Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Leif. posted:

I mean, I feel dirty saying "Reddit has a point" but this review actively made me feel stupider for having read it.

Not only is there a way to craft ammo mid-mission, it's the ONLY way. My guess is he rage-quit after running out of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

This game is fun, I am enjoying this game. I would not recommend this game.
Agreed 100%. My money's already spent and I don't really regret it, but the monetization system of an early access game with a $40+ price tag is a total joke.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

Agreed 100%. My money's already spent and I don't really regret it, but the monetization system of an early access game with a $40+ price tag is a total joke.

Maybe this whole Early Access period is a developer scam on the marketing guys to collect a ton of internet vitriol to prove to them that it won't fly, and they can correct it for launch?

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Skandranon posted:

Maybe this whole Early Access period is a developer scam on the marketing guys to collect a ton of internet vitriol to prove to them that it won't fly, and they can correct it for launch?

This may be the most optimistic gaming comment I've ever seen, I hope you're right.

I've played a poo poo ton, and I've definitely enjoyed it, but I also recommended it to my brother early on and now I feel a bit lovely as a result. This review is also pretty fair: https://youtu.be/E9Ac9GmJTls

Game is fun, but the monetization is horrific. Here's hoping they manage to turn it around.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
If they had a guild system, it would be a lot easier to craft weapons for guild members, and that should actually alleviate a lot of the problems with the grind. Some whales will have Legendary BPs, and the mats the need would not be hard to farm.

Also using this as another opportunity to shamelessly plug my Goonite Schematic Share spreadsheet. Put your good BPs in! Get Goons to make things for you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RJPUX7u_oefkg5y-VY-yJ9ZHPDpMK8rnRJmukHv2tqg/edit#gid=0

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Leif. posted:

I'd settle for a review to just be accurate.

There are flaws to be sure, but honestly I'd question whether the reviewer played for more than 20 minutes. Not only can you craft more ammo mid-mission, but it's literally right there on your UI in big letters saying "HOLD R TO CRAFT MORE AMMO DUMBASS". The inventory has a tab in it called "Crafting" that, rather intuitively, tells you exactly how much of what resource (names included) is required to build it. And as for the inventory being "crowded" -- that's a rather intuitive side effect of refusing to retire/recycle the things in it, given that doing so is basically the primary way of getting XP items.

I mean, I feel dirty saying "Reddit has a point" but this review actively made me feel stupider for having read it.

He may have run out of ammo during a storm shield mission. Ive done that before and you're poo poo out of luck if you dont have nuts and bolts since there are none on the map. Hes also entirely correct about the meaningless skill tree (you have to get most of it to progress anyway), the ridiculously bad monetization, excessively long and easy tutorial, and the lovely UI.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Leif. posted:

I'd settle for a review to just be accurate.

There are flaws to be sure, but honestly I'd question whether the reviewer played for more than 20 minutes. Not only can you craft more ammo mid-mission, but it's literally right there on your UI in big letters saying "HOLD R TO CRAFT MORE AMMO DUMBASS". The inventory has a tab in it called "Crafting" that, rather intuitively, tells you exactly how much of what resource (names included) is required to build it. And as for the inventory being "crowded" -- that's a rather intuitive side effect of refusing to retire/recycle the things in it, given that doing so is basically the primary way of getting XP items.

I actually thought this review was spot on and did a really good job explaining what works and doesn't work about Fortnite. I think what he means is not literally "there is no way to craft ammo" but rather "I can't craft ammo mid-mission without hunting down more random nuts and bolts". I can see how that would be misleading about this part, but I think in general his criticisms are super valid. E.g. the basic incentive problems created in every co-op mission which discourage working together, progress being largely gated by llamas, survivors etc. being a really unsatisfying system.

I like the game, but I think it really needs to fix these issues if it's going to have staying power.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The amount of time players spend holding E on gameobjects and pressing M1 on them is the dumbest poo poo ever. No one wants to play the missions because crafting materials/boring looting is apparently the most fun thing you can do in the world.

No one wants to use building materials on the missions or build in general because they want to save all their resources for their base.

gently caress tencent.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 8, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they need a looting timer or something it gets ridiculous when missions take like 45 minutes cause everyone wants every possible scrap of loot.

Also one minor annoyance about looting is you have to stand still well holding the button, if you move at all around the container it resets.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Don't play with randoms if you can avoid it. Irrespective of all the other problems with the game, it's way better with friends.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

ColHannibal posted:

This game needs to be ripped apart hardcore to wake epic the gently caress up. This has so much potential and is so much fun but this rewards system is going to be cancer that kills this game.

Basically yes.

My first exposure to Fortnite was at San Diego Comic Con, in 2012. I got to watch Cliffy B talk up the game, and he was so transparent about it all - Effectively "We have built a cool system, now we need to make a game out of it!". I then spent the next few months explaining what I had seen to my friends, and cursing that nobody leaked the Comic Con footage. Years passed, and little murmurs of the game bubbled to the surface - more development, progress was happening, 'We want it to be a new breed of F2P that is player friendly', amazing gameplay footage, you name it.

Finally I joined the alpha, and was stoked to see the game held up to years of simmering hype. It wasn't exactly what I had painted in my minds eye, but gently caress me it was close enough and that was all that mattered. It developed well, some stuff was experimented with, things changed, added, removed - but in all, still really solid. During this time the devs were really vocal and the alpha forums were a great place to communicate.

Then the progression poo poo got slathered on, in, and around every orifice of the game. Honestly, the feedback from people when it was first put in equated t 'Wow this system is rough as guts, look forward to see it getting refined a bit' - but it didn't. Tons of awesome feedback was offered, and it was genuinely stuff that was suggested to keep the spirit of F2P elements, but making sure players didn't feel suffocated by it. But the communication dried right up. It felt like higher ups at Epic said 'This thing has to start making money, or the plug gets pulled - now' so they shoe horned stuff in

I don't post much in this thread, because I don't have a lot to say about the game that is positive. I say the same thing to all of my friends - 'The on the ground game play is wicked snappy and fun for the most part, but the overworld/management stuff is just a slog'. And then I recommend for them to wait for it to go F2P and see if they like it, because I don't recommend it as it currently is.

I urge you, if you genuinely like the game and want it to improve, take the time to use whatever feedback form is within reach and express how you feel. I have a fairly high tolerance for bullshit as long as I am having a good time, but this title really trips my threshold. Alternatively, you can call me a sadbrain loser for being this bummed about a F2P game, but eh, I feel fairly justified.

Note: That review, though flawed, still says this: Fortnite suffocates what could be an incredible tower defense game beneath the sum of the most tangential, egregious, impersonal progression systems we’ve seen. And it's true. This game is likely going to die with a whimper, and it bums me the gently caress out.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BabelFish posted:

Don't play with randoms if you can avoid it. Irrespective of all the other problems with the game, it's way better with friends.

The people I game with literally do the same thing and argue I'm telling them how to play the game when I point out we're running around looting forever instead of doing the mission. The game just encourages it that much.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I urge you, if you genuinely like the game and want it to improve, take the time to use whatever feedback form is within reach and express how you feel. I have a fairly high tolerance for bullshit as long as I am having a good time, but this title really trips my threshold. Alternatively, you can call me a sadbrain loser for being this bummed about a F2P game, but eh, I feel fairly justified.

Chinese investors do not care. They literally control 48% of epic. Review scores do not equate to RoI and they will just launch this game internationally and will make their money. There's some guy who has already spent $1500 on llamas and I'm sure numerous others who don't make it so public. Whales are the future of online game monetization.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 9, 2017

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

puberty worked me over posted:

Chinese investors do not care. They literally control 48% of epic.

Wow, I had no idea - but that does make a whole bunch of sense.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is it the same people who own warframe because that would make sense

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
the new loot llama is the 'legendary troll loot truck llama'. Costs 1500 vbucks, and has 20 items in it. Has anyone purchased it and can comment on the type of poo poo they got?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is it the same people who own warframe because that would make sense

No Leyou Technologies Holding Limited owns 58% of Warframe. Perfect Online Holding Limited owns 3%. So a different chinese holding company owns the vast majority of the game.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Veritas posted:

the new loot llama is the 'legendary troll loot truck llama'. Costs 1500 vbucks, and has 20 items in it. Has anyone purchased it and can comment on the type of poo poo they got?

It certainly feels like it could be VERY misleading if it isn't two pulls with a guaranteed legendary in each. There seems to be no discussion of it on the general internet either.

Edit: After looking at a reddit post it looks like it's a guaranteed upgrade to gold. I opened one, got one legendary melee hammer, two legendary traps, three epic survivors and a bunch of epic misc stuff. People have been getting mythic crap from it too. Sadly only had enough to open one. Oh well.

Blorknorg fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 9, 2017

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah if that llama doesn't have some guaranteed legends or something its a waste since 15 regular llamas would get you a lot more than 20 items.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I dropped a tenner to test it out with my stored up vbux covering the rest. Seven legendaries, two weapons and five survivors. The rest were purple/blue.

Not the best sample size but its a promising pull at least.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
It seems to have 4 guaranteed legendaries, possibly more. I got a hero, a sniper, golf club and survivor. Not bad if you aren't after anything specific.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Got 5 legends out of 21 items total. The llama upgraded to gold but I dunno if that makes a difference or if it always does that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Veritas posted:

6 legendary items in my first, 5 in the second. (no mythics, unfortunately)

Someone in in global chat claimed they got 2 mythics and 6 legendaries but I don't know if they bought one or both. If they got all that from both that's great luck, if they got all 8 from a single troll truck that's insane luck.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
A friend of mine bought this and gave me a free code, so cool. I've put in about 10 hours; first and foremost, I will say there is fun gameplay to be had, because hoo boy is it buried under a lot of negatives.

"Cancer" is definitely the first word that comes to mind. I haven't even hit a paywall yet but this game is dripping mobile pay to win vibes, it's horny for your wallet and doesn't try to hide it.

The UI is schizophrenic, menus aren't arranged in any sort of logical organization. There are so many different systems which don't really intermesh, the design choices regarding itemization and progression are bizarre. The game is supposed to be a co-op PvE game but every system goes out of it's way to disincentivize being anything but a selfish jerk.

The attempts at humor are the worst I have ever seen in a professionally developed video game. Every time the drat robot talks, or those smarmy loving llamas try to make banter, leaves me feeling repulsed. I cannot wrap my head around the idea that whoever wrote this didn't intend every line with anything but the utmost contempt for their audience.

All that being said, I could see this being a blast if you're playing with actual friends that you genuinely want to cooperate with. All of the above poo poo I just said, the game is still fun with pubs (at 10% of what it could be.) This game needs a guild system badly - I'm sure it's coming, since the idea of a big badass guild fort is too obvious not to.

Anyway, my prediction is that this game is loving DOA unless they do improbably massive revamps between now and launch.

Don't spend money on this game, but if you got a friend with a code anyway, might as well try it.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 9, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Class skills need to be based on cooldown or energy, not both!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

Class skills need to be based on cooldown or energy, not both!

Agree.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Got the mythic ninja, and a bunch of weird legendary pistol schems on my "free" buy. I said F it and bought $10 worth of V bucks and got junk on the 2nd. Too bad I dont have the hero xp to lvl up and use the ninja though, seems baller with the right support stacks.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
So apparently you can do really fucky things to the AI pathing if you, say, fortify one particular approach to a storm shield amplifier beyond all reason or sanity. The husks from that particular spawn point all NOPED right off and started attacking the defenses around my actual storm shield. I wish I knew if they could have damaged it, or if their pathing really concluded that it was better to smash through the storm shield's defenses, out the other side, walk across the map, and then attack the weak side of the amplifier.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Don't spend money on this game, but if you got a friend with a code anyway, might as well try it.

Can't 'agree' with posts, but basically this.

Edit: Just for the record - I'd likely be playing the game, albeit unenthusiastically, if I too had free access.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 9, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TheBlandName posted:

So apparently you can do really fucky things to the AI pathing if you, say, fortify one particular approach to a storm shield amplifier beyond all reason or sanity. The husks from that particular spawn point all NOPED right off and started attacking the defenses around my actual storm shield. I wish I knew if they could have damaged it, or if their pathing really concluded that it was better to smash through the storm shield's defenses, out the other side, walk across the map, and then attack the weak side of the amplifier.

They have weird but mostly reliable pathing.
If you have a cube with identical walls and a fence with a hole in it, they will do their best to funnel into that hole so long as there is not a beefy trap just behind it.
However, a couple of gas traps right next to it seems to not factor in :)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Note: That review, though flawed, still says this: Fortnite suffocates what could be an incredible tower defense game beneath the sum of the most tangential, egregious, impersonal progression systems we’ve seen. And it's true. This game is likely going to die with a whimper, and it bums me the gently caress out.

You say that, but just this page we've got goons dropping tidy little sums to get llamas, and the whales.

It's an odd one, with the F2P crap I can't at all recommend someone buy this. But yesterday my brother and his girlfriend set their PS4s up round mine and bashing out some tough missions was really, really fun.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I enjoy the game but I think it's fair to not recommend loot box based games to people you like.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

stop giving these guys money

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Not to say there aren't exceptions, but by the time you've reached the end of plank you'll have probably accrued ~5k free v-bux. Between the troll llamas and the super llamas so far we've probably got one more good llama left if you haven't spent any on random llamas. I'll take the loot they give me, but definitely won't be buying more.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

StabMasterArson posted:

stop giving these guys money
No

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Survival mode the dev update 2 talked about sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Spend up to a "fortnight" of ingame time with multi-wave-defense style gameplay where you gather and build during the day, then defend at night, with increasing rewards the longer you play.

I could see them bringing in schematics/heroes/etc as "final" tier rewards in this mode since it would take so long to complete a full round, which would at least partially resolve some major complaints about meaningful progression being paygated.

(am I the only one who finds it hilarious that the final reply the thread has been hung on for the last ~2 days is a skinner box gif?)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Skandranon posted:

Not only is there a way to craft ammo mid-mission, it's the ONLY way. My guess is he rage-quit after running out of ammo.
Yeah that kind of annoyed me at least once when I wanted to make a gun or something between missions to make sure i had the stuff. Of course I could load up my base but that seems like a waste of time

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Got an epic survivalist hawk. Thinking of leveling him up to 18 for his no durability damage perk, and using my legendary grenade launcher. Has anyone tried a similar build?

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
Mango?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Veritas posted:

Got an epic survivalist hawk. Thinking of leveling him up to 18 for his no durability damage perk, and using my legendary grenade launcher. Has anyone tried a similar build?

That sounds hilarious and fun. But also not actually very good. Don't let that stop you if you want to try it though.

See, the thing is that while AoE damage gets you showered with combat score, it's not actually very necessary to supply it with weapons. Anything small enough to be killed by "level appropriate" AoE suffers enormous damage penalties against walls and will vaporize on contact with traps, BASE-electrified walls, and harsh language.

So turning one of the only good single target skills into a long cool-down AoE seems impractical.

But gently caress practicality. Make some explosions and have everyone in your party think, "Man he's going HARD to carry us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My favorite combat character is a constructor lady. She have like 5K shield and 11K life, but every 20 seconds can drop a AOE device that kills trash mobs and amp the shield to 10K. She also have something like 25% energy regen. When I play with a ninja, I like to pretend this character is a ninja too, only with a fat butt.

• Locked thread