Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I saw a video that explained some optimal wall building that was in use by the alpha players that I found intriguing.

it involves placing a vertical wall on the outside, then creating a half-tile floor, then attaching a low wall to it and leaving a half tile gap between that and the wall you placed earlier, then attaching a stair to the half floor. This effectively triples your wall-density. They will have to beat the outside wall, the half wall and the stair all in the space of a single tile. This should save resources and space compared with the multi-walled approaches I've used in my existing designs over the weekend.

code:
    /|
   / |
  /  |
 /   |
/__| |   <- zombies attack this side. add floor tile with traps optional.  

I plan on using this to further strengthen my main walls and then to create gaps in strategic places that will siphon the zombies into a winding killing hallway. So far the zombie siphon plan has been working great. My only job during defenses so far has been to keep walls repaired when bomb witches, those big bull-rushing zombies and the propane-tank lobbing crazies come to visit.

The hallways look like this:
code:
zombies enter here
|__  |
|    |
|  __|
|    | 
|__  |
|    |
|  __|
you stand here and shoot when necessary
The zombies have to snake around the half-walls. There are traps on all 4 surfaces which do massive damage and they try to maneuver through the gaps. Very effective and saves ammo! Add wall spring traps that fling them into opposite spiked walls creates chaos since it adds to the clogged up hallway, letting the traps do their business.

So far I like the feel of the game. It seems chill and fun and I'm having a good time just enjoying the game loop without having to optimize or min-max the experience. Maybe that'll change but for now I am ok with it. I made the mistake of reading reddit this AM. It, and people in general, never fails to disappointment me. While there is a focus on paying for stuff, as a person playing this casually, I don't feel like there's much need to participate in the purchase of coins etc. I certainly don't want to finish this experience in a weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I feel like I'm starting to hit the grind getting my Plank base ready for SSD3. Maybe I'm way over preparing, but I'm trying to do death corridors, and the materials required for the sandwiches in between the corridors is pretty brutal. If I spend 10-15 minutes gathering for 999 in all mats, I can easily blow through that in 15 minutes of building.

And don't get me started on nuts and bolts. I think I end up with about 100 per farming run, but that's only about 10 traps.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

I feel like I'm starting to hit the grind getting my Plank base ready for SSD3. Maybe I'm way over preparing, but I'm trying to do death corridors, and the materials required for the sandwiches in between the corridors is pretty brutal. If I spend 10-15 minutes gathering for 999 in all mats, I can easily blow through that in 15 minutes of building.

And don't get me started on nuts and bolts. I think I end up with about 100 per farming run, but that's only about 10 traps.

You're way overbuilding, unless you're soloing. If that's what you want to do because you find building fun then go for it. But Plank 3 can still be handled with level 1 walls and a gun line. Plank 5 was the first defense I've actually had to sweat a little about possibly losing the bonus on, and that's because I duo'd it with another low-mid 20s guy (versus level 34 mobs). The last wave (and really, only that wave) both lasted long enough and was dense enough that the enemies (particularly the witches) were able to overcome the repair rates of level 3 walls.

Nuts and bolts are always a pain unless you like (or at minimum, can stand) repair the shelter missions. Every stealth cache that doesn't have an objective in it will drop 75 nuts and bolts. The troll bombs take a little longer to drop them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bakalakadaka posted:

I'm ok with ammo existing and you have plenty of time to prepare for fights so mid fight ammo shortages aren't usually a problem. That said I wouldn't complain if they got rid of it so I can use all my nuts and bolts on traps instead.

That's just it, ammo takes resources that could be used to build forts/traps. I never build during missions except maybe a basic square box around the objective just because I don't wanna waste the resources. They really need to encourage building forts instead of punishing players who spend the resources. For a game about building forts and making traps it actually seems to be very small part of the game so far.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not very far into the game, but I'm just starting to hit the point where monsters are actually making it to traps before dying or maybe I'm just bad around level 15 or so.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Popete posted:

Yeah I think ammo should just be removed it's just an annoyance to monitor mid fight.
I had to basically spend an entire mission this weekend smashing up cars because I ran out of bolts and needed to stock up in case I got sent to another mission that basically has none. If you are going to make a resource that important it needs to be everywhere.

Similarly I noticed people weren't bothering with traps in about half the missions I played this weekend, and of those that did only a precious few were any use. I think they need to cost a lot fewer resources or something cause I would frequently have full wood/stone/metal and be unable to build any traps, and I rarely covered every place that I would have liked to put one. At least at low levels it seems to be more trouble than it's worth, if you can run out so easily when you've obviously been harvesting often. As if to add insult to injury, I now have two different powers that give resource packs, but they're both just wood/stone/metal and basically borderline useless to me. Some serious rebalancing is needed on the resources for this game to make any sense.

I did some of the crazy wall sandwiches on a fort when I was left alone to defend it and that helped keep it up til the cavalry arrived, so thanks for that tip.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
you can get good amounts of nuts and bolts from expeditions if you go after crafting supplies

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

At least at low levels it seems to be more trouble than it's worth, if you can run out so easily when you've obviously been harvesting often. As if to add insult to injury, I now have two different powers that give resource packs, but they're both just wood/stone/metal and basically borderline useless to me. Some serious rebalancing is needed on the resources for this game to make any sense.

Yeah I'm always stock full in Wood/Metal/Brick but it doesn't really seem all that useful when you need a bunch of other crafting materials for traps or anything fun/useful. There also isn't really any good explanation of where to find things so I find myself not wanting to craft traps because it might use up a bunch of duct tape and idk where to find more.

Throw in ammo using nuts & bolts which isn't hard to find but you do need to stock up on and it's just an extra layer of annoyance. I find myself using a melee weapon a lot just so I don't have to bother with ammo.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
FYI you craft duck tape and blast powder from the far right tab in crafting.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am starting to think that The Wall is only perception. That they have paced the game wrong. You get used to gain a level after every mission. Then you get a level every 5 missions and think something is wrong. Imagine WoW or other mmorpg where after every dungeon you would gain a level. That would be consider too fast.

On PS4 another problem, for me, maybe for other people, is that you have to use the "find game" option, so you can't choose the mission you want. So I cant choose the same mission that gives water drops or hero xp, is pretty much random where I will end to.

I am pretty happy about the game. Theres huge swatches of game that are poorly designed and firm in the Anti-Fun squad, but it don't tarnish the core of the game, that is quite fun. If only getting the weapons you want where easier. If where possible to try other class to see how they feel. If the game had less "gently caress you player" moments. If ammo and traps where less scarce.

On my level you have to farm 1.5 games to have 1 good game with many traps and enough ammo for your favorite weapons.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Tei posted:

I am starting to think that The Wall is only perception. That they have paced the game wrong. You get used to gain a level after every mission. Then you get a level every 5 missions and think something is wrong. Imagine WoW or other mmorpg where after every dungeon you would gain a level. That would be consider too fast.

On PS4 another problem, for me, maybe for other people, is that you have to use the "find game" option, so you can't choose the mission you want. So I cant choose the same mission that gives water drops or hero xp, is pretty much random where I will end to.

I am pretty happy about the game. Theres huge swatches of game that are poorly designed and firm in the Anti-Fun squad, but it don't tarnish the core of the game, that is quite fun. If only getting the weapons you want where easier. If where possible to try other class to see how they feel. If the game had less "gently caress you player" moments. If ammo and traps where less scarce.

On my level you have to farm 1.5 games to have 1 good game with many traps and enough ammo for your favorite weapons.

What level are you now? Do you use a melee weapon at all? I'm level 14 and have 1500 ammo for my pistol and 400 for my shotgun and never seem to run out but I do tend to use my sword or club quite a bit.

I'm on the PS4 and I thought (I'm not able to check right now) you just go to the Map (instead of the Play screen), choose the mission type you want and go. It will matchmake you. You can either wait for it to slot others or you can join right away and it will match others into your instance when it finds them. For instance, from the Map you can select "Save the Survivors" and go from there. Is that what you mean?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tei posted:

The wall has nothing to do with leveling and everything to do with not being able to get schematics outside of llamas, after a while the only way to get new loot is the llama every 2 days from your dailies. Also around this time you realize that nothing has changed much since the start, the locations never change and they stop inroducing new mobs, also the skill tree is just slight stat boosts that keep you parity with rising hp everything is still pretty much the same.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Tei posted:

YO. I'm in this same boat of progressing smoothly without grinding, but legendary weapon havers don't get to talk about how The Wall is just a figment of people's point of view and it doesn't really exist. The paywall is designed to get people to spend $$$ to roll a legendary weapon, and possibly legendary survivors and lots of chaff to recycle for an immediate leveling spree if they're of average shooter skill or didn't realize what things are important to spend their experience on. So, pretty much by definition we already lucked or paid our way past it, and it was easier for me as an early adopter because they had that early guaranteed legendary weapon llama.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Map tab is definitely the way to go on PS4. If you have a specific mission type as the "main quest" then the Play Now from the first tab will pick that, but if you're in one of the freelance parts or just need a certain type you should go hit up the map. You can also do the matchmaking from there to join a random other mission and it gives you two types of matchmaking, though it isn't clear to me what the difference is. One of them says level 1-15 for me and the other says 15 with no range, which is really weird since I got access to that at like power level 6.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I did actually luck out and get one Legendary gun of some sort with one of my many free loots (of some sort, I'm too absentminded to remember what), but I doubt I would ever play enough to hit The Wall anyway. And right now I am enjoying my Firecracker too much to care about the numbers on anything else.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

YO. I'm in this same boat of progressing smoothly without grinding, but legendary weapon havers don't get to talk about how The Wall is just a figment of people's point of view and it doesn't really exist.

This part I agree.
I have played phone games with a better progression system through something similar to the llama system. So even by F2P standards, the game is too unfair (not sure about the word) for players.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Usually when I choose a mission on the map nobody else is doing it and I end creating a room, but the game is happy to matchmake people into my game at that point so it works.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Usually when I choose a mission on the map nobody else is doing it and I end creating a room, but the game is happy to matchmake people into my game at that point so it works.

I think the only way to join random people is by doing the"play with others" mission outside the storm shield.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm not sure what the point of craftable ammo is exactly, especially when there is already a durability system.

Bakalakadaka posted:

I think the only way to join random people is by doing the"play with others" mission outside the storm shield.

That makes sense I guess.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'm not sure what the point of craftable ammo is exactly, especially when there is already a durability system

Gotta have something to do while you wait for your sprint energy to recharge as you trundle across the map.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The one benefit of there being craftable ammo is that it means I use my melee weapon more often just so I don't have to think about it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I'm not sure what the point of craftable ammo is exactly, especially when there is already a durability system.
I'm coming to the conclusion that it's to make Nuts n Bolts excessively needed because someone on the team loves whacking apart cars. I didn't put two and two together til I read it here but that's why I ran out of ammo, cause I spent the bolts making traps. It's so dumb I'm almost tempted to actually find out how to send feedback.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cars are a lousy way to get nuts and bolts. Try smaller things like machines and cat tax collectors.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yeah I love making murderforts, but then in missions I am starting not to bother because I spend all my time looking for nuts and bolts and never have any left for myself to craft ammo or even traps for my own storm shield.

I am starting to think that resources spent building forts and traps during a mission should be refunded at the end.

Although some of the times I have declined to be the person building the fort I get grouped with people who have the common sense of an autistic potato. That's fine in early missions, but even in Plankerton you will get punished for super dumb building designs.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I play this game like I play my favorite tower defense games.

When the enemy attack from 4 fronts and I reduce it to two fronts, and one of the fronts take care of itself, I feel good. I feel good and I have nothing to do, but happily grind monsters tryiing to get to the base trough 1 dead tunnel.

I have made many murderforts. Some of them are real challenges. Somewhat like puzzles that ask for a solution. When theres natural barriers, you use them. When not, you create them.
When theres a natural unbuildable area, you are hosed and forced to allow enemies to come from there, even if is unconvenient. Sometimes you can cover a undefensible area in a huge pillbox.

I get broke every 1.5 games, but I don't mind it. The next games I use to farm basic resources.

Theres some resource management here: iron for the vital parts that need to receive punishment, stone for generic parts, wood for scaffolding and defense in deep crap.

Sometimes you are in a great team and everyone help and put traps. Sometimes you are in a garbage team where people don't even repair critical walls. But when you get in a good team, the game is super-rewarding. Like some turret defense game in first person.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tei posted:

Cars are a lousy way to get nuts and bolts. Try smaller things like machines and cat tax collectors.

The larger rock spawns almost always have a rusty coffee can behind them. Those have 2-3 nuts and bolts and there are dozens of them on every map.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tei posted:

Sometimes you are in a great team and everyone help and put traps. Sometimes you are in a garbage team where people don't even repair critical walls. But when you get in a good team, the game is super-rewarding. Like some turret defense game in first person.

Sometimes you're in a bad team where a person builds launchers in such a way that the enemies get thrown and bypass your murder hallway

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I wouldn't mind ammo crafting if it did not require nuts and bolts and only used metal.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Great Beer posted:

The larger rock spawns almost always have a rusty coffee can behind them. Those have 2-3 nuts and bolts and there are dozens of them on every map.

Just about everything mechanical in a house has them as well.

When I started I read a quick hint that mentioned annihilating kitchens and from playing normally I've got like ~300 extra nuts and bolts.

The main thing I keep running out of is planks of wood. They really should let you render wood into planks and metal into nuts and bolts like you do with duct tape and blasting powder.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
If you're building a murder hallway next to a house, try turning it into a pit and just wall launching zombies into it - if there's no escape they just despawn.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ColHannibal posted:

I wouldn't mind ammo crafting if it did not require nuts and bolts and only used metal.
Yeah, I would gladly even take an ability that just ate metal and spit out bolts. It's vastly easier to get a surplus of the main 3 than anything else, and that's fine to some extent but on the disposable items it can really suck

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kalli posted:

The main thing I keep running out of is planks of wood. They really should let you render wood into planks and metal into nuts and bolts like you do with duct tape and blasting powder.
Oh yeah I ran out of those once too. Is there anything besides trees for those?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CrashCat posted:

Oh yeah I ran out of those once too. Is there anything besides trees for those?

Fences, woodpiles, house parts mostly

But yeah in general they should either increase the amount of the main 3 you can hold (as a skill or whatever if need be), let you render them into more things we need or just lower the mat costs of traps in general. They could probably lower the # of uses on them to compensate if needbe, since it seems that most of the time they get destroyed before running out of charges.

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
Wall launchers have the most satisfying feeling at 40+. Being an instant kill device off of a cliff side or into a basement with no ramp. Too bad upgrading them doesn't hasten their reload speed.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tei posted:

Parking meters are the best. On City missions, there will be tons of them, they take 1 hit, and will drop 2-3 bolts. I am almost always full on ammo as I loot ammo boxes whenever I see them, especially when playing my Outlander. I mainly use nuts and bolts for my traps. Also, do "Destroy the Encampment" missions a lot. They are usually pubbie friendly, there's no base to build, and the boxes dropped by encampments will often have 50+ bolts, along with other crafting materials. I'm always chronically short on inventory space (130 backpack atm) and drop stacks of planks, batteries, ore, etc, just to be able to keep going.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
This game needs to be ripped apart hardcore to wake epic the gently caress up. This has so much potential and is so much fun but this rewards system is going to be cancer that kills this game.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's already happening. http://www.pcgamer.com/fortnite-review/

Predictably, Reddit users are whining about how reviewing an early access game isn't fair.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This game is fun, I am enjoying this game. I would not recommend this game.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Great Beer posted:

Predictably, Reddit users are whining about how reviewing an early access game isn't fair.

I'd settle for a review to just be accurate.

PC Gamer Review posted:

I don’t enjoy running out of ammo with no way to craft more mid-mission. I don’t like leveling up or retiring survivors, heroes, traps, or guns one after the other for indiscernible stat gains. I don’t like how crowded the inventory gets or how oblique crafting recipes can be—there’s no name attached to required items, and the icons for them are super small in some sections of the UI. I don’t like any of it, period.

There are flaws to be sure, but honestly I'd question whether the reviewer played for more than 20 minutes. Not only can you craft more ammo mid-mission, but it's literally right there on your UI in big letters saying "HOLD R TO CRAFT MORE AMMO DUMBASS". The inventory has a tab in it called "Crafting" that, rather intuitively, tells you exactly how much of what resource (names included) is required to build it. And as for the inventory being "crowded" -- that's a rather intuitive side effect of refusing to retire/recycle the things in it, given that doing so is basically the primary way of getting XP items.

I mean, I feel dirty saying "Reddit has a point" but this review actively made me feel stupider for having read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Great Beer posted:

The review is not great but once a game is sold in Wal-mart with no indication there it is early access/beta then it's open season for reviews/judgements.

• Locked thread