Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Truth.

Here's a Frank picture from a few years ago to break up the word wall we've built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ice cream trip.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm hesitant to give Frank ice cream because he has murder farts after.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Free feeding is not a great idea because they can overeat and it doesn't send the right message about your role.

And according to my vet a dog being underweight is preferable to overweight. Being underweight is something their built to thrive on in the 'wild' supposedly.

My vet said it's fine, it just purely depends on the dog. My dog hardly ever actually finishes all the food in the bowl. Definitely a case-by-case thing

I suppose it also helps I actually exercise my dog and keep him healthy and fit etc 🤷🏽‍♀️

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Every dog's different; some are legit picky eaters, others are nature's garbage disposals. Bella will eat just about anything, but she's super picky about texture; if the food is mushy, she won't touch it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Malachi tried to eat a towel i was using to dry him off the other day. I think it's clear which side of the spectrum he's on.

Speaking of, I should probably post more pics but I'm tired and don't feel like loving with imgur on my phone, nor do I know of a faster and easier way to upload pics. So you guys will have to wait until I wake up.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Xinder posted:

Speaking of, I should probably post more pics but I'm tired and don't feel like loving with imgur on my phone, nor do I know of a faster and easier way to upload pics. So you guys will have to wait until I wake up.
The best things in life are worth waiting for.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I'm no fan of the zero-grain diets though. Dogs need carbs too.
low grain good, no grain bad. It's just a cheap filler, so lovely brands put too much of it in their food.

Free feeding is not a great idea because they can overeat and it doesn't send the right message about your role.
Overeating is 100% down to breed personality. "The right message" is hilarious, i've never in my life needed food to enforce roles.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 7, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I free-feed (Merrick) my dog, and still constantly worry about his weight being low. He's all bony.

He also won't eat when he's alone. I'll fill his bowl before I leave in the morning for work, and he wont touch it till I get home again. Even then, he won't finish what's there, just till he's sated.

And he likes to steal my beanbag when I'm not looking:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

oh. my god.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Our remaining dog, Vivi, has had a difficult transition eating since the passing of her much older sister. Previously, at breakfast and dinner times, she'd attack her bowl of food with vigor, while her older sister would casually consume her own meal. Now that she has no 'competition' for breakfast, she often times just looks at her fresh bowl of food, looks at my wife or I, and kind of just hangs out. Sometimes she decides to take a bite or two slowly, winds up dropping half her mouthful on the floor, and then just heads back into the living room to relax. Multiple times a day we coax her back into the kitchen and encourage her to finish her meal. Sometimes she will, sometimes she won't. It breaks our hearts a little every day.

STOP SMIRKING AND JUST GET NOURISHED YOU DUMB DIPSHIT :cry:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

You're gonna share that lasagna, right?

Right?

No, it's okay. I don't want it anyway.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
"That's a shame, we've run out of pictures."

https://twitter.com/ChrisGSGray/status/894575728238485508

He's pissy about it, but surfing dogs and we all win.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 7, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

low grain good, no grain bad. It's just a cheap filler, so lovely brands put too much of it in their food.

Overeating is 100% down to breed personality. "The right message" is hilarious, i've never in my life needed food to enforce roles.

I mean I guess it depends on the breed. But free feeding can allow them to become food aggressive and generally if you own a dog with the ability or propensity to inflict harm on human beings you want to make sure they know they rely on you to eat.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Frank is only food aggressive when it comes to his bowl and other dogs. He rarely gives the cats grief for poaching a piece from time to time.

I carry treats at the dog park but only for Frank unless the dog's owner says it's cool. Even then, it's just small training treats. Just having a few in my pocket is enough to keep Frank from running off and ignoring me until I yell in a deep tone. But every dog in the park that walks within five feet of me knows I have munchies, so that can lead to some interesting meetings.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Pups nose is insane. People always bring like a loving picnic lunch to the beach while they eat pizza and KFC then get annoyed when dogs won't leave them alone

He zones in on anyone and everyone that has a stash of treats. I've tried to bring them with me to reinforce training but then it's all he cares about. He's not food aggressive which is amazing and truly a blessing. I don't think I've ever seen him snap at another dog yet. His demeanor is really great and I always receive compliments on how well behaved he is.

Icarus on the other hand? Forget about it. He had some very subtle behavioral issues that would surface. If it was his dog food he couldn't care less, but if someone dropped a taco and he got to it first...the only way I could give him his flea medicine was by trying to bait him and take it away so he'd aggressively snatch and eat it. I tried literally everything else. He just wouldn't have it. Hid it in all varieties of foods and good eats and he'd still manage to separate and spit it out. He also wouldn't touch his food or water if I wasn't home. He'd wait all day for me. I think this was mostly due to stress though? Vet said it was fine.

In the next week or two I'm actually gonna get going with some puppy classes working towards a K9 good citizen. Met a gal that worked at the children's hospital and told me all about making him a better petter (for lack of a more appropriately term) she said he's pretty much ready to pass the K9 good citizen. That said, definitely still work to be done, and outside of a controlled environment is a whole new word of course. Suffice it to say there's a volunteer organization I'll be applying to so I can take him around to brighten people's day

I'm still not sure on the feeding role angle the other poster mentioned. Is that some pack leader theory bullshit? my dog knows I got the goods, he's not really oblivious to that 🤷🏽‍♀️

Sorry wall of text here:

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 7, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I'm still not sure on the feeding role angle the other poster mentioned. Is that some pack leader theory bullshit? my dog knows I got the goods, he's not really oblivious to that 🤷🏽‍♀️
I don't agree that your dog needs to associate you with sustenance to be well behaved is all. Our latest dog was a bit food agressive (along with a host of other issues because it's an older rescue) but never unpredictable about it, so we just worked on it until I, then our kid could snatch her favorite slow-eating treat away from her with no complaints.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When Monty was a puppy I would take his bowl for a few seconds every now and then for a few seconds when he was eating. And also while he was eating I would play with his ears every now and then, or tug his tail. Basically anything a child might do without knowing better I got him used to. I did the same with bones.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Speaking of food, today was Major's 7 year adoption anniversary so he got cake and steak. Tomorrow he needs to go to the vet for a booster but then we're going hiking.

I also commissioned his portrait because I decided anyone who thinks it's weird that I have a giant dog portrait in my house isn't anyone who needs to be there. The artist was raising money for some medical stuff so I was happy to give her money in exchange for her telling me how handsome my dog is.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TBeats posted:

When Monty was a puppy I would take his bowl for a few seconds every now and then for a few seconds when he was eating. And also while he was eating I would play with his ears every now and then, or tug his tail. Basically anything a child might do without knowing better I got him used to. I did the same with bones.
Yeah same. She was very particular about what kind of treat she'd defend, but we got through them. She's very dual-personality, shying away from almost everything, but after our first kid was born, she'd never let the kids out of her sight when a stranger was in, and she'd make trouble if she couldn't stay between them and people she doesn't know yet. I'm gonna be real sad when she goes.

This is so great.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't agree that your dog needs to associate you with sustenance to be well behaved is all. Our latest dog was a bit food agressive (along with a host of other issues because it's an older rescue) but never unpredictable about it, so we just worked on it until I, then our kid could snatch her favorite slow-eating treat away from her with no complaints.

:shrug: I have a couple crazy dogs and I've rescued a dog with aggression problems in the past. I'm repeating what a dog behaviorist told me, but I guess Cesar Milan is technically one as well so...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When it comes to trainers and their techniques, I like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0trxjzq5aV4

For what I've trained Frank, I've mostly fallen back on her channel. It's grown substantially since then.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

TBeats posted:

Never have that problem if your pupper eats a whole bowl of food in 5 seconds.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's where those ridged and maze food dishes come in.

If your dog is an rear end in a top hat with the water bowl, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK9e7qRwTT4

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 8, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Better wash that daily, looks like a cesspool waiting to happen.

I saw that dumb water bottle that has a funnel at the top. You squeeze it get water to come up so your dog can get to it, letting the rest of the nasty go right back into the bottle. No thanks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's a wash regularly type of thing. I got one a while back for the cats. It doesn't get nasty or anything and it's survived the dishwasher top rack. The only way any dirt or poo poo could get in is through the funnel or a small vent hole under the cap.

You need to wash water and food bowls regularly anyhow. This is more for dogs that like to turn the water dish into a water park.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I would actually buy this. Fuuuck.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:shrug: I have a couple crazy dogs and I've rescued a dog with aggression problems in the past. I'm repeating what a dog behaviorist told me, but I guess Cesar Milan is technically one as well so...
Hey if it's worked for your pup and it's happy, who gives a poo poo.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Malachi quirk: he gets comfy while lying down by stretching his back paws out behind him like a corgi.

Never seen a lab do this before.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lots of dogges do that

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's called a "sploot!"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ah yes, the "frog dog" I think it's mostly reserved for small dogs, just a guess

not wanting to leave the park today after getting filthy

Huge box of toys and he digs this out of the garden (again) 🙄

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i met a dogge today who was very growly at me, A New Person, but somehow managed to be okay with me giving ear scratches 30 seconds later. ok, guy

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
ear scratches are very good

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Everyone offers their hand for a dog to sniff before they molest them with pets and scratches, right?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Jehde posted:

Everyone offers their hand for a dog to sniff before they molest them with pets and scratches, right?
:siren: This is important. :siren:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Jehde posted:

Yeah.

Also ask for permission before offering your hand.

I wish more people would teach that to their kids.

And don't offer your hand from the top. Approach from the front at their level.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

TBeats posted:

Also ask for permission before offering your hand.

I admittedly usually skip this step and go straight to offering the hand. I really should ask but most times I don't care and just wanna pet that dog ASAP. If the dog doesn't respond favourably to my hand I just won't gently caress around though and let them be. I also assume any working dog is on duty and won't approach them unless I'm specifically told I can. Still not exactly trivial to fight the urge to pet.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Jehde posted:

I admittedly usually skip this step and go straight to offering the hand. I really should ask but most times I don't care and just wanna pet that dog ASAP. If the dog doesn't respond favourably to my hand I just won't gently caress around though and let them be. I also assume any working dog is on duty and won't approach them unless I'm specifically told I can. Still not exactly trivial to fight the urge to pet.

yeah, same. but i also rarely try to pet unless the dog is already approaching me and seems friendly.

i feel too bad about bothering people by asking if i can pet their dog most of the time.