Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

a take hotter than the surface of the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Corrode posted:

a take hotter than the surface of the sun
That guy got super mad because Rick and Morty has women writers now, so he's railing against The PC Police, or PolCorPol.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Reminds me how Seinfeld's famous "not that there's anything wrong with that" episode has aged pretty poorly. At the time it was funny because it was leaning into the NYC attitude of "ok we're accepting the gay community but give us a minute here," but now it's very much stuck in that time and feels juvenile.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

mind the walrus posted:

Reminds me how Seinfeld's famous "not that there's anything wrong with that" episode has aged pretty poorly. At the time it was funny because it was leaning into the NYC attitude of "ok we're accepting the gay community but give us a minute here," but now it's very much stuck in that time and feels juvenile.

Eh I think it still works actually since weirdness around "i may be accepting of the gay community but im terrified someone might think I'm gay" is still quite common.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've mentioned before that any non-scifi/horror show that did a 'scifi/horror' episode always seemed sort of cringey. It's more a comedy thing, though, but there is/was always this 'let's gawk at the freaks' vibe. It seems like any long-running show ends up with one of these plots, eventually. Hell, I think even Dukes of Hazzard had a UFO episode.

Doing a UFO episode? We've got to have the worst examples of people interested in UFOs as the geekiest, most socially awkward, "I was abducted by an alien prince and am royalty on Serengeti IV" sort of thing.
Doing a ghost story episode? We've got to have Ghostbusters callbacks and have people doing seances with goofy psychics and flashing lights in a room spooky noises.

Maybe it turns out to be real, maybe it turns out to be pranks or mistakes, but even if it is 100% 'real'. no one ever references it again. There's no, "Yeah, I know that girl rejecting you to go to the homecoming dance is a big deal, son, but are we seriously not ever going to bring up the fact that we all had a close encounter with an actual alien ever again? I mean, that's sort of a big deal, too." No, "Yeah, hey, I'm still sort of reeling a bit from meeting the actual devil a few weeks ago and one of us nearly losing our eternal souls, so I don't really care so much about if anyone goes to the big NKOTB concert this week or not."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh I think it still works actually since weirdness around "i may be accepting of the gay community but im terrified someone might think I'm gay" is still quite common.
Reminds me of this bit from Peep Show (around 30 seconds):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mMuczMHpGQ

Best way I've ever seen in media to handle the issue.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAdudFQrUW8&list=PLMGa4vLuCJKynzFySDf0reVzfroSUJirK&index=3

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Dragnet is sort of a funny one because it's fantastic as camp, so in that sense it's aged really well, but it was meant to be taken 100% seriously and played completely straight. It's star, Jack Webb, was a notorious commie hatin', hippie bashin', stiff, conservative square who was actually really like Joe Friday in real life and thought that's how cops and criminals really acted and poo poo.

Much as I adore AITF, I don't think the spinoffs, Maude, The Jeffersons or Good Times have held up too well. They feel kind of forced and too heavily dated.

What about shows that HAVE aged well? I'd say Cheers, AITF, Seinfeld, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett and even Columbo still stand up. Taxi to a certain extent. I still love Columbo and the original Bob Newhart. The Chuck Jones era of WB cartoons too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Frasier holds up pretty well, as making fun of snobs is timeless.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Murder she wrote with that fine rear end Angela Lansbury

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Early Scrubs and select episodes of Community have aged well. Buffy and Angel as wholes aged well-- the 5th Season of Angel particularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0tNqwNpGGQ

Most early Adult Swim shows have aged surprisingly well, albeit the animation looks way stiffer than you remember. Harvey Birdman, Space Ghost, early Venture Bros., and Home Movies are too tied to the period of their airing, but if you grew up with them you don't really mind.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
NO MA'AM from Married with Children got brought up earlier, but I didn't see anyone mention how dated the first episode with them is. Al and his friends get mad because the nudey bar starts hosting a ladies night where unattractive women come out and read poetry, which they blame on a talk show called the Masculine Feminist. where a male host talks about feminist issues. Later I think they break in, hijack the show, and take the host hostage until Marcy comes in and defuses the situation by pointing out how full of poo poo Al's MRA club is.

The thing that confused me for a long time was that for some reason the host was Jerry Springer. I watched the show much later in syndication, and I didn't realize until much later that the reason for that was the episode aired in 1993, and until 1994, this was the Jerry Springer Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIk1_hHC1f4

Jerry Springer's Wikipedia page is seriously worth a look. He's had a very strange career.

It's been awhile since I've seen a lot of Married with Children, but if I remember it right a lot of it still kinda holds up just because so much of it is focused on Al and his lovely worldview being played for laughs. Like when he runs up against Marcy and when he goes to an absurd caricature of the DMV, sometimes lovely things happen to him that are totally outside of his control, but whenever he has any agency at all, even when up against overt strawmen, he's wrong, and he can't win because he's sexist, nationalist, selfish, or just kind of a petty and not very smart person. Like I said it's been awhile, but I like to think it probably holds up. Ed O'Neill was great on it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

the Jerry Springer Show:

Speaking of poo poo that has't aged well. Not that it was never not poo poo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've mentioned before that any non-scifi/horror show that did a 'scifi/horror' episode always seemed sort of cringey. It's more a comedy thing, though, but there is/was always this 'let's gawk at the freaks' vibe. It seems like any long-running show ends up with one of these plots, eventually. Hell, I think even Dukes of Hazzard had a UFO episode.

Doing a UFO episode? We've got to have the worst examples of people interested in UFOs as the geekiest, most socially awkward, "I was abducted by an alien prince and am royalty on Serengeti IV" sort of thing.
Doing a ghost story episode? We've got to have Ghostbusters callbacks and have people doing seances with goofy psychics and flashing lights in a room spooky noises.

Maybe it turns out to be real, maybe it turns out to be pranks or mistakes, but even if it is 100% 'real'. no one ever references it again. There's no, "Yeah, I know that girl rejecting you to go to the homecoming dance is a big deal, son, but are we seriously not ever going to bring up the fact that we all had a close encounter with an actual alien ever again? I mean, that's sort of a big deal, too." No, "Yeah, hey, I'm still sort of reeling a bit from meeting the actual devil a few weeks ago and one of us nearly losing our eternal souls, so I don't really care so much about if anyone goes to the big NKOTB concert this week or not."

Counterpoint: Punky Brewster. That weird two parter where the gang goes on a quest into a cave to fight basically the devil, who dismembers all of punky's friends is downright freaky still. But it was all a bonfire ghost story, so there was no weird ramifications.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Star Trek: The Next Generation had the episode Conspiracy, which was a horror episode that tonally didn't fit with the rest of the series and it was awesome. The threat in that episode was what the Borg was originally going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Vr9LnogLM

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The only time Al ever won was when he showed genuine love for his family or honest pride in his high school accomplishments instead of lovely bravado and I had never noticed that

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BiggerBoat posted:

What about shows that HAVE aged well?

Yes Minister/Yes, Prime Minister is still really good. Police Squad. And if Scrubs is far enough back to be considered then also Farscape and Daria.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

What about shows that HAVE aged well?

Batman the animated series? :v:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think that Kolchak the Night Stalker aged pretty well. It's too bad that it's not on Netflix anymore.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Star Trek: The Next Generation had the episode Conspiracy, which was a horror episode that tonally didn't fit with the rest of the series and it was awesome. The threat in that episode was what the Borg was originally going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Vr9LnogLM

I really regret that this didn't make a comeback somehow, because the idea of a Borg that literally invaded flesh in a Cronenbergian way is a bit more fascinating than the Borg, and a whole hell of a lot gooey.

That way, among many of the syndicated horror shows, one of the most forgotten is War of the Worlds where the gore ratio was really amped up. It was a sequel to the movie that George Pal did but was really creepy much in the same way this episode of TNG was. I can't find any examples on YouTube sadly, but if do some searching you can find the entire run on Amazon for around $30-35. The first season is the best as it was Earthbound and full of the gore that was similar in spirit to the early episodes of Freddy's Nightmares before they toned that way the gently caress back.

Calaveron posted:

The only time Al ever won was when he showed genuine love for his family or honest pride in his high school accomplishments instead of lovely bravado and I had never noticed that

One of the downsides of Married With Children, however, is how the creators really misunderstood the appeal of Al's horrible luck. While they did it because he was a jerk, you could tell that when the show really took off that he was seen as someone a lot of people could relate to which was pretty disturbing when you really examine why. There was an E! True Hollywood Story behind the making of the show and when you see people really cheer the entrance of the characters (especially Al) it's pretty weird to watch all of these people side with Al without really getting that you shouldn't, and that the whole family is rotten as sin. In some ways I think a lot of '80s/'90s TV never really made that clear at the time. The best example, Seinfeld, pretty much came out with the whole 'these people are jerks why didn't you get that' right after the finale came out with a loud wet splat and people started bitching.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I don't really remember what they were about, but The Goodies episodes were they make fun of British celebrities no one ever knows now. And jokes referencing Rolf Harris.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Rick and Morty episode "Raising Gazorpazorp" had half of the plot be about how a civilization of women would HAVE FEELINGS and BE SHOPPING. Real fresh take there.

On a more fun note, in 2016, Bojack Horseman had an episode that was a flashback to 2007, and they made it feel like a period piece.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also, remember that the gang are supposed to be complete scum.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Tom Hanks' alcoholic uncle character on Family Ties hitting Alex was a prime 80s sitcom PSA moment

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Early Scrubs and select episodes of Community have aged well. Buffy and Angel as wholes aged well-- the 5th Season of Angel particularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0tNqwNpGGQ

Most early Adult Swim shows have aged surprisingly well, albeit the animation looks way stiffer than you remember. Harvey Birdman, Space Ghost, early Venture Bros., and Home Movies are too tied to the period of their airing, but if you grew up with them you don't really mind.

Home Movies was a UPN show that Cartoon Network bought after UPN cancelled it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Keith Atherton posted:

Tom Hanks' alcoholic uncle character on Family Ties hitting Alex was a prime 80s sitcom PSA moment

"I'll have some vodka, it will take away the orange juice smell on my breath". That line has stuck with me for over 20 years as one of the worst solutions to a non-problem ever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Yes Minister/Yes, Prime Minister is still really good.

I knew a guy in university who refused to watch them. Why? Because they were Margaret Thatcher's favourites.

One sitcom that I think has aged strangely is Dad's Army, just by virtue of being a sitcom made in the 1960s and 1970s but set in the 1940s. I enjoy it, but I feel like it must surely have lost something with the passage of time, simply because when it was first broadcast, the Second World War was a living memory for most of the audience, and those viewers for whom it wasn't were their children.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

evobatman posted:

"I'll have some vodka, it will take away the orange juice smell on my breath". That line has stuck with me for over 20 years as one of the worst solutions to a non-problem ever.

It's been mentioned before but Alex getting hooked on speed was great too

Alex has a freakout when his parents confront him and starts rummaging around for pills and his Dad is like "Alex! Stop!" and his Mom says "You know how awful you feel right now? Never forget it"

Addiction solved!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

One sitcom that I think has aged strangely is Dad's Army, just by virtue of being a sitcom made in the 1960s and 1970s but set in the 1940s. I enjoy it, but I feel like it must surely have lost something with the passage of time, simply because when it was first broadcast, the Second World War was a living memory for most of the audience, and those viewers for whom it wasn't were their children.

I was just considering mentioning Dad's Army. I don't know much about MASH, but I feel like the focus on period shenanigans instead of being a contemporary show in a different time has helped it age. There are things that have lost their punch or just can't register to most viewers, like the episode where Godfrey is revealed to have been a conscientious objector in WWI (His actor was seriously wounded at the Battle of the Somme, to boot), plus the occasional bout of racism and sexism.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

That guy got super mad because Rick and Morty has women writers now, so he's railing against The PC Police, or PolCorPol.

IntersectionalPol

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kavak posted:

I was just considering mentioning Dad's Army. I don't know much about MASH, but I feel like the focus on period shenanigans instead of being a contemporary show in a different time has helped it age. There are things that have lost their punch or just can't register to most viewers, like the episode where Godfrey is revealed to have been a conscientious objector in WWI (His actor was seriously wounded at the Battle of the Somme, to boot), plus the occasional bout of racism and sexism.

You weren't kidding, gently caress:

Wikipedia posted:

He saw active service in the war, sustaining several serious injuries: his left hand was left virtually useless by injuries sustained on the Somme; his legs were riddled with shrapnel; he was bayonetted in the groin; and the legacy of a blow to the head by a German soldier's rifle butt left him prone to blackouts.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Other 70's crap, like Happy Days and Three's Company are just cringe worthy though. In the case of "The Fonz", here you have a misogynist, uneducated high school drop out who bullies "nerds" and is afraid of being called "chicken" or backing down from any dare who is somehow the coolest role model hero ever.

It's weird, because I feel like you're basically right about Happy Days, but a few months ago I got a wild hair up my rear end to binge-watch some Laverne & Shirley, which is a Happy Days spin-off (even featuring a few early rating-grab guest appearances by the Fonz, who is not quite the douche you described above), and it's a really dang enjoyable show, especially once it finds its footing (but I feel like the first few episodes of any sitcom aren't ever going to be their best).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah! Real Monsters is totally unwatchable nowadays in a way I don't really understand. Usually I can look back on kids shows from when I was a kid and see why I would have liked them but there's literally no humor in it. I watched like 6 episodes with a roommate years back who also had fond memories of it and we were just baffled by what we could have gotten out of it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Schubalts posted:

Speaking of stop-motion, does anybody else remember The Magic Roundabout? I saw the British version when I was growing up and I can't bring myself to rewatch some of it and kill the nostalgia.

If your memories of it involve it being drug fuelled insanity then congrats it still holds up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

The Rick and Morty episode "Raising Gazorpazorp" had half of the plot be about how a civilization of women would HAVE FEELINGS and BE SHOPPING. Real fresh take there.
Yeah I remember watching it back in like 2013 or whenever the hell it was and thinking "jesus how long has this script been kicking around?" The B-Plot had some nice bits--the part where Morty's parents are extremely passive-aggressive about Morty's parenting choices was great.

quote:

On a more fun note, in 2016, Bojack Horseman had an episode that was a flashback to 2007, and they made it feel like a period piece.
Arrow managed to do the same thing in an episode in 2015 where they flashed back to 2010, mostly through wigs. Arrow's constant flashbacks has gave them amazing Wig-Game.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The best example, Seinfeld, pretty much came out with the whole 'these people are jerks why didn't you get that' right after the finale came out with a loud wet splat and people started bitching.
IIRC the bitching was more because the final episode was a literal cameo parade full of catchphrases. Great concept; flat execution.
Daria is still good but early episodes have this weird half-beat thing like they're in a sitcom without a laugh track, especially after Daria says anything. You also really have to watch Daria with all the specific late-90s MTV music choices that got taken out for rerelease--much like The Wonder Years and Northern Exposure--because it really contextualizes things.

I want to know what someone who didn't grow up with late-90s Teen Shows thinks of Clone High. There's a lot of surrealist humor that I think still works, but I remember a big reason the show was popular with me and my friends was that it took brilliant little potshots at Dawson's Creek/Felicity/Party of Five tropes--the kind you'd see later in Lord and Miller's work like 21 Jump Street, The LEGO Movie, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ah! Real Monsters is totally unwatchable nowadays in a way I don't really understand. Usually I can look back on kids shows from when I was a kid and see why I would have liked them but there's literally no humor in it. I watched like 6 episodes with a roommate years back who also had fond memories of it and we were just baffled by what we could have gotten out of it
A really novel approach to character design (Krumb alone is loving brilliant animation), and an interesting "magical/monstrous school" angle years before Harry Potter or Monsters Inc. Plus Tim Curry as the Grimble:

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 12:25 on Aug 8, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ahhh Real Monsters was one of the better takes on gross-out humour the 90s was big on, but there's not a whole hell of a lot else to it.

The parallel society of monsters had its interesting moments, though they didn't do a lot with that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I remember watching it back in like 2013 or whenever the hell it was and thinking "jesus how long has this script been kicking around?" The B-Plot had some nice bits--the part where Morty's parents are extremely passive-aggressive about Morty's parenting choices was great.

the whole thing is based around extreme/outdated gender stereotypes so I don't really see a problem with it personally, the males are just bloodthirsty idiots that gently caress female robots the women shoot down to the planet etc. I mean it's probably the cloest thing to a 90s Futurama episode R&M have released but they're at least trying to make fun of the trope it's not like its the snoo snoo episode

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

Ahhh Real Monsters was one of the better takes on gross-out humour the 90s was big on, but there's not a whole hell of a lot else to it.

Re: gross-out humour, I wonder how Ren and Stimpy holds up? I haven't seen it in years and years.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: gross-out humour, I wonder how Ren and Stimpy holds up? I haven't seen it in years and years.

Pretty good and honestly somehow more disturbing than it was for me as a kid. The nick episodes I mean and not whatever the hell the Spike TV poo poo was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCa7tKiCMN4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Keith Atherton posted:

It's been mentioned before but Alex getting hooked on speed was great too

Alex has a freakout when his parents confront him and starts rummaging around for pills and his Dad is like "Alex! Stop!" and his Mom says "You know how awful you feel right now? Never forget it"

Addiction solved!

There was a Waltons episode where Mary Ellen got hooked on Depression-era speed to pass her nursing finals. So broadcast TV had at least a good decade of actors-taking-meth storylines. It's not as pervasive as circa-1980's-Christmas-Carol episodes, but it's not far off.