Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Dr Cheeto posted:

I was using the Octobrush, is the Paintbrush a quicker kill? I know it's smaller and has a little less range, what's the upside?

The paintbrush is slightly faster in movement and a little bit more ink efficent. It also (obviously) has separate subs and supers.
Octo is more beginner friendly but I've seen some crazy good paintbrush users who know how to get in point blank and not die doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Gorp posted:

Freshness is wonky as hell. I win 7 ranked games in a row but can't win a single turf war because my weapons of choice (Jet Squelcher/Dynamo) aren't effective there.
I still hit the top of the boards but it's not enough, though to be honest I would rather take my bad luck there.

Oh yeah? I think maybe it depends a lot on the maps. Just did a few TWs trying out the jet squelcher this morning and had great success, both personally and for team victories. If you're on the maps with good verticality, like Moray or Main Stage, JS is nearly untouchable.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
You make fair points Manky. I may just not have the proper mentality or map awareness when it comes to that mode.
I have a bad habit of just switching to the Dualie Squelchers for Turf War because faster coverage and the ability to adapt to zoning/rushdown as needed.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Morning long losing streak. I am dryyyyyy.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
The most liberating part of hitting level 30 is the knowledge that becoming fresh with weapons no longer means anything.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Does Ink Armor automatically jump to all living teammates, or do they have to be standing nearby?

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
All living team mates.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My stance remains unchanged about charger s being 99% useless in rainmaker after a couple years of this game. Occasionally one actually can handle the chaos as is but the huge bulk of them try to do their camp thing and are mostly dead wait.

Also a lot of them never pick up the rainmaker, furthering their lameness.

Every single one last night lost their matches in my games. The folks with the jet squelchers had a good time hmmmm

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Tried the rapid blaster with the land mine sub in some splat zones matches earlier today. I've never been a blaster fan but it was really fun

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

snipers being dead weight below a certain skill level is a pretty classic problem in team shooters, not even the great Nintendo can solve it

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

LethalGeek posted:

My stance remains unchanged about charger s being 99% useless in rainmaker after a couple years of this game. Occasionally one actually can handle the chaos as is but the huge bulk of them try to do their camp thing and are mostly dead wait.

Also a lot of them never pick up the rainmaker, furthering their lameness.

Every single one last night lost their matches in my games. The folks with the jet squelchers had a good time hmmmm

I'm hoping the bamboozler might change this dynamic with it's super quick charge time, but I'm not counting on it

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tales of Woe posted:

snipers being dead weight below a certain skill level is a pretty classic problem in team shooters, not even the great Nintendo can solve it

Remove snipers. :colbert:

There's always a problem balancing weapons that can instant kill at uncounterable distances and up close.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Remember this art?
https://twitter.com/hizake/status/884345810049159168

Well, they've drawn a lot more stuff, some of it crossovers, and it looks really cool, even if not all of it is as colorful as the game is.
https://twitter.com/hizake/status/882610936405647360
https://twitter.com/hizake/status/892377431218077697
https://twitter.com/hizake/status/893832473926221824
https://twitter.com/hizake/status/893433021239447552

Their tumblr for even more art.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 8, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The octobrush and inkbrush are similar enough that any skill you have with one will be fully applicable with the other. Which you use should be based on how useful the sub and special are gonna be in a given map/mode.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Re: chargers in ranked, I don't disagree, but did have one positive experience in one of the first dual League battles I played. Iirc I was going Nzap and my buddy was going splat roller, and we got paired with two chargers for rainmaker. We groaned and expected the worst, ended up winning the match with a KO. To their credit, our chargers did a great job of splatting anyone who came onto our side of the map, and actually moved forward(!!!) to provide cover when my bud and me were making end runs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd put the issue with bad Charger-users in Ranked at the feet of bad players rather than a bad weapon type, to be honest.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I saw a drawing the other day which was a 3 point manifesto from the artist:

1) no more disconnects
2) group with higher ranked players
3) don't expect me to carry

You have to admire the ego.

CautionaryOstrich
Mar 20, 2009
Pillbug
I didn't see anything in the OP, is there an official group for players? Wouldn't mind playing with some groups, I've only got a single friend that plays and he generally tries to run everyone over with the roller while never throwing ink...

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

gently caress snipers, it's a poo poo and boring class to play and they always ruin games. A bad sniper means you're a man down. Even if it's a good sniper, another (good) class would be far more useful to the team anyway.

Thankfully they don't seem to be as prevalent in Splatoon compared to say, Overwatch. With TF2 your teams were generally large enough that a bad sniper wasn't such a death knell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was looking up at the clouds in the square and wondering what happens to inklings when it rains.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chargers who only play as snipers aren't using their weapon properly.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I think Blizzard got it right with Hanzo, he's a sniper with a relatively low skill level so the snipebros can play a sniper but actually contribute to the team at the same time.

The real solution would be to not make any chargers available until, say, level 15, but it's too late for that now.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

I think Blizzard got it right with Hanzo, he's a sniper with a relatively low skill level so the snipebros can play a sniper but actually contribute to the team at the same time.

The real solution would be to not make any chargers available until, say, level 15, but it's too late for that now.

Well, Snipers have been an issue in drat near every game I've played, because they're extremely high burst damage at all distances ranging from close up to their max distance. One of the more successful attempts at balancing them I've seen is reducing their burst and increasing their ability to deal damage in a more continuous way, usually with higher rates of fire and lower damage per shot. But fundamentally, Snipers as a concept are problematic for most games, especially those with low team sizes and small maps.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lelandjs posted:

wasn't Hanzo pretty much the quintessential useless sniper? did they make him easier to play since release? he definitely never contributed to my teams in that game other than his ultimate unless there was a savant playing him.

I think the splatoon charger is easier to use than any of the Overwatch snipers and yet it's still a trap for most players.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hanzo/Widow suck but luckily most modes make it so that there's only one of each character per team.

Ana is cool because she can heal teammates via shooting which is awesome in a team game.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

well why not posted:

I saw a drawing the other day which was a 3 point manifesto from the artist:

1) no more disconnects
2) group with higher ranked players
3) don't expect me to carry

You have to admire the ego.

I saw a post that was practically an essay teaching people tips about salmon run. Their tip to use the laser special to insta-kill the jetpack salmonids was actually really useful.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah that's a solid tip, it makes it much easier to deal with.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

wasn't Hanzo pretty much the quintessential useless sniper? did they make him easier to play since release? he definitely never contributed to my teams in that game other than his ultimate unless there was a savant playing him.

I think the splatoon charger is easier to use than any of the Overwatch snipers and yet it's still a trap for most players.

Yeah I think in my several hundreds of hours playing Overwatch I've had maybe 2 or 3 matches where I've thought "Wow that Hanzo really made a valuable contribution to this team".

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm going to play Splatoon 2 for several hundreds of hours

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Onean posted:

Their tumblr for even more art.

this guy sure does want to stitch huge titties on these kid squids

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I was looking up at the clouds in the square and wondering what happens to inklings when it rains.

Probably the same thing with non Blue Pikmin, they don't seem to care about it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DLC Inc posted:

this guy the internet sure does want to stitch huge titties on these kid squids everything

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's like Devil Fruits in One Piece, running water doesn't affect you but still bodies of water do.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey you know what

gently caress the tri slosher

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

hey you know what

hey you know what

gently caress you

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

hey you know what

Took one to a turf war fight, went 12-0 on splats with how one sided it is. Did tower control, only thing splatting me was other tri sloshers. This thing's range and coverage is insane.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've gotten to where I can regularly bomb, recharge, bomb and kill flyfish in one go alone. If I don't get swarmed by fry, at least

Jarogue posted:

Probably the same thing with non Blue Pikmin, they don't seem to care about it.

Good point. Never thought about that.

and man a raindrop is BIG to a Pikmin!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Tengames posted:

Took one to a turf war fight, went 12-0 on splats with how one sided it is. Did tower control, only thing splatting me was other tri sloshers. This thing's range and coverage is insane.

i just did two games against a tri slosher in splat zones. even with a splattershot i did not have range on this guy. he also covers more ground than me, can kill me in less hits, and has an arguably better special. high and low ground mean nothing to a slosher when he can just lob some ink up a ledge haphazardly and still get his kills.

crushing defeats

i either need to start embracing splattershot pros and squelchers or become part of the problem

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Yeah, the trislosher has "the same" range as a splattershot. Except the way sloshers work it actually has greater range. It also has slightly faster time to kill, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Kaubocks posted:

high and low ground mean nothing to a slosher when he can just lob some ink up a ledge haphazardly and still get his kills.

Well yeah that's the point of the weapon. It's meant for tossing ink onto/from/over ledges.