Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

oddium posted:

are you supposed to not upgrade your inventory and also ignore the hundreds of weapons all over the ground. is that what i did wrong

I don't know how to fix your brain I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Again, I mentioned this exact thing in my first post because out of all the things in BOTW, this is one of the things that feels so much bound up in different personalities to the point where I think it might be like a colorblind thing where we see the world completely differently and things are completely incommensurable and even reasoned language cannot traverse the gap because this thing about placing the markers on the map yourself makes no difference to me. If it does make a difference, it probably makes things worse. I hate the exploration in Breath of the Wild so much. I feel no joy in it, no discovery, it is a landscape of empty wastes and scattered variables. It is desolation.

I didn't see that post.

It probably is just a massive difference in perspective, then. For what it's worth, I actually don't terribly mind the Ubisoft towers--I think they're tired at this point, but if the process of climbing in a game is fun, then I want to do that anyway, so I don't mind climbing the tallest thing around just because I "have" to. That's the same for me in BotW: I like climbing, so I'm gonna climb those towers and look around whether I want to or not.

I'm having a hard time seeing the desolation, I guess. I admit there isn't a long list of the kinds of things you can find, but I found something really satisfying about just going out and finding those things anyway. I liked looking for shrines or cool geography and marking them from the tower, then going out to go see them. I think I would've had a bit less fun if the map just filled in with a bunch of shrine and point-of-interest icons when I got to the top of a tower. They key for me is that, if I saw some geography that looked kind of interesting, chances are there was something there, and I was probably going to have at least a bit of fun getting there in the first place.

But honestly, if the exploration isn't clicking with you, I don't think anyone would judge you for putting it down. Exploration is the absolute core of the game and if you're not enjoying that, I doubt the rest of the game is going to bring you enough joy to justify the time spent with it.

oddium posted:

i had a pile of my favorite weapons ready to constantly. the durability system might as well not have been there. it sucks

I'll say this: it's too easy to break. By the time you can consistently kill the shrine guardians, for example, you can just always have a steady supply of ++ level guardian weapons and it only takes a couple minutes to go get more if you want them. And that does defeat the purpose, and I kept doing it anyway because I like cool laser weapons.

That said, I prefer it to the likely alternative, in which you can't find super-cool late-game weapons early on at all because of the balance problems they'd cause, and in which you probably wouldn't have any reason to pick up and use enemy weapons. Maybe it's because I love Wind Waker so much, but it was exciting for me to see its "pick up dropped enemy weapons and use them" system actually used for something rather than being a sort of forgotten gimmick. I liked that I had a reason to pick up and use enemy weapons, and I kept doing it all the way to the end because the endgame bokoblin weapons were still stronger than the non-glowing Master Sword. I guess maybe the game could've had Diablo-style random loot so you want to pick up enemy weapons, but then I'd be stopping to look at stats constantly and that would suuuuuuuuck.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DLC Inc posted:

I'm now curious, what game is the ultimate hording simulator

Almost certainly Diablo 2: LoD with its ethereal weapons you'd have to hoard in your stash until you found aka botted a zod rune for them.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lol "found" a zod rune.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the ultimate hoarding simulator is Katamari Damacy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the camera was really the best part of the game. rework botw to be 100% about filling out the ww figurine gallery. now you got a goty

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

The new Fallout games have a weight limit to (I'm assuming) encourage you to only collect things that are valuable to you but it seems like everbody just collects literal garbage.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phantasium posted:

the ultimate hoarding simulator is Katamari Damacy

poo poo this is it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

the camera was really the best part of the game. rework botw to be 100% about filling out the ww figurine gallery. now you got a goty

speaking of goty i hope ruiner comes out soon

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

precision posted:

but also it's current year, why does there need to be a sexy lady

You underestimate the cultural endurance and marketability of the libido

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is an alarming abundance of sexy spider ladies in video games. It's kind of thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As much as I loved Persona 5 and BotW, Pyre is a strong contender for my GOTY.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Does Madame Web count as a Sexy Spider Lady?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Slime Rancher is good, y'all. I've got a bunch of happy little tabbies and phosphor slimes bouncing around and they're cute as heck and I love them.

These rock slimes are real good too but they're a bunch of rowdy chaps and I'd like it if they stopped trying to lay me out every time I enter their enclosure to harvest their poop.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

at first i couldn't decide between p5 and nier a. but now... pubg might be goty.....

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i like hellblade because i like pretentious nonsense

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's going to be Nintendo World Championships this year, let's hope that means there's a new level creation game to go with it, if not Mario Maker Switch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of goty i hope ruiner comes out soon

yes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

There's going to be Nintendo World Championships this year, let's hope that means there's a new level creation game to go with it, if not Mario Maker Switch.

Now that I'm playing MK8 again on Switch , they should have bundled in level creation tools with the rerelease.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I spent a lot of time making Excitebike 64 tracks as a kid

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

for the record weapon durability is in no way a problem or a nusiance because of the insane amount of drops you find. it's just pointless and that makes it bad design

:agreed:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Phantasium posted:

There's going to be Nintendo World Championships this year,

*ominous pan-flute sounds*

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

I spent a lot of time making Excitebike 64 tracks as a kid

I spent a lot of time making OG Excitebike tracks and wondering why it would never save them, only to find out years later the save and load functions on NES excitebike are leftovers from an famicom add-on that the west never got and they don't do anything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nintendo World Championships should be:

1) Mario Kart 8
2) Super Mario Run
3) Pokken Tournament
Finale: Mega Man Creator

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the durability system in zelda isnt inherently bad but things break way too quickly. if they broke slower and there was some mechanic where you could drastically increase the durability of few preferred weapons id like it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if combat isnt tales of graces its bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia_XWRj5ugA&t=53s

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The more important question is: weapon durability in System Shock 2.

I've been very pro-WD in SS2, because it adds to the tension and makes you be far more selective of which encounters you choose to go through with and which ones you don't.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

DLC Inc posted:

Resident Evil Briefcase Tetris

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
make every game like oblivion where weapon durability exists but you can make it entirely pointless by carrying around a million hammers and hammering your equipment so much that you gain the ability to fix everything forever with one hammer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you want to talk about pointless weapon durability, Witcher 3, woof

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

The more important question is: weapon durability in System Shock 2.

I've been very pro-WD in SS2, because it adds to the tension and makes you be far more selective of which encounters you choose to go through with and which ones you don't.

that's one of the two games i was thinking of that has good weapon durability

mainly because you can repair weapons to full generally whenever you want (albeit with a marginally limited resource)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Weapon durability is dumb in literally every single game that uses it, no exceptions. Even in WoW oh my sword is 50% durability guess i'll pay a few gold and it's fixed wow what a dynamic interesting system

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also you can just wrench everything to death

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the other game with good weapon durability is s.t.a.l.k.e.r.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Macaluso posted:

Weapon durability is dumb in literally every single game that uses it, no exceptions. Even in WoW oh my sword is 50% durability guess i'll pay a few gold and it's fixed wow what a dynamic interesting system

Wasn't that supposed to be a gold sink to curb inflation or some poo poo like that, since in the WoW economy there would be no natural depreciation of capital

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda hoarding weapons in BOTW for a bit but as soon as you realize the game is constantly dumping a bucket of weapons over Link's head at all times you can just sorta not care about it and use whatever

It doesn't make that much of a difference since there's usually appropriately powerful weapons around somewhere when you're fighting more powerful enemies anyways

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

durability is good in fire emblem thracia 776 because you can only buy crappy iron weapons so you have to beat enemies up and take their weapons constantly, so you have to look at enemy inventories and plan around weakening the guys with good weapons so you can capture them, as opposed to just beating everyone up

by end game you still have an infinite stockpile of the best weapons but at least you got those cool weapons yourself instead of being handed a bunch of gold to buy them with

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wasn't that supposed to be a gold sink to curb inflation or some poo poo like that, since in the WoW economy there would be no natural depreciation of capital

and yeah this is why it exists. in vanilla wow it actually was a big gold sink but by frozen throne it barely cost anything to anyone even new players

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Endorph posted:

durability is good in fire emblem thracia 776 because you can only buy crappy iron weapons so you have to beat enemies up and take their weapons constantly, so you have to look at enemy inventories and plan around weakening the guys with good weapons so you can capture them, as opposed to just beating everyone up

by end game you still have an infinite stockpile of the best weapons but at least you got those cool weapons yourself instead of being handed a bunch of gold to buy them with

It's weird how you said durability is good there but then went on to describe something that isn't good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

the other game with good weapon durability is s.t.a.l.k.e.r.

i really love s.t.a.l.k.e.r. it's immersive and oddly... charming? i loved exploring and throwing bolts at poo poo.

• Locked thread