Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
kinda unsurprised that Grimoire's character portraits are 'beastperson', 'fantasy skintone', 'white person'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

team fortress still lookin good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Infinity Gaia posted:

The only thing I hate about Tangledeep is how bad the Gambler class is, whatever it's called. I love gambling-type classes in games, but it's just a real bad class on its own. Either that or I missed some SECRET TRICK to it that makes it not awful. Instead I ended up falling in love with the wuxia-based class. I love its weird gimmick of movement attacks.

Yeah, that class needs work. I believe the skill Double Down is overpowered at the moment, but it definitely needs attention - and if I remember vague comments from the discord, zircon is working on that, along with everything else. So it should be good eventually!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

He's appreciating the effort, but even that guy acknowledges it's got problems:
https://twitter.com/felipepepe/status/894396419619999744

27 years of work. Completely unpolished. Guy would really make the Führer proud.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I decided to play Quiet City, the extra game added to the latest Humble Bundle Monthly, but I finished it faster than I downloaded it. There's really not much to it except for some weird philosophical observation at the end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BirdOfPlay posted:

Hopefully, that isn't the case, because he stil hasn't written the drat manual! Also, resolution issues are because those resolutions "did not exist a few years ago." Because, when I write I game over the course of decades, I know I put a checkmark on "tested resolutions" 5 years before release.

Like, seriously, this dude is slobbering all over his own knob for halfassedly releasing a broken game 4 days late and sometimes fixing a bug. Hinterland released four updates in the first four days that The Long Dark went live!

By the way, is there a thread for specifically for making GBS threads on this game? Bonus points if its a gathering place for "politically motivated activists...body surfing the edge of [a tsunami]."

It'd probably work at my bar trivia, but only as a tiebreaker, which follows Price Is Right rules.

Four days late

Lol

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ZearothK posted:

27 years of work. Completely unpolished. Guy would really make the Führer proud.

The Führer would have had better art direction.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

:woop: It worked, it worked!

Dungeonmans is great and I hope you continue to have fun with it! :D

Yup, the intended goal is to have it at 1.0 by December and so far he seems on track for that! Also, yes: Tangledeep is excellent and if you love Dungeonmans you are very likely to love this too. It's a good time to be into roguelikes!

I tried DoomRL after the roguelike post and bounced off it hard, but I added Tangledeep and ToME to my wish list. I also want to get back into Crawl. I lost wizard to a bone headed mistake in the midst of a ~20 hour run in that about five years ago and have only recently recovered from that.

I think seeing Tangledeep and then your roguelike post rekindled my roguelike interest. You timed it poorly with me being nearly done with Baldur's Gate. I need to finish that before falling down a roguelike hole for awhile. :P

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Nongunz is something else. It's a bit like EYE, but without any text whatsover. The mechanics really shine once you figure out how to actually play the game.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
markgreyam just supplied me with WORLD END ECONOMICA and NEKOPARA so thanks for the keynesian catmaids

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bundle stars summer sale is live.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Oh nice! A Story About my Uncle is .49 cents USD, which is a stupidly low price for a great game.

Also:
Sir you are being hunted is quite good - 1 buck

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Yep, up now. Trails in the Sky FC, SC, and 3rd can now be played in Beta/DX9 mode with toggable turbo modes for field movement and battles. :flashfact:

If battle speed was an issue for anyone in these games please give this mode a try!!

Quoting this from the RPG thread because I know I've seen complaints about how slow the Trails games are here a whole bunch.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I 100%ed Hollow Knight and now I'm craving more ~metroidvania good stuff~

I've got Environmental Station Alpha but I'm pretty turned off by the lo-fi graphics and controls, they give me a headache. Ori is intriguing, but I've heard it's more of a metroidvania in name only and is pretty linear? Help me steam thread?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Fuligin posted:

I've got Environmental Station Alpha but I'm pretty turned off by the lo-fi graphics and controls, they give me a headache. Ori is intriguing, but I've heard it's more of a metroidvania in name only and is pretty linear? Help me steam thread?

Dead Cells :)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Fuligin posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/Momodora_Reverie_Under_The_Moonlight/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/332200/Axiom_Verge/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275390/Guacamelee_Super_Turbo_Championship_Edition/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/236090/Dust_An_Elysian_Tail/

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fuligin posted:

Ori is very linear with some decently fun backtracking elements. It's a game that's really driven by its movement abilities and the areas are built to make you really use them. But the combat is almost a complete non-factor and there isn't really very much 'exploration', other than the new side area they added in Definitive the game just straight up tells you where to go next every step of the way.

It's an awesome game that feels super satisfying to get around in, but it's not very similar to Hollow Knight on the spectrum of the genre.

You might like Momodora (which is similar to HK in a lot of ways), but it's ultra super short so I didn't find it real satisfying personally.

Guacamelee is pretty combat focused and pretty linear progression too, backtracking is fairly lame but the game has fun movement and gets pretty challenging by the end.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

I tried DoomRL after the roguelike post and bounced off it hard, but I added Tangledeep and ToME to my wish list. I also want to get back into Crawl. I lost wizard to a bone headed mistake in the midst of a ~20 hour run in that about five years ago and have only recently recovered from that.

I think seeing Tangledeep and then your roguelike post rekindled my roguelike interest. You timed it poorly with me being nearly done with Baldur's Gate. I need to finish that before falling down a roguelike hole for awhile. :P

Actually, you can get ToME for free! It's got everything aside from the DLCs and a bonus class (Possessor) you get for being a donator. Try it out, you've got no excuse and it's a great game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Fuligin posted:

The only other game that rivals Hollow Knight is actually ESA, with the latter being peak metroidvania in my estimate.

Ori is cool and worth checking out, but doesn't have that sense of exploration the above two games offer.

Anyone recommending Axiom Verge as a good metroidvania should just leave their metroidvania credentials at the door. The game has a promising start and then falls apart halfway through.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Danakir posted:

Actually, you can get ToME for free! It's got everything aside from the DLCs and a bonus class (Possessor) you get for being a donator. Try it out, you've got no excuse and it's a great game.

I tried downloading ToME on Saturday from their website but the downloader gives me an error every attempt. It's quite frustratung. Next time I sit down to play a game I'll try it again.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
valdis story: abyssal city is very similar to hollow knight, enough to make me wonder if there was any crossover in the dev teams. it has a brawler type combat system with a ton of attack combos for each of the four playable characters

it has good boss fights and exploration, but it's less well regarded i think because it can be a bit tedious to get around/clear out mooks. some of the end game fights are real tricky though

e; i should say im also on the environmental station alpha bandwagon. that's nearly the perfect metroidvania by my standards

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rain World isn't really a metroidvania because you don't get new powers but if what you like is exploring big and interesting 2d worlds it's all about that.

Rabi-Ribi is the highest rated metroidvania on steam. The character designs are not great and 100% of the writing is trash but the game part is genuinely stellar, and it's huge so there's a lot of that.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

Please update OP.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

HGH posted:

Quoting this from the RPG thread because I know I've seen complaints about how slow the Trails games are here a whole bunch.
k. How?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
trails is the slowest jrpg and its boring and there is sibling love I don't get why goons like it so much because its peak anime

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's been a long time since I hated a game as much as Rain World.

And terrible cutscenes artwork aside, Dust: An Elysian Tale is a good Metroidvania with great combat.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Goons love anime

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Does ESA's story or setting get any more interesting? I've only played the first half hour or so but it was just generating very bland vibes to me. If there's a promise of it going new places that would help a lot. I'm also thinking of just finally playing through Cave Story since I realize I bought it in a sale ages ago.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Rain World is getting adjustable difficulty...eventually

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

It's in the old school configuration menu:

You set both the button and the speed(up to 6x).

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Does ESA's story or setting get any more interesting? I've only played the first half hour or so but it was just generating very bland vibes to me. If there's a promise of it going new places that would help a lot. I'm also thinking of just finally playing through Cave Story since I realize I bought it in a sale ages ago.

yes, very much so

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Cave Story + is worth a playthrough. Rabi-Ribi has stellar gameplay and loads of content/difficulty options if you're the multiple runs type of person.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Following up on my new-found obsession with Rome Total War, I am now buying a new iPad Pro to play it on my upcoming vacation.

I'll also snag some stuff like Baldurs Gate/BG2/Icewind Dale, FTL, maybe some other stuff. Are there any other classic PC games that got ported to iPad I should look out for?

E: I know this is the steam thread, I'll probably ask in the iOS games thread too

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Fuligin posted:

It definitely goes places.

Nongunz is so intense I have to take breaks because my hands hurt from all the acrobatics. Play Nongunz!

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 7, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

there is no reason to ever play cave story + on pc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HGH posted:

It's in the old school configuration menu:

You set both the button and the speed(up to 6x).

Also when you start the game pick 9x beta.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

corn in the bible posted:

there is no reason to ever play cave story + on pc

Please elaborate

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why not just play the original cave story

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Higher resolution graphics? Redone music? Difficulty modes? Multiple save files? Play as Curly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The real reason is the Steam cheevos, of course