who was often too complacent against lesser fighters.

In other news...
https://twitter.com/amirkingkhan/status/893457703061921792

https://twitter.com/Jake_Johns_/status/893461705363247104

Heh

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/anthonyfjoshua/status/893480501675249664

https://twitter.com/anthonyfjoshua/status/893480581048225792

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Bumped the ESPN boxing thread from Pac-Horn for the Lomachenko fight

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=177

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

any noteworthy fights coming up between now and GGG vs. canelo? besides the obviously shitshow one

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Pimp Cauldron posted:

any noteworthy fights coming up between now and GGG vs. canelo? besides the obviously shitshow one

Crawford is fighting next weekend against Indongo, and there is a massive card at the StubHub Center on the Saturday before GGG/Canelo.

Seriously, look at this loving card:

Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs Roman Gonzalez, super flyweights, 12 rounds; Naoya Inoue vs Antonio Nieves, super flyweights, 12 rounds; Carlos Cuadras vs Juan Francisco Estrada, super flyweights, 12 rounds.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
That's a real good undercard.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's at the stubhub too which means every fight will be a banger

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Crawford is fighting next weekend against Indongo, and there is a massive card at the StubHub Center on the Saturday before GGG/Canelo.

Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs Roman Gonzalez, super flyweights, 12 rounds; Naoya Inoue vs Antonio Nieves, super flyweights, 12 rounds; Carlos Cuadras vs Juan Francisco Estrada, super flyweights, 12 rounds.

Holy poo poo I know who all of those tiny guys are and seriously look forward to all of it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ozymandius1024 posted:

nice

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My sister's getting married that day. :(

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
skip that bullshit

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Skip My Posts posted:

skip that bullshit

Agreed

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The Ninth Layer posted:

My sister's getting married that day. :(

Follow your heart man (you know you've got to skip that poo poo)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Paulie has dropped out as Mcgregor's sparring partner because his team put out a video of paulie being pushed down edited to look like he was knocked down lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jose posted:

Paulie has dropped out as Mcgregor's sparring partner because his team put out a video of paulie being pushed down edited to look like he was knocked down lol

Wrong thread and that was like a week ago.