Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

lovely Wizard posted:

Here's a lil' visual to help you understand things :

It's amazing how I can now see how terrible this thread is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EatinCake posted:

The situation is slightly different though- as it's less them telling us the character flaws as much as it is the character being told point blank what's wrong with them- and then them immediately rejecting it. It was less about our understanding and more watching how they react.

Summer & Morty welcome facing their demons, Beth & Rick adamantly reject doing so. Arrested development, one might say :D

Morty and Summer: Are we going back to therapy? Dr Wong was nice.

Beth and Rick: Let's get blitzd at Shoney's.

:laffo:

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Veskit posted:

It's amazing how I can now see how terrible this thread is

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I thought the therapy scenes were great, and while I do get the impression that Dan Harmon was kind of getting on a soap box there, I think he did it in a really good way that was entertaining and satisfying and not distracting from the story being told. On the contrary, it was really on point, and if it came from his recent experiences and thoughts, that's great. Rick has real problems. He may be a sci-fi adventure character, but his problems are real, and it seems like Harmon has realized therapy is a good way of getting at those problems. This episode contrasted that sincere mundane solution really well with one of Rick's most absurd fantastic adventures yet, and the whole thing came together really well, in my mind.

... but i wasn't a fan of the hyperviolence.

7/10

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The hyper violence on purge planet was one of my fav bits, I'm super looking forward to this ep.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Some people need to stop trying to analyze so much. That's a job for therapists.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm completely indifferent to the therapy session, but I would have preferred if Rick had to attempt increasingly crazy and risky things to gain full mobility and get out of his "pickle" lolol, accumulating in just one final battle. It was fun and interesting seeing him in an extremely vulnerable state for once. Instead he gains mobility almost instantly and then it's right back to him being an invincible badass with nothing at stake. The show does action so well that it was still fun to watch, though the gratuitous violence approaches the line of tryhard edgy.

Overall minor nitpicks. Show still hits way more than misses.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like Rick and Morty and hate Rick and Morty fans so the therapist making GBS threads on Rick is great because it's also a jab at people who hold Rick in reverence. That's my opinion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The ending reminded me of The Fly 2. Dope episode though. I want a Pickle Rick statue now

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Gaunab posted:

I like Rick and Morty and hate Rick and Morty fans so the therapist making GBS threads on Rick is great because it's also a jab at people who hold Rick in reverence. That's my opinion.

But since more than half the thread's posters are jerking off that lovely scene, doesn't that mean you should hate the therapist?

:smug:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
"I'm not gonna take their dreams. I'm gonna take their parents." as emptied three of the guards' heads was the most :stare::black101: thing ever.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 7, 2017

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

lovely Wizard posted:

Here's a lil' visual to help you understand things :

Please. On this chart, point to where exactly you fall on the Autism spectrum.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I wish some dipshit would hurry up and re-up the pickle rick episode someplace I can watch it in Australiastan.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Was that the first episode without Jerry in it at all?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Amazing episode, god drat it I love this series and how aware of itself it is. Can't wait for more episodes and I'm reaaaaally glad they didn't show Jerry, I hope he is doing alright tho.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

p. hosed up that an episode of jerry and morty had no jerry imo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SirSamVimes posted:

:agreed:

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
The hardest working liver in the universe continues to take more abuse, this time being turned into a pickle, getting blown to bits, and replaced with field surgery using an inferior replacement pickle slice and a stapler before being anti-pickled. Let's get a drink!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
That was a great fuckin' episode. :)

Pickle Rick!

And I knew I knew that guy's voice from somewhere. Should have identified Serafinowicz sooner. :shobon:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

prefect posted:

That was a great fuckin' episode. :)

Pickle Rick!

And I knew I knew that guy's voice from somewhere. Should have identified Serafinowicz sooner. :shobon:

Having an Archer avatar you should! He's been like a half-dozen characters there.

Is this the first episode with absolutely no Jerry?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jerry wasn't in The Adventures of Doc and Mharti: Episode 1 - The Genesis.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Was the building in a foreign country? An embassy? Where do the Smiths live?

Also, "agent of averageness" is purestrain Harmon. He called therapists "agents of compromise" at least once back in the earlier days of Harmontown.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

They are gonna bone down.

It says a lot about this show that I read that, stopped, and thought "well they did make a point in this episode about how she isn't his real daughter..."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Justin Harmon, you magnificent bastard.

Pickle Rick is the shows finest idea.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Justin Harmon, you magnificent bastard.

Pickle Rick is the shows finest idea.

I want a Pickle Rick arcade beat-em-up now.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

prefect posted:

Also, "agent of averageness" is purestrain Harmon. He called therapists "agents of compromise" at least once back in the earlier days of Harmontown.
Having watched the Harmontown special on Netflix, I've just assumed that Rick is just Harmon's self insert. From the alcoholism, the self loathing, the narcisism, being a control freak, and being unable to maintain a relationship with anyone.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ZombyDog posted:

Having watched the Harmontown special on Netflix, I've just assumed that Rick is just Harmon's self insert. From the alcoholism, the self loathing, the narcisism, being a control freak, and being unable to maintain a relationship with anyone.

Dan's actually gotten better over the years -- he now sees a shrink regularly, and he is a lot more self-aware. Pretty sure he still hates giraffes, though.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Was Peter Schanfasdfasfwitz voicing just the main bad guy, or all of them?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pickle Rick was amazing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

prefect posted:

Dan's actually gotten better over the years -- he now sees a shrink regularly, and he is a lot more self-aware. Pretty sure he still hates giraffes, though.

He was getting better until November of last year, at which point he absolutely lost his poo poo and has never been the same. Or at least Harmontown hasn't.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Motherfucker posted:

I wish some dipshit would hurry up and re-up the pickle rick episode someplace I can watch it in Australiastan.

People are brazenly releasing this poo poo on YouTube, it isn't even ****FILES****

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

counterfeitsaint posted:

He was getting better until November of last year, at which point he absolutely lost his poo poo and has never been the same. Or at least Harmontown hasn't.

What happened?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SirSamVimes posted:

Hell, it barely had Morty

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Can you actually get high from pottery materials?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

prefect posted:

You can get high on paint thinner, you can get high on anything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

If it releases vapors and you can put it in a bag you can get high.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The best part of the episode was Rick poo poo talking the boss rat after nailing it to the loving wall, spewing out a laundry list of basically every cartoon rat villain in animation history.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Summer is going to grow up to be Dead Wife on American Gods.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Monglo posted:

What happened?

:chaostrump:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar