Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Every weapon is a endgame weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Junior Jr. posted:

Actually you have a limited number of deaths in Hellblade, if you die too many times you lose all your progress and start over. So if you get to a boss fight, you better know what the hell you're doing or you'll have to waste a couple hours just to try that section again.

Imagine if Dark Souls had permadeath, as if it wasn't already frustrating enough.

haha yeah no the combat is nowhere near as complicated as dark souls and the bosses are pretty easy actually

maybe play it and see for yourself???

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
More games need a Path of the Hero mode, it's cool seeing what parts of the map I never set foot on despite play for over 175 hours.

I got to one of the last levels on the Master Sword trial and then got killed by a frost rock monster and haven't gone back to it yet, eventually I will, probably when the story DLC drops in a few months.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Combat in BOTW is kind of on the same same level as combat in The Witcher 3. Neither of them have the best combat mechanics but there is more nuance than them being bad.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Combat in BOTW is kind of on the same same level as combat in The Witcher 3. Neither of them have the best combat mechanics but there is more nuance than them being bad.

Naw theres just a subset of folks here that think any action game without souls combat is bad.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Eurogamer rated Hellblade "Essential".

There's too many good games this year :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I am going to wait for hellblade to be 20 bucks in a couple months. I have way to much to play.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

them: ah. botw. the purest form of discovery. curiosity runs wild across the plains of hyrule. exploration, for exploration's sake...

me [insanely calm, and cute] the weapon durability system sucks

them [extremely shook]: if you had one weapon the whole time you wouldn't use any others. you need to be forced to try new things it's good. you would just grab an endgame weapon and not explore

*gets shook, sputters in incoherent rage*

(okay fine I'll take the bait) It's not because of exploration: it's because you could grab an endgame weapon super early and then steamroll everything and no other item you find would be valuable at all, which would suck some of the fun out of exploration. Part of the joy is how you're always finding things to play with, and they always have value because you always need resources. Without that, the game would still be fun and the exploration would still be fun, but it'd be missing some of the extra spice, that's all.

Weapon durability means the game can let you get super awesome endgame weapons right away, confident that eventually you'll be hungry for more because they can break. Maybe making them so easily accessible was a mistake, since I know some people have said they just kept doing Hyrule Castle runs for more every time they broke and totally defeated the purpose of it, but I don't think the answer is that the durability system shouldn't have been there.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Norns posted:

I am going to wait for hellblade to be 20 bucks in a couple months. I have way to much to play.

Yeah, I'll probably do the same. Still gotta finish Persona 5, Dishonored 2 and Long Dark

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's actually any game without Bayonetta combat is bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah if it doesn't have Souls combat it better have Platinum, otherwise it's wasting its time

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dark Souls would have been better if my character orgasmed through murdering rats.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Norns posted:

i mean its 30 bucks now

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Viewtiful Joe has the best combat and coincidentally was the last game I was good at.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Harrow posted:

*gets shook, sputters in incoherent rage*

(okay fine I'll take the bait) It's not because of exploration: it's because you could grab an endgame weapon super early and then steamroll everything and no other item you find would be valuable at all, which would suck some of the fun out of exploration. Part of the joy is how you're always finding things to play with, and they always have value because you always need resources. Without that, the game would still be fun and the exploration would still be fun, but it'd be missing some of the extra spice, that's all.

Weapon durability means the game can let you get super awesome endgame weapons right away, confident that eventually you'll be hungry for more because they can break. Maybe making them so easily accessible was a mistake, since I know some people have said they just kept doing Hyrule Castle runs for more every time they broke and totally defeated the purpose of it, but I don't think the answer is that the durability system shouldn't have been there.

actually it sucks. the zelda weapon durability sucks

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
weapons on the whole should definitely have a higher durability rate but the system itself is good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven't played Zelda BotW but I think I'd be in the "durability is bad" camp, just because I suffer from acute "this consumable is too good to use" syndrome

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you get the master sword and it breaks too. it's called something else like ran out of evil fighting juice but it's the same mechanic

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Zelda durability is good and makes combat more interesting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

One of the things I loved the most about Breath of the Wild's exploration was the way the towers worked. At their core they're bog-standard Ubisoft towers, but one vital change makes them own: you mark the map yourself using your high vantage point to see cool things. That makes all the difference and it always felt really rewarding and fun to do. I seriously have no patience for aimless exploration in most open-world games, even The Witcher 3, just because most of the actually interesting things are already marked for me and the process of actually getting around isn't that interesting. But BotW makes the process of exploration fun in and of itself and that's pretty impressive.

Again, I mentioned this exact thing in my first post because out of all the things in BOTW, this is one of the things that feels so much bound up in different personalities to the point where I think it might be like a colorblind thing where we see the world completely differently and things are completely incommensurable and even reasoned language cannot traverse the gap because this thing about placing the markers on the map yourself makes no difference to me. If it does make a difference, it probably makes things worse. I hate the exploration in Breath of the Wild so much. I feel no joy in it, no discovery, it is a landscape of empty wastes and scattered variables. It is desolation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I haven't played Zelda BotW but I think I'd be in the "durability is bad" camp, just because I suffer from acute "this consumable is too good to use" syndrome

For me, I ended up thinking of it like weapon ammo in a modern FPS where you carry a limited number of guns. Like how I might have certain guns I like better than others in Halo, but if I'm out of ammo for them and nobody's dropping that kind of ammo I have to switch to something else. Weapons in BotW are basically a resource, rather than equipment. Armor doesn't have durability, thankfully, because that would be a pain in the rear end.

The real system I don't like in BotW is armor upgrading. Even if it's done in an amusing way, it's just kind of a pain and doesn't really gel with the rest of the game, in my opinion.

oddium posted:

no u suck

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

combat is absolutely a system breath of the wild expects you to focus on repeatedly and one of the most iconic images of the series is the sword link uses exclusively for combat, and the most recurring items in the series are ones that have both a combat and puzzle-sovling use, and skyward sword had an entire control scheme and peripheral dedicated solely to combat control, and one of the most recurring fetch quests in the series, the hunt for hearts, is tied exclusively to making combat easier, and almost every major sidequest in the series has a reward that ties into combat strength, and the final event of every game in the series is a fight

combat is not the sole focus of zelda but saying it isn't a core focus is moronic. puzzle, combat has been the flow of the series since ocarina of time and has time has gone on they've emphasized combat more and more. its absolutely one of the core features of the series.

I'll admit running out of swords in the final battle is extremely bad. bringing up skyward sword though, that's probably the opposite end of the spectrum. controls that work 90% of the time versus things that break

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hate the exploration in Breath of the Wild so much. I feel no joy in it, no discovery, it is a landscape of empty wastes and scattered variables. It is desolation.

jesus christ why even bother playing this game then, probably should have mentioned this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

you get the master sword and it breaks too. it's called something else like ran out of evil fighting juice but it's the same mechanic

Yes but it also recharges, and the whole point is that you're only supposed to use it against Ganon's biggest, baddest minions, because its damage doubles and its durability is multiplied by a huge amount in those cases. It will basically never run out of durability in dungeons or in Hyrule Castle, which is where you're supposed to use it so that it doesn't totally invalidate every other weapon you find.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The real reason why I'm not buying any other games this month is because Mario XCOM and the actual XCOM expansion come out in the same week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having just started BOTW, maybe 10 or so hours in, I feel like weapon durability is only a problem in the first hour or two when your inventory is small and the weapons are weak enough that they break every other encounter. It has since stopped being a problem since I always pick up 1-2 decent weapons every encounter which means I am constantly able to rotate weapons in and out without ever being low or having to worry about hanging to good poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Norns posted:

Naw theres just a subset of folks here that think any action game without souls combat is bad.

Chicks with Bows (CWB) is the golden standard I hold all other combat systems to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A whole number percentage, maybe 3 or even 4 percent, of my playing Breath of the Wild is seeing Link slowly climb up poo poo and hoping that the meter doesn't run out or thinking about whether I need to cook more stamina food and hoping it doesn't start raining when I'm 90 percent of the way up the cliff

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Chicks with Bows (CWB) is the golden standard I hold all other combat systems to.

Horizon owns

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Having just started BOTW, maybe 10 or so hours in, I feel like weapon durability is only a problem in the first hour or two when your inventory is small and the weapons are weak enough that they break every other encounter. It has since stopped being a problem since I always pick up 1-2 decent weapons every encounter which means I am constantly able to rotate weapons in and out without ever being low or having to worry about hanging to good poo poo.

I will say that weapon durability is way too punishing early on. It does not feel fun for the first few hours of the game, and that's a legitimate problem because first impressions matter.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

for the record weapon durability is in no way a problem or a nusiance because of the insane amount of drops you find. it's just pointless and that makes it bad design

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

If you think the durability system is pointless your brain is broken

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i had a pile of my favorite weapons ready to constantly. the durability system might as well not have been there. it sucks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Norns posted:

Horizon owns

Horizon released on almost the same exact date as Diablo 1's 20th anniversary, featuring the OG Chick with Bow (Rogue). Coincidence?!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I like to horde items for no reason in games so the durability system sucks!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm now curious, what game is the ultimate hording simulator

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like to burn endgame weapons on a single useless imp and it still sounds like the durability system sucks in zelda. and i like some games with durability systems.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well, i like at least one game with a durability system.

edit: two

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Using items is cool.

Also the Gilgamesh fight in FFXII owns super hard.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Norns posted:

I like to horde items for no reason in games so the durability system sucks!

are you supposed to not upgrade your inventory and also ignore the hundreds of weapons all over the ground. is that what i did wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I do like the little touches the durability system adds, like hitting an enemy with the breaking hit of a weapon's durability does double damage. And a lot of the later items have pretty absurd durability, in addition to a lot of ++durability modifiers showing up on basically everything later. It got to the point that I was rolling with mostly lynel gear because they just didn't break often enough, except when fighting silver lynels due to their insane health.

Once you get 4 or so extra weapon slots from the fat korok dude it becomes pretty hard to run out of weapons, and only costs like 30 korok seeds total

oddium posted:

the quality of your posting is blinking red, better be careful

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A whole number percentage, maybe 3 or even 4 percent, of my playing Breath of the Wild is seeing Link slowly climb up poo poo and hoping that the meter doesn't run out or thinking about whether I need to cook more stamina food and hoping it doesn't start raining when I'm 90 percent of the way up the cliff
Have you not found any of the climbing gear yet? You should look up where to get the set pieces then, since climbing is such a core part of the game it really makes a huge difference in enjoyability. Also get more stamina wheel ticks.

• Locked thread