Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I kind of want to generate a giant lost city and then fling that dungeon underneath it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Age of Engineering status:

tremble in awe at the depths of my mastery of rocket science

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Counterpoint: Galacticraft ExtraPlanets literally generates planets that have the same terrain to the point where I found the same village over top the same dungeon layout twice and another dungeon layout entrance twice. Mildly disappointed by that effort but then the questline in PO2 boils down to "build Tier X rocket" 9 times at the end.

The only things left are Botania's stuff (because I've done it before, I guess?), Avaritia's somewhat ridiculous requirements that I've got the groundwork going for it (singularity generation is going to need a lot more neutronium generators than the ~80 I've got so far) and whatever's in the Nu portion that's still locked.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I am playing Craft of the Titans with a couple friends and they can't open the generating power quest tab anymore, is there a requirement for that now or is something wrong? I assume I can because I'm admin on the server.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
IIRC the latest update gated some of the chapters behind quests in other chapters. Not sure exactly what the requirements are, though, sorry.

edit: According to release notes for version 1.2, "Reformatted the Ars Magicka Titans quest line. There are Titan fights located at the bottom of the first four quest tabs, and they must be beaten to unlock certain other quest tabs. This was done to encourage players to fight the Titans while they still posed at least a small challenge."

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 3, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Depends posted:

I am playing Craft of the Titans with a couple friends and they can't open the generating power quest tab anymore, is there a requirement for that now or is something wrong? I assume I can because I'm admin on the server.

I am thinking of something I noticed with the newer HQM. It looks like it will actually copy the quests over into the save and not just rely on the ones in the HQM config. I was thinking that it is freezing the quest book to what the user had when they started. I am far from certain of this yet.

I am curious if you are the same team and/or if you all started the quest book at different times.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am thinking of something I noticed with the newer HQM. It looks like it will actually copy the quests over into the save and not just rely on the ones in the HQM config. I was thinking that it is freezing the quest book to what the user had when they started. I am far from certain of this yet.

I am curious if you are the same team and/or if you all started the quest book at different times.

COTT uses Better Questing, not HQM.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

It means it's not actually a mod, it's more like a map editor (albeit an automatic one). You save and close your world, then run an external program and point it at your world's save file. It picks a nice emptyish spot and generates a dungeon there. It can generate multiple at once, and you can enter variables like how far from spawn, what sort of spread, what blocks to avoid building through, how many levels/how big (or what range), etc. It also reads from saved .cfg files for loot, which can be customized. When it's done, you close that program and re-enter your world, which now has the dungeon(s) in it. Dungeons can only generate in areas you've already generated though, so it's best to roam around a little and have the world load those areas in for the first time to create them; if you haven't moved from spawn your world as it's generated is going to be very small and you won't have much space for dungeons to generate into..
Integrated into worldgen would just mean you install a mod and you run into it during normal play, like you do with most things.

That actually doesnt sound too bad. And looking at those screenshots i may find it and give it a whirl.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

What are the good current Kitchen Sink and Challenge packs?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Krataar posted:

What are the good current Kitchen Sink and Challenge packs?

for challenge:

* Age of Engineering is a 1.10 modpack that greatly resembles Infinity Evolved in that it has a strict tech progression path. Warning: Lots of industrial craft, and bees are required to finish the pack. No quest book, but the tech is separated into fourteen "ages" and there's a small guidebook with the pack.

* Forever Stranded is a pseudo-skyblock that has you on an endless desert. There's heat, thirst, and reduced starting health. Has a small questbook, but the author lacks basic English ability and there's lots of typos and other stuff.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

frenzy posted:

GRIMDARK is a reponse to getting bored with the current lineup of FTB packs, they're really not pushing any boundaries or doing anything new. They also won't include too many mods, especially not ones that add *gasp* entities!!!1. I can only assume this is a desire not to upset the fragile ecosystem of lovely re-sold Minecraft server hosting plans, so you end up not getting exposure to all that's available. It includes everything in those packs and more, so it's also possibly the most up to date collection of available 1.10.2 mods, 280 of them. There's recipe changes made to showcase the different mods, which I'm expanding to put it somewhere between normal and "expert mode" difficulty.

The pack actively encourages you to gain resources through exploration, combat, and automation but that doesn't mean you can't stripmine if you find it relaxing. I thought that after 8 years of mining some people might want an alternative that isn't a skyblock.

There any way you can update this pack to the latest on Technic? It's the only launcher I can get to work on my pc. Great pack btw!

PS: the 1.10 version is the one I'm using

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 4, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I just dled GRIMDARKER, is there anything there that is causing the block lag?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
...there I was speaking of Galactic Science's interesting premise and now I find out there's Galactic Science 2 and it is.. different.

You start out in a moon pyramid with an ME system, Draconic battery, auto-sieve, and turret bases placed outside the pyramid as well as rooms to build your stuff in.

Also I spawned with a space-Creeper standing in the power storage area so I decided to take that as 'Don't come in here and touch this stuff for a while.'

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm getting deeper into Pickle Pack Magical 3 and more of the recipes are looking pretty expensive... but I have some access to magical crops, so it shouldn't be too bad once I start working on production instead of going through the more easily accessible quests. Oddly, MFR Harvesters are quite pricey (they require Accio tools to make) but Harvest Core golems are unchanged. I wonder if I need the Harvester for something specific, or if the modpack is just encouraging me to use magical solutions. I guess in the long run, Harvesters will be able to handle much larger farms, and are easier to set up, and have no chance of falling through the floor or something.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

McFrugal posted:

I'm getting deeper into Pickle Pack Magical 3 and more of the recipes are looking pretty expensive... but I have some access to magical crops, so it shouldn't be too bad once I start working on production instead of going through the more easily accessible quests. Oddly, MFR Harvesters are quite pricey (they require Accio tools to make) but Harvest Core golems are unchanged. I wonder if I need the Harvester for something specific, or if the modpack is just encouraging me to use magical solutions. I guess in the long run, Harvesters will be able to handle much larger farms, and are easier to set up, and have no chance of falling through the floor or something.

Thaumcraft Golems falling through floors hasn't been an issue since Minecraft 1.7.10 (last time I saw this issue was Minecraft 1.6.4), but if you're worried are are seeing the issue, I believe having a double thick floor was the work-around.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
I'm currently playing the Foolcraft pack. Lots of fun with many ways to quickly become overpowered. Can't beat having an unbreakable Tinker's pickaxe within half an hour of starting!

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Technic question: Is there an easy way to add a mod to an existing modpack? I just want to add in mekfarm to my grimdark installation

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Feral Integral posted:

Technic question: Is there an easy way to add a mod to an existing modpack? I just want to add in mekfarm to my grimdark installation

Find where ever the modpack folder is, then put the mod you want in the contained mods folder

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Taffer posted:

Find where ever the modpack folder is, then put the mod you want in the contained mods folder

Yeah tried that, game launcher crashes on the loading mods portion that is a part of that loading when you start a mod through the launcher

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 5, 2017

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Feral Integral posted:

Yeah tried that, game launcher crashes on the loading mods portion that is a part of that loading when you start a mod through the launcher

Check the crashlog. It should tell you what's wrong. Make sure it's for the version of Minecraft you're using and that you have Forge version high enough.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I added Spice of Life into my BFSR science project and ran out of texture memory apparently:

code:
net.minecraft.client.renderer.StitcherException: Unable to fit: missingno - size: 16x16 - Maybe try a lowerresolution resourcepack?
It'll just pick a different block each time to get mad about. My video card has 8GB of ram so this is rather alarming. Are there some knobs I need to set for a pack launching off of Twitch?

Further disclosure: I was seeing if there was something I could do for a tutorial food chapter where I could turn the food mechanics on only after they have moved past an explicit point in the quests. It's mostly just to introduce people to the whole concept since it shows up in many survival packs these days. As it stands, it doesn't look like there's a regular way to do it, but it looks like the dev is responsive so I'll see.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i spent a while on AoE loving around with my diesel generators so i could centralise my power grid

now i'm finding out about IC2 fluid reactors :q:

glad i need an actual degree in nuclear engineering to make full use of one!!!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i spent a while on AoE loving around with my diesel generators so i could centralise my power grid

now i'm finding out about IC2 fluid reactors :q:

glad i need an actual degree in nuclear engineering to make full use of one!!!

on the plus side they probably* won't explode

* don't try to break the multiblock, mess with it, then reassemble the multiblock while there's components in the reactor it will explode

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

speaking of age of engineering, i'm in the second-to-last age and messing with mekanism, which is a mod i've never used before

i made this thing:

this ethylene is now powering everything I have that's EU related, thank you advanced generators for outputting EU so i never have to deal with reactors again

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am playing the mod pack with the crashed space shuttle through the twitch launcher thing, why do the automatic doors lag the game so bad? Is there a way to fix that? I already kicked up the memory usage.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
In Craft of the Titans, bloodmoons worked fine on my server for a couple days but now everything turns red but only normal spawns happen. Anyone have any idea what would have caused that?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Further disclosure: I was seeing if there was something I could do for a tutorial food chapter where I could turn the food mechanics on only after they have moved past an explicit point in the quests. It's mostly just to introduce people to the whole concept since it shows up in many survival packs these days. As it stands, it doesn't look like there's a regular way to do it, but it looks like the dev is responsive so I'll see.

Many hunger-including packs have late-game, hard-to-craft, or otherwise uncraftable bonus foods that ignore nutrition limitations (e.g., I think you can do it in Spice of Life by making a custom food group json file with zero diminishing returns and maybe a nerfed eating-time or something so they're not too attractive). Starting a new player off with something like a quarter-stack of them (or if possible as an early limited-repetition quest reward?) may give newbies enough of a break to find and grow at least a couple of eating options.

Alternatively maybe you can find an auto-feeding bauble or item to start them with and then make them turn it in to begin your normal food rules. Not sure how limited your options are for BFSR.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Trying to play BFSR but the Technic launcher is doing strange things.

As soon as it hits the 'installing minecraft assets' is just stops loading the mod pack.

Im using the latest 64 bit (1.8.0_111 64) minecraft java version.

Ive reinstalled vanilla minecraft, nothing seems to work.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao @ needing iridium loving ore to make a liquid heat exchanger in age of engineering

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

lmao @ needing iridium loving ore to make a liquid heat exchanger in age of engineering

hope you spent your first four on a molecular transformer :grin:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I have a fear of falling, which sometimes translates into video games. Are there any skyblock-like modpacks out there that put you on an infinite plane of bedrock or something?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

project ozone has a nothing-but-snow map; it does also include the odd crashed meteor though

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
I'm starting to like Forever Stranded, its turned me into some sort of ghoulish mad scientist.
The nightly zombie horde is funneled into a central location to be killed, then the flesh is made into dirt or boiled into nutrient fluid to run a bank of zombie generators.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It'll just pick a different block each time to get mad about. My video card has 8GB of ram so this is rather alarming. Are there some knobs I need to set for a pack launching off of Twitch?
There's the usual ability to set memory and Jvm arguments in the Twitch launcher too but first - you did turn mipmaps off right?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Can someone in here recommend a questing pack with Advanced Rocketry?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toadsmash posted:

Can someone in here recommend a questing pack with Advanced Rocketry?

Forever Stranded has Advanced Rocketry but not in any capacity that will teach you how to use it, if that's what you're after. It's also literally the end of the game.

It has you build a few of the most basic machines used in rocket-building and then says 'And now go to another planet.'

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I would be super down with a modpack built around a space mod, but with custom ruined structure generation for every planet. You gotta get to the next planet not because it has slightly different colored terrain with slightly different ore, this planet has dome bases with monsters and loot you need. That other planet generates large caves with bases within. That almost entirely water planet has artificial spires you must climb to get the loot at the top. Said loot isn't simply in chests, but part of the bases you have to strip down for resources. Explore an abandoned space station to loot the reactor parts for your own.

Breathe some life into these various locations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Off to a good start, Age of Engineering. 'Make an IC2 Blast Furnace to get slag so you can make an Immersive Engineering Blast Furnace.'

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in fairness you want that slaaaag later - you can thermally centrifuge IC2 slag into 5 coal dust and 1 tiny gold dust, which you can't do with the IE slag - so it behooves you to get a few blast furnaces automated ASAP. you can make diamonds and gold out of nothing but cobble and iron that turns into steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Off to a good start, Age of Engineering. 'Make an IC2 Blast Furnace to get slag so you can make an Immersive Engineering Blast Furnace.'

The IE blast furnace is extremely optional. Recommended, but optional.

The main benefit to doing this is then, in turn, upgrading the IE blast furnace into the improved blast furnace, which you can augment with preheaters to radically increase its speed at the cost of power.

in fairness you want that slaaaag later - you can thermally centrifuge IC2 slag into 5 coal dust and 1 tiny gold dust, which you can't do with the IE slag - so it behooves you to get a few blast furnaces automated ASAP. you can make diamonds and gold out of nothing but cobble and iron that turns into steel

:yikes:

instead of doing that, make the following TiCon hammer:

ardite hammer head
ardite tough tool rod
obsidian large plate
bronze large plate

slap silk touch, glowing, and reinforced on it, head to y-level 11, pick one direction, and mine until you have a large number of resources