Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah yes click a rockface for an hour

excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

at least you're doing something other than waiting for a machine that is literally unable to be sped up in any way to trickle out basic resources at a geriatric pace

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Been going through AoE myself and just got an Empowerer. Having to deal with IC2's nonsense has been a pain in the neck, especially for initial steel production, but getting the IE stuff rolling has been good.

Were water wheels always part of IE? Cause they're a surprisingly good source of power early on given how inexpensive the components are. And if nothing else it gives me something to do with my gallons upon gallons of creosote oil I have constantly laying around.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

Were water wheels always part of IE? Cause they're a surprisingly good source of power early on given how inexpensive the components are. And if nothing else it gives me something to do with my gallons upon gallons of creosote oil I have constantly laying around.

Yeah, as long as I can remember. There's windmills too.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
IC2 is cancer. I was really enjoying AoE until it became Iridium everything. Screw that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sexual Aluminum posted:

IC2 is cancer. I was really enjoying AoE until it became Iridium everything. Screw that.

i think the creative vending upgrade needs 4096 iridium

that's 64 stacks

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:yikes:

instead of doing that, make the following TiCon hammer:

ardite hammer head
ardite tough tool rod
obsidian large plate
bronze large plate

slap silk touch, glowing, and reinforced on it, head to y-level 11, pick one direction, and mine until you have a large number of resources

Why silk touch over Looting 3? Getting 8 diamonds is better than getting diamond ore and then processing it for 2.

Also, once you've built the hammer take it to the Nether and smash Netherrack until your hammer durability is around 30%. This will speed the hammer up dramatically and with stone bound it will hover around that durability level, even with glowing.

Finally, everybody seems to forget about embossing tools. It can only be done once, but is useful for getting that last modifier onto the tool. You can either use the material that has the modifier (ie diamond) or use paper to add an additional modifier slot to the tool.

For example, you can make unbreakable throwing stars but making the blades out of say Manyullan (however it's spelt, it the Aridite + Cobalt one) and then embossing it with paper, giving it a total of 5 modifiers. 5 obsidian plates later, you've got never ending throwing stars.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Kris xK posted:

Also, once you've built the hammer take it to the Nether and smash Netherrack until your hammer durability is around 30%. This will speed the hammer up dramatically and with stone bound it will hover around that durability level, even with glowing.

How do you deal with all the stone and random crap you mine? I normally run nullifier/void charms/bags and stuff, but I heard that if I do that, then the hammer won't get repaired since it eats stone in ones inventory or something?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Kris xK posted:

Why silk touch over Looting 3? Getting 8 diamonds is better than getting diamond ore and then processing it for 2.

Because you don't get 8 diamonds with Looting 3. You'll typically get two, you might get 3, and you'll rarely get four. On average, I think you get about 2.3 diamonds or so with Looting 3. Processing diamonds typically yields at least 3, and some may have higher outputs.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Ambaire posted:

How do you deal with all the stone and random crap you mine? I normally run nullifier/void charms/bags and stuff, but I heard that if I do that, then the hammer won't get repaired since it eats stone in ones inventory or something?

For AOE, I just have a garbage bag that eats all my cobblestone. I don't think the cobblestone has to be in inventory for the durability to go up, but I haven't tested that.

For Beyond I just dump everything into the AE2 system and autoprocess it into compressed cobble or gravel/sand/glass.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Serifina posted:

Because you don't get 8 diamonds with Looting 3. You'll typically get two, you might get 3, and you'll rarely get four. On average, I think you get about 2.3 diamonds or so with Looting 3. Processing diamonds typically yields at least 3, and some may have higher outputs.

Hmmmm doubt it creeping into my plan. I'll have to test that out, thankfully my AA drill has silk touch.

I may have been thinking about Glowstone/Lapis instead.

Also I forgot about the Stone Separator, where silk touch is essential.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kris xK posted:

Inventory space. A stack of redstone ore holds a lot more redstone than a stack of redstone dust. You can process it however you want when you get back to base, including whacking it with a fortune III tool.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Counterpoint: ore isn't compressible. If you're like me and want to spend absolutely as little time as possible mining, though, you'll figure it out. Silk touch is pretty critically important to mining efficiency.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

Counterpoint: ore isn't compressible. If you're like me and want to spend absolutely as little time as possible mining, though, you'll figure it out. Silk touch is pretty critically important to mining efficiency.

Yeah -- if AoE had Iron Backpacks in it, you'd bet that I'd choose fortune over silk touch. However, it doesn't. I'm far too lazy to manually compress down the redstone and ore, so I'll take the built-in compression of ore via silk touch.

Plus it vomits out an absolute pile of smooth stone, which is useful to have around.

Ambaire posted:

An actually additions void sack can take an AA filter, so that makes it the best trash can while mining. The petrarmor effect takes place when the blocks are broken, not consumed out of the inventory, so it still works even if you're voiding all the stone and whatnot.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
For FTB Beyond, anyone having trouble getting Sand from Quantum Quarries? I've got a Desert Biome Selector in there but it's not giving me any sand at all.

Also on the topic of Beyond, anyone have a fix for the Witches hat recipe that produces Glowstone? It keeps producing Gunpowder instead.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I dunno how y'all live without ProjectE, purely as a storage solution. Even if it had no actual transmutation powers, no EMC generation, tossing your entire non-ore inventory into the tablet is just too good for me to live without. Maybe if AE/RS had infinite wireless distance.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Ender Bag linked to a chest that feeds into your RS network works just as well.

Of course, by the time you reach that tech level, you're probably not far from automated mining, either.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Meskhenet posted:

I just dled GRIMDARKER, is there anything there that is causing the block lag?
yes, probably McJty's lost cities worldgen and how mobs tend to stack up in buildings

Feral Integral posted:

There any way you can update this pack to the latest on Technic? It's the only launcher I can get to work on my pc. Great pack btw!

PS: the 1.10 version is the one I'm using
no, GRIMDARK had a lot of good things like totally custom sieve tables so you could automate everything and lots of custom loot for mobs/dungeons but ultimately too many mods (all of the mods, more than all the mods) so I stopped actively developing it in favor of QRAFT

It's a much more pure version of my ~vision~ featuring a world devoid of resources where combat and looting are emphasized over mining, the endgame is not 100% complete yet and still needs some balancing so I'd greatly value any feedback but the main progression structure is there and playable with a guidebook. A lost cities dungeon world where chest loot contains almost every item in the game. Passive resource generation is in there too with Waterstrainer + Rockhounding Chemistry which is a whole mod similar to Mekanism 5x style ore processing. Mystical Agriculture rounds out production options.

I have a server up if you wana fight me for making a modpack centered around combat. 1v1 me bro fists only or guns there's lots of guns. &there's an Age of Engineering server too :ssh: I think some interesting PvP might actually be possible using teams from TF2 Stuff, protection from SecurityCraft and Open Modular Turrets/Defense, and turret hacking with Combat Plus and of course being able to shoot at each other with assault rifles, AWPs and rocket launchers while bunnyhopping

The big idea is using powered spawners from EnderIO inside compressed factories in order to generate massive amounts of resources which you'll pipe into a Refined Storage system and then use Refined Exchange and Refined Avarita to craft 9x9 recipes into endgame all while railgun and laser turrets blast mobs away from your base, which is all behind exploration into The Betweenlands, AbyssalCraft, and Ars Magica 2. Refined Storage also has the Wireless Crafting Grid which will let you access your RS system from anywhere. Endgame is getting to space with Advanced Rocketry and unlocking RF Tools/Dimensions to find a material you'll need to summon some final bosses and rid the world of evil and all that, it should be a p wild ride.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Can you emboss TC arrows and bolts?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there really no AE2 fluid crafting in 1.10.2? I just want to make triple sure before I purge those quests.

Ditto on the slopes for Carpenter's Blocks. That one is going to suck since it's going to screw up the tutorial dimension.

I'm down to 111 missing items, although some of those are repeats. It looks like I was able to remap all the Big Reactors stuff. I had to write some code to convert the blocks that used to be differentiated by metadata into the new unique blocks. It was worth it to me because that will carry over when converting the tutorial dimension. BTW I think that is easy enough to do just by reaching in to the old save and editing a section of NBT data.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there really no AE2 fluid crafting in 1.10.2? I just want to make triple sure before I purge those quests.

Ditto on the slopes for Carpenter's Blocks. That one is going to suck since it's going to screw up the tutorial dimension.

I'm down to 111 missing items, although some of those are repeats. It looks like I was able to remap all the Big Reactors stuff. I had to write some code to convert the blocks that used to be differentiated by metadata into the new unique blocks. It was worth it to me because that will carry over when converting the tutorial dimension. BTW I think that is easy enough to do just by reaching in to the old save and editing a section of NBT data.

The Extra Cells dev apparently stated no work would be done on a new version until AE2 came out of alpha, which just happened, so yeah.

(Someone made Applied Fluidics for the controversial AE2 fork Applied Llamagistics but I don't know anything about it further than that)

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
So I'm flying around the end, putting my RFtools material absorber onto Draconium Ore, to make a easy farming dimension. I was almost done, and the material absorber poofed with particle effects that looked like an ender pearl teleport, and I can't find the thing.

Any idea what happened?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sexual Aluminum posted:

So I'm flying around the end, putting my RFtools material absorber onto Draconium Ore, to make a easy farming dimension. I was almost done, and the material absorber poofed with particle effects that looked like an ender pearl teleport, and I can't find the thing.

Any idea what happened?

maybe it got stolen by an enderman? (i dunno if this can happen)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In AoE

Age 3 or maybe 2, Ive got a calculator. What are my RF storage options. (Capacitators need forestry stuff that needs 2mill rf to make).

And once you have enough slag to make the IE blast furnace should you even bother with the IC2 bf? (admittedly its running on solar and is technically free..

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

In AoE

Age 3 or maybe 2, Ive got a calculator. What are my RF storage options. (Capacitators need forestry stuff that needs 2mill rf to make).

And once you have enough slag to make the IE blast furnace should you even bother with the IC2 bf? (admittedly its running on solar and is technically free..

Make an atomic reconstructor. This opens up IE capacitors. The HV one is fairly cheap.

Once you get the IE blast furnace (and ideally upgrade to the improved one) you never need to use the IC2 blast furnace again. Once you've got more power situated, you can add preheaters to the improved version for much faster steel production.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Today I found out something really cool about hopperhocks and crafty crates and compressed cobble(or dirt or whatever). If you've got a hopperhock assigned to a crafty crate, and the crate drops on the ground within range of the hopperhock... the hopperhock will keep picking up the results, repeatedly compressing the cobble it gets. The Crafty Crate drops items if it receives an invalid recipe, and the hopperhock picks up entire stacks in the order in which they're created so it WILL compress everything fully. You can set up another hopperhock to filter out the stage of compression you want to store the cobble in.

It's the most compact autocrafting I've seen for compressed cobble. Cobblegen, open crate, two hopperhocks, one crafty crate, one chest and item filter. You'll probably want to use petite hopperhocks just so you can put it near the place you want to use compressed cobble.
It's pretty quick, too. Both hopperhocks and crafty crates operate at a fast rate. The only issue with it is that due to how the crafty crate works, it will only guarantee further compression operations once there's 17 of a type of cobble below the crafty crate-- 8 to flush the crafty crate and then another 9 to compress.

Here's an image, where an EXU transfer node is hidden behind the open crate. It's facing sideways so the node doesn't try to pick up cobble that the open crate drops.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 13, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AoE status:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Why isn't that core orange?!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What's the favored hosting service these days? I've got a fairly stable mod pack I've been working on with some friends for a while, but we'd like to host it on a service so we don't have to have a personal machine running 24/7. I've googled it, and seen some that the price seemed reasonable, but I'm always leery of signing up for something only to find out "Nope, you're not running an approved modpack, so tough luck!"

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Weltlich posted:

What's the favored hosting service these days? I've got a fairly stable mod pack I've been working on with some friends for a while, but we'd like to host it on a service so we don't have to have a personal machine running 24/7. I've googled it, and seen some that the price seemed reasonable, but I'm always leery of signing up for something only to find out "Nope, you're not running an approved modpack, so tough luck!"
I always just use Linode, personally. I've never had any issues.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I've always used Akliz and they've always been great.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Fortis posted:

:same:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fortis posted:

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to delete RFtools dimensions from my dimensional dialer? I am on a server, and was playing with RFtools for the first time, and a made a ton of worthless dimensions.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's one of the game commands specific to it. /rftdim safedel <dimension #>. See https://github.com/McJty/RFTools/wiki/RFTools-Commands

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yo how long have Viaducts been a thing cause they're fuckin great

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Fortis posted:

Yo how long have Viaducts been a thing cause they're fuckin great

A while, and they sure are.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Make an atomic reconstructor. This opens up IE capacitors. The HV one is fairly cheap.

Once you get the IE blast furnace (and ideally upgrade to the improved one) you never need to use the IC2 blast furnace again. Once you've got more power situated, you can add preheaters to the improved version for much faster steel production.

Is there a difference between LV MV and HV? i know with ic2 machines they blow up if you piss in the wind the wrong way, but any other machines?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Is there a difference between LV MV and HV? i know with ic2 machines they blow up if you piss in the wind the wrong way, but any other machines?

Nope, IE doesn't do the whole explodey thing. Only IC2 and its bastard step-child TechReborn do that. The only difference is how much RF/t the wires transport and how much the capacitors hold/can output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cool, ill see what i can do. Ive set up my empowerer, but it has no power lol.