Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Static Shock was a very cheesy show aimed at younger kids and subtle as a brick, but this bit holds up remarkably well in an impressionistic sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V7a2pxeNeE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other cartoons from my childhood (also sort of on the "gross out" spectrum, but not exactly) which I haven't really seen since then but which I'm pretty sure wouldn't hold up include Cow & Chicken, 2 Stupid Dogs and (when I was a little older) Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy.

There was actually one really memorable episode of the last one, where they set out to learn everything about the world and end up playing around with cartoon physics (picking up holes off the ground, pulling peoples' mouths off, stealing one character's outline so he dissolved into a puddle etc.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
EEE is definitely the odd one out of that list; it's generally considered to have aged pretty drat well. One of those shows where they kinda sidestep datedness/setting issues by having everything be randomly anachronistic with technology and culture all the time, though the lack of phones and internet are still a giveaway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"Sister City", the Parks and Recreation episode with the visitors from Venezuela, is REALLY awkward now.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

EEE is definitely the odd one out of that list; it's generally considered to have aged pretty drat well. One of those shows where they kinda sidestep datedness/setting issues by having everything be randomly anachronistic with technology and culture all the time, though the lack of phones and internet are still a giveaway.

By the time ed edd and eddie came out I was definitely on the internet a lot and I was probably around the age they were supposed to be depicted as

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

EEE was still being made by people who didn't know how those things affected childhood yet.

Also I don't care how much people hate it for being edgy, but I love the EEE theory that the whole show is some weird purgatory and every kid is someone on that cul de sac who died at a different time point during the 20th Century.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Yes Minister/Yes, Prime Minister is still really good. Police Squad. And if Scrubs is far enough back to be considered then also Farscape and Daria.

I've only started watching Yes Minister recently and it's incredibly prescient, the databases episode could be from this year.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

"Sister City", the Parks and Recreation episode with the visitors from Venezuela, is REALLY awkward now.
It was always one of the show's worst episodes, arguably the worst.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You forgot season 1.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mind the walrus posted:

EEE was still being made by people who didn't know how those things affected childhood yet.

Also I don't care how much people hate it for being edgy, but I love the EEE theory that the whole show is some weird purgatory and every kid is someone on that cul de sac who died at a different time point during the 20th Century.

It is one of those shows where every character basically has their own aesthetic, with Ed's grungy horror-obsessed deal being something out of the early to mid 90s, while Eddy's room and preferred decor is very 70s. (And not even starting on Rolf) Kevin is very outdoorsy 90s as well. Though I like to think Eddy just has a bunch of his parents' old 70s stuff they were going to throw out and took a liking to it.

Also notable given it's a show that very strictly sticks to its economy cast; the only animated characters on-screen are the cul-de-sac kids, the Kankers and Rolf's livestock. Even when they have episodes in school, only the cul-de-sac kids are ever seen. The only exception is the movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FactsAreUseless posted:

There is one where Leslie dresses like Clinton that is anti comedy

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
EEE also has a really weirdly satisfying conclusion. Considering it was a dumb absurdist comedy series the movie that ended it actually finished on a shockingly :unsmith: note.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This fan-image gives context to the EEE Purgatory theory and makes a great deal of sense:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

mind the walrus posted:

This fan-image gives context to the EEE Purgatory theory and makes a great deal of sense:

...does it? Does it really?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As much as anything else on that show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I can't loving stand those stupid "HEY YOU KNOW THIS CARTOON? LEMMEE TELL YOU HOW IT'S REALLY ABOUT DEAD KIDS/KID IN A COMA/DEMONS/HELL." It's the laziest poo poo in the world.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Volcott posted:

You forgot season 1.
Hence "arguably." Season 1 is real bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

I can't loving stand those stupid "HEY YOU KNOW THIS CARTOON? LEMMEE TELL YOU HOW IT'S REALLY ABOUT DEAD KIDS/KID IN A COMA/DEMONS/HELL." It's the laziest poo poo in the world.

I remember reading one 10+ years ago which said that Ash was put in a coma when Pikachu shocked him in the first episode of Pokémon and the entire series is him hallucinating. It was sort of funny, then it got to stuff like, "Brock obviously represents Ash's repressed homosexuality, which caused his abusive father, Giovanni, to reject him," which was a bit try-hard, then it got into this miserable fanfiction about how his mother has to switch off his life support.

But the funniest thing about it was that someone - rather than rolling their eyes and closing the page like a sensible person would - took it seriously enough to write this rambling, asinine rebuttal that was even longer than the original thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's true for Sesame Street by way of John Munch, so why can't it be true for other shows?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

EmmyOk posted:

I've only started watching Yes Minister recently and it's incredibly prescient, the databases episode could be from this year.

Only 2 months ago, I sent an email to someone and used the phrase "wasn't this the plot of 'Yes Minister' episode?" and I was referring to this one.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yes we know. There is always someone who posts this every time it comes up. EEE is the one show where I think that interpretation enhances things instead of being an adolescent attempt to add gravitas to an animated marketing enterprise.

Arivia posted:

It's true for Sesame Street by way of John Munch, so why can't it be true for other shows?
When I die I hope the first thing I see is John Munch.

Also Sesame Street is about the Ghetto y'all. Dave Chapelle's old bit about Oscar is kind-of lame, but the assessment that Sesame Street is a shithole city neighborhood is accurate. They deliberately chose that environment to appeal to inner-city kids, showing that such an environment could be wholesome and worthwhile.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only thing that has aged in The Thick of It is when they had to write out a character who told Nonce jokes because his real-life actor went to prison for possession of CP. "I look like a disgraced Geography teacher."

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_FrQnQv0Vw

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's autistic children with snowglobes all the way down.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only thing that has aged in The Thick of It is when they had to write out a character who told Nonce jokes because his real-life actor went to prison for possession of CP. "I look like a disgraced Geography teacher."

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_FrQnQv0Vw
In the Loop aged really well too. The whole thing is 2004 as all gently caress (yes it was made in 2009), but it works so well on that level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGZinTeodc
Gandolfini sparring with Capaldi is one of my favorite scenes of anything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If we see John Munch when we die, who does Richard Belzer see?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Arivia posted:

If we see John Munch when we die, who does Richard Belzer see?

Fade to black, executive producer dick wolf.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volcott posted:

Fade to black, executive producer dick wolf.

Incredible. :allears:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not a TV show, but the "Long Duck Dong" poo poo from "Sixteen Candles" is really hard to watch these days, as well as the drunken rape of the prom queen. I don't like that movie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Hahahaha, maybe to you, you loving nerd, Jesus Christ.

Ah, sorry. I just find the 'oh poo poo, everyone was dead/ in a coma all along, theory to be the dumbest thing.

Anyone recently watch Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy lately? I'd imagine that one probably falls somewhere between Flapjack and Codename KND.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

It is one of those shows where every character basically has their own aesthetic, with Ed's grungy horror-obsessed deal being something out of the early to mid 90s, while Eddy's room and preferred decor is very 70s. (And not even starting on Rolf) Kevin is very outdoorsy 90s as well. Though I like to think Eddy just has a bunch of his parents' old 70s stuff they were going to throw out and took a liking to it.

Also notable given it's a show that very strictly sticks to its economy cast; the only animated characters on-screen are the cul-de-sac kids, the Kankers and Rolf's livestock. Even when they have episodes in school, only the cul-de-sac kids are ever seen. The only exception is the movie.

Eddy is super in the 70s because he has a 20's something older brother he idolizes, and steals/get handed down a ton of junk the older brother doesn't want anymore. This comes up several times. Everyone else but Rolf (the weird Yakov Smirnoff take on the foreign kid is cringy as hell most of the time) is just a confused 90s kid. The purgatory thing is just dumb. I do think its a pretty good show for what it is though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Not a TV show, but the "Long Duck Dong" poo poo from "Sixteen Candles" is really hard to watch these days, as well as the drunken rape of the prom queen. I don't like that movie.

Hey now, we don't know if Farmer Ted got anywhere. They were still dressed and passed out in a convertible with the top down.

But yeah, that whole movie is one terrible stereotype and there was so much drunk driving back then.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Hahahaha, maybe to you, you loving nerd, Jesus Christ.

Ah, sorry. I just find the 'oh poo poo, everyone was dead/ in a coma all along, theory to be the dumbest thing.

mind the walrus posted:

Yes we know. There is are always someone two people who posts post this every time it comes up. EEE is the one show where I think that interpretation enhances things instead of being an adolescent attempt to add gravitas to an animated marketing enterprise.

----------------------

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of John Landis/John Hughes stuff is really retrograde, but that's not TV-related really. The Animal House scene where the frat boy has a literal devil/angel shoulder debate about loving a passed-out drunk girl at a part--whom we later find out is very underage--is downright ghastly. I can't imagine what they thought wasn't appropriate to depict frat boy heroes doing if that made the final cut.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

Yes we know. There is always someone who posts this every time it comes up. EEE is the one show where I think that interpretation enhances things instead of being an adolescent attempt to add gravitas to an animated marketing enterprise.

Nah it's just as monumentally lame as every other 'poo poo man this kids show is so loving dark maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan' intepretation.

Yeah dude, the characters are all dead kids from various decades because they wear clothes that, if you sorta kinda squint and turn your head and bullshit a bit, look like clothes from that decade. Why can't it just be an artistic choice and not ~dead kids in a spoooooooooooky purgatory woooooooooo~

Did you ever see the lost episode where the Kanker Sisters reveal they're all demons and then kill the kids in bloody ways while backwards chanting plays?

The only time that the whole~creepy lost children's show~ worked was Candle Cove/Channel Zero and that's because it was actually subtle.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only thing the "they're all dead" theory works for is the comic strip Beatle Bailey.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone else see that episode of Courage the Cowardly dog where hyper-realistic blood started shooting out of Courage's eyeballs and Muriel was a corpse and my television started leaking rivers of blood from the outlet and it killed my parents?

Anyway, we're all trapped in the matrix.

Being serious again, does Gargoyles still hold up? I never got into it, because by the time I got Disney XD-or whatever the second channel was called- to watch it, they were already on like, episode 87 or something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Nah it's just as monumentally lame as every other 'poo poo man this kids show is so loving dark maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan' intepretation.

Yeah dude, the characters are all dead kids from various decades because they wear clothes that, if you sorta kinda squint and turn your head and bullshit a bit, look like clothes from that decade. Why can't it just be an artistic choice and not ~dead kids in a spoooooooooooky purgatory woooooooooo~

Did you ever see the lost episode where the Kanker Sisters reveal they're all demons and then kill the kids in bloody ways while backwards chanting plays?
None of those outfits in the fanart are what the characters wear dude. Also y'know, analysis and reinterpretation can be fun. I hear humans have been doing it for a while to make new art.

quote:

The only time that the whole~creepy lost children's show~ worked was Candle Cove/Channel Zero and that's because it was actually subtle.
Candle Cove's puppets featured a main character called "The Skin-Taker" who wears clothes of human skin.

And the show devolves into diet Stephen King--almost instantly after the first episode.

Subtlety:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone else see that episode of Courage the Cowardly dog where hyper-realistic blood started shooting out of Courage's eyeballs and Muriel was a corpse and my television started leaking rivers of blood from the outlet and it killed my parents?

Uh, yeah. That was like every third episode.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, we're all trapped in the matrix.

Being serious again, does Gargoyles still hold up? I never got into it, because by the time I got Disney XD-or whatever the second channel was called- to watch it, they were already on like, episode 87 or something.

Give it 3 episodes. I'd say it's still good, but the world tour arc that's like 50 episodes deep does drag on a bit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

None of those outfits in the fanart are what the characters wear dude. Also y'know, analysis and reinterpretation can be fun. I hear humans have been doing it for a while to make new art.

Candle Cove's puppets featured a main character called "The Skin-Taker" who wears clothes of human skin.

And the show devolves into diet Stephen King--almost instantly after the first episode.

Subtlety:

Ah yes truly not as artful as " ed edd and eddy are in hell " or the classic " ash from Pokemon is autistic and pikachu isn't real"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mind the walrus posted:

----------------------
The Animal House scene where the frat boy has a literal devil/angel shoulder debate about loving a passed-out drunk girl at a part--whom we later find out is very underage--is downright ghastly. I can't imagine what they thought wasn't appropriate to depict frat boy heroes doing if that made the final cut.

That scene crossed my mind too but I didn't want to get into derailing by listing too many movies. But, yeah, the Animal House scene is awful.