Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/

Just like last month's British Open, there seems to be little hype about the PGA, despite it coming to Quail Hollow, a course SO GOOD that when the PGA Tour returned to it for the Wells Fargo (formerly Wachovia) Championship in 2003, people said it would absolutely get a major. FYI, it hosted the Kemper Open 1969-75 and the Senior Tour's PaineWebber Invitational 1983-89 but was redesigned by Tom Fazio in 1997 and 2003.

Also Jordan Spieth can become the youngest person to win the career slam but whatever.

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: TNT 1-7PM
Sat/Sun: TNT 11AM-2PM, CBS 2-7PM

Additional streaming every day on the website and app.

Marquee Tee Times (Thu/Fri ET)
1:25PM (1) 8:15AM (10): Jimmy Walker, Phil Mickelson, Jason Dufner
1:35PM (1) 8:25PM (10): Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm, Rickie Fowler
1:45PM (1) 8:35AM (10): Matt Kuchar, Justin Rose, Brandt Snedeker
7:45AM (10) 12:55PM (1): Hideki Matsuyama, Ernie Els, Ian Poulter
8:25AM (10) 1:35PM (1): Sergio Garcia, Brooks Koepka, Jordan Spieth
8:35AM (10) 1:45PM (1): Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, Henrik Stenson

Odds
Rory McIlroy 7/1
Jordan Spieth 8/1
Dustin Johnson 12/1
Hideki Matsuyama 12/1
Rickie Fowler 18/1
Jon Rahm 22/1
Brooks Koepka 25/1
Jason Day 25/1
Adam Scott 33/1
Justin Rose 33/1
Sergio Garcia 33/1

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who hasn't won a major in the last 3 years. Best finisher gets a dozen balls or :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Hideki Matsuyama. I think he should be exempted as should all players ranked in the top 10, so I'm going to win with him just to make a point. :colbert:
DJExile: Rickie Fowler
mattfl: Bubba Watson
Keyser_Soze: J.B. Holmes
Douchebag: Charley Hoffman
EnsGDT: Jon Rahm
Shrapnig: Matt Kuchar
daslog: Justin Rose
Dr. Capco: Phil Mickelson
Kameh: Jim Furyk
Bilirubin: Adam Scott

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just so I can say "I told you so" in case they win, I think Justin Rose or Phil Mickelson are also excellent picks.

This is page 4-5 of the official program guide :stare:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 7, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RICKIE IS DUE, DAMMIT

(rickie, pls)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Back to Bubba for me please.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Thanks for setting this up, Josh so you could grab Hedeki! :japan:

I'll take Justin Thomas and 2 of those moderately attractive blonde robots from the real estate handout.

My 3 minute analysis has come up with the following: Longish but straight hitters will own, but weather and sogginess may be a factor, so junkman players may get to weeze up the board on the weekend.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 7, 2017

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Charley Hoffman please. Dude is due. Or at least he will finish 2nd and I'll win the pool.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Is Rory available to pick? :D

If he's not, I'll take Jon Rahm, please!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'll take Kuchar, he's a good lad who means well.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Rory won the PGA on August 10, 2014 so he's out, lol. It's close though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Matsuyama is due. I'll take him

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

Rory won the PGA on August 10, 2014 so he's out, lol. It's close though.

Yeah, major winners in the last 3 years is more precisely winners of the last 12 majors.

Realistically, Rory is probably gonna win because he's won on this course twice and lost another in a playoff.

daslog posted:

Matsuyama is due. I'll take him
He has already been picked.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 7, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, major winners in the last 3 years is more precisely winners of the last 12 majors.

Realistically, Rory is probably gonna win because he's won on this course twice and lost another in a playoff.

He has already been picked.

Fine. Justin Rose is going to win then.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Based on the rules as written I was trying to see if there was any way to weasel into a 3 year technicality! :classiclol:

I don't think Rory will win though.........it will be some rando top 30.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Fine. Justin Rose is going to win then.
Rosie has an amazing chance. The two times he played here at Quail Hollow, he finished 3rd in 2016 and 5th in 2014.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'll take Phil Mickelson because he's cool. :coolfish:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Apparently they're moving the PGA Championship to May in 2019.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Apparently they're moving the PGA Championship to May in 2019.

Attempt to get more attention on it? Because man that seems like it would put it in competition with a lot of other events.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I'll take Kuchar, he's a good lad who means well.

Ahem.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Attempt to get more attention on it? Because man that seems like it would put it in competition with a lot of other events.

They want the playoffs over before NFL seasons and this also prevents issues based on the Olympics.

The players is moving back to March I guess.

So basically

March - Players
April - Masters
May - PGA
June - US Open
July - British
August - Playoffs

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 7, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
You know what? Literally all of my picks are taken. I wanted Mickelson most of all.

I am SITTING THIS ONE OUT!

Edit: Screw it, give me Furyk. LET'S GO BABY

Kameh fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 8, 2017

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Someone needs to take J.B. Holmes for sure. Filthy long, can play mudder junkball and has already won at Quail Hollow.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Kameh posted:

You know what? Literally all of my picks are taken. I wanted Mickelson most of all.

I am SITTING THIS ONE OUT!

Edit: Screw it, give me Furyk. LET'S GO BABY

Look at this Jim Furyk apologist.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

As tempted as I am to take Mickelson, who is *nearly* my age and thus needs to prove we olds still have it, gimme Adam Scott please and thank you

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The weirdest mental block with Kuch.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:barf: :gonk: :nms:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin made a good point that this also opens up a lot more southern courses to play as well.

quote:

Moving a major to May opens up Sun Belt courses to host—they’re just too drat hot in August. As Golf Digest notes, a major hasn’t been held in Texas since 1969 or Florida since 1987. The potential drawback is that some northern courses might be a little chilly in May—the 2023 PGA Championship is scheduled for Oak Hill in Rochester, N.Y., for example.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Deadspin made a good point that this also opens up a lot more southern courses to play as well.

Oh man, yes please bring a major championship to Florida, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

There aren't that many major-caliber courses in the south relative to the north. The US Open will continue to get better tracks relative to the PGA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

There aren't that many major-caliber courses in the south relative to the north. The US Open will continue to get better tracks relative to the PGA.

Yeah I kinda wondered about that too. Offhand in the southeast I can think of like Augusta and Bay Hill and... that's about it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Yeah I kinda wondered about that too. Offhand in the southeast I can think of like Augusta and Bay Hill and... that's about it.

I dunno if I'd consider Bay Hill a major-caliber course. It's a good tournament course, but not sure if it's major tournament good. Which begs the question, what elevates a course from good for a regular PGA tournament to PGA major tournament ready?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Josh, switch me to J.B. Holmes please.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

I dunno if I'd consider Bay Hill a major-caliber course. It's a good tournament course, but not sure if it's major tournament good. Which begs the question, what elevates a course from good for a regular PGA tournament to PGA major tournament ready?

I'd imagine its a combination of capacity for fans, media, and players, ability to dial up conditions, length or ability to be made longer through temporary tips tee boxes, quality of the grass itself, etc. There'd have to be a lot of different factors.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
If this schedule sticks, then I think you could see courses being built in the vast lands of Texas for the explicit purpose of hosting a major. That's what Erin Hills did. I know the architect of Chambers Bay had intentions of making a major championship course as well.

There are probably some courses in Texas that could host a PGA Tour event, as we already have three courses in the regular season lineup, but I don't think any of them are Major Championship quality.

I would like to see The Judge course at Capitol Hill in Alabama host a US Open for the men. IIRC it is hosting or has hosted a Women's US Open and a men's US Amateur. It's a fantastic course.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
how about Lake Tahoe or anwywhere in the NW in August instead of more tournaments in the fuckin' South. :colbert: yes, I'm joking but also I'm a dick

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The rain in the north and Midwest in may would be more of an issue than the temperature IMO.

And the issue with Florida majors for me is that the worthy courses already have regular tournaments so who cares?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rory won all his majors on wet courses.

Quail Hollow is wetter than a duck's rear end.

Rory gonna win.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

sportsgenius86 posted:

The rain in the north and Midwest in may would be more of an issue than the temperature IMO.

And the issue with Florida majors for me is that the worthy courses already have regular tournaments so who cares?

There's definitely been years here in Minnesota where there is still ice on the lakes in mid may. I bet this more or less removes MN and WI courses from eligibility unfortunately.

I mean I suppose they could hold the US Open at Hazeltine or Interlachen or something, but I doubt it.

Whistling straits could maybe get a us open in the future, not sure if they'd go back to Erin hills though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My dad got to play Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run a couple times and he absolutely loved them.

Pretty sure WS got a few PGA championships and senior opens too.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Whistling Straits had the PGA two years ago ffs.

And it has they Ryder Cup in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Yeah, I was referring to if the PGA was in May and it's generally 40-60 degrees out, the PGA and the players would likely opt for a more southern destination for the PGA championship.

Leaving the US open as the only major that could be played in the upper Midwest and there are just a few courses 'prestigious' enough to host one in MN and WI.

• Locked thread