Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macaluso posted:

Weapon durability is dumb in literally every single game that uses it, no exceptions. Even in WoW oh my sword is 50% durability guess i'll pay a few gold and it's fixed wow what a dynamic interesting system

I like it in Dark Souls 2 because it encourages you to be appropriately prepared for stuff by having a backup weapon in your arsenal. There are several ways to mitigate and slow the durability loss too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's weird how you said durability is good there but then went on to describe something that isn't good

how is that not good? it's interesting gameplay that makes you interact with enemies in exchange for cool poo poo, it's fun and makes you feel like a rebel scrounging for whatever you can get.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Guild Wars 2 they removed the negligible cost of repairing weapons and armor some time back but they still have durability, but you can repair at the start of any dungeon after wiping and dying while just farting around in the world usually isn't a risk, so it's unclear why it even exists. But then that game has a lot of baffling decisions.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
it's okay if some people like various durability mechanics and not others, or all durability mechanics, or no durability mechanics.

i think we can agree that real-life durability mechanics are trash, though. my phone charger broke down today. on the other hand, my compost is taking too long to actually break down into dirt. :smith:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macaluso posted:

Weapon durability is dumb in literally every single game that uses it, no exceptions. Even in WoW oh my sword is 50% durability guess i'll pay a few gold and it's fixed wow what a dynamic interesting system

It's actually really important in games like WoW as a meta-indicator that your group sucks and should give up without anyone individually getting blamed.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

thinking about it i think my opinion boils down to "if weapon durability is going to degrade extremely quickly, than there needs to be functionality to repair weapons (system shock 2, dark souls 2)", and "if weapons cannot be repaired and breaking is inevitable, then their durability needs to degrade slowly enough that they feel worth using despite that (s.t.a.l.k.e.r.)"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i think we can agree that real-life durability mechanics are trash, though. my phone charger broke down today. on the other hand, my compost is taking too long to actually break down into dirt. :smith:

It's to prevent people from farming low-level resources when you reach late game crafting. Forces you to upkeep mid-to-late game infrastructure as opposed to spamming low-level equipment and buildings and coasting on Easy Mode.

It sucks but the devs don't read the forums.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

It's actually really important in games like WoW as a meta-indicator that your group sucks and should give up without anyone individually getting blamed.

Are we playing the same WoW

Cowcaster posted:

thinking about it i think my opinion boils down to "if weapon durability is going to degrade extremely quickly, than there needs to be functionality to repair weapons (system shock 2, dark souls 2)", and "if weapons cannot be repaired and breaking is inevitable, then their durability needs to degrade slowly enough that they feel worth using despite that (s.t.a.l.k.e.r.)"

I just don't want my weapon to break period. I want to have a weapon and it works and always works. I'm okay with other weapon choices for different playstyles to be available but I don't want to be forced into a different weapon cause my weapon broke. I guess it's not all that different from ammo in the grand scheme of things but it feels different.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

On the other hand, I would like to play a game where you manage a blacksmith shop

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Honestly the whole reason I like the durability in BotW is because you can't repair weapons. If you could, it would be significantly more tedious, because you'd feel sort of obliged to keep going back to town to repair your best weapons.

To be fair, the current situation sure as hell isn't perfect either, because a lot of those "best weapons" respawn so instead of "go back to town to repair" it's "go back into Hyrule Castle/a shrine combat trial and get some more," which isn't great either. I'm not too sure what the solution to that part is, but I think the durability in general is a good idea. Part of it is just now thinking of weapons as equipment and instead as resources or ammunition, honestly.

Durability systems that only exist to be a money sink suck and are tedious, though. No MMO has had a worthwhile durability system, and weapon durability is one of the things I really dislike about the Souls games and Bloodborne. Especially Bloodborne--most weapons are so durable you'd be forgiven if you entirely forgot about durability until they break mid-boss fight. I love that game more than is reasonable, but the durability system is so deeply pointless that I still can't understand why it exists in any of the games in that series. Like if the point is to make you have multiple weapons you use, that doesn't work: not only is durability too high to really force you to think about it very often, but the requirement that you sink upgrade materials into your weapons means that you probably don't have enough to keep a lot of weapons up-to-date.

Being unable to repair in BotW and not needing to upgrade weapons is actually something I'd talked about previously with Souls durability: if you want me to be a scavenger, using whatever weapons I find along the way, you have to build other systems to support that, and not ask me to sink non-renewable resources into weapons I won't be able to use all the time because they break.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

vermin posted:

It's to prevent people from farming low-level resources when you reach late game crafting. Forces you to upkeep mid-to-late game infrastructure as opposed to spamming low-level equipment and buildings and coasting on Easy Mode.

It sucks but the devs don't read the forums.

I feel like this is applicable to too many areas of life.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Like in BOTW I almost feel like just throwing away half of the weapons I have in stock so I'm not constantly going "hmmm is this weapon better than the ones I have, is it?"

It almost never matters unless you're hoarding crude sticks and clubs from the beginning of the game or something

Doing the Master Sword Trials and Eventide Island brought back a bit of that good feel of constantly swapping out and breaking weapons and having to scrounge around for new ones

Kinda reminds me of how in Borderlands 1/2 the game feels good to play because you have to adjust your strategy around whatever weapons the RNG decides to throw at you but by lategame you're looking at basically everything and going "ugh, trash" while still having to compare it to the poo poo in your inventory and it becomes tedious

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the other hand, I would like to play a game where you manage a blacksmith shop

I love the idea of a game where you play as the shopkeepers or merchants or bosses or guides or... whatever NPCs in RPGs and stuff. What was that game that came out several years ago where you run an item shop? What a cute little interesting game that was. I'm totally down for more of that kind of thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

recettear

you guys should try the atelier games

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I do kind of wish there was more of an indicator for weapon durability in BOTW other than "New" and "Totally Busted; Throw This Weapon At Something"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macaluso posted:

Are we playing the same WoW

"All my gear is red, I'm done" is a better social lubricant than "you all suck, now we're gonna keep doing this for 3 hours straight." The latter does continue to happen of course but durability gives people an easy out of an unfun and overly difficult situation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's also this rhythm game/weapon shop thing, where you forge weapons and then get fantasy twitter updates on what the adventurers are doing with your weapon

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/Dv-FQewp6_NmAUINbgSH2F6m7WoYw3yk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I made an iPhone game where you manage an item shop, Merchant to the Stars. Grindy but I'm still proud of the random story generator.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Kinda reminds me of how in Borderlands 1/2 the game feels good to play

let me just stop you right there

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I must say weapon durability never bothered me in any game that had it. I just accepted it as part of the game and usually there were gameplay decisions made taking it into consideration like repairing or replacing gear.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Weapon durability exists to give you an excuse to whip a great sword at some dumb bokoblin's head. The bigger problem to me is that there's like, 6 enemies that get palette swapped over and over for the entirety of the game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

notable suda51 free 2 play grind disaster Let It Die had an "interesting" system where weapons/armor can be bought in perfect condition if you find the blueprints and bring them back to the shop, and can be upgraded to more powerful versions there as well, but nothing can be repaired (easily), and all the weapons you scrounge off of enemies are all lovely and in lovely condition

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok I lied because I just remembered that weapon durability in Yakuza 0 pisses me off. I guess I accept it in certain genres and this game isn't them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The bigger problem to me is that there's like, 6 enemies that get palette swapped over and over for the entirety of the game.

:same:

The two things I think are the biggest flaws in BotW are the lack of enemy variety (even if the humanoid enemies have a lot of behaviors, the game still needs more variety) and the tacked-on armor upgrading stuff.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Weapon durability exists to give you an excuse to whip a great sword at some dumb bokoblin's head. The bigger problem to me is that there's like, 6 enemies that get palette swapped over and over for the entirety of the game.

yeah this was also bad but the lizalfos design was so good + the wizrobes weren't bad either

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Watched the hellblade quicklook. Brad from giantbomb is a huge fan of mediocre enslaved and sub mediocre DmC, calling ninja theory one of the devs who have earned his attention on new games no questions asked.

:psyduck:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

let me just stop you right there

They're fun for me (esp with other people) in the beginning but they both unfailingly get worse as the game goes on as you stop finding interesting/good stuff compared to what you have and the enemies get bullet-spongier

also in the second one they deliberately tried to turn the endgame into some kinda MMO-grindfest; introducing big bosses you would grind for loot with other people and like five different currencies you also had to farm for

very bad

I wouldn't play another unless they made some kind of radical change to the formula at this point

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

Ok I lied because I just remembered that weapon durability in Yakuza 0 pisses me off. I guess I accept it in certain genres and this game isn't them.

its less meaningful in yakuza 0 because there's a dude who will repair it

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Macaluso posted:

I love the idea of a game where you play as the shopkeepers or merchants or bosses or guides or... whatever NPCs in RPGs and stuff. What was that game that came out several years ago where you run an item shop? What a cute little interesting game that was. I'm totally down for more of that kind of thing.

Weapon Shop Fantasy has you playing as the manager of a shop where you send workers out to farm mats and tell other workers to make things. Doesn't have the same gameplay loop as Recettear (the farming runs are not a separate gameplay segment. there is no "rearrange the shop to attract customers" element) and it is a bit grindy, but I found it decent enough.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

same and I'm confused why so many people get hung up about the combat system in a 3D Zelda.

Because its very basic. If the environment wasnt so well designed to be used as weapon combat depth would be a bigger problem.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Watched the hellblade quicklook. Brad from giantbomb is a huge fan of mediocre enslaved and sub mediocre DmC, calling ninja theory one of the devs who have earned his attention on new games no questions asked.

Most critics like the DmC reboot a lot. Like I realize how :jerkbag: it seems to say that a lot if the hate for the reboot had to do with attachment to the originals and dumb marketing stuff rather than what the game itself was like on its own but most if the time I see reactions from people that just go into it without that stuff they seem to like it fine. I'm not saying there aren't legit things wrong with the game, nor am I saying that it's garaunteed that someone going in without any preconcieved notions is gonna like it, just that it's badness is not as objective as people like to pretend it is.

Hell, the reason I preordered it was that I still haven't outright disliked a thing Ninja Theory have done, so I thought it was worth a shot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite durability system was 60fps pre patch Dark Souls II

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mediocre videogames that get met with lukewarm positivity seems to be ninja theory's entire market niche, yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Most critics like the DmC reboot a lot. Like I realize how :jerkbag: it seems to say that a lot if the hate for the reboot had to do with attachment to the originals and dumb marketing stuff rather than what the game itself was like on its own but most if the time I see reactions from people that just go into it without that stuff they seem to like it fine. I'm not saying there aren't legit things wrong with the game, nor am I saying that it's garaunteed that someone going in without any preconcieved notions is gonna like it, just that it's badness is not as objective as people like to pretend it is.

Hell, the reason I preordered it was that I still haven't outright disliked a thing Ninja Theory have done, so I thought it was worth a shot.

I never played the earlier games until after the reboot and its indefensible. Half the game is swinging over death pits instead of fighting, the combat is bad, the story is unforgivable

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Remember those game boy final fantasy games where literally everything had durability, including your fists? At least I don't think I've ever seen anything every get quite as bad as that.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

DmC was a great game. Fact.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

its less meaningful in yakuza 0 because there's a dude who will repair it

I forgot about weapons existing in Yakuza up until the end mostly because after like 40 hours I didn't realize what button equipped them lol. Just one of many things I didn't even discover til later, like slot cars---there was already so much I was doing that I didn't see everything on the first run

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
DmC would have been better if more of the marketing crap really was part of the game because at least then dante would have a consistent personality

but anyway, i hope everyone who buys mmlc2 remembers to have a bunch of e-tanks before the last boss

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AngelesXO posted:

DmC was a great game. Fact.

there are way way worse games than DmC, which I enjoyed. it's hardly a cancerous travesty, at best there's way too much platforming. the story...who even cares about the story in a Platinum game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've played all the Yakuza games and never messed with the weapon crafting in any of them

• Locked thread