Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah but it is not very actionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think the main question at this point is how you went from "Smilies in mason doc = Max"

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Max posted:

I think the main question at this point is how you went from "Smilies in mason doc = Max"

okay

i have mmt, bif, and you alive.

mmt was hyper-critical of the masonry and actively pushed me for it. was that her playing both sides of the fence in an attempt to bamboozle me? possibly, in vacuum. however if you look at her as a whole, i think that falls apart. i was thinking about this game in the background today and i think mmt displays the most consistent thought process. her shifts are logical and usually supported by reasoning.

it is possible that bif was loving with me the entire game. however, if bif was looking to leverage our mason relationship, it just makes more sense to play it straight. what is the inherent advantage in this? i think the simplest explanation is the best here.

activity in the mason doc means it was an active player, presumably. i know you tried to discredit my faux-partner as pera, but i think that is beyond the pale even for her.

that leaves you.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

And yet it wasn't.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Let me come at it from this angle: If I'm scum, what reason do I have to put that smilie face in there?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Max posted:

Let me come at it from this angle: If I'm scum, what reason do I have to put that smilie face in there?

no one has any loving reason to do any of this poo poo this game is ridiculous

at least my boss is out till after lunch yay

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

no one has any loving reason to do any of this poo poo this game is ridiculous

at least my boss is out till after lunch yay

same.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Like why would any scum do that, honestly?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Max posted:

Like why would any scum do that, honestly?

i don't know, but it was done.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Somberbrero posted:

7:23cst

i know you never claimed not-venus but it's only now that i bothered to google and find out venus is a gatdamn alien.

Was this before Hal flipped?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If it was, is it possible that was Hal?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Because there are two other options in my mind if it wasn't Hal:

Either it's an outside actor and we're in a bastard setup, in which case gently caress that.

Or you're just lying about this, but that's such a bonkers argument to be making that I can't imagine you making that even if you were scum.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Also 40 minutes from whatever deadline we have here.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Max posted:

Also 40 minutes from whatever deadline we have here.

so what's it gonna be Somber? still think it just has to be Max no matter what? I think he's been showing even more frustration than you with his oracle thing and yet still always coming through to post and think and case through it even while everyone's been doubting him, or even when he was saddled with haikus. If you just think MT sounds too town, well I think Max sounds townier.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Murmur Twin (1): Bifauxnen

Not Voting (3): Max, Murmur Twin, Somberbrero

With 4 hunies, it's 3 votes to pop. Figure out who to pop by August 07th, 2017 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 33 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Bifauxnen posted:

Somber just look at all that drat effort. I'm pretty much over my paranoia about Max's oracle thing now. MT has done a good job of looking townie but while you guys sound actually stressed in how perplexed you are, she sounds like she's just trying to push it home and get one of you lunched.

If you're really never gonna ever move off Max, then I'll vote him rather than wait out MYLO cause then I'd just end up dead with you voting Max tomorrow anyway. If there is another day. But for fucks sake at least first consider the remote possibility that MT could somehow be the scum.

wait what oracle thing?

also if you look at max's posting, four of his six pages are from august 3rd on. i don't want to dismiss his input on this game but it feels very much like he's trying to power through now that we're at endgame when he was floaty otherwise.

in all fairness i think i get why mmt would vote me over max. i haven't been invested or consistent as a whole. i'm not playing a careful, well-reasoned game. i'm playing as someone who was lost pretty early on and never found their way back. i expected to be dead by today, but apparently my play has been weak enough overall that scum thought it'd be better to bring me her as a goat. i want to apologize for that, because i feel like if we lose it is going to be my fault and i don't know what to do about that now.

i'm exhausted, i need to do laundry, i need to walk my dog, i have dishes piling up, but i want us to win this. i keep looking back for some avenue i haven't explored so i can get us there, but i'm not finding it. so let me make as clear a statement as i can, at least.

i think it has to be max. here are the foundations of that belief.

a) the trickling claims.

max seems privy to way more game information than any other living player. we can't know because most players took their role information to their grave, but this seems to be a largely vanilla setup. Correct me if i'm wrong there.

no one else was hit with a pr. the timing of the resulting miller claim, the way the pr was bungled, and initially hiding that information from the thread betrays the idea of hidden information. i'm still not sure what to make of his masonry reveal, but the fact that he was the only player aware of the presence of a masonry seems telling as to the identity of my mason partner.

b) his cool demeanor

max doesn't get riled up really. he's maintained a consistent, determined face for most of the game, even while collecting votes in mylo. call me crazy, but townies get mad. they scream, they yell, they argue, they make mistakes. max hasn't really done any of that. it feels manufactured in a way i can't ascribe to any other player.

c) process of elimination

for me personally, it just seems like the only possibility when looking at murmur and bif. i've already talked about this in brief so i won't belabor the point, but if i'm looking at the current playing field, it just makes sense to me.

d) his flavor

i know max is going to latch on to this, but seriously, no one finds it strange that he's an alium?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Max posted:

If it was, is it possible that was Hal?

technically i guess? if it was hal, and hal was scum loving with me, why did he die?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
bif where does max sound flustered to you? of course he's going to keep coming in and playing. we're all playing. this is endgame and it's been a wild ride start to finish, no one wants to crap out now.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'm home and will answer any questions anyone has for me, in the meantime I feel like I've asked Somber a bunch of questions that haven't been asked yet.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm home and will answer any questions anyone has for me, in the meantime I feel like I've asked Somber a bunch of questions that haven't been asked yet.

i'll go back then

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

Do you mean answered?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

bif where does max sound flustered to you? of course he's going to keep coming in and playing. we're all playing. this is endgame and it's been a wild ride start to finish, no one wants to crap out now.

not flustered, as you've definitely pointed out Max keeps his cool, but that doesn't sound abnormal to me at all for his town game either. I don't think I've ever seen Max actually "get mad" in a game. I've seen him working really well as a townie in FF5 when people were doing the battiest poo poo with their actions and he still kept his cool. I've seen him in the middle of Myst endgame when loving everything was down to the wire on one impossible decision and I was busy roleplaying being all zerked out on adrenaline, and he still kept his cool. If you're waiting for screaming and yelling and arguing as proof of his towniness, you're just not going to get it.

But he does sound frustrated at not having the answers.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somber can you remember off the top of your head the first thing that happened that made you think Max might be scum?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Do you mean answered?

:eng99:

(yes)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

Nah, this is a fair question. When Sandwolf thought I was scum you agreed with him, when did it change to a foregone conclusion that I'm town?

it was never a foregone conclusion.

personally you shifted columns for me right about here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828019&userid=147412&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post475068514

your line of questioning was aggravating me but it seemed genuinely motivated and reasoned at that point.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

Somber can you remember off the top of your head the first thing that happened that made you think Max might be scum?

i felt like when he was arguing that it was implausible that sandwolf and i both saw your :f5: post as scummy that he was being dishonest in order to push me as a candidate. the fact that he never really followed up on that in a meaningful way made it seem opportunistic.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

please don't float the loving deadline anymore pera ffs

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That's awful reasoning.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
wait where the gently caress is this oracle claim i completely missed?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's the name of my role.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Max posted:

It's the name of my role.

uhhhhhhhh

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

wait where the gently caress is this oracle claim i completely missed?

At any point did you click the ? on Max to scan through his posts?

Most of my casing Max was based on the fact that that claim made no sense, did you miss that?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Somber the :f5: thing was such bad reasoning and something I and others said was awful at the time. You kept asking me if it makes sense that you saw it that way, and I still think it was a terrible read of the situation, but it was so small that there was no point in pressing it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

This has been loving established?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

At any point did you click the ? on Max to scan through his posts?

Most of my casing Max was based on the fact that that claim made no sense, did you miss that?

like i said i have had no time today. yes i missed that in my reread. that's loving nuts, did i also miss where he ever claimed results? why would he just today be presenting this information?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It was the name of the role for the person that pera gets to gently caress with I guess because all she told me was what I thought was setup info about the masons which was, again, not true apparently.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

And I presented this because Bif asked. We both posted about this literally at the same time.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Max posted:

It was the name of the role for the person that pera gets to gently caress with I guess because all she told me was what I thought was setup info about the masons which was, again, not true apparently.

that's not even how an oracle works. in a flipless game a standard oracle, one that is informed how many anti-town remain in play, would make sense.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I dunno what pera is thinking, but

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828019&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post475079424

You literally posted right after I posted about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Max I know we can't get into role PM quoting but just to be vague about it, did your role actually look really straightforward like a normal role assigment would be? Or was it just woven into a tapestry of in-character chitchat

• Locked thread