Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

still holding out hope for the yellow basic tee and cream basics with something other than quick respawn and special saver, i like wearing the starter gear as camouflage but those two abilities dont really suit my playstyle

also i love my toni kensa black arrow shoes with ink saver main rather than drop roller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Lakbay posted:

How the heck do you deal with autobombs, you can't shoot them and I feel like they follow you forever before they explode
Once they lock in on you they stand still for like 2 seconds before they actually explode. It's pretty simple to dart away from them. They're most lethal when you're just not paying attention and don't notice them at all.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The furry art rush is creepy as poo poo and not even close to appropriate for a game where a large chunk of the player population are kids.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm not someone who sees furry stuff as inherently sexual, but I would also like very much for people to knock it the gently caress off if only for variety's sake.

E: There is also that kinda brony feel of "We're muscling our way into this space that wasn't made for us"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm not someone who sees furry stuff as inherently sexual, but I would also like very much for people to knock it the gently caress off if only for variety's sake.

E: There is also that kinda brony feel of "We're muscling our way into this space that wasn't made for us"

The simple fact that all it took was one art post going "no furry poo poo" to cause a rush from a shitload of them in a kid's game should give you some massive red flags as to their mental state. It's one of those things that needs to get shut down hard or it'll only get worse.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The simple fact with Chargers in Salmon Run is it's unfeasible, and unacceptable, to assume every single player is competent with the only weapon type that has a minimum skill level necessary to be decent. Players who main Chargers aren't exactly going to be common to start with, and it's still a diceroll to put one in their hands for one wave out of three.

You don't have to main a Charger to be okay with them in Salmon Run. I never play with them outside of it but I can still use them fine when I get one, taking out priority targets quickly. I have more problems with the non-boss salmonids. Try taking a second and giving your Charger-wielding teammate a hand by keeping the annoying salmonids in check around them if they're having issues, they might suddenly be quite a bit more effective. This is a cooperative mode, and adjusting tactics to weapon loadouts is part of the bargain after all.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that even if Chargers were removed, there would still be players not playing to the fullest of the game's potential, probably quite a few of the same players you're noticing with Chargers. The game has only been out for a few weeks. A lot of people playing now didn't play the first, and not everyone is playing for hours every day. It takes a little bit of time to learn every weapon type, not just Chargers. They're just far more noticable.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The furry art rush is creepy as poo poo and not even close to appropriate for a game where a large chunk of the player population are kids.

Why? There's nothing inherently wrong with furries. There's still a ton of cartoons and games that have characters that are furries. Sonic's getting two new games this year. You're even playing one, Splatoon. There's people that have a kink about it, sure, and if that's showing up then absolutely report it because that doesn't belong here, but a drawing of an anthropomorphized animal isn't inappropriate by itself.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Onean posted:

a drawing of an anthropomorphized animal isn't inappropriate by itself.

This is true and would maybe be an out if nearly all the furry art posts didn't scream "FURRY" in them directly referring to the fetish

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You missed the one of the anthro wolf licking mayo off his paws and face.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Like maybe three of those are from actual furries. The rest are from a meme that the Splatoon community latched onto like a lot of things that flair up in posts

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why are they all drawing wolves and crap? At least get creative with it and make an anthropomorphized sea cucumber.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I guess the entire point I was trying to make but didn't really say was that furry art isn't always a fetish any more. It hasn't been for quite a while now. There is furry fetish art, but labeling something furry doesn't make it a sexual thing. Everything you show there is actually perfectly fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onean posted:

I guess the entire point I was trying to make but didn't really say was that furry art isn't always a fetish any more. It hasn't been for quite a while now. There is furry fetish art, but labeling something furry doesn't make it a sexual thing. Everything you show there is actually perfectly fine.

Take a good hard think about what people are gonna find when they wonder what a Furry is and google the term.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I've seen Rick and Morty pictures in my plaza and though that show isn't appropriate for children the pictures were fine on their own. I wouldn't report those so I'm not going to report furry drawings just because I'd rather not see them, unless they are actually inappropriate.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Takoluka posted:

You missed the one of the anthro wolf licking mayo off his paws and face.

:airquote: Mayo. :airquote:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Is nintendo strict on report spamming abuse? I dont know how nintendo's staff react to the images of just a character with "furry" next to them. Havent heard anyone get in trouble yet for it though

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are they all drawing wolves and crap? At least get creative with it and make an anthropomorphized sea cucumber.

Well the game already got the sea creature stuff covered.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Onean posted:

Why? There's nothing inherently wrong with furries.
Go talk to the folks who "got out" of the furry thing and ask them what kind of unacceptable poo poo they saw first hand. (hint: they're all pedos)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Take a good hard think about what people are gonna find when they wonder what a Furry is and google the term.

I mean, sure, but "innocuous subject with sexual references kids probably shouldn't google or YouTube" isn't exactly a small category.

Edit:

LethalGeek posted:

Go talk to the folks who "got out" of the furry thing and ask them what kind of unacceptable poo poo they saw first hand. (hint: they're all pedos)

I'm just talking about the art, I should clarify. Though I doubt everyone that goes for the furry thing is a pedo, I'm not surprised some are. You can find the most despicable people in every community.

This is getting way off topic though, so I'm done. I should be sleeping right now anyways.

Onean fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 7, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
My square has lately been inundated with anti-furry graffiti.

And one plea to make squids gay.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They either are a literal child with safe search on or they already know.

Maybe some shut-in homeschooled kid will learn something but they were doomed anyway.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How many weapons did splatoon 1 have? Did it do the 1 new weapon a week thing Splat2 is doing?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tengames posted:

Well the game already got the sea creature stuff covered.

There's an entire ocean for them to work with! Instead of drawing themselves as wolves they should be wolffish.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Internet Kraken posted:

There's an entire ocean for them to work with! Instead of drawing themselves as wolves they should be wolffish.

You're asking people who have a high knowledge of the anatomy of canine sexual organs to draw them to suddenly expand to nautical creatures. They're good at one thing and one thing only.

Anyway, it's probably OK if the graphics are a bit... odd, since there even is an app for parental control. On the other hand that requires some effort from the parents, especially if they just see the Switch as a convenient way to distract the little blighters for a moment and will not think twice on giving them GTA V. That's just how life is.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is it just me or are the shotgun and the paintbrush now that great? I feel like the shotgun is too slow and the brush lines are too thin, plus I get owned by splatties when wielding that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

You're asking people who have a high knowledge of the anatomy of canine sexual organs to draw them to suddenly expand to nautical creatures. They're good at one thing and one thing only.

Anyway, it's probably OK if the graphics are a bit... odd, since there even is an app for parental control. On the other hand that requires some effort from the parents, especially if they just see the Switch as a convenient way to distract the little blighters for a moment and will not think twice on giving them GTA V. That's just how life is.

There's no parental control on the art posts. In a G-rated game. There is zero reason to expect, or accept, this poo poo.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Hello spletfriends, I recently picked up a Switch and this game. It's super fun but also I'm terrible so if there are any easy beginner tips, I'm all ears. Especially for the Heavy Splatling; it's the only gatling I have unlocked, but it seems like a bunch of fun. I just can't turf worth a drat with it, and the special is bizarre.

Also, why are my points always so low when I use a roller? I can regularly score 900-1000 points before win bonus with something like the Aerospray, but with a roller I cap out at around 600 or so. I thought they were really good at covering the floor?

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

FYI furry art is creepy because the safe for work kind is a very thin, flimsy crust over the disgusting pit of every known fetish, lovingly drawn on a wacom tablet.

Plus you ever see someone draw an adult dick wolf? Can't be done, looks like a childrens cartoon character whatever they do.

I'm not gonna test it myself but search for innocent furry pictures on Google and see how long it takes to get something grim. I bet it's less than 5 minutes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Onean posted:

i went ahead punched 'furry' into google images and got dozens of lusty wolfboy images on the first page (despite safesearch) so maybe, just maybe it's something that the 'furry community' could keep out of a game for kids.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LethalGeek posted:

citation needed

(spoilers: you don't have one)

Don't get me wrong, I don't *get* furries, and I don't like their art making GBS threads up Inkopolis, but saying that they're posting art in a video game to try to prey on children is ridiculous.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DLC Inc posted:

is it just me or are the shotgun and the paintbrush now that great? I feel like the shotgun is too slow and the brush lines are too thin, plus I get owned by splatties when wielding that.

No idea what the shotgun is, but brushes play extremely differently than other weapons. You can't do anything from range but can kill extremely quickly up close. The key to using a brush is to utilize its mobility to constantly flank and ambush. Also you really need to lean on your subweapon when that isn't an option. Both the inkbrush and octobrush have good subweapons for flushing people out of places you can't reach easily.

The inkbrush does have a very thin trail though, which is why you want ink resistance equipped when using one. It mostly negates the slowdown from touching ink so you won't lose all your speed when you dash away and brush up against a tiny puddle.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Hello spletfriends, I recently picked up a Switch and this game. It's super fun but also I'm terrible so if there are any easy beginner tips, I'm all ears. Especially for the Heavy Splatling; it's the only gatling I have unlocked, but it seems like a bunch of fun. I just can't turf worth a drat with it, and the special is bizarre.

Also, why are my points always so low when I use a roller? I can regularly score 900-1000 points before win bonus with something like the Aerospray, but with a roller I cap out at around 600 or so. I thought they were really good at covering the floor?

The aerospray is absurdly good for turf coverage so you're almost always gonna do poorly with other weapons compared to it in turf war.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

No idea what the shotgun is, but brushes play extremely differently than other weapons. You can't do anything from range but can kill extremely quickly up close. The key to using a brush is to utilize its mobility to constantly flank and ambush. Also you really need to lean on your subweapon when that isn't an option. Both the inkbrush and octobrush have good subweapons for flushing people out of places you can't reach easily.

The inkbrush does have a very thin trail though, which is why you want ink resistance equipped when using one. It mostly negates the slowdown from touching ink so you won't lose all your speed when you dash away and brush up against a tiny puddle.

my mistake is probably trying to play it exactly as I was when I used a roller

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's no parental control on the art posts. In a G-rated game. There is zero reason to expect, or accept, this poo poo.
Isn't there an option to turn off posts in parental controls? At the very least you can turn it off in the options. But yeah, the sexual content shouldn't be in there in the first place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lelandjs posted:

citation needed

Don't get me wrong, I don't *get* furries, and I don't like their art making GBS threads up Inkopolis, but saying that they're posting art in a video game to try to prey on children is ridiculous.

It's quite probably the most mentally-unwell subculture in the internet, and we're saying they should be kept far away from children (or hell, anyone really) on general principle. If they think they have even a hint of a safe space to post art, you'll never get rid of them.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's quite probably the most mentally-unwell subculture in the internet, and we're saying they should be kept far away from children (or hell, anyone really) on general principle. If they think they have even a hint of a safe space to post art, you'll never get rid of them.

Yeah, I agree with that, more or less. It was the pedophile thing that bugged me--like there's way more pedo poo poo in, like, henati, but you'll almost never hear a goon complain about that...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

lelandjs posted:

citation needed

Mainly remembering horror stories from https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444416 this thread where towards the end furries became a topic and there was a common theme throughout all the stories of people who were hip deep in the muck.

and lol goons call out anime as a bunch of nonsense for sick weirdos all the time, where have you been? Hell there's a gold mined thread where the first post is calling the entire subforum a bunch of pedos

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 7, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Internet Kraken posted:

You'd think it would be people you splat cause otherwise its useless.

I always considered that ability a risk/reward type deal for those that are really good at the scope or something

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
As much as furries like to pretend like they're a lifestyle rather than a fetish they sure have difficulty letting go of the sex poo poo

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

well why not posted:

i went ahead punched 'furry' into google images and got dozens of lusty wolfboy images on the first page (despite safesearch) so maybe, just maybe it's something that the 'furry community' could keep out of a game for kids.

I knew I should have guessed 5 seconds, 5 minutes was far too generous from this old goon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gootuber is terrible for Salmon Run. Lowest range charger, longest charge time, and the hold charge gimmick isn't terribly important in Salmon Run (also you can extend the normal charge time of other chargers by rapidly going in and out of ink).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Now that I'm playing in ranked I've gained a new appreciation for the octobrush. Especially in the tower control, that thing is ridiculous and can just throw paint on top of the tower really easily. Managed to get 23 kills on my first try (in C- mind you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Now that I'm playing in ranked I've gained a new appreciation for the octobrush. Especially in the tower control, that thing is ridiculous and can just throw paint on top of the tower really easily. Managed to get 23 kills on my first try (in C- mind you).

TC & Rainmaker turn into short range blood baths the higher up in rank you go, it's insane and fun.