Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest update - Episode 30 - Till Dawn (12/09) and The Finale (12/10)

Bloodborne is an action RPG developed by From Software, published by Sony. It released on March 24, 2015 for PS4 only and it will likely stay there for the rest of eternity thanks to Sony's exclusivity deal! Thanks, Sony.

It is the technical fifth in the series of three Dark Souls games created by director Hidetaka Miyazaki, a man who really enjoys tightly paced and tuned combat systems in video games. It's more like a cousin to the Dark Souls games. Inspired by the works of HP Lovecraft and Bram Stoker, Bloodborne marks a radical shift for the series in terms of tone and visual style. It tells the story of the Hunter- our player character -as they explore the ruined city of Yharnam in an attempt to find out what happened to turn the place on its head and, more importantly, survive the hunt they have been conscripted into. As is generally the case in these games, it gets more complex than that relatively quickly.

Bloodborne is my favorite video game of all time. I think it perfectly nails the Souls game formula of being brutal and punishing, but fair in a way that is directly proportional to the player's skill and forethought. It is complex enough to be replayable, but simple enough to be approachable. The story is imaginative and layered. The game design is so tight as to be called borderline genius. The people who made Bloodborne are very talented and it shows! They made a game that is enjoyable on several levels and I hope to show off as much of it as I can. I probably am going to die of an aneurysm before this LP is over.

This LP will be different than some others you've seen because I will be taking the game at a very slow pace, to give myself lots of time to talk about the story, the graphics, anything that comes to mind. Additionally, there will sometimes be splash images in the bottom right corner of the screen which provide a timestamp that leads to the end of the video for bonus content about the game's art, story, and more! I want to show you why Bloodborne deserves to be sat atop the pedestal it's held on.

Yes, because outright banning talk of future events would leave the discussion a bit lopsided, but only in spoiler tags. This game has a lot of fun surprises in store and I do not want it to be ruined for people watching. But please do me and those folks a favor and don't turn the thread into a CIA document.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ahh, you've found yourself a Hunter...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CJacobs posted:

I probably am going to die of an aneurysm before this LP is over.

Does that mean you're going to hoard your insight?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The only planes here are the nine circles of hell, 3\10

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
this day is now a good day

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I adore the mythology of this game. No other game I've ever seen has been so complex and rich and disturbing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh I've been looking forward to this let's play. Can't wait to see more of the exciting adventures of Jill Bloodborne.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I adore the mythology of this game. No other game I've ever seen has been so complex and rich and disturbing.

Me too!

ChaosArgate posted:

Does that mean you're going to hoard your insight?

No, I'll be spending it quite liberally! Look forward to bonus features spilling out of my ears for this whole LP!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, nice. Bloodborne LPs are always fun and I love the treatment you've been giving to Alan Wake and Silent Hill, this should be great.

e: In order to not just gush over something I'll never play - how would you compare Bloodborne's combat to The Surge?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 30, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Genocyber posted:

Jill Bloodborne.

I was leaning towards CJillcobs

(I watch at 144p so normal in-game text is usually a blur. It wasn't until your post that I realized what CJacobs originally entered in the name box)

anilEhilated posted:

Ooh, nice. Bloodborne LPs are always fun and I love the treatment you've been giving to Alan Wake and Silent Hill, this should be great.

I'm also watching the very entertaining Pat & Woolie Bloodborne Show but a more lore-focused LP will be of interest

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
My favorite souls game, oh boy. I love Bloodborne, the entire game just oozes style and it feels a lot better to play than the dark souls games, to me at least. Lore LPs are excellent, and since Fae isn't along for the ride, it won't devolve into dong and egg chat.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
Glad to see this, I've been looking forward to it since the teaser! It seems like Bloodborne's recently had a resurgence among LPers for some reason.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I am absolutely terrible at these games (after all, my eyes have yet to open), but I'm going to watch this LP.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The pace you're taking with this is really interesting, and liberal helpings of insight is really nice.

Thanks for starting this up now, CJ!

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
This is one of my favorite games, and your LP's inspired by one of my favorite LPs. A shame annotations are not a thing on youtube anymore, but its not gonna burden my enjoyment of this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which, for those that don't know why I spoke of annotations in the first video but there actually are only timestamps, here's an explanation: Youtube killed them and didn't replace their functionality! Here is a video I made on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8j-oN7IzI

Thank you all for the well wishes so far, believe me, this has been a long time coming! This first episode has been sitting on my hard drive for over a year :suicide:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Lore LPs are excellent, and since Fae isn't along for the ride, it won't devolve into dong and egg chat.
Ah, dong...

or as some say...

dragon dildo.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

the introductory cutscene for the Hunter's Dream is so drat good

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nice. I've been looking forward to this LP starting. Funnily enough, Slowbeef's Bloodborne LP is what finally got me to try jumping playing Dark Souls, but it was a blind LP of course. It'll be cool to get some idea of what's actually going on in Bloodborne, story-wise. Especially since I'll never get to play the game myself since I'm not buying a PS4 for a single game!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Lore LPs are excellent, and since Fae isn't along for the ride, it won't devolve into dong and egg chat.

I don't know, personally I've been hoping for a CJacobs + Fae Dongborne stream as a side thing. The Dong Souls stream was an all-round good time.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Antistar01 posted:

Nice. I've been looking forward to this LP starting. Funnily enough, Slowbeef's Bloodborne LP is what finally got me to try jumping playing Dark Souls, but it was a blind LP of course. It'll be cool to get some idea of what's actually going on in Bloodborne, story-wise. Especially since I'll never get to play the game myself since I'm not buying a PS4 for a single game!

I don't know, personally I've been hoping for a CJacobs + Fae Dongborne stream as a side thing. The Dong Souls stream was an all-round good time.

Fair enough, but having watched both a goofing around LP of Bloodborne, and an informative one (See Genocyber's bloodborne LP) I think the game lends itself well to a more deep dive into the various aspects of the game as a whole, and solo commentary tends to be better for that. Not saying I wouldn't watch a Fae and CJacobs Dongborne streamthrough, but I wanna get into the visceral innards of what makes the Bloodborne world tick, personally.

Also the PS4 is totally worth it just for Bloodborne. (And all the other sony exclusive games.)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Just throwing my vote in that we are all the poorer for the lack of dong and egg chat.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The LP gimmick works real well, since so much of Bloodborne's story is told through visual clues and context, not through item descriptions.

Tell me, CJakes. How do you feel about blood vial farming?

Edit: At 26:30, you knocked on a door where you could hear someone laughing from within. We'll see more of this later, but I wonder if they're having a party, like people do in hurricane country, where you have to stay indoors for days on end. I wonder if there's a small baby boom nine months after a hunt.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 1, 2017

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The LP gimmick works real well, since so much of Bloodborne's story is told through visual clues and context, not through item descriptions.

Edit: At 26:30, you knocked on a door where you could hear someone laughing from within. We'll see more of this later, but I wonder if they're having a party, like people do in hurricane country, where you have to stay indoors for days on end. I wonder if there's a small baby boom nine months after a hunt.
That's a really funny question.

It's not even nine hours for some!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In my experience, they dream of Lovecraftian pigs instead. :v:

I played this game to death, and yet watching an LP I still kind of want to go back to it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Worst part of the game in my opinion, one of the few objectively bad decisions I feel they made regarding changes from the Souls series' mechanics. They should have done it like Nioh and given you a couple permanent free ones when you respawn, no matter how many you have in your box. On your first playthrough, it will make your life hell. On your second playthrough onward, you won't ever need to do it. In my opinion that's the mark of a bad game mechanic.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CJacobs posted:

Worst part of the game in my opinion, one of the few objectively bad decisions I feel they made regarding changes from the Souls series' mechanics. They should have done it like Nioh and given you a couple permanent free ones when you respawn, no matter how many you have in your box. On your first playthrough, it will make your life hell. On your second playthrough onward, you won't ever need to do it. In my opinion that's the mark of a bad game mechanic.
I agree. I also think that Nioh should have hinted at the "some free ones" thing better - coming from Bloodborne, I thought they were in limited supply like there, gritted my teeth and NEVER HEALED until I was halfway through the village and I randomly read somewhere that it's okay to drink. I should pick it up again soon because I might have Gotten Gud during my first hours of trying to not get hit, ever...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What happens if you do successfully use fists on werewolf?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

The Lone Badger posted:

The werewolf dies.

I think the cutscene and warp to the Dream happens whenever you die for the first time, but that's the only special thing that happens. Even if you never die, you can go to the Dream normally via lantern just fine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't think you get anything cool for it, though. It's not like killing the Asylum Demon with your broken sword.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Lone Badger posted:

You can head out into the game world with no weapon! You don't actually go to the Hunter's Dream until the first time you die or use a lantern, so if you scrounge up a weapon from Central Yharnam you don't have to go there at all. Just a little personal victory thing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's drat decent of From to give you a serrated weapon in the starting area if you didn't pick one as your gift.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 3, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You can head out into the game world with no weapon! You don't actually go to the Hunter's Dream until the first time you die or use a lantern, so if you scrounge up a weapon from Central Yharnam you don't have to go there at all. Just a little personal victory thing.

So I take there have been 0 death runs attempted (successfully?) where the player never visits the Dream? Except for the finale of course

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Most speedruns head to the dream at least once or twice for convenience, but yeah, you can pretty much beat the game without ever going there if you utilize elemental damage items and an item we'll see in a few episodes that massively boosts your base damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today we head across the Great Bridge to reach Cathedral Ward and encounter absolutely no resistance along the way whatsoever.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I used to have hard times fighting dogs in video games, then I realized all dogs in video games fight the same way: jumping at you once they get within range. The secret is to move diagonal or straight to the side, just don't be right in they're grill or you're hosed.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Been waiting for this to start since Argate's LP finished. His got me to fully 100% replay the game. Won't be doing that again, as I have too much of a game backlog to make yet ANOTHER BB character.

Still going to follow this though, see if there's somehow any lore I've missed.

Love this game so much.

...since this will be a Lore LP, will you be showing off all the (non-root) chalice dungeons, for all the unique things therein?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Once I pick up the first chalice in a couple episodes I address that and I believe my answer at the time was "no", but it's been almost a year since I recorded the commentary for the first ~10 episodes so I've since changed my mind! I'm not going to be showing them all off in full but I will run through what each locale is, what it looks like, and most importantly the special bosses and unique stuff.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

CJacobs posted:

I'm not going to be showing them all off in full but I will run through what each locale is, what it looks like, and most importantly the special bosses and unique stuff.

'Unique'.

In all seriousness, thanks for doing this. Genocyber's LP was great to see raw content, and Argate's was really fun, but I am very much looking forward to a more in-depth look at the lore, story, and style.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'll remove this if it's not kosher to recommend other LPs, but there's a longform LP of Bloodborne on YouTube called Let's Talk Lore by Aegon of Astora. It goes through all the areas in the game one by one in tedious detail, talking about the stories, characters, and lore details of each.

It's all spoilers from the word go, so only watch it if you're not concerned etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
What was the annotation in episode one D:?

edit: nm saw it.

Rad LP. I love the pacing.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 8, 2017