Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

What do people do when everything is terrible

Eat, play videogames, same as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Heroin is pretty good at solving that problem

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Help Im Alive posted:

I try doing something outside of my usual habits. Breaking exisitng patterns is key, it shakes up the status quo. The more outside and active the activity is the better. Bonus points if it's something I wanted to try but for some reason postponed. I learned that indulging myself is short-sighted and using games, eating or alcohol as escapism makes me miserable - I do those things out of enjoyment and not to drown my sorrows.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

The lady who is cosplaying posted a step by step of a bunch of parts of the process of making the rachnea costume and body/legs, it's a pretty impressive assembly. Basically just a big chair that she sits in, and her actual legs act as the pedipalps, which is a clever design decision. Also, they hired her because she's got the proper gigantic boobs to pull off rachnea. :v:

Ah, she was the sole person responsible for the whole thing? Goddamn, I'm even more impressed then. It takes a lot of skill to be able to handle both fine/delicate fabric materials as well as convincing prop-making. Lord knows I'm never gonna actually have the skill to make any of the cosplay costumes KCB and I wanna do.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Talking is useful. I don't know what has you down but if it is anything that venting would help with, please by all means vent. It's important that people don't bottle up their emotions. If there's anything I can do to assist you, please let me know and I'll try to my fullest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's an lol thought i just had: when disney were making pocahantas they thought itd be a huge smash success and people jumped ship from working on the lion king to working on it. imagine if it was a huge success, and thus basically mandatory to put in kingdom hearts

sora: Wow, so white people want to kill you
pocahantas: im glad there are non terrible white people like you, sora
sora: *long silence*

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
$0.49 for anyone who didn't already get this weirdly titled 3D grappling hook bionic commando-ish game in a bundle

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/a-story-about-my-uncle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM-GRbjM8KI&t=290s

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

here's an lol thought i just had: when disney were making pocahantas they thought itd be a huge smash success and people jumped ship from working on the lion king to working on it. imagine if it was a huge success, and thus basically mandatory to put in kingdom hearts

I'm thinking about this, very hard, and loling.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

When I think of Disney understanding how popular a movie is going to be I remember that Disney Infinity 1.0 not only released with a campaign for the Lone Ranger, they sold it seperately because it was just going to be that popular. Meanwhile the Frozen stuff was probably thrown in at the last second.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
To be fair to disney infinity, didn't they make disney infinity toys out of a majorifty of the disney films that were being made?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to be fair to disney infinity wasn't that a giant cynical copycat cash grab at that weird "dolls as game DLC" craze that's been going on, created with no more foresight than "this poo poo is making money right now", and disastrously unprofitable

kind of like if nintendo made a dozen collectible fidget spinner peripherals for the switch

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

To be fair to disney infinity, didn't they make disney infinity toys out of a majorifty of the disney films that were being made?

Sure, right up until it got shut down for overproducing figures nobody wanted. It was probably great for someone who wanted three different versions of Johnny Depp from three different bad movies.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

lol, but they'd probably just have no mention of it, like how there's been three Peter Pan worlds but Tinker Bell never tries to kill anyone out of spite.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Best spider lady:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Last Celebration posted:

lol, but they'd probably just have no mention of it, like how there's been three Peter Pan worlds but Tinker Bell never tries to kill anyone out of spite.

She was mean to Aqua in BBS.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

to be fair to disney infinity wasn't that a giant cynical copycat cash grab at that weird "dolls as game DLC" craze that's been going on, created with no more foresight than "this poo poo is making money right now", and disastrously unprofitable

kind of like if nintendo made a dozen collectible fidget spinner peripherals for the switch

Those Disney Infinity subgames remain Ninja Theory's best work, far and above everything else

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Sure, right up until it got shut down for overproducing figures nobody wanted. It was probably great for someone who wanted three different versions of Johnny Depp from three different bad movies.

IIRC, a dev who worked on disney infinity actually posts in this thread and the reason it went under wasn't that it wasn't successful but rather that it wasn't successful enough. Like, it was apparently making profit, but Disney was making more profit elsewhere so they stopped all work on the game to focus on the other stuff that was giving them more of a profit I guess.

I'm sure the dev (I wanna say it was mutata) will be able to correct me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

disney also basically did everything they could to make it unpopular. like they made hundreds of thousands of the blue space pirate guy from guardians of the galaxy and barely any rocket raccoon toys.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what they really needed to make were baby groot figures

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aren't Amiibo sales doing extremely well? Perhaps the best in the toys-to-life sector?

I remember seeing some E3 trailer this year where they showed folks attaching, like, huge starfighter figurines to their controllers for a game and I was like, hoo boy

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

Best spider lady:

I just scraped through that battle for the first time yesterday.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

IIRC, a dev who worked on disney infinity actually posts in this thread and the reason it went under wasn't that it wasn't successful but rather that it wasn't successful enough. Like, it was apparently making profit, but Disney was making more profit elsewhere so they stopped all work on the game to focus on the other stuff that was giving them more of a profit I guess.

I'm sure the dev (I wanna say it was mutata) will be able to correct me

I think to a big business there is no real difference between not successful and not successful enough.

Anyway my point is most of the time they have no idea if they're on to a hit or a flop.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Aren't Amiibo sales doing extremely well? Perhaps the best in the toys-to-life sector?

Success is relative, Amiibo are more or less the only game in town at this point but I don't think they ever reached the same heights as Skylanders.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Cowcaster posted:

Spinmiibo would sell like hotcakes and there would be thousands of nerds desperately camping preorders for the new Legend of Zelda spinner

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amiibo do well but they're marketed as limited things and Nintendo don't over produce. The one time they did (Animal Crossing for some unknown reason) they just sat on store shelves.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

exquisite tea posted:

Jim Sterling gave it a 10 because he apparently got a broken review build, haha.

Oh poo poo you weren't lying apparently he did give it a "1". And since his reviews are counted by Metacritic that seemingly hosed up the Meta Score until it was removed by his own request just a little while ago I guess?

Like I know we shouldn't care about MetaCritic, but I know a lot of devs certainly do because there are people who do care about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember seeing some E3 trailer this year where they showed folks attaching, like, huge starfighter figurines to their controllers for a game and I was like, hoo boy

That's for Ubisoft's No Man's Sky clone

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Andrast posted:

botw is literally the only game where I've gotten excited about exploring

All other open world games have felt worthless in that regard.

same and I'm confused why so many people get hung up about the combat system in a 3D Zelda. Combat has never been the focal point of 3D Zeldas, it could have had almost none in BotW and I'd still like it. Horizon was good for the combat tech but Zelda was good for the exploration and traversals, so if you don't care for one you can try the other

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I remember Ubisoft making their own version of the Vitality Sensor, the addon that Wii-era Nintendo apparently found too gimmicky.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't had much time for video games in the past couple of weeks but oh man is Pyre completely my poo poo. I love Supergiant Games's worlds and music and the atmosphere they tend to build but Pyre really is on a whole different level. I'm just completely fascinated by this game and I love it. I need to get better at the actual game part, though. So far I haven't lost any rites, but I'd like to start using the Titan Stars for bonus Enlightenment and I'm pretty sure turning even one of those on would lead to me getting thoroughly owned.

Also I was really caught by surprise by the first Liberation Rite and had to let go of a character I really like, but at least she's free now and happy :ohdear:

I want to know how much writing went into this game, though. For a smaller studio like Supergiant, a story that can branch so many different ways must be a massive undertaking. I can see why they went with the pseudo-voice acting fake language thing, it was definitely the right call here. I suspect it's not quite as huge of a divergence as it could be depending on when characters leave or what interactions you have with them, but there's still a lot that has to change.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 8, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

same and I'm confused why so many people get hung up about the combat system in a 3D Zelda. Combat has never been the focal point of 3D Zeldas, it could have had almost none in BotW and I'd still like it. Horizon was good for the combat tech but Zelda was good for the exploration and traversals, so if you don't care for one you can try the other

i don't get why people get dismissive of criticism about the combat. every Zelda game has combat and it's definitely a core part of the games whether or not it's the "focal point." rather than complaints about the combat itself, i think people are mostly saying it doesn't feel like a rewarding system to engage in, due to durability.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

i don't understand how "this part of a game has always been crappy, so it makes sense that it's still crappy" is supposed to be a point in a game's defense

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i don't understand how "this part of a game has always been crappy, so it makes sense that it's still crappy" is supposed to be a point in a game's defense

how is "not a focal point" equal "crappy?" seems like you already have your mind made up so god bless

dogsicle posted:

i don't get why people get dismissive of criticism about the combat. every Zelda game has combat and it's definitely a core part of the games whether or not it's the "focal point." rather than complaints about the combat itself, i think people are mostly saying it doesn't feel like a rewarding system to engage in, due to durability.

I've never gone into a Zelda thinking it'd focus more on combat over puzzles, if that's what you mean

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

botw is literally the only game where I've gotten excited about exploring

All other open world games have felt worthless in that regard.

Serf posted:

I really enjoyed the weapon system in BOTW after being convinced I would hate it. Weapon durability is something I usually hate in games, but scrambling around in Zelda, using your powers to knock a weapon away from an enemy and grab it, that's a really fun feeling.

Completely agreed on both of these points.

One of the things I loved the most about Breath of the Wild's exploration was the way the towers worked. At their core they're bog-standard Ubisoft towers, but one vital change makes them own: you mark the map yourself using your high vantage point to see cool things. That makes all the difference and it always felt really rewarding and fun to do. I seriously have no patience for aimless exploration in most open-world games, even The Witcher 3, just because most of the actually interesting things are already marked for me and the process of actually getting around isn't that interesting. But BotW makes the process of exploration fun in and of itself and that's pretty impressive.

And the weapon durability system really is completely necessary in BotW. I don't think the game would work as well without it. That's not to say all Zelda games need to carry it forward, just that, in BotW's specific case, it was the right call to implement it, especially because you can't repair your weapons.

dogsicle posted:

Combat in BotW definitely isn't "rewarding," in that you don't reliably come away from it with material rewards except against really strong enemies, but I think that's okay. It's a resource drain and it's supposed to be.

It's not the deepest combat system, but I had more fun with it than most 3D Zelda combat, and I definitely don't think it was bad. Like, I'd rather run around fighting things in BotW than The Witcher 3, for example. I'd never say "it's okay for the combat to be bad because it isn't the point," but I also don't think it's bad. It's definitely not the game's selling point, but I never thought it got in the way of my enjoyment and there were several times I actively enjoyed engaging with it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I got about 2 hours into H3llBlad3zZ before I had to get ready for work, long enough to kill the first boss. The atmosphere is super bleak and I'm enjoying the story so far. This is kind of a weird thing to say about a video game but the actress they got for Senua makes the whole setting work imho. She has some really striking features that balance beauty with creepiness. You can tell they put a lot of effort into the mocap work, it's all very emotive and well-done. I like the interplay between the voices in Sensua's head, it's an interesting way to drop hints about puzzles and foreshadow upcoming events without having pop-up tutorials distract you from the experience every 30 seconds. The puzzles are pretty standard fare that echo the theme of the area you're in. One of the first zones is the Realm of Illusion, so the puzzles all center around gates that change the appearance of a room and viewing rune fragments at a certain angle that allows you to see its whole shape. Not exactly mindblowing stuff, but more as a vehicle for exposition and lore about the Norse pantheon.

Something that will probably be controversial for many is the game's rot mechanic. Basically Senua can only die a limited number of times before you lose all progress and have to start from the beginning. The rot starts in Senua's hand and you have to complete the story before it reaches her head. The rot also spreads each time she kills a boss, apparently. However, I can say so far that the combat has not been very difficult at all. The button layout is similar to Shadow of Mordor. Senua gets a light attack, a heavy attack, a melee, and a dodge. She can also block attacks with her sword and if you do this within a certain window she also gets off a parry. Besides the bosses who have unique attack patterns, evil viking dudes spawn in groups of 2-3 and have pretty forgiving tells. There's nothing outright bad about the combat, and Senua controls fine. It's just kind of "there" and probably the weakest element to the whole game. I think I would have preferred it if they just saved the combat encounters for bosses only as the one I've encountered so far was a lot more fun to fight than the cannon fodder dudes.

It's a pretty weirdly unique game, I don't think I've ever quite played anything quite like it. But I like the visuals, the environments and the storytelling, so I'm excited to continue.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's like five puzzles in botw repeated 50x each. put apple at shrine. put block on wall. put ball in hole. lift up rock

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

oddium posted:

there's like five puzzles in botw repeated 50x each. put apple at shrine. put block on wall. put ball in hole. lift up rock

Okay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

combat is absolutely a system breath of the wild expects you to focus on repeatedly and one of the most iconic images of the series is the sword link uses exclusively for combat, and the most recurring items in the series are ones that have both a combat and puzzle-sovling use, and skyward sword had an entire control scheme and peripheral dedicated solely to combat control, and one of the most recurring fetch quests in the series, the hunt for hearts, is tied exclusively to making combat easier, and almost every major sidequest in the series has a reward that ties into combat strength, and the final event of every game in the series is a fight

combat is not the sole focus of zelda but saying it isn't a core focus is moronic. puzzle, combat has been the flow of the series since ocarina of time and has time has gone on they've emphasized combat more and more. its absolutely one of the core features of the series.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

Couldn't you say that about most Zelda games? Push block, shoot obvious target, that kind of thing? It's all in how you string those actions together.

I wouldn't say BotW has the best Zelda puzzles by a long shot, but it has flashes of brilliance in a few of the shrines where all those little actions come together to form good and fun puzzles. Maybe not extremely difficult ones, but fun ones that feel good to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

them: ah. botw. the purest form of discovery. curiosity runs wild across the plains of hyrule. exploration, for exploration's sake...

me [insanely calm, and cute] the weapon durability system sucks

them [extremely shook]: if you had one weapon the whole time you wouldn't use any others. you need to be forced to try new things it's good. you would just grab an endgame weapon and not explore

• Locked thread