Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

KakerMix posted:

1988 Toyota Soarer GT Twin Turbo, $1740.

:fap: I want a Z20 with the 7M-GTE so freaking bad.

Edit: :page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
that generation of soarer looks extremely badass

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

gimpsuitjones posted:

that generation of soarer looks extremely badass

I'm just searching and searching and waiting for an AeroCabin to come up. 500 made, so even rarer than the UZZ32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd09AfnOGGI

Edit: 11-ish minutes in. The warning buzzer is :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wiZ6wcOJWY

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 6, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

Yech. Those are uggo. Kaker I would be very interested to see pricing on the Suzuki Alto Works. I have the go ahead for the car purchase in April, maybe this is what I need to scratch the itch?

If you are waiting till April then you get potentially more choices as more of them become US-legal.
Digging around some more to differentiate between the models. The only one with AWD is the RS/R, there is also the 2WD RS/X and a standard 2WD Turbo depending on the year. All of the 2WD versions are front wheel drive.
None currently at auction though that changes daily. Nine total have come up for auction in the last three months and only 3 of them would I have considered bidding on. The two that I've been interested in have both had oil leaks. There are currently 8 for sale at various dealerships (that I can see, anyway) in Japan and assuming they will sell wholesale 4 that look good enough to bother importing. Prices on the dealer ones will be higher because they are meant for domestic sale and are expected to be able to pass inspection upon being registered by the new owner. This means generally you can expect them to be in better shape than one going to auction that might be there because it won't pass inspection. I suspect this is why my Hijet was auctioned off, it needed to have it's oil leak fixed.
So for prices: ???
If you can I'd set aside $10k for a clean, unmolested one. Depends on the quality you want though. I like stuff close to stock and unmolested as possible but I don't care too much about mileage. Sometimes a nice taken-care-of but higher mileage car will show up that would be worth it, other times a low mileage one with a bunch of stupid tacky crap like a big rear end recaro seat for the driver and a crystal or screwdriver handle stick shift with three turbo gauges screwed into the dash and the front wheels stanced out with a 2-liter-sized exhaust popping out the back. And they'll want too much money for it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

If you can I'd set aside $10k for a clean, unmolested one.
Man walks onto a lot. Says "I have $10k to spend, what you got?"

Dealer says "Here you go, this just came in. I'm taking money out my own pocket, frankly, but for you, $10k."

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

DogonCrook posted:

E:holy poo poo not only are these rare now they are going for 15k

IDK what kind of universe you're living in, but unmolested Starquests are going for under 8 all day, and under 3 for ones that have something like the front air dam missing, because some parts are unobtainium. I could see an all original #'s with the rare louvers, a perfect interior, and a perfect service history going for >10k, but yeah anyone asking 15k is out of their loving mind and are not going to sell it with any speed.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 7, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Dannywilson posted:

IDK what kind of universe you're living in, but unmolested Starquests are going for under 8 all day, and under 3 for ones that have something like the front air dam missing, because some parts are unobtainium. I could see an all original #'s with the rare lovers, a perfect interior, and a perfect service history going for >10k, but yeah anyone asking 15k is out of their loving mind and are not going to sell it with any speed.

I just did a quick search and nothing popped up at all on autotrader. They only 2 i could find for sale were both 15k listed. They did look like really clean examples. Im sure you could find a better deal but its slim pickings.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah that reminds me i have always wanted a widebody starion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Starion

E:holy poo poo not only are these rare now they are going for 15k

They
Aren't
Hard
To
Find.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Between a buddy of mine and myself, we've managed to buy three in the last nine months for roughly $3500 total for the three of them. Granted, one is a solid runner, one is being turned into a 1UZ drift/racecar, and the third is being use primarily as a running donor for the other two, but yeah, Starquests are fuckin cool, and I wish more people would appreciate them.

That's the SHP equipped runner out in the first Appalachian snow, right near the Blue Ridge Parkway back in January, right after a 700 mile roadtrip to Myrtle Beach and back. Yeah, she's got a bent bumper and trashed seats, but she looks pretty good, no?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

Between a buddy of mine and myself, we've managed to buy three in the last nine months for roughly $3500 total for the three of them. Granted, one is a solid runner, one is being turned into a 1UZ drift/racecar, and the third is being use primarily as a running donor for the other two, but yeah, Starquests are fuckin cool, and I wish more people would appreciate them.

That's the SHP equipped runner out in the first Appalachian snow, right near the Blue Ridge Parkway back in January, right after a 700 mile roadtrip to Myrtle Beach and back. Yeah, she's got a bent bumper and trashed seats, but she looks pretty good, no?

Some day I'll probably get my hands on a '88 or '89 and stick at 4G63T in to it. But probably not until after I get the Talon running, get the totaled one parted out and the chassis hauled off, and probably at least get a different 4-door and say goodbye to the Saturn.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Got a few leads.

A 1983 Honda Acty van, one owner, with AC. Waiting for some larger pictures but otherwise :allears:

1985 Suzuki Every

1981 Daihatsu Hijet that's been 'tastefully' modded. So goofy looking but still rad.

I just loving LOVE vans.

1984 Daihatsu Hijet Jumbo with all it's decals.

1989 Suzuki Alto Works RS/X. Unmolested.

1992 Subaru Vivo RX-R. SUPERCHARGED. This thing has actual rally pedigree but style-wise does nothing for me. I guess it was claimed to be under the 64hp limit but it actually was much higher.
Gosh now reading up on the thing maybe I should get it :v:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 7, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

How "substantially similar" does a vehicle need to be in order to avoid the 25 year moratorium on import or having to wreck three of them? I mean, I'm pretty sure a Legnum is out since I don't think US ever got a Galant wagon, but what about an Evo Sportback? US market basically just got one that's one trim line down, and the important bits for DOT have US equivalents.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MikeyTsi posted:

How "substantially similar" does a vehicle need to be in order to avoid the 25 year moratorium on import or having to wreck three of them? I mean, I'm pretty sure a Legnum is out since I don't think US ever got a Galant wagon, but what about an Evo Sportback? US market basically just got one that's one trim line down, and the important bits for DOT have US equivalents.

From everything I've seen it is pretty strict. Body panels different? Different car. Steering wheel on the other side? Different car.

The whole thing is a protection scheme for US domestic manufactures and it's built to make it hard to get a car that's under 25 years old into the country.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

You would need the manufacturer to give you 2 sheets of paper, one saying the safety equipment is identical to the American model, and one saying the emissions equipment is identical to the American model.

I have seen RHD toyota cavileers in the US, but i'm pretty sure that's just a lot of vinfuckery.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

KakerMix posted:

*Special mention for California here. California has strict pollution requirements for all vehicles. I’m not exactly familiar with why imported cars tend to have a hard time with Carb outside of ‘doesn’t meet the requirements’ so someone else can explain why, but it means that most kei vehicles at least are not state legal in California even though they are federally legal in the greater United States. I’ve seen a few people obtain exemptions from California to legalize their imported vehicles but it seems like that’s the exception rather than the rule.

The issue with California is that direct import vehicles have to pass FTP (federal test procedure) driving cycles, just like a manufacturer does type certifying a vehicle. The testing is several thousand dollars by itself, without considering modifications to bring the vehicle into conformance.
For an R32 GTR it costs something like 12-15k to modify and certify as CARB legal, which completely destroys the value of the car, you could be looking at 40k for an r32 skyline and you can buy much faster cars for 40k

I was quite set on getting an R32 GTR, the performance and buildability is difficult to beat at even the inflated 20-25k you can get a decent one for now, but when I weighed up the hassle and uncertainty of having to register out of state or paying close to 40k for a 25 year old car, even one as cool and evocative, I decided against it and bought a 911 turbo instead.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

:fap: I want a Z20 with the 7M-GTE so freaking bad.

Edit: :page3:

Car yes, engine no. Unless you like taking engines to bits to install head gaskets and ARPs*... A friend has purchased 2 spare 7Ms and I'm toying with the idea of buying one and rebuilding it so it's bulletproof (mine burns oil) or just go all out and swap for a 2JZ/1UZ.

*ignore if this has been done already, the bottom ends are beefy and will take abuse but won't stand running low on oil at all.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 7, 2017

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Car yes, engine no. Unless you like taking engines to bits to install head gaskets and ARPs*... A friend has purchased 2 spare 7Ms and I'm toying with the idea of buying one and rebuilding it so it's bulletproof (mine burns oil) or just go all out and swap for a 2JZ/1UZ.

*ignore if this has been done already, the bottom ends are beefy and will take abuse but won't stand running low on oil at all.

That's OK, I'd be so terrified of getting it wrecked that it would just live in my garage forever. :)

Edit, and yeah, 1/2JZ is the obvious swap for these cars. Don't need to go changing the turbo I6 for a V8.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Built 7Ms respond well to an Accusump if you are planning on giving it the beans.

As for R32 GTRs I think I have touched on this before but I plan to wait for a bunch to make it to the US and the engines to go boom, because the RB26 is not super reliable imo, then buy a replacement short block from RIPS in New Zealand as then I get the car I want for less than market and I get to know that it was rebuilt by some of the best out there. If anyone is really interested in one tho feel free to drop me a PM so I can give you the low down on what to check out.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I want an R32 GTR but not at 25k. A shame cause I'll prob never get to own one but I'll just remind myself they are heavy and I probably won't like it as much as I think I will. That's how that works right

Just gotta find an FD or an NSX some day and I won't care about never owning a GTR :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

R32 GTRs were down under 10 grand here at one point.

then they all got crashed/blowed up.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nodoze posted:

I want an R32 GTR but not at 25k. A shame cause I'll prob never get to own one but I'll just remind myself they are heavy and I probably won't like it as much as I think I will. That's how that works right

Just gotta find an FD or an NSX some day and I won't care about never owning a GTR :v:

What's the exchange rate like? A friend here in the UK has an ~800bhp R32 GTR up for that amount in £££...

Car is a loving monster but I'd turn down the boost personally, it's just silly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nodoze posted:

I've ridden in a few back in the early 90's and tbh I was way more impressed with the Pulsar at the time. It was light and nimble and handled incredibly, plus it was the coolest hot hatch I had ever seen. The skylines were heavy and you felt it. It sounds dumb to me now because of how popular the r32 is, but at that time they were like the Mustang of Japan, and the turbo RX7's were the Camaros, drag racing all the time so they were no big deal. I just don't see them as anything special because of that I guess. If I was going to spend that kind of coin on a Japanese import I'd get 70's Skyline or a Panda or something.

Or do what that other guy did and buy a 911 turbo.

[e] Hey Kaker, is there a way to see past sales like on ebay? I'd like to see what the average selling price is for one of those Mitsu Jeeps.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 7, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What's the exchange rate like? A friend here in the UK has an ~800bhp R32 GTR up for that amount in £££...

Car is a loving monster but I'd turn down the boost personally, it's just silly.

It is what 1.2 $ to the £ right now?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've ridden in a few back in the early 90's and tbh I was way more impressed with the Pulsar at the time. It was light and nimble and handled incredibly, plus it was the coolest hot hatch I had ever seen. The skylines were heavy and you felt it. It sounds dumb to me now because of how popular the r32 is, but at that time they were like the Mustang of Japan, and the turbo RX7's were the Camaros, drag racing all the time so they were no big deal.

The Pulsar GTIR is great and I want one for Autocross, the GTR is more of a GT car and dominated in those kind of classes but compared to other cars you could use is too long and too heavy, I wouldn't autocross a GTR but something like One Lap of America when you are coming up against other GT type cars it would be great.

I need to stop jumping into GTR chat tho before I start to sound like a mustang guy or something :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

astropika posted:

The issue with California is that direct import vehicles have to pass FTP (federal test procedure) driving cycles, just like a manufacturer does type certifying a vehicle. The testing is several thousand dollars by itself, without considering modifications to bring the vehicle into conformance.
For an R32 GTR it costs something like 12-15k to modify and certify as CARB legal, which completely destroys the value of the car, you could be looking at 40k for an r32 skyline and you can buy much faster cars for 40k

I was quite set on getting an R32 GTR, the performance and buildability is difficult to beat at even the inflated 20-25k you can get a decent one for now, but when I weighed up the hassle and uncertainty of having to register out of state or paying close to 40k for a 25 year old car, even one as cool and evocative, I decided against it and bought a 911 turbo instead.

:mad: That sucks considering there will be a 1973 VW just belching out all sorts of particulates. Would be nice if imported vehicles, as long as factory-stock, would be exempt as well, the amount of them vs. everything else surely wouldn't make a difference.
Added this to the op and sliced my bit out. Thank you!

Got some better pictures back on that old Honda Street. The rust is super minor and I might go for it anyway, it's just too unique and the interior is aces.

:siren: RUST :siren:

EDIT
In crusiing craigslist as I do I am seeing more and more fly-by-night types of importers. Lots of 'GOT A BUNCH OF THEM JAP TRUX IN GOT 4 (all are in poo poo condition) REGISTER THEM URSELF'. The amount of automatics people are trying to sell lets me know that they are jumping the gun on auctions. Tsk tsk.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd/d/1994-toyota-supra-na-five/6238522943.html
This person doesn't know anything beyond 'Supra = $$$' and this is an NA one, RHD, and a 94 so you can't actually drive it on the road. They know this at least and say as much in the add but the stick on vents why. 18k.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 7, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Will these cars ever qualify as classic? Like if you bring over something from the 70's can you register it as an antique or classic? Sorry if you mentioned this already i dont remember.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DogonCrook posted:

Will these cars ever qualify as classic? Like if you bring over something from the 70's can you register it as an antique or classic? Sorry if you mentioned this already i dont remember.

Sure, why not?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Varies state to state but most of them say the year of manufacture so you should be fine.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

It would suck if they were excluded i was just curious if it allowed for that. The california carb registration is weird to me. I guess it makes sense on a car from the 90's but it really doesnt if its from the 80's. Kinda sucks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DogonCrook posted:

I had an E30 registered like this.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DogonCrook posted:

It would suck if they were excluded i was just curious if it allowed for that. The california carb registration is weird to me. I guess it makes sense on a car from the 90's but it really doesnt if its from the 80's. Kinda sucks.

Yeah it does suck.
It does vary from state to state, for instance Florida requires 30 years rather than 25 like most before you can get classic plates. I guess they figure cars last longer here so pushed the requirement up 5 years. Otherwise I couldn't imagine a situation where you legally import a vehicle under the 25 year rule and not qualify for classic registration/plates. The only time I can see that being an issue is if the car is here under false pretenses (registered as a kit car or something) and if that's the case you've already went down that road.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, look at this

I have a mighty need

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Man, look at this

I have a mighty need

RS/Z didn't go on sale till 1994 :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

RS/Z didn't go on sale till 1994 :negative:

I can wait, that's like 18 months. Have you seen any of those for sale?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah a lot of 70's cars with fuel injection only get saved because they can slap a carb on there instead. If thats not an option a lot are going to get junked with an ecu failure. Its a shame this isnt tied to oem part availability.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

I can wait, that's like 18 months. Have you seen any of those for sale?

I've never looked. I cap all my searches at 1992 :v:
I looked real quick and there is one (1) for sale on a lot in Japan at the moment and they want close to $8k USD for it, I assume it's cherry. Factor in the costs for getting it here and you are over that 10k budget I suggested.
Might be one that comes up at auction and a year and some change is a lot of time for stock to cycle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well like I said, I'm patient and won't be actively looking to scratch that itch until April.

Edit: Yes I know april is only 2018, I'm saying I won't even be actively looking for the new fun toy until then.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 7, 2017

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I have no knowledge about cars but this is a rad thread. Kei cars are awesome. I'm very sad that nissan cubes are no longer available, they were the closest thing to a kei in the UK.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

DogonCrook posted:

Pre-75 is exempt from emissions... sort of... they like to gently caress with grey market vehicles 68-75 claiming it has to meet whatever EPA standards existed at the time, I gather they only started doing it in the last decade, I found out because of angry unimog owners.

Originally it was a rolling 25 year exemption, but they decided to freeze it in 1991 because it turns out cars never die in CA.

There is nothing that california likes more than to tighten the screws on people with minority interests which are politically unacceptable :commissar:.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

astropika posted:

Pre-75 is exempt from emissions... sort of

Pre-76. '75 is an exempt year.

Too bad they're loving with imports that would be otherwise exempt, too. I've heard that some people were getting into trouble recently for engine swaps in those years, too, for the same reason, although I don't trust the guy who told me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

The Pulsar GTIR is great and I want one for Autocross
Aren't the gearboxes a frequent failure point one them? Like people say they will break, it's just a question of when?