Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

shrike82 posted:

lol when people do poo poo like this

I'm sorry sir but your Vegas Pro and Powerpoint licenses have been revoked and your going to need to come with me.

One of the 1950Xs seems to be running at 4.2Ghz, so it seems newer B1s have a higher clock ceiling. Might bode well for B2 after all. Also it loses to the one clocked at 3.4Ghz which I can only assume is running much faster ram so even the #1 spot isn't the best Threadripper can do :kheldragar:

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I'm surprised they labeled the bars. Outs it as a sham graph pretty easily. I work with data on a daily basis and laypeople's eyes glaze over when they're asked to interpret an X or Y axis.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Ha, I'll show you a real good chart!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

bobfather posted:

I'm surprised they labeled the bars. Outs it as a sham graph pretty easily. I work with data on a daily basis and laypeople's eyes glaze over when they're asked to interpret an X or Y axis.

So what you're saying is we need to make graphs in the third dimension, because people only concentrate on the Z axis...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It might be capped at 144, so Intel *could* have a big lead. That said, :murder:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That graph is loving hilarious. Holy poo poo.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXFKsSbvro

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

shrike82 posted:

lol when people do poo poo like this

ahahaha...this is Fox News grade

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Measly Twerp posted:

Lol, holy poo poo where is that from?

CNN

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its a good test idea but if you are playing a game on your low end CPU with a youtube video and a twitch video playing in the background, plus a bunch of tabs auto refreshing, you might be a complete dumbass

discord+spotify+a few static tabs is probably pretty normal though

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Cygni posted:

its a good test idea but if you are playing a game on your low end CPU with a youtube video and a twitch video playing in the background, plus a bunch of tabs auto refreshing, you might be a complete dumbass

The R5 1600 exists for almost this exact use case. If doing all these things is important to you please invest the extra $90.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

How else am I going to marathon Star Trek Voyager without blowing my brains out?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Measly Twerp posted:

How else am I going to marathon Star Trek Voyager without blowing my brains out?

Why would you do this to yourself unless your goal was suicide?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD have managed to reproduce the Ryzen segfault bug, and confirmed that it doesn't affect Threadripper or Epyc.

They don't have a fix for Ryzen yet though.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

Why would you do this to yourself unless your goal was suicide?

I mean how bad can it be?

*2 weeks and 2 episodes of Captain wants to gently caress holo Leonardo Da Vinci later*

HELP

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Who dat?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The man who pushed the bulldozer architecture.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How can it affect Ryzen, but not TR, if they're both the same stepping?

:thunk:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

Microcode?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do we have the stepping of the retail product yet, or just the stepping of some engineering samples?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Supposedly it affects only certain Ryzen processors and more recent ones are unaffected. Don't think there's a big database of affected/microcode/production date to confirm though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjvoNta_1Y

I puckered after the second GPU.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Supposedly it affects only certain Ryzen processors and more recent ones are unaffected. Don't think there's a big database of affected/microcode/production date to confirm though.
it also affects dual core broadwells

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I puckered after the second GPU.

He is known to drop things.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Linus, they're GPGPUs, not jenga blocks!

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like to yell TRIP. TRIP. TRIP YOU BITCH. when i carry something expensive from one end of my house to the other, or carry something 4 feet.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I think the VP of Radeon technology group is there as a punishment.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Does anyone know when the Threadripper NDA drops and a few dozen reviews will drop simultaneously?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'll let you know when I get a dozen or so youtube notifications at once.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know when the Threadripper NDA drops and a few dozen reviews will drop simultaneously?

The NDA drops on launch day, the 10th.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Well there technically isn't an NDA on thermal paste, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWu2tcm4wL8

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Do we know which of the four dies are dummies and which aren't? I'm thinking what I'll do is put a long rice grain over the two active dies and screw the other two if they are purely structural.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'll do the usual: spread Arctic Silver 3 evenly to whole surface with a credit card and don't think about it too much. I'm scared of change so I'll keep on using what has worked so far!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Why are you trying to minmax thermal paste on active dies?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Why *aren't you*? :colbert:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do we know which of the four dies are dummies and which aren't? I'm thinking what I'll do is put a long rice grain over the two active dies and screw the other two if they are purely structural.

But the whole IHS will still heat up so you're constraining a part of its ability to dissipate heat? :confused:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
does the flux through the ihs stay constant over its entire area if there are smaller, localized sources? or wouldn't the flux be higher above those areas?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

Well there technically isn't an NDA on thermal paste, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWu2tcm4wL8

I like how it says +/- 1C completely invalidating any conclusions.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
the conclusion becomes "do whichever of these methods is easiest"/uses least paste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Malloc Voidstar posted:

the conclusion becomes "do whichever of these methods is easiest"/uses least paste

and use real thermal paste and not mayo.