Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Which episode got redubbed?

The third episode, with Plasmus. It was basically an official abridged series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
TTG is better

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

Now the redub episode they did :discourse:

It was copying the success of the dream episode where Robin was Kissing Starfire from the TT movie. It probably wouldn't work as a regular thing, but who knows, maybe they could just do an official TTA by the actual cast on Youtube and make some easy money?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It might be the nostalgia talking but I liked the original TT back when I was a teenager myself. It balanced drama and humor nicely, and I was genuinely invested in its multiple-episode-spanning sagas.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 8, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You're not wrong, it was a good show. I think my only real complaint would be that sometimes the humor episodes... just weren't very funny. But there were far more good episodes than bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
somehow I managed to miss the boat on original TT entirely when I was a kid (I think I saw maybe half an episode once?) and ended up actually seeing Go before the original show

and uh, I'm not gonna lie, I kinda like Go better? it's a lesser DCAU show versus Always Sunny for kids, and the latter is way more my poo poo than the former

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Raven and Beastboy most because they had really good chemistry when they got past their differences. Generally, between BB and Cyborg refusing to leave her to fight her mental demons in Nevermore, and the Body-swap with Starfire that ended with her joining Raven in an evenings meditation, she had the most interesting interactions with the rest of the cast. I also really liked her trying and failing to hide her emotions and losing control of her magic at times of extreme stress, like when Robin disappears during one arc, and she tries to act distant and stoic, but a small aura crackles around her and cracks the monitors she's hanging out by, or when fighting Dr Light. That was cool, when she went full demon mode after being hit by a flash grenade with a terrible pun (What's the matter? Afraid of the LIGHT?!) and responds by pulling him into a nightmare dimension below her cloak with a snarl of "What's the matter? Afraid of the dark...?".

Her episodes and Starfire's trip into the future, where because she went missing from the timeline for years they fell apart, were really good.

Edit: Spoilered for Lord of Booty.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 8, 2017

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ BB's mom dropping his real name out of nowhere was pretty fun if I recall correctly.

BB's mom: "I'm very proud of you Garfield."

Raven: "...Garfield!?"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

somehow I managed to miss the boat on original TT entirely when I was a kid (I think I saw maybe half an episode once?) and ended up actually seeing Go before the original show

and uh, I'm not gonna lie, I kinda like Go better? it's a lesser DCAU show versus Always Sunny for kids, and the latter is way more my poo poo than the former

TT Classic was one of the first shows to ape anime and the results... haven't aged particularly well. The first season in particular is a pretty rough sit in this regard. Once the story gets going though the show tones the anime nonsense down and things improve considerably.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 8, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To the shows credit at least, I thought Starfire's design and characterization was much better there then in the actual comics she was based on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

To the shows credit at least, I thought Starfire's design and characterization was much better there then in the actual comics she was based on.

It was definitely a lot more than she had ever had previously. There've been attempts to rehabilitate her further with mixed degrees of success. She had her own ongoing for a bit by Gail Simone, but I thought it was pretty terrible. She was also part of a team with Jason Todd and Roy Harper and got some character expansion out of that regarding her time before coming to Earth.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^Beaten! :argh:

For those not familiar, this is Starfire in the comics:

Both TTG and TTC are both vastly superior in how they handle her character.

EDIT: What the gently caress is happening to that woman's spine in panel 3!?

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 8, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

That's the case for almost every character the show included, I mean have you seen Jinx's original version?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It might be the nostalgia talking but I liked the original TT back when I was a teenager myself. It balanced drama and humor nicely, and I was genuinely invested in its multiple-episode-spanning sagas.

It was good when it wasn't leaning way too hard into the wannabe anime poo poo that was embarrassingly all the rage at the time.

The "serious" episodes were also laughably bad, but I might have had a better opinion of them if I was a teenager at the time rather than being in my twenties.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 8, 2017

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There was a Teen Titans comic released alongside the show that used its style (also called Teen Titans Go!), but I heard it sold less than what Willis is complaining about there. That's probably more to do with how hard it is to market comics than their relative merits.

The older Teen Titans comics had the whole issue of edginess too. The original Judas Contract storyline in the 80s, which was loosely adapted into season 2's storyline with Terra, had her working with Deathstroke/Slade all along and also being romantically involved despite being 15 :barf:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

That's the case for almost every character the show included, I mean have you seen Jinx's original version?

Guess which of the two female characters is Jinx

Answer: The bald one on the left

Also, Gizmo is supposed to be a midget (4'2") but that facial hair does him no favors.

In regards to this, her backstory was rewritten a bit such that after Blackfire took betrayed their home planet, Starfire was sold into slavery and later broke out with a bunch of other prisoners. It's not really an improvement and is more like change for change's sake.

As of right now, she's currently with a new Teen Titans team consisting of her, Beast Boy, Raven, Aqualad (the black one who is now also gay) and led by Robin (Damian). She's basically the team mom.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Guess which of the two female characters is Jinx

Answer: The bald one on the left

Also, Gizmo is supposed to be a midget (4'2") but that facial hair does him no favors.

In regards to this, her backstory was rewritten a bit such that after Blackfire took betrayed their home planet, Starfire was sold into slavery and later broke out with a bunch of other prisoners. It's not really an improvement and is more like change for change's sake.

As of right now, she's currently with a new Teen Titans team consisting of her, Beast Boy, Raven, Aqualad (the black one who is now also gay) and led by Robin (Damian). She's basically the team mom.

The original Gizmo died at some point in the comics so they brought in his son who is closer to the cartoon one in appearance and personality

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

readingatwork posted:

TT Classic was one of the first shows to ape anime and the results... haven't aged particularly well. The first season in particular is a pretty rough sit in this regard. Once the story gets going though the show tones the anime nonsense down and things improve considerably.

The first season also has Robin hitting way above his power level.

LOL at the idea of a teenage boy with no super powers being able to topple a giant golem with one kick. Bats can't do that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Teen Titans may not have been the best DCAU show but it probably had the most crossover appeal of anything to come out of that franchise, especially since it had the Fortune of coming out right after the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie made superheroes cool again. I was in high school when TT dropped and everyone was watching it, it was especially popular with girls (my little sister went as Raven for Halloween one year :3:) and it was a real trip going from having nobody to talk about Justice League with to everyone buzzing about that week's TT during lunch.

And the fauxnime stuff is pretty bad but it worked at getting kids who were really into the anime and manga boom of the time to pay attention to it so I consider it a necessary evil.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

The first season also has Robin hitting way above his power level.

LOL at the idea of a teenage boy with no super powers being able to topple a giant golem with one kick. Bats can't do that.

I'd rather have that over an endless parade of jokes built off of "he has no super powers so he's extremely insecure and sad".

At that point you might as well pick the rest of the low hanging fruit and make jokes about how lame Aquaman is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
(JL/JLU)Aquaman is cool and a good dad. He cut his own hand off to save his infant son from sinking into a lava fissure.

Also he no selled the Wonder Twins ripoff and followed up with the perfect one liner.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah

Not really my point, though.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I am still waiting for amazon to ship me my set of the complete original Teen Titans that I order on Prime Day.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

PhazonLink posted:

(JL/JLU)Aquaman is cool and a good dad. He cut his own hand off to save his infant son from sinking into a lava fissure.

Also he no selled the Wonder Twins ripoff and followed up with the perfect one liner.

Still not as OUTRAGEOUS as BatB Aquaman, who I wish got his own series.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
After Brave and the Bold I will not accept any remake of the 90s Aquaman being used in movies or animation or anything. Aquaman should be goofy and happy and fun and also serious about ocean issues and doing the right thing. People are never going to take Aquaman seriously so write exactly with that. Don't try to make people think he's Namor, he'll never be that. But being someone that owns his own hokeyness and thrives despite is actually good. Especially now that most Superheroes are loving disasters that maybe save a few people while destroying a city for the billionth time this week.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drrockso20 posted:

The original Gizmo died at some point in the comics so they brought in his son who is closer to the cartoon one in appearance and personality

Honestly they should just replace Comic Jinx with the TT show version. She was more interesting and had a cooler power set that actually made sense with her name.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They really shouldn't have turned her white, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
But she's pale purple though.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
make her a darker purple

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

But she's pale purple though.

You know what I mean.

The character was originally Indian. There was no reason they couldn't have retained that still gone with the bad luck/misfortune powers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly they should just replace Comic Jinx with the TT show version. She was more interesting and had a cooler power set that actually made sense with her name.

Agreed

TFRazorsaw posted:

They really shouldn't have turned her white, though.

I've always assumed she's still Indian, just that her meta-gene makes her look weird

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crabtree posted:

After Brave and the Bold I will not accept any remake of the 90s Aquaman being used in movies or animation or anything. Aquaman should be goofy and happy and fun and also serious about ocean issues and doing the right thing. People are never going to take Aquaman seriously so write exactly with that. Don't try to make people think he's Namor, he'll never be that. But being someone that owns his own hokeyness and thrives despite is actually good. Especially now that most Superheroes are loving disasters that maybe save a few people while destroying a city for the billionth time this week.

Luckily, that seems to be exactly what they're going for with Mamoa. Seems to be more or less the Justice League movie's equivalent to Thor.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I would buy 30 tickets if Momoa sung The Rousing Song of Heroism.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Am I the only one who basically subconsciously inserted The Batman as the prequel to Teen Titans? They had very similar art styles, after all. When Batman made a cameo in the tie-in comic, he did resemble that version from what we saw of him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Same here, it sort of made sense, though probably got weird in later seasons when The Batman introduced its own Batgirl and Robin.

Kinda weird that til recently cartoons were so skittish about any kind of shared universe, making near-nonsensical rulings to avoid 'confusion', and now it turned out audiences love shared universes. Though hell, even Star Trek worked just fine with three shows having common points and crossovers.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'd rather have that over an endless parade of jokes built off of "he has no super powers so he's extremely insecure and sad".

At that point you might as well pick the rest of the low hanging fruit and make jokes about how lame Aquaman is.

Robin being insecure having no powers makes more sense than having him hit way above his level because you can't think of any way to make him useful in fights.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Inescapable Duck posted:

Same here, it sort of made sense, though probably got weird in later seasons when The Batman introduced its own Batgirl and Robin.

Kinda weird that til recently cartoons were so skittish about any kind of shared universe, making near-nonsensical rulings to avoid 'confusion', and now it turned out audiences love shared universes. Though hell, even Star Trek worked just fine with three shows having common points and crossovers.
I figured that in that case we were getting Robin's origin in TB, which took place a few years earlier, and that a few years after that, Dick would go his own way and head over to jump city. Hopefully not for the same reasons as the DCAU Robin did.

It's especially weird about cartoons being reluctant to have a shared universe, since the DCAU was A Thing, and everyone loved that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gaunab posted:

Robin being insecure having no powers makes more sense than having him hit way above his level because you can't think of any way to make him useful in fights.

Oddly enough Teen Titans kinda emphasised both, he was some weird mix of hot-blooded aggro shonen hero and brooding Batman wannabe at the same time. There's a reason Teen Titans Go has so much fun at his expense.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Crabtree posted:

They should not try to make people think he's Namor simply because Namor is an rear end in a top hat and a lovely character in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Going through the original TT on CN, I will never understand why the haters think this thing is some kind of sacred cow that absolutely cannot be made fun of.