Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

John F Bennett posted:

I never played a game that had NG+ so I don't know what it means exactly. Isn't it just replaying the same game but it's easier?
Sometimes harder so you have to use all the max level equipment and skills or die, and sometimes fun stuff like enemy positions changed and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Playing Nioh again after like forever and Sakon is a dick and I hate his long gay (sexy) spear and lion dog

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Goons, please dissuade me from buying The Last Guardian on sale.

Cons: I hated ICO with all my guts (played it 10 years after the fact though)
Meh: What I played of SotC was alright
Pros: I like arty games that try to do something different and I have a pet I love dearly. :3:

Alternatively what decent LP would you recommend ?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just buy it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Pros: I like arty games that try to do something different and I have a pet I love dearly. :3:

I regret buying the Last Guardian, even on sale. It didn't do anything for me same as Ico didn't.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

The Last Guardian was awesome but only if you aren't in a rush to blast through it ASAP, trico actually behaves like an animal and won't instantly do what you want it to do. That can be frustrating at times but I enjoyed it a lot overall, and the ending was really good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So after getting a lend of Horizon, another friend just gave me Persona 5 :stare: that's the rest of the year sorted I guess

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The time I played The Last Guardian (Haven't finished) I enjoyed more when I was playing with my friend who knew the game well. I didn't necessarily enjoy the puzzle aspects, just the overall style, pacing and atmosphere. It's definitely the kind of game I'd just enjoy watching and talking about.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

verbal enema posted:

Playing Nioh again after like forever and Sakon is a dick and I hate his long gay (sexy) spear and lion dog

I presume you are on your first playthrough. Try using the katana skill "Backwave > Tempest" when he's not using Living Weapon.

It takes a bit practice but you can counter almost everything he does. Spear attacks are notoriously easy to counter.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So after getting a lend of Horizon, another friend just gave me Persona 5 :stare: that's the rest of the year sorted I guess

don't buy any of the DLC personas, they don't fit into the game's difficulty-progression at all, and you'll either end up with something that's worthless for where you are in the game, or something that's so powerful it breaks the game completely

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8BUNQiomU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I might want to try Persona 5 NG+ someday but only if there is a way to DRASTICALLY cut short the non-interactive parts, which can go on for weeks of game time. I dunno if fast forwarding every cutscene would even put a dent in it because you have to choose meaningless response choices, characters keep walking around and it keeps sending you back home only to sleep and save the game, etc.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 8, 2017

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

The time I played The Last Guardian (Haven't finished) I enjoyed more when I was playing with my friend who knew the game well. I didn't necessarily enjoy the puzzle aspects, just the overall style, pacing and atmosphere. It's definitely the kind of game I'd just enjoy watching and talking about.

Yeah if there was any particular section I was stuck on for more than 5 mins I looked up how to progress in a walkthrough. It can be hard to tell if you're doing the wrong thing completely, or trico is just being trico at times

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Persona 5 is long as gently caress.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Long and great. 55 hours in myself

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I regret buying the Last Guardian, even on sale. It didn't do anything for me same as Ico didn't.

Okay, I'l buy it used and sell it back if it doesn't click then.

Third time's the charm I hear !

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not PS4-related but this seems to be the best place to ask. I decided to boot up the thing for the first time in a while to play through Demon's Souls again, and I've been having some issues on the technical side, that I think are more about the PS3 itself than the game. Namely framerate drops where there definitely weren't any before, and some really bad audio stuttering issues at times. Is my PS3 finally showing its age, and/or are there any things I could do to potentially alleviate this problem? I imagine cleaning it for dust is one option, but I'm wondering about software stuff like the PS4 build database option.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My final playtime on my Persona 5 save file was over 110 hours so yeah, that game is long as hell

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This is a good read
http://www.thegamebakers.com/furi-and-creating-memorable-moments/

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

So it looks like Hellblade has mandatory permadeath?

http://kotaku.com/hellblade-will-erase-your-save-if-you-die-too-many-time-1797632509

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes, it's true that in Hellblade if you die too many times you lose all progress and have to start from the beginning (the game is ~8 hours long). For some that's going to be a divisive issue and they should definitely know about it before they buy the game. However I've made it about 2 hours in so far having beaten the first boss and I can say the combat is quite forgiving, even a little too simple. If you just totally suck you can always set the difficulty to Easy. I can see why they went this route because of the story they wanted to tell, but if the idea of permadeath bothers you then don't get it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

This is my favorite part of the article:

quote:

... John “Totalbiscuit” Bain, who slammed the system as an “outdated, stupid waste of everyone’s time.” (Bain added that he has not played the game.)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This is literally all the big YouTube videogame reviewers whining about Demon's Souls all over again.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so what bug/user error did jim sterling encoutner that made him initially give hellblade a 1

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

It was my goty last year

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

TLG=good. But you have to be patient with it. I loved it. Literally herding a cat simulator.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Relin posted:

so what bug/user error did jim sterling encoutner that made him initially give hellblade a 1

Autosaved when he missed a game critical item so he would need to restart the entire game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, TLG is good but you gotta treat Trico like a pet rather than a tool that you can use. Some people find that annoying as hell and I don't blame them but it does create a unique and rewarding experience if you can get into it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I found TLG to be a gamer better watched than played. The puzzle mechanics and some other things were incredibly frustrating, and I was perfectly fine just skipping past them until the streamer solved them.

It's like a lot of game in that a lot of the core experience is kind of bad, but a few, stand-out moments leave a bigger last impression.

And obviously, the animation in TLG is like the graphics engine in Horizon, it just feels like space tech that shouldn't be possible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reports are that it's a ruse and it's utterly impossible for the rot to perma kill you no matter how many times you die

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Everything about Hellblade makes me think it'll make for an inevitable and interesting PS+ freebie.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I thought ICO was only OK, but I really liked Shadow of the Colossus. The Last Guardian is better than ICO, but only just barely. I'm guessing you won't like it.

TLG is janky and controls terribly, although that part is a little better than ICO. People explain away Trico's poor pathing and AI by saying it's acting like a real animal... except it doesn't, it simply doesn't do what you want it to do. The game would be about half as long if the game properly responded to your inputs. The game isn't that difficult, the real challenge is getting Trico itself to do a thing.

On the plus side, though, Trico is adorable otherwise. And the last 2.5 hours of TLG are fantastic and exciting, it easily has the best finale of any of their games. It's just a shame it takes so long to get to that part of the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Everything about Hellblade makes me think it'll make for an inevitable and interesting PS+ freebie.

Hopefully the same month as Pyre because I have no idea if I'll love or hate either game from what I've heard

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sakurazuka posted:

Reports are that it's a ruse and it's utterly impossible for the rot to perma kill you no matter how many times you die

I kind of suspected there'd be some kind of way to save you from permadeath because even the IGN team managed to get through the entire game without ever triggering it, and they were flat out terrible in the previews.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Is anyone playing it right now? I'm wondering how the performance is on PS4, does it run at 30 or 60 fps? I might grab it on steam if it's the former.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

I kind of suspected there'd be some kind of way to save you from permadeath because even the IGN team managed to get through the entire game without ever triggering it, and they were flat out terrible in the previews.

Apparently it's also really really hard to actually die in combat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ufarn posted:

And obviously, the animation in TLG is like the graphics engine in Horizon, it just feels like space tech that shouldn't be possible.

Doesn't TLG run at like 9 frames per second

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bad Parenting posted:

Is anyone playing it right now? I'm wondering how the performance is on PS4, does it run at 30 or 60 fps? I might grab it on steam if it's the former.

Pro users can get 60fps in Performance Mode scaled down to a lower resolution (I'm guessing 1080p) or 30fps @ 1440p. PSPoor just gets the 30fps.

I'm playing it on Steam and with a 980ti and i5 I get a consistent 45-55fps @1440p on Very High settings. You definitely need a pretty good system to max out everything on PC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Doesn't TLG run at like 9 frames per second

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How's Uncharted 4 Multiplayer these days? I tried it out at 4's launch but it felt kinda bland with the gunplay and map design. Did it improve or is it dead? If it improved I might buy Lost Legacy since I really like Plunder