Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Angry Lobster posted:

Can you share a link, please?

http://www.babylonpodcast.com/

I've only listened as far as episode 7, and they've already interviewed Furst, Tallman, and Boxleitner. :stare: Even an interview with an assistant prop guy was really interesting. Also Bruce's big jolly laugh is exactly the same as on the show. :shobon:

Most memorable highlights that I've learned so far: there really was a product placement deal with Zima, and Stephen Furst had a really cute story about his audition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's some B5 podcast where they talk about episodes and it's the worst thing ever, don't bother if you come across it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Grand Fromage posted:

There's some B5 podcast where they talk about episodes and it's the worst thing ever, don't bother if you come across it.

There's probably a lot of those; do you know which one this is?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't been minding The Lurker's Guide to B5, I hope you're not talking about that one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't remember the name of it. There were three or four main people, one woman and a couple dudes. The episodes are like two hours long and they just s l o o o w l y recap the episode, repeating things over and over. It's a slog and not remotely interesting. It's not the one Bubbacub linked.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The Audio Guide to Babylon 5? It's two woman and a man, with occasional guest spots by a another guy.
They are all a little bit older, as in, they were college age when the show first aired, some of them were actually involved in the original Lurke's Guide and they all went to film school, so they actually talk a lot about the directors of the series, which is pretty unusual for a podcast about any nerd product.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 26, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It might be Jumpgate. I don't know. I had no idea there were multiple ones.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

This might be a good (or terrible) time to mention that a friend and I started a B5 podcast recently. We go episode by episode but don't do recaps. Our overall thesis is "why do we live this sometimes very lovely show so much?" Only the first four are out so far - our ep on Infection will come out on Friday. Have a listen if that's your thing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-name-of-the-pod/id1244239639?mt=2

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The interviews with Bruce and Wayne Alexander on The Babylon Podcast are amazing. It's like a little microcosm of the show - there are poignant moments interspersed with gales of laughter. It's striking how much their real personalities seem identical to their in-show characters.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

e X posted:

The Audio Guide to Babylon 5? It's two woman and a man, with occasional guest spots by a another guy.
They are all a little bit older, as in, they were college age when the show first aired, some of them were actually involved in the original Lurke's Guide and they all went to film school, so they actually talk a lot about the directors of the series, which is pretty unusual for a podcast about any nerd product.

This is the one I meant, it's useful, because it's split up into non-spoiler and spoiler sections. Though I know I'll enjoy it more once I can listen to the full discussion.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
How necessary would you guys say The Gathering is if I'm trying to introduce someone to the series? I remember the first episode as doing a decent job of introducing everyone but I haven't seen The Gathering in years and years myself so can't recall if there's something big I'm forgetting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

skasion posted:

How necessary would you guys say The Gathering is if I'm trying to introduce someone to the series? I remember the first episode as doing a decent job of introducing everyone but I haven't seen The Gathering in years and years myself so can't recall if there's something big I'm forgetting.

Not at all. It is slow as hell, and the only relevant plot point carried forward is Lyta saw into Kosh's mind.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

skasion posted:

The Gathering doesn't even introduce everyone - only 5 humanoid characters stick on from it to the show proper (Sinclair, Garibaldi, Delenn, G'Kar, Londo) and Delenn is significantly different.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not at all. It is slow as hell, and the only relevant plot point carried forward is Lyta saw into Kosh's mind.

"Entil'zha Valen" is rather important, too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

skasion posted:

I'd watch it after they get through 1/3 of season 1 to see if they like the show and want to see the pre-cursor. It is extremely rough and early 90s in everything they did, from the weird rear end foam padding body armor to the over-exaggerated alien make-up.

I thought In the Beginning was the pilot because that's what TNT showed when they started their B5 run and that seemed like a pretty good start for me to the show.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
There was also the part where they were walking through the part of the station where all the methane breathers lived, and I remember it kind of looking like a zoo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pentyne posted:

I thought In the Beginning was the pilot because that's what TNT showed when they started their B5 run and that seemed like a pretty good start for me to the show.

For ages, some friends of mine were militant that you shouldn't watch In the Beginning as an intro because of the Valen spoiler, but, really, it's the best possible introduction one can get to the show: You get a heavy dose of Boxleitner for better or for worse, you've got one of Londo's best moments (the speech about the humans), G'Kar and Franklin are depicted pretty well despite their limited screentime, and Reiner Schöne is one of my favorite character actors. There's some hamfisted stuff in there--thinking specifically of Ivanova--but in general it works very well to give you a taste of the series.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
" 'Wooo-Hooo'?"

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Timby posted:

For ages, some friends of mine were militant that you shouldn't watch In the Beginning as an intro because of the Valen spoiler, but, really, it's the best possible introduction one can get to the show: You get a heavy dose of Boxleitner for better or for worse, you've got one of Londo's best moments (the speech about the humans), G'Kar and Franklin are depicted pretty well despite their limited screentime, and Reiner Schöne is one of my favorite character actors. There's some hamfisted stuff in there--thinking specifically of Ivanova--but in general it works very well to give you a taste of the series.

My first interaction with B5 was In The Beginning.

I had no idea what was going on, and it was so weird at the time, these dudes with bone-heads hanging out with some dudes who wear weird but cool-looking plastic/ceramic suits. My Dad kept making College Football analogies while watching it.

About a year later I learned Babylon 5 was actually a thing, and I was like 'ohhh, that wasn't a b-movie randomly made'.

Honestly ITB was interesting enough to make me want to watch the series, so it worked out in the end.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I think most of the arguments against In The Beginning are spoiler related and honestly I don't think that's a huge concern, at least with the spoilers ITB hands out. This is very much a show that will straight-up tell you what is going to happen and the interest is far more in how one arrives there. It doesn't give you the tools to fully appreciate the significance of the events, so I don't personally think that it's a problem to watch it first.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pentyne posted:

I'd watch it after they get through 1/3 of season 1 to see if they like the show and want to see the pre-cursor.

This is actually how it first aired in the UK. I'm one of the few people who actually watched The Gathering before the series, as it was released on home video before getting to TV. I'd heard about the show from an article in Amiga Format talking about Lightwave and was interested to see how the effects looked.

Watching The Gathering first didn't cause me any problems. It has the usual recasting and redesign, and a few things that were dropped because they didn't work (the rings), but it's pretty solid and they made the changes work within the show. Lyta of course turns up later to explain what happened to her, and it's explained that Dr Kyle was recalled to Earth and promoted and more than implied that he was killed in the sabotage of Earthforce One. Laurel Takashima is the only character disappears into thin air because her original purpose was to be the Psi Corps sleeper, but officers get reassigned all the time. The biggest throw is the change to Delenn's appearance. The Minbari were originally intended to be hermaphrodite, but this was hard to get across and they wisely decided to drop it in favour of simplifying the make-up job.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I don't think I actually watched The Gathering until I rewatched the show a few years ago.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The biggest plot point that comes out of The Gathering that you don't see in the regular show (except in maybe one flashback?) is There is a hole in your mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

The biggest plot point that comes out of The Gathering that you don't see in the regular show (except in maybe one flashback?) is There is a hole in your mind.

What? It very much does! It's the missing 24 hours of Sinclair's memory when the Battle of the Line ended and the Minbari surrendered for no apparent reason. Because they brought him onboard their flagship to see a Human and collectively went "OH SWEET gently caress THEY HAVE MINBARI SOULS! STOP EVERYTHING! STOP loving KILLING THEM ALL RIGHT NOW!"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
No, I meant that specific line/scene, not the whole plot line.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Its value as an introduction and setup to the series is offset by how bad it is. If your viewer is thinking "I'm going to watch a bunch of episodes of this and see if I get into it," it might be worth starting there. If they're more like "I just want to watch one episode and see if this is for me" it would probably be a bad choice.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

No, I meant that specific line/scene, not the whole plot line.

Yeah, I remember seeing that in flashback and thinking "I don't remember that". Months later, Channel 4 aired The Gathering and I finally understood it. Although to be honest, it wasn't that confusing anyway, since the flashback was reinforcing what Sinclair was remembering at that point anyway, and I never thought about it again until I saw The Gathering.

But I didn't feel any wiser for watching it. And, in fact, it sort of broke the Vorlons a little bit for me. Suddenly big mysterious and powerful Kosh can be poisoned like a regular person.

So yeah, I'd say you could happily never ever watch it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dirty posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing that in flashback and thinking "I don't remember that". Months later, Channel 4 aired The Gathering and I finally understood it. Although to be honest, it wasn't that confusing anyway, since the flashback was reinforcing what Sinclair was remembering at that point anyway, and I never thought about it again until I saw The Gathering.

But I didn't feel any wiser for watching it. And, in fact, it sort of broke the Vorlons a little bit for me. Suddenly big mysterious and powerful Kosh can be poisoned like a regular person.

So yeah, I'd say you could happily never ever watch it.

It's great reading all of JMS's Usement posts about the poisoning thing. They all make enough fridge-logic sense but also betray a pretty strong reluctance to just straight admit when an idea might not have been that great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jedit posted:

explained that Dr Kyle was recalled to Earth and promoted and more than implied that he was killed in the sabotage of Earthforce One.

Nope he is mentioned as the guy who got Frankin his new job at the end of the series.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dirty posted:

In Lyta's contact with Kosh she sees the poison tab being applied to her hand, but Kosh's hand would of course not be exposed under any circumstances. There's been speculation that it was actually Kosh's encounter suit that was poisoned, not Kosh himself; he was affected because he's bonded to the organic technology in the same way as he's bonded to his ship.

And of course the poison comes from a Minbari. If anyone other than the Shadows knew how to poison a Vorlon it would be them.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

And there goes Byron. My wife and daughters really picked up on how creepy and manipulative he is despite saying a lot of the right things. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I watched it with commentaries, but I seem to recall JMS using his time spent in a cult to inform Byron's character and the rogue telepath colony.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

And there goes Byron. My wife and daughters really picked up on how creepy and manipulative he is despite saying a lot of the right things. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I watched it with commentaries, but I seem to recall JMS using his time spent in a cult to inform Byron's character and the rogue telepath colony.

Yup. I think the song was even one from the cult directly, maybe.

Also, those first four words made me think the actor had died. That's discussing the B5 cast for you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Also, those first four words made me think the actor had died. That's discussing the B5 cast for you.

:yossame:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Whoops, I hadn't considered that, although I should have.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pretty sure every sudden 2 digit post count this thread has seen was a result of an actor death.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Pretty sure every sudden 2 digit post count this thread has seen was a result of an actor death.

There was also that secret symbol easter egg; that was good for a laugh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There was also that secret symbol easter egg; that was good for a laugh.

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons they don't want to remaster for HD is because people would be able to read all the jokes on the arrival boards. One S1 episode has a board indicating the imminent arrival of the Rolling Stones farewell tour.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Ehh, I'd doubt that. Star Trek TNG had the same thing when it was remastered in HD and it wasn't an issue.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Ehh, I'd doubt that. Star Trek TNG had the same thing when it was remastered in HD and it wasn't an issue.

They took a lot of them out digitally in the remaster.

Here's a family tree from "The Neutral Zone" which uses the TNG actors' names, and Maryann and Ginger from Gilligan's Island.

Here's the HD remaster:

This one is still in, though (I think):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

shadok posted:

They took a lot of them out digitally in the remaster.

Here's a family tree from "The Neutral Zone" which uses the TNG actors' names, and Maryann and Ginger from Gilligan's Island.

Here's the HD remaster:

And all the time and money spent on taking care of little things like that is precisely while we'll never see a full-HD remaster of an effects-heavy show again.