Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

rydiafan posted:

:nws:http://imgur.com/a/dSAiS:nws:

Giant pierced armpit vagina

This is a really really well done awful tattoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Thin Privilege posted:

I don't generally believe these you-got-owned corrections but there's a feature in google translate I just discovered where you can write the character w touch and it recognizes it and it does, In fact, say "idiot foreigner."

I wasn't reading the comments at first and didn't see the guy being all smug condescending weeb about it ("huehuehue darling", really? This guy's loving insufferable and deserves that tattoo) and my brain parsed it as Chinese first.

Hilariously, it still works, as 馬虎 means "sloppy, careless" in modern Mandarin. Sloppy, careless foreigner is still pretty apt and it means this dude's tattoo tells about a billion people what a loving goober he is.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I wasn't reading the comments at first and didn't see the guy being all smug condescending weeb about it ("huehuehue darling", really? This guy's loving insufferable and deserves that tattoo) and my brain parsed it as Chinese first.

Hilariously, it still works, as 馬虎 means "sloppy, careless" in modern Mandarin. Sloppy, careless foreigner is still pretty apt and it means this dude's tattoo tells about a billion people what a loving goober he is.

Can't Japanese adults read Chinese newspapers? I think the meanings of the characters have stayed pretty consistent from when Japan took them.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

there wolf posted:

Can't Japanese adults read Chinese newspapers? I think the meanings of the characters have stayed pretty consistent from when Japan took them.

There are enough differences that it would probably be confusing. Kanji were introduced to Japan in the 5th century AD, and with 1600-odd years of language evolution in both countries, character simplification in mainland China, and characters created for Japanese use that don't exist in Chinese, the answer is "not really". The majority of kanji retain more or less the same meaning they had when they were imported, but that doesn't mean that their current use corresponds to the characters used in modern Chinese: a word with the same meaning often uses different characters, and the same characters may mean different (though often related) things in Chinese and Japanese. Example: 私 is watashi in Japanese and means "I". In modern Mandarin it is pronounced and means "personal, private, selfish" and I've only ever seen it as part of multisyllabic words like 隐私 yǐnsī "personal secrets, privacy". Related, but not the same.

There's actually a Chinese joke about this but it's only funny in Chinese. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

There are enough differences that it would probably be confusing. Kanji were introduced to Japan in the 5th century AD, and with 1600-odd years of language evolution in both countries, character simplification in mainland China, and characters created for Japanese use that don't exist in Chinese, the answer is "not really". The majority of kanji retain more or less the same meaning they had when they were imported, but that doesn't mean that their current use corresponds to the characters used in modern Chinese: a word with the same meaning often uses different characters, and the same characters may mean different (though often related) things in Chinese and Japanese. Example: 私 is watashi in Japanese and means "I". In modern Mandarin it is pronounced and means "personal, private, selfish" and I've only ever seen it as part of multisyllabic words like 隐私 yǐnsī "personal secrets, privacy". Related, but not the same.

There's actually a Chinese joke about this but it's only funny in Chinese. :v:

Can you tell it anyway? I love hearing my wife try to explain Cantonese sayings with "and it really doesn't sound as weird and dirty when not in english".

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'd love to hear it too. Reminds me of a line from Pacific Rim where Perlman's character says "are you funnin' me, son?" and there's apparently a Chinese pun in there someplace, I can't find the source atm.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I do that for Russian things sometimes. Like, "this joke is funny in Russian..." and people just stare at me because it's not funny in English.

Anyways this one always makes me laugh

"No translation"

I can't find the picture but one of my semi-relatives got a tattoo in Latin thinking it said like, "I transcend problems" or something but translated it meant something like "I am in the forest in the mountains".

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thin Privilege posted:

I can't find the picture but one of my semi-relatives got a tattoo in Latin thinking it said like, "I transcend problems" or something but translated it meant something like "I am in the forest in the mountains".

That's better than what they wanted

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

"Babylon is the world's leading dictionary and translation software"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Thin Privilege posted:

"No translation"

"No Translation" would be kinda awesome if it were deliberate.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

McPhearson posted:

"Babylon is the world's leading dictionary and translation software"

this is hilarious, but mostly because it's so hosed up and lovely that I can't tell what alphabet it's written in. She should save up $20 and get it covered up. Sure, it's twice what the tattoo cost originally, but..

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Good to know. It seemed a little odd that the writing systems would diverge over time, but someone tells you a fact in high school Japanese and you just kind of cling to it uncritically.

ladron posted:

this is hilarious, but mostly because it's so hosed up and lovely that I can't tell what alphabet it's written in. She should save up $20 and get it covered up. Sure, it's twice what the tattoo cost originally, but..

It's either Hebrew or the dark tongue of Mordor.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thin Privilege posted:

I do that for Russian things sometimes. Like, "this joke is funny in Russian..." and people just stare at me because it's not funny in English.

"No translation"

I came back because this bugged me. Was it some riff on "through difficulty, to heights"?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Found it, it was supposed to be something like, "my limits are higher than the mountains" but it's more like "I am at the end by the mountains" according to a guy who took Latin (many years ago though), and it's gibberish according to google translate

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"I am the forest in the mountains" would actually not be terrible, especially if you paired it with a nice little landscape. Way better than that gibberish, anyway.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

there wolf posted:

Good to know. It seemed a little odd that the writing systems would diverge over time, but someone tells you a fact in high school Japanese and you just kind of cling to it uncritically.

It's either Hebrew or the dark tongue of Mordor.

Tautology spotted.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Hilariously, it still works, as 馬虎 means "sloppy, careless" in modern Mandarin.
That second character is the Japanese 鹿 ("deer"), though, not 虎 (which would be "tiger"). Does that make it a triple-fail?

I'd love to see if that guy had any huehuehue left in him after the big reveal.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If you speak Mandarin, Dashan tells it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axJFcxbrvSo

If not, I can try. So there's this local lord named Hu Bu Zi (胡不字) and he's totally illiterate except for 5 characters:

胡 Hú (surname)
不 bù not
字 zì characters, letters
同 tóng same
意 yì meaning

So whenever someone brings him a proposal, he just signs it 同意 tóngyì "agree" or 不同意 bù tóngyì "disagree", and signs his name, 胡不字. He gets really good at writing these five characters, and eventually develops something of a reputation.

While on a trip to Japan, he is invited to demonstrate his skills. He pauses, afraid that the jig is up and everyone will know his secret, but then inspiration strikes.

"Visiting this country, I see our Chinese characters everywhere, familiar but somehow different."

With a flurry of brush strokes, he writes:

同意不同字 tóng yì bù tóng zì
Same meaning, but different characters.

同字不同意 tóng zì bù tóng yì
Same characters, but different meaning.

字同意不同 zì tóng yì bù tóng
The characters are the same, but the meaning is different.

意同字不同 yì tóng zì bù tóng
The meaning is the same but the characters are different.

~ 胡不字
Hu Bu Zi

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

I'd love to see if that guy had any huehuehue left in him after the big reveal.

Yeah I'd really like to see the weeaboo's response to that amazing revelation.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jokes on you, the tattoo is actually on a nurse.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Rad! Thanks for sharing. I love wordplay and jokes and appreciate it when folks explain that in languages I don't know.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you speak Mandarin, Dashan tells it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axJFcxbrvSo

If not, I can try. So there's this local lord named Hu Bu Zi (胡不字) and he's totally illiterate except for 5 characters:

胡 Hú (surname)
不 bù not
字 zì characters, letters
同 tóng same
意 yì meaning

So whenever someone brings him a proposal, he just signs it 同意 tóngyì "agree" or 不同意 bù tóngyì "disagree", and signs his name, 胡不字. He gets really good at writing these five characters, and eventually develops something of a reputation.

While on a trip to Japan, he is invited to demonstrate his skills. He pauses, afraid that the jig is up and everyone will know his secret, but then inspiration strikes.

"Visiting this country, I see our Chinese characters everywhere, familiar but somehow different."

With a flurry of brush strokes, he writes:

同意不同字 tóng yì bù tóng zì
Same meaning, but different characters.

同字不同意 tóng zì bù tóng yì
Same characters, but different meaning.

字同意不同 zì tóng yì bù tóng
The characters are the same, but the meaning is different.

意同字不同 yì tóng zì bù tóng
The meaning is the same but the characters are different.

~ 胡不字
Hu Bu Zi

Thanks! I'm quoting this so I can show it to my Mandarin speaking in-laws.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Thin Privilege posted:

Found it, it was supposed to be something like, "my limits are higher than the mountains" but it's more like "I am at the end by the mountains" according to a guy who took Latin (many years ago though), and it's gibberish according to google translate

Translated super literally it's "In [the] mountains is a boundary/end/limit and I." With the accusative form of "boundary" instead of the nominative.

I think he'd have wanted "Termini mei altior sunt quam montes." Something like that, I'm no expert either.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Aug 8, 2017

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Thin Privilege posted:

google translate can't really do latin but yeah I'm pretty sure this is gibberish.
Even "I am at the end by the mountains" would be wrong because the verb est is in the 3rd person form so it doesn't agree with anything, the "ego" doesn't fit anywhere.
also the "In" probably shouldn't have a capital letter but whatever

sout has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Aug 8, 2017

CptSpaulding
Feb 19, 2013

I work for a company based out of Germany while I am in the US. I use Google Translate a lot but the strange thing is that I will type something in English and translate it to German. Then take the German and translate it back to English and it's all screwed up. I am an idiot when it comes to foreign language so I have no clue why. That said, translating some tattoo from another language to English, could it be translated to different things? It seems every foreign language tattoo is translated differently by each person. And that's why I refuse to get a tattoo in another language. And I would absolutely never let a foreigner tattoo words on me in their language. Those that do I have no clue why they don't attempt to translate it first instead of getting "kick me" tattooed on their back.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Romanes eunt domus. Machine translation alone doesn't pick up on a lot of the nuance of natural language. Professional translators have software that lets them speed up the process, but they still have to be fluent in the original and target languages because adjustments and corrections have to be made.

厠妖

Toilet goblin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Romanes eunt domus. Machine translation alone doesn't pick up on a lot of the nuance of natural language. Professional translators have software that lets them speed up the process, but they still have to be fluent in the original and target languages because adjustments and corrections have to be made.

厠妖

Toilet goblin.

Toilet goblin could actually make for a rad tattoo.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

CommonShore posted:

New band name thanks!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

there wolf posted:

I came back because this bugged me. Was it some riff on "through difficulty, to heights"?
that would be weird, since "per aspera ad astra" is a very common latin phrase meaning roughly "through hardships to the stars"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have some Latin on my shoulder that I got when I was a dumb 18 year old with Google translate and I've always been scared to ask a real Latin scholar what it actually means. That tattoo could probably go in this thread.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

areyoucontagious posted:

I have some Latin on my shoulder that I got when I was a dumb 18 year old with Google translate and I've always been scared to ask a real Latin scholar what it actually means. That tattoo could probably go in this thread.

:justpost:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Please pretend I don't have disgusting hairy skin:
Truth Justice Honor Valor in case you were wondering, ladies :cool:

The middle bit is "meus fides est Dominus"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have Latin on my shoulder, but it's specifically related to the rest of the piece, so whatever.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

areyoucontagious posted:

FTFY

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Thank you. I've never been able to figure out what I was doing wrong- I'm phone posting which probably doesn't help

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

areyoucontagious posted:

What did you want it to say?

If you wanted it to say "My faith is in the Lord," it doesn't say that.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

AlbieQuirky posted:

What did you want it to say?

If you wanted it to say "My faith is in the Lord," it doesn't say that.

It's been a long time but I think my goal was "my strength is the Lord" or maybe "godlike strength"? Lot more religious back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

areyoucontagious posted:

"Fides" is feminine, so at the very least that needed to be "mea".

And then it says "my faith is the Lord".

If you were going for "my faith is in the Lord", you need "in Domino".

Having "est" there isn't wrong, but it would often be dropped unless you were countering an earlier denial or something.

Word order isn't really fixed in Latin, but you'd shift to the front whatever you're particularly emphasizing. "Fides mea in Domino (est)" is the most natural order. "Mea" in front is like you're saying "I don't know about you guys, but". Similarly, "In Domino fides mea" would imply you're almost rejecting other stuff to puth your faith in (maybe gear or superiors).

All in all, it doesn't say "My Lord is your dong" or antyhing, so :shrug: