Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The melee combat in Breath of the Wild is really bad.

Honestly it is really mind-boggling to me that so many people are already declaring it the game of the year or even a once-in-a-generation type thing, the fact that people have said that is probably why I'm still forcing myself to go through with it and hope that at some point something clicks, like with other games that I didn't like but everyone else loved, I could understand in the abstract what made it good and it just wasn't to my personal tastes, but everything about the design of this game feels so aggressively mediocre

Zelda fans were thirsty as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Honestly it is really mind-boggling to me that so many people are already declaring it the game of the year or even a once-in-a-generation type thing, the fact that people have said that is probably why I'm still forcing myself to go through with it and hope that at some point something clicks, like with other games that I didn't like but everyone else loved, I could understand in the abstract what made it good and it just wasn't to my personal tastes, but everything about the design of this game feels so aggressively mediocre

It's okay to not like a thing. That's the great thing about opinions: they're subjective. All of them. Every single one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It's okay to not like a thing. That's the great thing about opinions: they're subjective. All of them. Every single one.

Except for mine.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Except for mine.

Yeah, you're always objectively wrong :D

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yeah i really don't like the combat in it and there's basically no reward to engaging with it. so i just avoid fights and then get annoyed the few times i ever feel like i have to do them, outside of the dungeons/yiga stuff. i think the other aspects of the game are more than strong enough to make up for it though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I understand that and I am perfectly content with my dislike of BOTW.

I also understand that there is a difference between personal taste and critical judgment, and the idea that people can use the second thing to evaluate works is what allows people to have a critical conversation about things instead of just shouting their predilections into Twitter the void. It's just that this game is the biggest outlier in a long time in terms of people whose critical judgment I generally trust and find helpful, praising a collection of design choices that seem fundamentally flawed, or were done better in other games including other games this year, and/or come together rather poorly.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

botw (like pubg) also gets a lot of praise for "stories" that people encounter while fighting, so that could be the root of some of the praise you see for the combat system as a whole.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I also understand that there is a difference between personal taste and critical judgment, and the idea that people can use the second thing to evaluate works is what allows people to have a critical conversation about things instead of just shouting their predilections into Twitter the void. It's just that this game is the biggest outlier in a long time in terms of people whose critical judgment I generally trust and find helpful, praising a collection of design choices that seem fundamentally flawed, or were done better in other games including other games this year, and/or come together rather poorly.

Zelda is just one of those series that's impossible for many people to be rational about. Nearly every new Zelda has been critically hailed as a genre-transforming epic at some point.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

zelda is really good until it gets old. also the weapon durability system is trash

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also people really wanted to justify buying a console with two games on it

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hey remember when I made fun of that guy's french fry lunch in this thread and then wondered what #UFO50 was and nobody cared or said anything well the reveal trailer just dropped and it looks like I knew about the cool video games first yet again. :cool:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

corn in the bible posted:

also people really wanted to justify buying a console with two games on it

I played plenty of games on my Wii U including Zelda

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't wait to finally play BOTW

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Well my Xbox 1 died. Sucks, thank god for the PS4 I use mostly. I may just buy a switch now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That all makes sense and I don't begrudge the people who really enjoy the game :)

I will probably play it for a bit longer until Sonic Mania drops

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I've mostly been playing Blaster Master Zero on my Switch, the best game with zero in it's title this year.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

Yeah but she just straight up turns from a spider into a sexy lady. She retains no spidery features in Sexy Lady Form, which is why it's kinda dumb.

If her dress was made of spiders or something that'd be creepy enough to keep things in check, or maybe after several cutscenes of her sexy ladying things up you'd find out it wasn't a transformation but an illusion and you were being caressed and nuzzled by a giant loving spider after all.

e- The game hasn't even come out yet so I guess it could still be the second thing.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

In a general sense I don't think it's a good use of time to continue consuming media you don't enjoy because you heard other people praise it. There are way more books/games/movies etc than there is time in your life so just move on. Find something you like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

Make the posts you want to see in the world.
by your request

oddium posted:

zelda is really good until it gets old. also the weapon durability system is trash
the weapon durability system is trash...if you're bad.

If you're not bad, and use weapons smartly, it's good and adds variety!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Naw, it's trash

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the weapon durability system just resulted in me cycling through a bunch of crap weapons while i saved the good ones, or using good ones on encounters that gave me shittier ones. :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the other hand it's extremely tiring to see the opposite side of the critical spectrum call everyone who likes a thing crazy for what they see as "fundamentally flawed" design choices as if they are objectively flawed. That this criticism always ends up being "this was done better in other games" but ignore that maybe the game being discussed is praised as highly as it is because it does all of things at once. And yes, it may not be a master of its individual aspects but video games are a collection of mechanics that work in tandem and those elements together are what create a cohesive whole.

Like when Halo came out the PC crowd just had to shout at the top of their lungs that Quake 3 was a better multiplayer game and Tribes 2 was faster and larger and Half-Life had a better campaign but Halo had a big singleplayer + big multiplayer + vehicular combat and offered it to an audience that had none of those.

What I'm saying is that beneath the glowing praise are plenty of criticisms even from the people giving it 10s because they don't loving matter in the face of the other elements that are enjoyable.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Invictus posted:

the weapon durability system is trash...if you're bad.

If you're not bad, and use weapons smartly, it's good and adds variety!
Does charging up attacks use up durability any faster?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the weapon durability system just resulted in me cycling through a bunch of crap weapons while i saved the good ones, or using good ones on encounters that gave me shittier ones. :shrug:

And I just used my best weapons because the game never really puts you in a situation where you're starving for equipment and scales weapons over time so you're progressively finding better stuff.

But this has to be the biggest hurdle in game design. If you give the player limited resources they're going to hoard them even if it makes the game actively harder which is why everything is going the way of timers and cooldowns.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

Yeah, like, I appreciated cycling through a bunch of different weapon types but it sucked to find a weapon you really liked and have to choose between using it and having it break or saving it hoping it will last you through an encounter where you needed it. The botw durability system was the best use of that type of thing I've ever seen in a game but it still sucked.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

al-azad posted:

And I just used my best weapons because the game never really puts you in a situation where you're starving for equipment and scales weapons over time so you're progressively finding better stuff.

But this has to be the biggest hurdle in game design. If you give the player limited resources they're going to hoard them even if it makes the game actively harder which is why everything is going the way of timers and cooldowns.

The biggest hurdle in game design is that gamers will inevitably find the most efficient and least fun way to play your game.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess i'd also question the variety the system really adds, since it comes down to things like differing elemental damage types or the four or five different weapon movesets. granted, there could be some high-tier stuff i have yet to see because i refuse to stop shrine hunting and finish the last two beasts...

e: at this point i'm just nitpicking i suppose, it's honestly a good amount of variety for what it is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quake 3 is better than halo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One thing I found impressive about Persona 5 is it's one of the few games I've played that gave me a faster walking speed I never bothered to use. In a medium where I usually end up jumping and/or rolling everywhere because the basic walking speed feels to slow, there was rarely a place in P5 where I felt I actually needed a boost of speed beyond the normal silent movement speed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

On the other hand it's extremely tiring to see the opposite side of the critical spectrum call everyone who likes a thing crazy for what they see as "fundamentally flawed" design choices as if they are objectively flawed. That this criticism always ends up being "this was done better in other games" but ignore that maybe the game being discussed is praised as highly as it is because it does all of things at once. And yes, it may not be a master of its individual aspects but video games are a collection of mechanics that work in tandem and those elements together are what create a cohesive whole.

Like when Halo came out the PC crowd just had to shout at the top of their lungs that Quake 3 was a better multiplayer game and Tribes 2 was faster and larger and Half-Life had a better campaign but Halo had a big singleplayer + big multiplayer + vehicular combat and offered it to an audience that had none of those.

What I'm saying is that beneath the glowing praise are plenty of criticisms even from the people giving it 10s because they don't loving matter in the face of the other elements that are enjoyable.

That's why I included the phrase "come together poorly." The weapon durability makes the bad-feeling combat feel even worse as you have to cycle through your inventory in longer battles and/or break the flow of combat by scavenging for weapons. The climbing system is supposed to make the boring empty expanses feel better because you can go anywhere, but it actually ends up being tedious, time-consuming, and full of annoyances such as when it rains. The only reason I even included the part about things being done in other games is because a lot of people praised this game for its exploration when it uses an open world model based on climbing towers to reveal the map.... but wait guys, this one is OK and even better because it has the dubious innovation of making you place the map markers yourself! ...Which does nothing for me and is apparently done in the service of making you feel like you are charting your own path and telling your own story except it does it with systems that are either flat in and of themselves or transparently designed to make you chart your own path which makes it all feel rather illusory.

Like, gently caress, I even placed the onus on myself that I couldn't see what everyone else is seeing in this game, the only way I could be more reasonable about this is to agree with things I actually disagree about

Edit: Like, my main loving criticism of Breath of the Wild is that it is precisely an example of mechanics not working in tandem and not forming a cohesive whole

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 8, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

botw is literally the only game where I've gotten excited about exploring

All other open world games have felt worthless in that regard.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The real game of the year will be super Mario odyssey, also avaliable exclusively for the Nintendo switch

Serf
May 5, 2011

I really enjoyed the weapon system in BOTW after being convinced I would hate it. Weapon durability is something I usually hate in games, but scrambling around in Zelda, using your powers to knock a weapon away from an enemy and grab it, that's a really fun feeling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Big empty open worlds are better than open worlds with lots of mini games scattered around them. My favorite open world is Shadow of the Colossus

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Breath of the Wild, more like Breath of the Mild

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Stealing enemy weapons in BOTW is a good mechanic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's why I included the phrase "come together poorly." The weapon durability makes the bad-feeling combat feel even worse as you have to cycle through your inventory in longer battles and/or break the flow of combat by scavenging for weapons. The climbing system is supposed to make the boring empty expanses feel better because you can go anywhere, but it actually ends up being tedious, time-consuming, and full of annoyances such as when it rains. The only reason I even included part about things being done in other games is because a lot of people praised this game for its exploration when it uses an open world model based on climbing towers to reveal the map.... but wait guys, this one is OK and even better because it has the dubious innovation of making you place the map markers yourself! ...Which does nothing for me and is apparently done in the service of making you feel like you are charting your own path and telling your own story except it does it with systems that are either flat in and of themselves or transparently designed to make you chart your own path which makes it all feel rather illusory.

Like, gently caress, I even placed the onus on myself that I couldn't see what everyone else is seeing in this game, the only way I could be more reasonable about this is to agree with things I actually disagree about

I'm less quoting you and more like your post triggered my eye rolling over this 7,000 word article filled with cliches that crop up in every "this is overrated" article.

But yeah, video games by design are more than their individual parts. I like the impermanence of scavenging and throwing poo poo in enemy faces, and it has the bonus of doing double damage or more with a shot to the head. Your arrows end up being more powerful than melee weapons in some cases, usually auto-killing elemental enemies, and your infinite bombs, stasis, and magnet abilities all work in a pinch with the designers clearly putting manipulative items like powder kegs and bee hives in populated areas. And normally I tired of the Assassin's Creed model of filling out the world map but really it's because AssCreed makes a chore out of it where the tower exists solely to trigger new things to auto-fill on your map. So yes, standing on top of a hill and looking out over the world to mark things is an incredibly good feeling in an open world game and it triggered nostalgia for Morrowind where you ask for directions and a character is like "See that giant landmark? Follow the road south of it, spin around three times, go up the third hill, then whistle at the moon." That is incredibly my poo poo and it is legitimately lost in an era of auto maps and pointers.

Take apart the building blocks and you lose everything BotW is about but together there legitimately isn't a game like it no matter how you squint your eyes. Even Witcher 3, a game I felt came close to this, relied a bit too much on metagaming to enjoy. You could play without the UI and markers but it's clear the designers wanted you to play with them.

quote:

Edit: Like, my main loving criticism of Breath of the Wild is that it is precisely an example of mechanics not working in tandem and not forming a cohesive whole

And my take away is that they do, and our experiences just can't click together. I knew I would love this game when a moblin attacked a stasis rock, ran at me, then got knocked away from behind. Critics would say "so what, what does this add" but it's an illusion of interactivity that hasn't been broken yet and 80 hours in I still approach every encounter like "how can i gently caress with these creeps"

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 8, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess games really are spaces to express one's values because after my fiftieth encampment I thought to myself, "What am I getting out of going there when I don't like fighting, and at best I will replace some of the weapons I have with equal to or worse weapons." The same thing with the Korok seeds, people who bash collectibles in other games drool over these and want to collect all one thousand or whatever and maybe I'm just jaded and cynical because when I read that the designers used the Hero's Path tool to see where people weren't going and placed the Korok seeds there, I was like, "Oh, they're doing that to fill the map just like other open world games do, and the reason to collect the seeds besides the fleeting pleasure of solving a one-step puzzle is to increase my inventory slots which only matters because the inventory is at a feel-bad low cap and the inventory slots only really matter because of the feel-bad durability system and aren't I trying to avoid interacting with the feel-bad melee combat anyway"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 8, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess games really are spaces to express one's values because after fiftieth encampment I thought to myself, "What am I getting out of going there when I don't like fighting, and at best I will replace some of the weapons I have with equal to or worse weapons." The same thing with the Korok seeds, people who bash collectibles in other games drool over these and want to collect all one thousand or whatever and maybe I'm just jaded and cynical because when I read that the designers used the Hero's Path tool to see where people weren't going and placed the Korok seeds there, I was like, "Oh, they're doing that to fill the map just like other open world games do, and the reason to collect the seeds besides the fleeting pleasure of solving a one-step puzzle is to increase my inventory slots which only matters because the inventory is at a feel-bad low cap and the inventory slots only really matter because of the feel-bad durability system and aren't I trying to avoid interacting with the feel-bad melee combat anyway"

:allears: Please go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sometimes a game lands for you and sometimes it doesn't.

• Locked thread