Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Neon Belly your name is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I successfully pulled off the parachute escape. It's gimmicky and specific but it's definitely slightly useful and funny in rolling (poo poo in a real life situation and probably bad in a tournament).

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 4, 2017

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Seltzer posted:

I successfully pulled off the parachute escape. It's gimmicky and specific but it's definitely slightly useful and funny in rolling (poo poo in a real life situation and probably bad in a tournament).

Is this the Rener Gracie thing? I don't even understand how it works as an escape, just seems like a stalling move if someone is on your back. Looks funny and cheeky anyway.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Pool posted:

Is this the Rener Gracie thing? I don't even understand how it works as an escape, just seems like a stalling move if someone is on your back. Looks funny and cheeky anyway.

Yea, I dont really look at gracie videos but one of them that popped up on youtube looked interesting. He pulls off the move this video (at 30s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_zzFhHF5wU
Basically you can stall it or if they move a lot, peel the feet. It's funny and worst case scenario you have another option to get out of a back take.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 5, 2017

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

omg chael crash posted:

Neon Belly your name is cool

Thanks man you're a cool guy too

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Why are omoplatas so rare in MMA? Always wondered.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Why are omoplatas so rare in MMA? Always wondered.

Sweat

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Seems rare in nogi, too. Gi friction is a heck of a thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Neon Belly posted:

Seems rare in nogi, too. Gi friction is a heck of a thing.

And even though I'm sure that someone really good at omaplatas might make it a different story, I find that they're pretty easy to ride out and escape even in gi. There's something about the omaplata's range of motion that doesn't quite go far enough to hurt (me) except if it's perfect in every way.

I actually give them up intentionally quite a bit in order to get a pass. I think I've tapped to one ever. Because of this, when I get one on someone, I go for the neck.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm too lazy to finish omoplatas so I either sit up and wrist lock the guy or lean back and toe hold the guy.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Omoplatas are relatively easy to enter and good for forcing the sweep but are challenging to finish. There are many escapes from omoplata including rolling and posturing. A lot of times you need to be able to force the shoulder to touch the mat and control the lower body position to ensure a finish.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-OwKHf7Up8

Nino Schembri still as the best no gi Omoplata finish.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Yuns posted:

Omoplatas are relatively easy to enter and good for forcing the sweep but are challenging to finish. There are many escapes from omoplata including rolling and posturing. A lot of times you need to be able to force the shoulder to touch the mat and control the lower body position to ensure a finish.

that's where I've been lately. Finishing omoplatas is hard (for me) but ending up in the top hub sitting on their shoulder is pretty easy. Lots of transition options from there (even back to a more-secure omoplata) and definitely an improvement from bottom guard position.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Been hitting this a bit lately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a82B3Rgh4lI&t=4s

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

:same:

It feels a lot more secure to me than a regular triangle.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

Really old but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLe9ObQm1g&t=163s

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 9, 2017

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
So this happened last week:

Been BJJ’ing for 18 months, 3-4 times a week and sometimes an extra open mat if I can. I competed twice, 2nd place in a big tournament and 3rd in small poorly run one (where I should have got 2nd but they messed up the brackets and I had a extra match and lost)

It’s a cliche but I don’t feel ready, I still suck at everything. But it’s still fun and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. My wife also got her blue, she is doing amazing compared to me but she also goes to muay thai three times a week as well.

Also, here is the worst article ever written about BJJ, thanks internet / android feed! You have shown interest in bjj, would you like stories about how to rape? http://www.returnofkings.com/124273/6-reasons-why-a-man-learning-game-should-also-do-brazilian-jiu-jitsu

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

spandexcajun posted:

Congrats!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

spandexcajun posted:

Been BJJ’ing for 18 months, 3-4 times a week and sometimes an extra open mat if I can. I competed twice, 2nd place in a big tournament and 3rd in small poorly run one (where I should have got 2nd but they messed up the brackets and I had a extra match and lost)

It’s a cliche but I don’t feel ready, I still suck at everything. But it’s still fun and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. My wife also got her blue, she is doing amazing compared to me but she also goes to muay thai three times a week as well.

Also, here is the worst article ever written about BJJ, thanks internet / android feed! You have shown interest in bjj, would you like stories about how to rape? http://www.returnofkings.com/124273/6-reasons-why-a-man-learning-game-should-also-do-brazilian-jiu-jitsu

congratulations. fascinating article. very lloyd irvin.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Inverted DLR + Kiss Of The Dragon + Armbar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiB6_E1msi0

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Really enjoy the layout of that video

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spandexcajun posted:

Congrats! Recognizing the limits of our knowledge and coming to see the flaws in our own games is a big part of improvement, so don't think that realizing that you still suck and getting better are mutually exclusive conditions.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Learned how to do an arm bar.

spandexcajun posted:

Grats mate.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Always look forward to when the next IBJJF open comes to town. Can't beat $10 shirts.

Oh and the jiu-jitsu is pretty cool too

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've been training 3 times a week now for a couple months (every second month I'm gone away for work so this is over four months span) and I find after a longer class I have some serious discomfort in my shoulders. I have been stretching them as best I can but it seems more in the ligaments than the muscles themselves if that makes sense.

Any tips for a newbie on how to keep a bit limber between rolls? Someone suggested a foam roller which I don't have yet but I'm hoping this is something that maybe I'll "grow out of" as I grapple more and get in better shape. Other than hobbling around like a sixty year old constantly the bjj has been great.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

flashman posted:

I've been training 3 times a week now for a couple months (every second month I'm gone away for work so this is over four months span) and I find after a longer class I have some serious discomfort in my shoulders. I have been stretching them as best I can but it seems more in the ligaments than the muscles themselves if that makes sense.

Where is the discomfort? I'm wagering it's a shoulder cuff thing? That probably has less to do with bjj and more with what positions you're getting put into while sparring.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Where is the discomfort? I'm wagering it's a shoulder cuff thing? That probably has less to do with bjj and more with what positions you're getting put into while sparring.

It's the shoulder cuff yeah it's probably from being balled up twenty times a night (I'm trash). Is there flexibility routines I can do to try and keep these limber? I'm pretty quick to tap so it isn't like I'm trying to Hercules out of any kimuras or anything like that.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I've been doing it for about a month, two classes a week. Havent submitted anyone yet. My strategy is to look at the clock and try not to be submitted during that timeframe. Hope I'm doing this correctly...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

flashman posted:

It's the shoulder cuff yeah it's probably from being balled up twenty times a night (I'm trash). Is there flexibility routines I can do to try and keep these limber? I'm pretty quick to tap so it isn't like I'm trying to Hercules out of any kimuras or anything like that.

Hmm well I've had slight rotator cuff injuries from bjj and it's often from stuff like head and arm chokes. For whatever reason I can sit in them for super long periods of time and not get tapped but it messes with my shoulder afterwards. So during drilling for instance I would let people sit there for a long time trying to get it right but now I've been a bit more smart about it. Address what things are bothering your shoulder and just lay off that for awhile or tap real early. There are simple exercises you can do for your shoulders with cheap exercise bands. I'm no physiotherapist though so look a bit into it or wait for someone better versed to answer anything specific. My main point is you shouldn't be injuring your shoulder from just drilling it's probably specific compromising positions.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

vaginal facsimile posted:

I've been doing it for about a month, two classes a week. Havent submitted anyone yet. My strategy is to look at the clock and try not to be submitted during that timeframe. Hope I'm doing this correctly...

Also why do people keep asking if I'm a wrestler or have wrestled before after we roll? I have autism

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also why do people keep asking if I'm a wrestler or have wrestled before after we roll? I have autism

A lot of new people who come in have a previous grappling backgrounds, if a person knows that someone has a background in wrestling or Judo it means that person will probably approach sparring differently with you . They'll be less worried about you spazzing on certain things and also less laissez faire on the feet.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 19, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Do you get caught in guillotines constantly?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Do you have good balance from some other activity? If you're hard to sweep or have exceptionally good balance, people think that you've wrestled in the past.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Do you get caught in guillotines constantly?

Arm triangles tbh.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Usually a combo of
* going hard af
* having better positioning than your average guy off the street

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Depending on your school, this may be a multi-year effort.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm going on vacation for a week. Are there any suggestions to keep from falling off too hard? Plan now is to keep up cardio, maybe do some yoga.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Best plan is to not worry about taking a week off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's a pursuit measured in decades, a week doesn't matter.