Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I'm unclear on how the Japanese chyrons are treated in the U.S. Funimation blu ray. Do they just keep the English translation subtitles or add new English chyrons?

I'm buying this thing (God, Shin Godzilla is such a good movie), I just want to know what I'm getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No onscreen Japanese text, English supertitles at the top of the screen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I did have this vague sense that I was missing something by not being able to catch all of those job titles that kept coming up on the screen but when I rewatch I'll pay extra attention to it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I did have this vague sense that I was missing something by not being able to catch all of those job titles that kept coming up on the screen but when I rewatch I'll pay extra attention to it.

I finally caught the best one: when Rando is at the secondary base after Godzilla destroys the city, and his title pops up with a comical amount of inherited titles he now holds after surviving the attack.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, I watched the dubbed version with my son last night. With them speaking English, it's a LOT easier to catch the titles that flash on screen. And yes, they get silly sometimes. I like how "Chief Deputy of X" and "Deputy Chief of X" are usually flanking whomever they're talking to. The whole bureaucracy is such a sharp satire of things. Like in the opening where they change rooms but have the same people for different classifications of meetings like, 3 times. Including at one point reconvening in a room they were already in.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just finished another watching and goddamn, what an amazing movie. Sought out some of the tail shots as the guys in the extras talked about them being discussed online and fuccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Apparently Haruo Nakajima, the original Man in the Godzilla suit, has passed away. RIP :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seriously what the gently caress is going on with that tail. Is there any clue in the movie as to what the hell all that is?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is going on with that tail. Is there any clue in the movie as to what the hell all that is?

The idea is basically, this Godzilla responds to what is defeating it.

So when the thing that is defeating it is a council of people, a collective, it decides to become a collective.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

The idea is basically, this Godzilla responds to what is defeating it.

So when the thing that is defeating it is a council of people, a collective, it decides to become a collective.

Is there anyone in the movie who actually verbalizes that theory though? I mean I get that he's evolving to meet the challenges of the environment he finds himself in, but that he would specifically evolve into the thing that's defeating him is more of an interpretation than something I remember being actually spelled out. Did I just miss a line of dialogue or something?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Is there anyone in the movie who actually verbalizes that theory though? I mean I get that he's evolving to meet the challenges of the environment he finds himself in, but that he would specifically evolve into the thing that's defeating him is more of an interpretation than something I remember being actually spelled out. Did I just miss a line of dialogue or something?

Not quite, but he was being attacked by helicopters and jets, and they did mention Godzilla could potentially sprout wings and fly to another continent.

Though Godzilla used lasers to defeat the helicopters and jets so I'm probably connecting dots that aren't there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's basically an extension of the talk of Godzilla's genome being infinitely adaptable.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
More specifically, it's clarified by the last shot of the film that Godzilla has not simply been 'killing' people. He's been absorbing and assimilating them. Basically, throughout the film, Godzilla is presented as this force which is fundamentally destructive, but also very efficiently adaptive. Its last-ditch effort to ensure its own survival was to basically spawn a colony of humanoid offspring. It's a hostile rejection of the superficial reading which presents a dichotomy between 'man' and 'nature.' Explicitly, Godzilla is just people. The film is about the suppression of a radical, specifically anti-nuclear uprising. Godzilla is the idea that the casualties of the nation-state's march into modernity and 'adapting' to dominant, globalist ideology are fundamentally intolerable.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the reactor inside him was cooling down so he was trying to "abandon ship" with a bunch of tiny humanoids.
although they might still be like 12 feet tall it's hard to get a scale

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Man, the thought of an army of invincible Gojipeople is like the baby Zilla scene from 98, but like actually loving terrifying and not just velociraptors.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If you want to stick to official canon, the explanation for Godzilla's tail is that it means whatever you want it to mean and you have to decide for yourself by watching the movie

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I saw a few pics from the "Art of Shin Godzilla" book and apparently some of the alternate ideas for that scene were that Godzilla would be frozen as he splits in half, like an entire other head is sprouting from its shoulders.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Godzilla grew a second head and then decided to make a bunch of tiny friends to hang out with the people of Japan

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla vs Destroyah still had the better death / "rebirth" but Shin Godzilla did some crazy loving things with the big G. I can't wait for the next Godzilla.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's weird, but I don't really view Shin Godzilla as a giant walking lizard the way I do all the other Godzillas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Godzilla is god

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

the reactor inside him was cooling down so he was trying to "abandon ship" with a bunch of tiny humanoids.
although they might still be like 12 feet tall it's hard to get a scale

The idea of him evolving to match the thing that was defeating him is probably the correct take especially because his tail looks so phallic in this movie. He's spurting new life out that thing and figured this was the next step. First you walk upright then you eject supersmart monsters next.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Godzilla is god

zilla

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, he's not god. That's kind of the point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Godzilla is a literal congregation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A murder of Godzillas

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

A Pantheon of Godzillas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A Tokyo of Godzillas

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

A There Goes Tokyo of Godzillas

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DLC Inc posted:

The idea of him evolving to match the thing that was defeating him is probably the correct take especially because his tail looks so phallic in this movie. He's spurting new life out that thing and figured this was the next step. First you walk upright then you eject supersmart monsters next.

It's interesting that we've finally mentioned the phallic element of Godzilla's tail (he's proactively growing a second head, basically), because it basically means that the monster of Shin is the most reminiscent of the Demon of Destruction in Legend of the Overfiend.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Cant wait to watch this again. I didn't want to download that chopped up version. I hope the US version has good extras.

The Kong commentary with Jordan Vogt-Roberts is amazing! He goes into so much detail about things and even talks through the credits. I was sad when it ends as he literally goes right past the stinger too.

Do you know where I could find some highlights? Text is fine. I'm not one to watch commentaries but I'm curious

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Vintersorg”" post="“474906573”"]
Cant wait to watch this again. I didn’t want to download that chopped up version. I hope the US version has good extras.

The Kong commentary with Jordan Vogt-Roberts is amazing! He goes into so much detail about things and even talks through the credits. I was sad when it ends as he literally goes right past the stinger too.
[/quote]

FYI it’s on sale for 10 bux on iTunes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

It's interesting that we've finally mentioned the phallic element of Godzilla's tail (he's proactively growing a second head, basically), because it basically means that the monster of Shin is the most reminiscent of the Demon of Destruction in Legend of the Overfiend.

For once I actually get one of the references you make to grunchy poo poo

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

For once I actually get one of the references you make to grunchy poo poo

On that note, I don't remember too much about it, but I remember it not being particularly good.

Shin is still thematically closest to The X from Outer Space.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

On that note, I don't remember too much about it, but I remember it not being particularly good.

Shin is still thematically closest to The X from Outer Space.

It's thematically close to my cock and balls, which, sadly resemble Shin Godzilla after an incident with a microwave.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has anyone purchased the digital version off amazon? I'm seeing Shin Godzilla and Shin Godzilla (original japanese ver) both on amazon video. The normal entry lists english captions/subtitles but I can't find any info on audio tracks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In iTunes the subbed and dubbed version are being sold separate;y for some dumb reason. Amazon probably has the same thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Vudu code that came with the Blu-ray contained both. Just get the Blu-ray.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I bought on bluray this week at best buy. Love the black case too which is a weird thing to like but it matches the art.

Also apparently it's up on YouTube. :3: Unsure how long this will last but it's been a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSsQAIcyQe8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's thematically close to my cock and balls, which, sadly resemble Shin Godzilla after an incident with a microwave.

Same

http://i.imgur.com/KHXvzU0.gifv