Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well that's good news for the 3 people left playing for honor, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Zetsubou-san posted:

there are slim pickings this week. these are the games that fell out of my spreadsheet when i shook it:

Shattered Planet - $1.49 (-90%) - isometric roguelike featuring short runs and progression
Spice Road - $4.99 (-75%) - city-builder and trading sim
Kingdoms of Amalamadingdong: Reckoning™ - $4.99 (-75%)
Dungeonmans - $9.89 (-34%)
Slime Rancher - $13.39 (-33%)

Have you looked at Heroes of a Broken Land?

Are any of these decent? I've got some free time and I'm trying to find something fun to fill it with, looking at open world or RPGs. Slime rancher in particular but it looks so... boring

I just want to run around and explore a world and upgrade my loot with stuff I find with a character that develops over time or maybe doesn't

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Are any of these decent? I've got some free time and I'm trying to find something fun to fill it with, looking at open world or RPGs. Slime rancher in particular but it looks so... boring

I just want to run around and explore a world and upgrade my loot with stuff I find with a character that develops over time or maybe doesn't

You could do worse than Kingdoms of Amalur if all you wanna do is level up and clear out the world map with some pretty entertaining combat. Just don't expect anything out of the story.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

exquisite tea posted:

You could do worse than Kingdoms of Amalur if all you wanna do is level up and clear out the world map with some pretty entertaining combat. Just don't expect anything out of the story.

I second this. The gameplay is fun. The story....doesn't matter.

Just do the quests that seem interesting. You can skip the collecting 10 bear asses if you choose.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

well that's good news for the 3 people left playing for honor, i guess

2 big issues with for honor imo. Awful balancing. Ubisoft didn't balance or nerf any of the op poo poo. Defending is too easy while attacking is all risk without any reward.

No dedicated server on a "competitive" game is a deathwish.

I still like this first person sword genre like For Honor, Chivalry warfare.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Dungeonmans is a blast! It's a goon-made roguelike. It's plenty challenging and the skill trees are great. You can mix and match any trees you like. There's also a legacy system in place to help future heroes have a better time by teaching the skills, passing down gear, and boosting stats. Even with that help the game can still wreck your day if you get cocky. It's a great game and I've been professing it's virtues in here, in the roguelike thread, and in the Dungeonmans thread since I had an 8 hour marathon of it this past Sunday. I haven't done that with a game in years. It didn't even happen with Breath of the Wild.

What I'm saying is Dungeonmans is excellent.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

I second this. The gameplay is fun. The story....doesn't matter.

Just do the quests that seem interesting. You can skip the collecting 10 bear asses if you choose.

Very much this. There is SO MUCH LORE in the game, it is kind of mind boggling. When I played the game, I initially consumed all the lore, but it quickly became overwhelming. And the sheer amount of incidental content is such that it'd *entirely* derail the game if you let it. But as a casual action-RPG romp with fantastical trappings, I found it quite enjoyable. Edit: When you consider the development and studio history behind the game, 'single player MMO' is a fairly able description (albeit with better action).

magimix fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 8, 2017

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

Dungeonmans is a blast! It's a goon-made roguelike. It's plenty challenging and the skill trees are great. You can mix and match any trees you like. There's also a legacy system in place to help future heroes have a better time by teaching the skills, passing down gear, and boosting stats. Even with that help the game can still wreck your day if you get cocky. It's a great game and I've been professing it's virtues in here, in the roguelike thread, and in the Dungeonmans thread since I had an 8 hour marathon of it this past Sunday. I haven't done that with a game in years. It didn't even happen with Breath of the Wild.

What I'm saying is Dungeonmans is excellent.

Just wanted to second this. Dungeonmans is probably my all-time favorite roguelike. It's reaaaaaaaaaaaally really good.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
upside of playing kingdom of amalur: playing the game that bankrupted rhode island
downside of playing kingdom of amalur: playing a game that curt schilling was involved with

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

As a Rhode Islander, I can assure you that it actually wasn't KoA that bankrupted Rhode Island, but the followup MMO project that was never released. Curt Schilling had very little to do with KoA's production, in fact. Game without shame.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

This is real helpful, especially the combo details. The boss stuff never occurred to me, so I guess it would pay to get good at killing them.

As far as heads go, have you found any more useful than the turret head? It does so much damage and it can hit things you can't.

There's one that hurls you downward and creates a rather deadly shockwave when you hit the ground.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

As a Rhode Islander, I can assure you that it actually wasn't KoA that bankrupted Rhode Island, but the followup MMO project that was never released. Curt Schilling had very little to do with KoA's production, in fact. Game without shame.

I was under the impression that Kingdoms of Amalur (the one we got, not the MMO) was originally Big Huge Games' "Big Huge RPG".

Curt's Studio bought BHG, then brought in RA Salvatore to fit BHG's RPG into the "lore" and "world" of their dumb MMO and prop up the studio so they could keep working on the MMO.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought the company developing kingdoms of amalur went bankrupt and forfeited their property to the state of rhode island, not that it bankrupted an entire state

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

KoA's camera is the only thing gaming related that has caused me to feel legit nausea.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i thought the company developing kingdoms of amalur went bankrupt and forfeited their property to the state of rhode island, not that it bankrupted an entire state

38 Studios received a $75 million dollar loan from the state of RI in 2010. They moved operations from MA to Providence and used that loan to finance two projects. One of them was Kingdoms of Amalur developed under their subsidiary Big Huge Games and already under development at the time they received the loan. It was a moderate success and mostly made back its production costs. The other, which ended up becoming the black hole of development that Rhode Island pissed away $50 million in taxpayer money on was Project Copernicus, Curt Schilling's pet MMO project that was never released. In 2012 the checks started bouncing and 38 Studios couldn't make payroll. It didn't literally bankrupt the state but when all was said and done RI was still left on the hook for about $30 million even after all the litigation and lawsuits.

It's true that if you buy KoA now you're giving us Rhode Islanders $$$.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dungeonmans looks like it's full price? Am I missing something (besides Dungeonmans)?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Amalur is a perfect game to mindlessly play through while listening to music or a podcast or something. I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around, assassinating various magical creatures and admiring the pretty environments. I skipped through 99% of the story though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Dungeonmans looks like it's full price? Am I missing something (besides Dungeonmans)?

Dungeonmans is showing as full price here. It was on sale over the weekend, maybe the sale price was lingering? That sucks about the sale ending v

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Pony island is currently free (Drm free copy, not steam) on humble bundle!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zetsubou-san posted:

I've been playing Axes and Acres and it is a good single-player strategy board-game by the same people that made the chesslike puzzle game Militia

It is also on sale this week for 5 bux

----

I bounced hard off of Dungeon Manager ZV 2 so i refunded it

yeah i didn't like it either. they turned a cool weird thing into a tower defense, and it's a perfectly fine one but that's not what anyone who played ZV 1 would want

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

38 Studios received a $75 million dollar loan from the state of RI in 2010. They moved operations from MA to Providence and used that loan to finance two projects. One of them was Kingdoms of Amalur developed under their subsidiary Big Huge Games and already under development at the time they received the loan. It was a moderate success and mostly made back its production costs. The other, which ended up becoming the black hole of development that Rhode Island pissed away $50 million in taxpayer money on was Project Copernicus, Curt Schilling's pet MMO project that was never released. In 2012 the checks started bouncing and 38 Studios couldn't make payroll. It didn't literally bankrupt the state but when all was said and done RI was still left on the hook for about $30 million even after all the litigation and lawsuits.

It's true that if you buy KoA now you're giving us Rhode Islanders $$$.

why on god's grey earth was rhode island investing in video game development, was that their idea of building a tech sector or something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah our state is incredibly bad + dumb.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well they got bankrupted by a baseball man so that's a given

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

why on god's grey earth was rhode island investing in video game development, was that their idea of building a tech sector or something

Don't forget that for a while people who didn't understand games at all saw World of Warcraft basically printing money and thought it was a vast untapped market they could easily buy into either directly into WoW or by "simply" creating a clone. See also: Steve Bannon.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

InfiniteZero posted:

Don't forget that for a while people who didn't understand games at all saw World of Warcraft basically printing money and thought it was a vast untapped market they could easily buy into either directly into WoW or by "simply" creating a clone. See also: Steve Bannon.

The mid to late 00s were a wonderful time for dumb MMO-related bullshit brought on by WoW's success.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
soooo many lovely MMOs came out after WoW

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Ulio posted:

2 big issues with for honor imo. Awful balancing. Ubisoft didn't balance or nerf any of the op poo poo. Defending is too easy while attacking is all risk without any reward.

No dedicated server on a "competitive" game is a deathwish.

Hey guess what, good news, they are fixing both those issues! Dedicated servers are coming and they are in the process of re-balancing the whole 'defence is OP' thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SirSamVimes posted:

They added a stag station to the Ancient Basin which makes getting to that area a LOT better.

Oh thank God.

And yeah Amalur is a decent game as long as you don't burn yourself out on side quests and poo poo. The story is obnoxiously long but it's still a pretty cool game. Sort of a more open Darksiders that yeah very much feels a lot like a single player MMO.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bad Parenting posted:

Hey guess what, good news, they are fixing both those issues! Dedicated servers are coming and they are in the process of re-balancing the whole 'defence is OP' thing.

again, good news for the 3 people left playing for honor

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Digirat posted:

Well they got bankrupted by a baseball man so that's a given

Dude that's nothing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island_banking_crisis

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Humble MicroJumbo Bundle

FREE! (but no steam key):
Space Pilgrim Episode 1
Pony Island

$1:
Geometry Dash
Pony Island
Oh... Sir! The Insult Simulator
Space Pilgrim Episodes 1-4

BTA:
Who's Your Daddy
Town of Salem
hack_me
hack_me 2
Devil Daggers
Oh... Sir! The Hollywood Roast

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Apparently cards from that crappy batman tf2 clone sell for twice as much as your average trading card. Any idea why?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Are the 'hack_me's any good if I liked Hacknet and Uplink

e: those bullet points aren't exactly compelling

we're literally trying to sell you our game on references!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Are the 'hack_me's any good if I liked Hacknet and Uplink

e: those bullet points aren't exactly compelling

we're literally trying to sell you our game on references!

Worked for Ready Player One for books/movies through that market is kind of overdone in games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Wildtortilla posted:

Dungeonmans is showing as full price here. It was on sale over the weekend, maybe the sale price was lingering? That sucks about the sale ending v

I think Zetsubo-san's recommendations were pulling from last week's list... I know I featured Shattered Planet last week but that deal ended Monday morning.

PantsBandit posted:

Apparently cards from that crappy batman tf2 clone sell for twice as much as your average trading card. Any idea why?

The only way to get cards from F2P games on Steam is to spend actual money through the Steam version of it. You only get one card per $9 you spend, too, so they're much rarer than average.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

Nongunz hint: The big weapon display lets you buy weapons and heads, so you don't need to fish for them inside the castle. It's a good idea to dump points into this even if you don't need anything right now.

Question about this part (i.e. what was I doing wrong)-- I played a bit last night and filled in an entire weapon, at least I'm 99% sure it was completely full, I kept adding extra points and it didn't appear to fill in any further, but I couldn't figure out what I had to do to get it off the wall, wtf?

I haven't played a lot of the actual game, I only had the points for it because I was testing how the idle thing worked so I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have what I needed to get it unlocked yet or something

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

The mid to late 00s were a wonderful time for dumb MMO-related bullshit brought on by WoW's success.

Now companies chase after that sweet sweet F2P MOBA money instead! :haw:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

flesh dance posted:

Question about this part (i.e. what was I doing wrong)-- I played a bit last night and filled in an entire weapon, at least I'm 99% sure it was completely full, I kept adding extra points and it didn't appear to fill in any further, but I couldn't figure out what I had to do to get it off the wall, wtf?

I haven't played a lot of the actual game, I only had the points for it because I was testing how the idle thing worked so I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have what I needed to get it unlocked yet or something

If you're on a controller, holding A fills it up, and hitting Y makes it appear. You can keep pumping points in to raise the weapon's level.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Higher resolution graphics? Redone music? Difficulty modes? Multiple save files? Play as Curly?
Am I alone in thinking the original Cave Story graphics are a lot more charming than the redone ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

If you're on a controller, holding A fills it up, and hitting Y makes it appear. You can keep pumping points in to raise the weapon's level.

I am, thanks! (Also that sounds so obvious, how did I not do that? Well, heck, it was late :shobon:)