Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Aren't the gearboxes a frequent failure point one them? Like people say they will break, it's just a question of when?

Yeah I remember someone here talking about that, I think it was Cat Terrist. Saying how they were great cars BUT....

They were great when they were new under warranty but I don't think I'd own one now. I also remember the engine bay being a cramped nightmare, not exactly a DIY friendly car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

astropika posted:

There is nothing that california likes more than to tighten the screws on people with minority interests which are politically unacceptable :commissar:.

Couldn't have anything to with having more cars than people in the biggest state or the geography contributing to inversion layers and local pollution concentration? I do agree that there should be something to make cars available, but I don't see pathways in existing legislation being a specific hindrance to JDM tyte ridez, but they are obscured unintentionally by existing law. You can register a 25+ year old import, but there's no way to plate it without the smog test for which data doesn't exist. Given the long lifetime of cars in California, I don't think continuing the rolling exemption would have had a positive effect on air quality in the areas most affected by the air pollution. I want my 323 GT-R and Cuore Avanzato TR-XX R4, damnit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Anyone up for an old fire truck?

12000 km on the clock, bidding starts at $460.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This is one of the best threads I've read in a long time. So much information....!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah I remember someone here talking about that, I think it was Cat Terrist. Saying how they were great cars BUT....

They were great when they were new under warranty but I don't think I'd own one now. I also remember the engine bay being a cramped nightmare, not exactly a DIY friendly car.

Yeah that was me. A real pity as they are really REALLY good things otherwise. A GTiR had two big issues especially when you are tuning them -

a) Top mount intercooler has hilariously bad ducting to cool it and hence exposes it to head gasket issues.

b) Aforementioned gearbox.

The gearbox can be fixed(ish) with some expensive upgrades and the intercooler position can be changed. God knows where you would get parts for them now tho, but they do run I think an SR20 so the engine is at least easy. I'd say they are the kind of cars where if you want to spend the money and have the patience, they are worth it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

Aren't the gearboxes a frequent failure point one them? Like people say they will break, it's just a question of when?

Oh they are unreliable as all gently caress. I would never rely on one as a daily driver but a bit of weekend warrioring will be fine. Just have to get really good and rebuilding the gearbox, diff and replacing wheel bearing.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
So why not register as antique in cali? In texas the way it works a classic gets a green slip to exempt emissions but antique is exempt from even being looked at. The only real difference between the two here is an antique cant be your primary. But even then a cop really doesnt have any means to argue you've gone to work everyday in it. I've never heard of it being revoked even from people that daily them and rack up tickets. My experience is with texas cops though, they really couldnt care less here. Regardless its so hard to prove i cant imagine the restrictions are enforceable there either.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a dealership that mostly deals with GTRs. Some of them look quite nice. They also claim to have checked out everything beforehand and the mileage is often backed up with dealership service records.

http://www.global-auto.ne.jp/stock/public_model_home.php?model=BNR32

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

Got some better pictures back on that old Honda Street. The rust is super minor and I might go for it anyway, it's just too unique and the interior is aces.

Right so after working with Yoshi and the dealership that has this van for sale I've decided to pass. The reason why is because I was curious about having the leaking AC system fixed while in Japan since parts availability + language barrier means it makes more sense to have that taken care of while it's still in Japan. The shop though says they aren't doing any work on it and selling it as-is. That skeeves me out enough to have me drop it immediately. It's a full-size shop complete with three lifts and for them to just flat out refuse any work on it is odd as heck. Feels bad so probably is bad.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

KakerMix posted:

Anyone up for an old fire truck?

12000 km on the clock, bidding starts at $460.

I would daily that in a heartbeat.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

DJ Commie posted:

Couldn't have anything to with having more cars than people in the biggest state or the geography contributing to inversion layers and local pollution concentration? I do agree that there should be something to make cars available, but I don't see pathways in existing legislation being a specific hindrance to JDM tyte ridez, but they are obscured unintentionally by existing law. You can register a 25+ year old import, but there's no way to plate it without the smog test for which data doesn't exist. Given the long lifetime of cars in California, I don't think continuing the rolling exemption would have had a positive effect on air quality in the areas most affected by the air pollution. I want my 323 GT-R and Cuore Avanzato TR-XX R4, damnit.

I know it's not good to attribute to malice that which can be explained by cold, uncaring indifference.

The burden does fall disproportionately on people wanting import cars though, with 25 year old cars as well as with the pre-76 smog testing that they started enforcing a couple of years back (so you can't import a fairlady z 72-75).
CARB regulations are also used as a club to break up car meetups and impound/crush modified cars. If the state wanted to be helpful it would extend the BAR referee program to allow import cars to be included, or it could just let you register the drat car if you meet smog at the tailpipe.

That's the ludicrous aspect of it, you can have a kei car that meets smog to a hilarious degree because of its tiny engine but it won't be able to be registered because it isn't in the Big Book of Engines™ to tell the smog place whether they need to visually check for an EGR hose or secondary air injection crap, even though they're going to do a sniffer test anyway.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

DogonCrook posted:

So why not register as antique in cali?

There isn't a variant of that registration, unfortunately. Given the various states' versions of that, it'd probably work well as a concept. You'd have to make it expensive as a function of value like registration fees, or streamlining it into SB-100 would solve that problem as much as it probably could be solved. That has provisions for emissions and safety exemptions while still having the most basic semblence of emissions testing, and already has been law for years.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 8, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone should get a few of these in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Pulsar#GTI-R

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My limited understanding of the California regulations situation is that they wanted to have their own requirements in excess of federal requirements for such things, we're told that basically state law wasn't permitted to override federal law in the way they wanted to, so they went into full on "take our ball and go home" mode with it all.

Is that somewhere close to the mark?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

With about 5 spare gearboxes per car

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I am about to do something stupid, https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-9AFLqmkncZrMJ.htm

the wife is going to murder me. Better to ask for forgiveness ,right?????????

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Clean, not modified, looks good to me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Better to ask for forgiveness ,right?????????

loving another woman? Nope.

Buying another car? Yes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I am about to do something stupid, https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-9AFLqmkncZrMJ.htm

Gosh and my wife told me that I better get another vehicle going because it took so long to get the Hijet :cool:
I await the auction results, the starting bid indicates that it has a high reserve. Good luck!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Gosh and my wife told me that I better get another vehicle going because it took so long to get the Hijet :cool:
I await the auction results, the starting bid indicates that it has a high reserve. Good luck!

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-ap47i8okqnny5.htm

Am i reading this right that it was up for auction last week and did not sell for 4,390?

Did the auction house just not except the bid or do they have a reserve it did not meet?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

If only I could convince my wife to let me import a diesel early 90s Prado I'd be very happy...

....:smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why are a bunch of the cars login only? There are 11 Supras, all login.

[edit] Oh hell yes

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 8, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-ap47i8okqnny5.htm

Am i reading this right that it was up for auction last week and did not sell for 4,390?

Did the auction house just not except the bid or do they have a reserve it did not meet?

It means the reserve wasn't met. Since they listed it again they are somewhat desperate to get rid of it. I've seen cars sit and then later go for less than earlier offers that were declined. If you happen to be the highest bidder sometimes they will negotiate a deal, those vehicles say something like 'sold by negotiation' but it doesn't list whatever the price they agreed upon was.
I've never seen or heard of the auction house rejecting a bid. If it's happened there is no way to tell.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This has been such an excellent thread with juicy information. I too have heard the siren song of the Kei cars from too many hours spent playing Gran Tourismo 2 in middle school. An Autozam would be amazing to own, but really I would be happy with a Beat or Cappuccino. If they really can be had in the neighborhood of ~$5 grand for a reasonable runner I might look into doing this. Bonus is that my nephew is just finishing up his time as an LDS (Mormon) missionary in the northern part of Tokyo. He has been there for two years now and his English is probably worse than his Japanese at this point (going off of his emails at least).

Per your OP the AZ-1 is going to be :20bux:a lot and not ready for import until a few months, can the Cappo and Beats be imported now? What is the ideal years and models to look for? Is there a place you can find a good reference on what options are best, etc?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Aw yiss.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah what's the going rate on a Beat, Good Era Honda + ITBs is givin me feelins

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This has been such an excellent thread with juicy information. I too have heard the siren song of the Kei cars from too many hours spent playing Gran Tourismo 2 in middle school. An Autozam would be amazing to own, but really I would be happy with a Beat or Cappuccino. If they really can be had in the neighborhood of ~$5 grand for a reasonable runner I might look into doing this. Bonus is that my nephew is just finishing up his time as an LDS (Mormon) missionary in the northern part of Tokyo. He has been there for two years now and his English is probably worse than his Japanese at this point (going off of his emails at least).

Per your OP the AZ-1 is going to be :20bux:a lot and not ready for import until a few months, can the Cappo and Beats be imported now? What is the ideal years and models to look for? Is there a place you can find a good reference on what options are best, etc?

Beats and Cappuccinos can be imported now, correct. There was one major revision of the Beat and also one for the Cappuccino. I'm having a harder time finding when the revision models of the Beats started but from what I can tell it would have been in 1996 or so. It included things like ABS, LSD and I guess black instrument dials? Information is from here but who knows how accurate it is. For the Cappo it had it's revision in 1995. In both cases we don't have access to the revisions yet.
Don't discount AZ-1s totally, you can get driving ones for as low as $6000 I just have specific standards and want as stock as possible. You might not mind turbo gauges and a big after market wing bolted on the back, I don't judge :v: You have to remember to put up to another 2k of cost on top of that to actually physically get it if you want to do the importing yourself. It will probably be less than that but since I don't know where everyone is geographically I estimate high. Normally it's about $1800+cost of the vehicle for me all said and done to have the vehicle sitting at the US port. Then factor in the cost of titling and registration.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah what's the going rate on a Beat, Good Era Honda + ITBs is givin me feelins

In reference to earlier about how it seems some auctions go let's look at this specific Beat

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-9eJcCyrNYthg1IH.htm
Listed three times, missing the reserve only to finally be sold on the 4th listing. The way the auction is set up is there is no way to see if it has a reserve or now what the reserve is. It's possible it was higher than $3990 the whole time and it's also possible that the reserve was at $3900 the whole time and it simply never clipped up that high. Doesn't look too modified although it does has an aftermarket exhaust.

Numbers don't tell the whole story though, the scale. The one above says '4' but that doesn't mean that it runs perfectly. I've seen 3.5s that don't have any record of the oil ever being changed or that are running terribly. It isn't until you have an actual inspector from whatever broker you are working with go out and poke and prod and run it to see what shows up.

As for raw costs at auction you can get nice ones for as low as $2200 with varying modifications. The OEM zebra seats being replaced with black vinyl ones is common, after market steering wheels (almost always for the worst too) and weird stick shift knobs along with gauges of different things being drilled right into the dash. I like stock and those usually run higher in cost.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 9, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think the factory seats on Beats are very durable or comfortable, which might explain the high incidence of them being replaced. That zebra pattern rules though.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Do it. Clean t-turbo manual 300ZX's are getting very difficult to find here in NZ. Use to be 8k for a really decent one but that's shot up by at least 50% the past few years - so I can't see you losing money unless it's got a lot of issues.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
I've been watching the PacificCoastAuto youtube channel for a couple of years now, there are a fair number of repeats (people sure do like mitsubishi delicas) but also lots of really interesting examples, like the tiny camper vans. There are canadian imports now and again, lots of envy.

The guy runs a car export business and most of the videos are post-purchase inspections of customer cars that the buyers have consented to allow on youtube, so you get a really useful comparison of the auction sheet and the cars, he goes over the blemishes as described on the auction sheet and if anything got missed or exaggerated, so you get a really good idea about what a 3 or a 4.5 look like on the outside and what you should expect from an interior grade B vs D.

Tiny fire engine
Autozam AZ-1 Watch a gangly man fold himself into a tiny car with high sills.
1990 Toyota Century Intensely velour
Really awesome tiny RV
Nissan Match Super Turbo Twincharged!
The time they accidentally bought the worst camper van in Japan

of course there are skylines and skylines and skylines and skylines and skylines and sky...lines *ahem*

edit: they also have an auction search tool that has a guest login if you just want to see auctions/sold without registering http://auction.pacificcoastjdm.com/auctions/?p=project/searchform&searchtype=max&s&ld keep in mind it's a pain to link the auctions though, since the links need the guest login to view.

edit2: the guy is also very upfront about the shady poo poo car exporters sometimes do, for example:

Marking up sale price which is possible because of auctions that hide sale price, and since USS has just started hiding sold prices that's going to get a lot lot worse.
Charging customers the use tax which is refunded on export

astropika fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 9, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Registration finally went through for Japan Car Direct, time to start searching.

Could make sense to import some of these, not sure how good of shape they're in but it's good to see they do pop up and go for reasonable-ish values.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHH7Y3BFUGWPdrV.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHj6YPCmOMPXCzY.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHR63onlLrDrQ0n.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHoZcFW6h9MXTOn.htm

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I need money for one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1l4-LxqdOM

Mitsuoka did a series of TINY cars, 50cc things which were small enough they could be driven on a scooter license. Rules changed in the mid 80s meaning no more BUBU cars.

The 502 is loving cool, I won't hear otherwise.
http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-bubu-502-the-least-sleek-car-ever-built-1795585421

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Registration finally went through for Japan Car Direct, time to start searching.

Could make sense to import some of these, not sure how good of shape they're in but it's good to see they do pop up and go for reasonable-ish values.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHH7Y3BFUGWPdrV.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHj6YPCmOMPXCzY.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHR63onlLrDrQ0n.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHoZcFW6h9MXTOn.htm

Looking at the auction sheets the M3 and the grey 911 might have had front damage in the past. The multi coloured 911 says it has a new rear hatch but I think that is just because it is another colour and might be original, however again it might have take a hit to the back.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
This thread is a lot of fun. I have got such a raging boner for Beats and I am considering moving back to NZ just so I can own one. I mean just LOOK AT IT!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/honda/auction-1381333150.htm

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I'd love to replace my AW11 with a Beat. Especially a yellow one!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Well guys I didn't bid on the Z32. I came to my senses and talked to the wife she said to wait till I get my bonus in October then look at buying one. Im not to mad it looks like someone would have bid more than me and the owner still didn't accept that price. Maybe I will just start bidding 3,500$ every week and see if other people lose interest maybe the seller will cave.

In another funny story. I was talking with Yoshi and he has a 75 S30 as well. In Japan they never got the l24/26/28 so they are considered rare. I have been trying to give away my l28 (N42 so extra rare even for usdm, by what im told). Anyways I told him if he pays shipping its his. So in order to give my motor away I have to send it back where it came from 42 years ago. Its cool though hopeful it makes it into his Z and i get some sweet karma in the universe.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
It's going to be really interesting seeing what happens with the Japanese import/export business after all the cool cars can be sold in the US. I imagine the next 5-10 years represents a golden era for JDM vehicle export/import, it'll be interesting to see if people start importing manly minivans after that. Lots of interesting kei cars continue to be made, although they're mostly all cubes now, but that would be perfect for NYC or similar crowded cities with terrible parking.

Being US importable clearly has a huge impact on demand for the cooler cars, as evidence by the insane price hikes.

As I understand it Japan is a huge source of normal everyday vehicles for east asia (and new zealand? I think Australian grey market laws are worse?) so it probably won't have a huge impact on the Japanese used car industry as a whole.

astropika fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 9, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The thought that Shaken can take reasonably conditioned cars off the road has me thinking that looking for a European car in Japan through established importers instead of buying in the US or looking to European importers.
Holds water?

I know CT is in this thread sure to frown on the idea, but some of the condition 4 Integrales seem to be going for cheap enough to be worth extra fees and restoration costs, compared to what I've been seeing on BringATrailer.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

kimbo305 posted:

The thought that Shaken can take reasonably conditioned cars off the road has me thinking that looking for a European car in Japan through established importers instead of buying in the US or looking to European importers.
Holds water?

I know CT is in this thread sure to frown on the idea, but some of the condition 4 Integrales seem to be going for cheap enough to be worth extra fees and restoration costs, compared to what I've been seeing on BringATrailer.

It really depends, Japanese auctions seem to place a huge premium on lower mileage cars, the mileage drives most of the value, so higher mileage cars that seem to have been well maintained can be a good deal.

I'd be very concerned about rust with 80s euro cars, particularly Lancias. Japan is a rusty country, just ask anyone who's imported an AE86.

Most of the delta integrales I've seen recently have been near 4-6 million jpy, they've shot up since they became US importable. I've also looked at 911s and in general they're not far off US prices, 40k+ for a 964.
Bringatrailer is expensive compared to what you can find for sale on forums, it's very tempting but you rarely get a good deal on BaT. If you notice a really large percentage of the fancy 80s euro cars on bringatrailer were sourced from japanese auctions, sometimes they even reuse the auction photos! These are the people you're competing against on bids for those cars, people looking to flip them.

There are good value euro cars in japan, generally you'll want to be looking for things that are hard to find in the US in good condition, or in any condition in the case of alpinas, so many alpinas in japan.

edit: in some ways I'm glad californians can't import these cars, it'd drive up prices even more. If people are even aware they can't register them before they bid.

edit2: the shaken doesn't really take premium cars off the road, the great majority of the auction cars you see for > 1,000,000 jpy have a valid registration (with the notable exception of some 'boy racer' type cars, but those are dicey propositions anyway, you really have to be S rank at japanese auctions to go there). It's more about the really cheap cars, since you can fail for having ripped seats and it becomes silly to repair things like that when the car is worth 200,000 jpy. Then the problem with cheaper cars becomes that it costs $1500 or so to ro-ro a car to the west coast and most exporters charge ~ 100,000JPY, so the sweet spot becomes cheap cars in good condition say 500,000 JPY so you're not taking a wash on the shipping/export fees.

astropika fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 9, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Neat Things For Sale

1970 Mazda bus. I can't figure out if this thing has a wankel rotary in it but Wikipedia suggests there was a bus with one in it.

Cool rear end 1973 Mazda truck

1990 non-rotary Mazda Eunos

A very triple rotary 1991 Mazda Cosmo

Rad 75 Daihatsu truck

1987 3 cyl Turbo Daihatsu Charade

1990 Daihatsu Rugger/Rocky turbo diesel

73 Isuzu truck

Nicely done 89 Delica Star Wagon

72 Toyota Dyna

I think these Toyota Crown wagons are gorgeous and would love to own one someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
The first bus is a mitsu, yeah?

Also that crown wagon is total uncanny valley american muscle era wagon material

edit: NVM http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/for...ge-on-the-front

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 9, 2017