Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CainsDescendant posted:

It didn't make my eyes catch on fire

If this is the standard you judge bad TV by, is any show bad to you?

"Man, this Viva Laughlin show is some real trash, but at least my eyes aren't on fire! Better keep watching!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like it more than most here so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But yeah, its got lots of big flaws and is the worst of the Defenders shows but I still think its a perfect fine binge watch. I wouldn't call it worse than "mediocre" and if you're invested in the Defenders thing then its got stuff that will probably matter.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

"Man, this Viva Laughlin show is some real trash, but at least my eyes aren't on fire! Better keep watching!"

As someone who has daily encounters with not very clever people (e.g. builders and blacks) even they would not stoop to such a level of utter retardation made manifest by the words above this post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

WampaLord posted:

I can't watch reality TV without scorching my orbs, but I'm admittedly not picky when it comes to superhero shows. I still have a sense of childlike wonder that this live action high budget expanded universe hero media even exists.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

verdigris murder posted:

As someone who has daily encounters with not very clever people (e.g. builders and blacks) even they would not stoop to such a level of utter retardation made manifest by the words above this post.

loving yikes :eyepop:

I was making a joke (I realize that the poster in question's eyes are not literally combusting), but don't say "blacks" and compare them to the mentally deficient!

CainsDescendant posted:

I can't watch reality TV without scorching my orbs, but I'm admittedly not picky when it comes to superhero shows. I still have a sense of childlike wonder that this live action high budget expanded universe hero media even exists.

I was just teasing a bit, I'm a huge fan of most of this endless trash as well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

verdigris murder posted:

shut the gently caress up and die

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Guys it was a joke. Luke Cage refutes my statement pretty comprehensively.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
"it was just a prank bro"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Iron Fist will have a new showrunner next season, so that might be a reason to check it out and compare how much it possibly improves. Might be worth waiting for that good worth of mouth before bothering though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Also, Scott Buck's new Inhumans is bombing so hard it's almost unprecedented, so if you want something to cheer you up, see what people have tweeted about the TCA upfronts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teek posted:

Iron Fist will have a new showrunner next season, so that might be a reason to check it out and compare how much it possibly improves. Might be worth waiting for that good worth of mouth before bothering though.

Won't fix a terrible actor playing a lovely character.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I made it 3/4 of the way into episode 2 of Iron Fist and nope'd on out of there due to the overwhelming boring and my inability to take a floppy haired twinky white man seriously as any kind of threat to anybody

Disappointed that his suck apparently bleeds into the Defenders show.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

I made it 3/4 of the way into episode 2 of Iron Fist and nope'd on out of there due to the overwhelming boring and my inability to take a floppy haired twinky white man seriously as any kind of threat to anybody

Disappointed that his suck apparently bleeds into the Defenders show.

An interesting show, The Meachums, is buried in Iron Fist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prq2FPRuiGY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

homullus posted:

An interesting show, The Meachums, is buried in Iron Fist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prq2FPRuiGY

Ah ha ha ha there's a related video listed called 'Everytime The Iron Fist Used His Iron Fist on Marvel's Iron Fist ' and it's only three and a half minutes long. Note that it's not just every time he used it to punch something, it's every time he lit it up at all.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ah ha ha ha there's a related video listed called 'Everytime The Iron Fist Used His Iron Fist on Marvel's Iron Fist ' and it's only three and a half minutes long. Note that it's not just every time he used it to punch something, it's every time he lit it up at all.

There is also a story about a superhero named Iron Fist buried in Iron Fist.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

homullus posted:

There is also a story about a superhero named Iron Fist buried in Iron Fist.

The grainy black an white is both refreshing and yet disappointing in this 4k world.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's a very, very very slow origin story about a rich kid who jumped the line avoiding the destiny he won by doing so. He like hip-hop a lot, as rich white kids are wont to do, and doesn't use his powers (when they work) and skills constantly because he subscribes to what is basically the Power Rangers school of battle, which is not to escalate until your opponent does. Combine this with being a young spoiled guy, and you get the current Iron Fist. The other Defenders aren't going to let him get away with all his poo poo for very long.

Harold Meachum is the best part of the show, for sure.

If it didn't follow Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and it was on network television, people would be talking less smack about it. It's the newest one, so Luke Cage gets a reprieve from "being the worst."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Counterpoint

"If people never had steak they wouldn't be complaining so much about this poo poo sandwich"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Inhumans is gonna be on network TV and people are talking a lot of poo poo about that so

:ssh: Iron Fist might just be bad

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Inhumans is gonna be on network TV and people are talking a lot of poo poo about that so

Inhumans is going to be on network TV because they're trying to salvage something from that lovely movie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Counterpoint

"If people never had steak they wouldn't be complaining so much about this poo poo sandwich"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No no, he's got a point. If all of the shows had come out in the reverse order, people wouldn't give their first attempt so much flak.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

RareAcumen posted:

No no, he's got a point. If all of the shows had come out in the reverse order, people wouldn't give their first attempt so much flak.

Yeah. The problem is they opened with DeKnight given time and space to do his thing, and are now onto Buck with an accelerated timeline. Mind you, if they had opened with Buck would they have had as good a viewership for the DeKnight work? Probably not, Buck probs doesn't move subs nearly as well.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
You guys just don't have enough people in your lives forcing you to watch actually-bad TV to compare against.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

You guys just don't have enough people in your lives forcing you to watch actually-bad TV to compare against.

:golfclap:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

It's not like Netflix Marvel has been pure cinematic perfection before Iron Fist. DD S1 was the best put together of the shows, but all the other ones have had serious flaws. DD S2 couldn't integrate the Punisher and magic Ninja plots at all, trading Cottonmouth for Diamond Back was a huge step down in Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones went over the top into cartoonishly grim towards the end. By the time Iron Fist came out Netflix Marvel had established a pattern of flawed but still quite good shows.

I watched Dexter, I watched Under the Dome, I watched the second season of United States of Tara, I know what truly dreadful television is. Iron Fist doesn't reach that level of terrible. But that's not actually an achievement. "Not literally in the top ten worst TV shows ever made" is not a badge of honor.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Iron Fist isn't great but compared to mr. showrunner Scott Buck's last few seasons on Dexter it might as well be The Wire.

Edit: The above post just said the same thing, heyo i hope defenders isn't bad

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Iron Fist had a 7.1 rating on IMDb, which as best as I can tell puts it around the 70th percentile. I couldn't find the median-rated show for comparison, but Medium is a 6.9. Daredevil is rated 8.7.

IMDb isn't perfect obviously, but it does have thousands of shows that are worse than Iron Fist.

Charlie's Angels (2011) is a 4.4.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Iron Fist was bad. Categorically bad. I still maintain that it could be turned into something good. Saying this again now because this week I did a rewatch of the entire Marvel Phase 1 movies in release order, including the little DVD one-shots. Been a while since I saw some of them, and a couple I had never seen until now.

I have to tell you, Incredible Hulk is far, far worse than Iron Fist yet I'm still enjoying everything they've done with Hulk since that film. Hated that movie 9 years ago, still hate it now, and it has everything we complain about in IF and more. Literally 3 action scenes in the entire movie. One of them is 10 mins of running through a favela and then some soldiers get beaten up offscreen. Another is 10 mins of running in a park and then like 4 vehicles get punched. Then you have 10 minutes of two almost identical CGI monsters punching each other until one falls down. Not to mention it has a whole "a single drop of Banner's blood can create more monsters" thing they had to just quietly pretend never existed later because loving hell a walking biohazard of that magnitude is... who wrote this poo poo? Literally the only think I like about that boring, horrible, lumpen wreck of a film is the appearance of Thunderbolt Ross in Civil War, for the 8 year callback. And that's not even in this movie.

But Hulk has been grand in everything since, and Ragnarok looks like it'll be amazing.

Also the Thor movie, which I hadn't seen before. Was pretty interested in this as again the Ragnarok trailers are immense and Hemsworth being able to show off his comedy chops has been a revelation. Kenneth Branagh directing a superhero film? Cool. No, not cool, that movie is garbage. I heard the second Thor flick was bad, but man alive the first one is almost as bad as Hulk. It's not funny, at all. The Warriors Three are dickheads. The film is all dutch angles and leaden pomposity, there's just no fun to it. And the entire story is Thor goes to Earth as a human, has a fistfight and gets drunk a bit, then says "sorry" and is suddenly worthy enough to get his powers again and that was basically it. The gently caress was all this nonsense?

And yet he was great in the Avengers films (still have Dark World to look foward to) and I'll be at Ragnarok day one.

Other opinions are available, I know we have different tastes, but I wouldn't rewatch Hulk or Thor again if you paid me. Iron Man 1 and 2 were still great (2 is actually very good, just a shame the final fight is another big armour suit face off), First Avenger is still sublime and improves with age, and Avengers has that flawless third act. We're kind of at a stage now, especially after Guardians of the Galaxy changed the entire tone of the MCU where there have been no bad movies for ages now. They've all been good.

Iron Fist being bad was a shock because it broke the run of both great Netflix shows (and come on, even at their worst none of the other shows were ever actually bad) and great MCU films. They weren't always good films though, some of those early attempts were... well, they were DC movie bad. Iron Fist at least has Clare and Colleen, and Devos, all of whom are good. And the Meachums had some great moments. Enough good individual moments to put it overall ahead of Hulk/Thor's first outings. Plus the series now the Defenders and their supporting cast to draw on going forward.

tl;dr - Iron Fist sucked, but not as much as Hulk and Thor's debut, and they were turned into great and interesting heroes in their second appearance. I'm willing for Iron Fist to get a second chance.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Iron Fist had a 7.1 rating on IMDb, which as best as I can tell puts it around the 70th percentile. I couldn't find the median-rated show for comparison, but Medium is a 6.9. Daredevil is rated 8.7.

IMDb isn't perfect obviously, but it does have thousands of shows that are worse than Iron Fist.

Charlie's Angels (2011) is a 4.4.
IMDb reviews for TV shows are often contingent on people sticking around long enough to bother rating the show. This is even "worse" for shows than have run for several season whose fan base is the only one around; Supernatural is not an 8.6 show.

IMDb movie average shouldn't be compared to TV.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ufarn posted:

IMDb reviews for TV shows are often contingent on people sticking around long enough to bother rating the show. This is even "worse" for shows than have run for several season whose fan base is the only one around; Supernatural is not an 8.6 show.

IMDb movie average shouldn't be compared to TV.
I think the more important point is that there are a lot of shows far worse than Iron Fist. It's not great but if you watch a lot of TV, only have Netflix handy or just really want to stick with superhero shows, it's perfectly watchable. Just don't put it on your list of three shows to take to a desert island.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Reading up on Wikipedia or whatever about the characters makes the show a lot more tolerable.

Knowing about Zhou Cheng makes some of the scenes a lot more interesting, even though the writers did a garbage job of putting them to good use.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Thor 2 is actually decent. Its literally just a generic Marvel movie (mileage may vary), but its entertaining enough and uses its characters well. The first Thor movie is probably the worst mainstream Marvel film by a fair margin for a ton of reasons.

Iron Fist has a bafflingly terrible first two episodes. Almost unwatchable and a true miss across the board. It then picks up a bit and falls into a "tolerable enough to watch because I'm a completist" category.

On another note, I've literally no idea why anyone thought an Inhumans TV show was a good idea. They're a tremendously hard group to portray well in any format, let alone television.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man...I watched the second episode of Iron Fist last night, and boy howdy was the mental hospital stuff really problematic.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I thought the first Thor movie was better than the second one.

I actually forgot what the second one was about. It was very... unremarkable.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the first Thor movie is a fun fish out of water movie. The second is just dull poo poo about evil elves.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Thor 1 is one of my fav Marvel films. It just feels...earnest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Thor 2 is actually decent. Its literally just a generic Marvel movie (mileage may vary), but its entertaining enough and uses its characters well.

Thor 2 is garbage. It's completely hideous in terms of its cinematography, the plot is nonsensical (something something dark elves eating the universe something something?), everyone outside of maybe Hiddleston and Russo is phoning it in, and you cast a guy like Christopher Eccleston as the heavy ... then put him under 20 pounds of makeup and have 90 percent of his dialogue be absolute gibberish. Star Trek Beyond did the same thing with Idris Elba and that was bullshit, too.

It's not like the Marvel Studios movies have a high bar for quality (honestly, the only ones I genuinely like are Iron Man / IM3, The Incredible Hulk, the first two-thirds of The First Avenger, the first act of Thor and, I don't know, bits and pieces of the first Guardians), but holy poo poo Thor 2 is just pure, passionless mediocrity.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Narcissus1916 posted:

On another note, I've literally no idea why anyone thought an Inhumans TV show was a good idea. They're a tremendously hard group to portray well in any format, let alone television.
Because the creepy owner of Marvel comics who has not been professionally photographed since the 80s and came to the Iron Man screening in disguise is an enormous stubborn petty rear end in a top hat

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

jivjov posted:

Yeah, Thor 1 is one of my fav Marvel films. It just feels...earnest.

Thor 1 is goofy fun and the hero gets tased which always makes me giggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

achillesforever6 posted:

Because the creepy owner of Marvel comics who has not been professionally photographed since the 80s and came to the Iron Man screening in disguise is an enormous stubborn petty rear end in a top hat

To translate this into non-comic-speak: Ike Perlmutter--the dude who bought Marvel out of bankruptcy--was effectively removed from running Marvel Studios movies a few years ago because Kevin Feige hated him and said he'd walk; Disney decided the hojillions of dollars were worth more. Jeph Loeb is now in charge of all Marvel television. but that's the one area where Perlmutter has a bit of say. He's also still incredibly sore about Fox owning the rights to the X-Men (and them making fucktons of money on First Class and Days of Future Past, which is why he refuses to license X-Men movie toys).

Basically, Inhumans started as a movie -- Perlmutter wanted to say, "gently caress you, Jobu, I do it myself."