Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I tried hard to like Gargoyles because superficially it's right up my alley, but aside from the novelty of seeing another kid's cartoon try to be brooding and atmospheric like Batman: TAS (which I don't think it achieved) and seeing a ton of TNG actors playing different types of roles, it was a big "oh that's it?"

Speaking of cartoons in that vein, here's Wild C.A.T.S:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUA6FLxtLI
I only saw this intro once at 5 am while I had a genuine fever, so I thought I had imagined it for over a decade.

and of course Fox Kids!'s "The Avengers" aka "The Avengers but without the big names because whyyyyyyyyy":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLD1yq7eVoY

If you had told me in the late 90s that these characters would form the ribcage of one of the biggest media franchises in history while DC struggled to get Justice League off the ground, I'd have had you sectioned for case-study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I loved watching this thread devolve from old TV shows having materials that don't mesh well with today's morals and philosophy to slap fights about people interpreting TV shows wrong :allears:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Calaveron posted:

I loved watching this thread devolve from old TV shows having materials that don't mesh well with today's morals and philosophy to slap fights about people interpreting TV shows wrong :allears:

yeah, this thread didn't age very well

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was always one of the show's worst episodes, arguably the worst.

Really? It had a few cringeworthy jokes and I'm not a huge Fred Arneson fan but I thought the episode itself was pretty funny compared to a lot of the other early run ones. It's almost worth it for April and Donna taking advantage of the horny officials the whole time alone.

...The issue is how Venezuela is presented as this semi-utopia with tons of government money (at the expense of freedom) and not, y'know, a country in a death spiral towards a civil war due to years of hyperinflation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Really? It had a few cringeworthy jokes and I'm not a huge Fred Arneson fan but I thought the episode itself was pretty funny compared to a lot of the other early run ones. It's almost worth it for April and Donna taking advantage of the horny officials the whole time alone.

...The issue is how Venezuela is presented as this semi-utopia with tons of government money (at the expense of freedom) and not, y'know, a country in a death spiral towards a civil war due to years of hyperinflation.
I don't enjoy Michael Schur's recurring "rich visitors come to poor area and humiliate protagonists" plot much. It wasn't great in Brooklyn 99, it's in two of the weaker P&R eps (Sister City and Eagleton in S3), and I assume it was in The Office but I never liked the Office.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

P&R's Eagleton stuff made me realize the showrunners really took "Lemon of Troy" to heart.

Also I think the whole "rich shames poor" was part of the background metanarrative of the first 5 or so seasons of The Office. Jim and Pam fail and bail on moving up in the world and we see it happen in slow, painfully real detail where it doesn't really sink in how mediocre they are until it's pointed out by other people.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dr Christmas posted:

The Rick and Morty episode "Raising Gazorpazorp" had half of the plot be about how a civilization of women would HAVE FEELINGS and BE SHOPPING. Real fresh take there.

I was wondering about that episode, the forums seem to love Rick & Morty so I watched a few episodes including "Raising Gazprpazorp" and was baffled about why the show was considered genius. As someone else pointed out, this was below average Futurama laziness. Good to know that was an outlier, I'll need to go back and watch a few more.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

mind the walrus posted:

Daria is still good but early episodes have this weird half-beat thing like they're in a sitcom without a laugh track, especially after Daria says anything. You also really have to watch Daria with all the specific late-90s MTV music choices that got taken out for rerelease--much like The Wonder Years and Northern Exposure--because it really contextualizes things.

I want to know what someone who didn't grow up with late-90s Teen Shows thinks of Clone High. There's a lot of surrealist humor that I think still works, but I remember a big reason the show was popular with me and my friends was that it took brilliant little potshots at Dawson's Creek/Felicity/Party of Five tropes--the kind you'd see later in Lord and Miller's work like 21 Jump Street, The LEGO Movie, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
One good thing about Clone High is they had their own music that was a spot on parody of the music from Dawson's Creek/Party of Five, but since they wrote it they got to keep it, as opposed to Daria.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I was wondering about that episode, the forums seem to love Rick & Morty so I watched a few episodes including "Raising Gazprpazorp" and was baffled about why the show was considered genius. As someone else pointed out, this was below average Futurama laziness. Good to know that was an outlier, I'll need to go back and watch a few more.

Let me be another voice adding to the "that episode sucked" chorus, but it's kinda a shame because I think the beginning where Morty is spending all of his time loving that robot and his parents are afraid to comment on it is really, really funny.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm pretty sure the Gazorpazorp episode sets out to be a self-aware parody of those sorts of "planet of women/planet of men" sci-fi tropes, I just don't think it's clever enough to pull it off. It just ends up being the same thing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I honestly can't say I found R&M to be that great, frankly. It seems... very formulaic.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Samovar posted:

I honestly can't say I found R&M to be that great, frankly. It seems... very formulaic.

It's kinda hit or miss, with the caveat that the hits usually nail it outta the park and the misses stink like rancid burrito farts.

The dimensional-TV episodes in particular are mostly trash - I get that those are pretty much improv, but a lot of it is just absurd for the sake of it without any humor attached.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

It is, but that's sort of the point. It tries to put twists on classic SF plots.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Futurama was a lot more novel before the internet showed that making math jokes and Star Trek references isn't particularly hard or original.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I can't loving stand those stupid "HEY YOU KNOW THIS CARTOON? LEMMEE TELL YOU HOW IT'S REALLY ABOUT DEAD KIDS/KID IN A COMA/DEMONS/HELL." It's the laziest poo poo in the world.

And then the kids who loved those theories grew up to make Adventure Time and for like a decade after every other cartoon had to have some needlessly complex tragic backstory dragging down their fun adventure shows.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure the Gazorpazorp episode sets out to be a self-aware parody of those sorts of "planet of women/planet of men" sci-fi tropes, I just don't think it's clever enough to pull it off. It just ends up being the same thing.

Listening to Harmontown ruined that episode for me because Dan Harmon talks at length about having a mannequin fetish and using his Heat Vision and Jack money to buy a mannequin that he hosed to pieces, which puts a really creepy tilt on him having a scene of a pubescent boy loving a space mannequin in his show. Same with the gag in Community where Senor Chang's girlfriend is a mannequin leg.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Holy poo poo. Here's one.

loving MTV's "The Real World".

In almost every way it was the precursor to the current model of "reality TV", so right there I can't forgive it. The first few seasons were interesting in a guilty pleasure kind of way - the sort of poo poo everyone watched but didn't admit to - probably peaking with the "Puck" and "Pedro" season, but as it went on it became more an more obvious how calculated and scripted it was and the whole premise became about casting it to create maximum provocation and to basically invent cheap "celebrities".

Then it all amalgamated into the abomination that became "Jersey Shore" and everything horrible associated with that poo poo so gently caress The Real World. Jesus, I didn't realize they still did this dumb show.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Full House episodes are hard to watch nowadays as it was a show for children and I am not a child anymore

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Arivia posted:

It's true for Sesame Street by way of John Munch, so why can't it be true for other shows?

Oh, sur-- wait, what?!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Gargoyles totally holds up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

One good thing about Clone High is they had their own music that was a spot on parody of the music from Dawson's Creek/Party of Five, but since they wrote it they got to keep it, as opposed to Daria.
The Abandoned Pools song is one of my favorite bits of music ever. Those guitar licks are 2002 in the best way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6opadkWj6YI

Samovar posted:

R&M has some really good stuff, but it's.... well it's basically "What if Futurama were run by a severely autistic millennial." I do not say that disparagingly mind you. Just remember that this is the prototype for the show:

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcPViGu3vUo:nws:

Also like South Park there's a huge contingent of teenage fans who suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck and will ruin your perceptions of the show if you let it.

food court bailiff posted:

Let me be another voice adding to the "that episode sucked" chorus, but it's kinda a shame because I think the beginning where Morty is spending all of his time loving that robot and his parents are afraid to comment on it is really, really funny.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The episode absolutely reads like the writers realized halfway through production that the Morty's Son plot was by far the better of the two, but they were in too deep to fully pull out.

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo. Here's one.

loving MTV's "The Real World".

In almost every way it was the precursor to the current model of "reality TV", so right there I can't forgive it. The first few seasons were interesting in a guilty pleasure kind of way - the sort of poo poo everyone watched but didn't admit to - probably peaking with the "Puck" and "Pedro" season, but as it went on it became more an more obvious how calculated and scripted it was and the whole premise became about casting it to create maximum provocation and to basically invent cheap "celebrities".

Then it all amalgamated into the abomination that became "Jersey Shore" and everything horrible associated with that poo poo so gently caress The Real World. Jesus, I didn't realize they still did this dumb show.
Throw Road Rules onto the pile. The only thing I really remember about The Real World was Judd Winnick being a person on it, who went on to do a lot of comics-related stuff I read. It wasn't bad either. I recall he did some decent work on Green Arrow.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
There's an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation which asserts that Fermat's Last Theorem was still unsolved by the 24th Century. However, a proof was found in 1995 - six years after the episode aired.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

And then the kids who loved those theories grew up to make Adventure Time and for like a decade after every other cartoon had to have some needlessly complex tragic backstory dragging down their fun adventure shows.
Ironically, Adventure Time's real backstory is that it's about a small group of kids having a great time at Disneyland.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Seven Days was a time travel sci-fi show on UPN. The NSA had alien technology from Roswell and could send a sphere back in time seven days to fix disasters. This gave the show an excuse to blow up monuments each week then hit the reset button.

The first season was alright (by my 14 year old standards), but there were some wonky moments in the series. Keep in mind this was a late 1990s show that finished in May 2001:

-In the pilot, bad guys fly a light aircraft into the White House and wipe out the Executive Branch and the visiting Russian president, combined with a huge chemical attack on Washington D.C.. Despite this national catastophe, television networks continue regular programming and the NBA doesn't postpone games (for a minor gambling subplot).

-For a show that only lasted three seasons we got psychics, three evil dopplegangers, a gremlin, aliens, pyrokensis, freaky Friday with the Pope, gorillas with nuclear launch codes, etc. Although the Groundhog Day episode is delightful.

-There were at least four occasions where the world would have ended without the use of time travel, raising the question of how they had survived until then.

-The hero is the only person who can pilot the time machine, as PTSD is a superpower that lets him tolerate the pain of the journey. Although he only should need to pick up a telephone to deploy the resources of the US government against problems, he is routinely sent to get into shootouts with bank robbers or inflitrate royal weddings, despite being irreplaceable.

The show must have been a joy to write individual episodes as you could destroy whatever you wanted and kill off main characters, but this hampered character development and story arcs. Whatever a character besides the time traveller did in the first half hour would be erased in the final five minutes, so no development or learning. And because the show's premise was a seven day time span, nearly every antagonist was a one shot that couldn't have a long term plan.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Oh, sur-- wait, what?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Munch
https://thetommywestphall.wordpress.com/about/

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone else see that episode of Courage the Cowardly dog where hyper-realistic blood started shooting out of Courage's eyeballs and Muriel was a corpse and my television started leaking rivers of blood from the outlet and it killed my parents?

Anyway, we're all trapped in the matrix.

Being serious again, does Gargoyles still hold up? I never got into it, because by the time I got Disney XD-or whatever the second channel was called- to watch it, they were already on like, episode 87 or something.

I have the whole series still unopened on DVD so I don't know if the whole thing holds up but Xanatos is def still a boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzu3IT590h4

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just don't think it's clever enough to pull it off. It just ends up being the same thing.

This is how I felt about community and why I was really hesitant to try Rick and Morty for a long time

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

Dragnet is sort of a funny one because it's fantastic as camp, so in that sense it's aged really well, but it was meant to be taken 100% seriously and played completely straight. It's star, Jack Webb, was a notorious commie hatin', hippie bashin', stiff, conservative square who was actually really like Joe Friday in real life and thought that's how cops and criminals really acted and poo poo.

Much as I adore AITF, I don't think the spinoffs, Maude, The Jeffersons or Good Times have held up too well. They feel kind of forced and too heavily dated.

What about shows that HAVE aged well? I'd say Cheers, AITF, Seinfeld, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett and even Columbo still stand up. Taxi to a certain extent. I still love Columbo and the original Bob Newhart. The Chuck Jones era of WB cartoons too.

Columbo holds up really well, except now at the end, a lot of times I find myself thinking "Yeah, I don't think that's going to hold up in court."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

This is how I felt about community and why I was really hesitant to try Rick and Morty for a long time

Yeah, I thought seasons one and two, and most of three, of Community were good, but then the show abandoned any grounding and became a bizarre meta mess. It was interesting when Shirley needed to balance school and a family, and Abed had to respect his traditional culture while loving pop culture, but not when nothing matters and Abed is a snowman now. Without decent stories and writing, Danny Pudi and Ken Jeong are Big Bang Theory caliber actors.

It was weird hearing friends saying it made sense if you listened to Harmon playing voicemails from Chevy Chase, his feuds with NBC, and how the fourth season shouldn't count, etc. For a show meant to be progressive and modern, their lazy gay jokes wouldn't have been out of place on Three's Company.

I dropped out around the video game episode when any sense of reality was being tossed out the door. I did watch the GI Joe episode from the 5th season, that was garbage. I don't think they knew Adult Swim had scraped the 80s animation barrel.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Davros1 posted:

Columbo holds up really well, except now at the end, a lot of times I find myself thinking "Yeah, I don't think that's going to hold up in court."

Ah, that's the thing what makes Columbo timeless. It's not necessarily about justice, it's about the perp knowing they've been rumbled and that they're about to a ton of poo poo in their life. :allears:

Watching the later episodes is depressing as hell though. Falk shouldn't have looked old. :saddowns:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, I thought seasons one and two, and most of three, of Community were good, but then the show abandoned any grounding and became a bizarre meta mess. It was interesting when Shirley needed to balance school and a family, and Abed had to respect his traditional culture while loving pop culture, but not when nothing matters and Abed is a snowman now. Without decent stories and writing, Danny Pudi and Ken Jeong are Big Bang Theory caliber actors.

It was weird hearing friends saying it made sense if you listened to Harmon playing voicemails from Chevy Chase, his feuds with NBC, and how the fourth season shouldn't count, etc. For a show meant to be progressive and modern, their lazy gay jokes wouldn't have been out of place on Three's Company.

I dropped out around the video game episode when any sense of reality was being tossed out the door. I did watch the GI Joe episode from the 5th season, that was garbage. I don't think they knew Adult Swim had scraped the 80s animation barrel.

I felt like this from the first episode to be honest, I watched the whole first season thinking it'd get better because everyone was so into it and it didn't. Either they were making jokes about jokes and patting themselves on the back or just straight up doing. There didn't seem to be anything ironic or clever about the Britta/Jeff/Annie love triangle and most of the other humour left me cold. Also the best television show mocking television shows had already been made

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

All I've ever seen of Community was about the last 3/4ths of something about a bunch of adults playing The Floor Is Lava

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Harmon & Co. let the concept episodes' positive reception go to their head almost immediately.

quote:

Yeah, the hiding behind the seeming fact that Chevy Chase is awful to work with and "Network TV people are mean" was cowardly. Dan Harmon can do good work but he's also the kind-of guy who would get banned from TVIV for sniping back whenever anyone criticizes his favorite show.

quote:

I lasted until the end of Season 3, then watched the later seasons while I was bored. The GI Joe episode was particularly bad. It was every reason people hate the concept episodes in pure, distilled form. The 5th Season has a couple of decent ones. The problem is that Britta turns out to be the lowest common denominator of the series and the show absolutely refuses to let her be anything other than a joke because admitting that would mean being even slightly realistic.

It really is one of the best examples for this thread.

shame on an IGA posted:

All I've ever seen of Community was about the last 3/4ths of something about a bunch of adults playing The Floor Is Lava
I kind-of like that one for the way it's shot (it makes 4 regularly used sets feel big, not easy), and a few of the one liners are saved via delivery. "What are we getting from this extra level of commitment?" landed strong. The actual action sequences and general pastiche are meh though, and the third act shits the bed really really hard.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Aug 8, 2017

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Krispy Kareem posted:

There was a Waltons episode where Mary Ellen got hooked on Depression-era speed to pass her nursing finals. So broadcast TV had at least a good decade of actors-taking-meth storylines. It's not as pervasive as circa-1980's-Christmas-Carol episodes, but it's not far off.

This reminded me of Little House on the Prairie where Albert, the adopted son, gets hooked on morphine and is dragged into the wilderness by Michael Landon's Pa Ingalls in a two-parter that ends with them praying and screaming in the rain. Can't recall if this is before or after he leaves a burning cigarette behind that ends up torching the blind school, which kills a series regular and a baby in the process. This was definitely after his pregnant romantic interest is revealed to have been raped, blamed by her father for tempting the rapist, then dying in Albert's arms when she falls off a ladder trying to escape her rapist though. Little House was a hosed up show.

mind the walrus posted:

The only thing I really remember about The Real World was Judd Winnick being a person on it, who went on to do a lot of comics-related stuff I read. It wasn't bad either. I recall he did some decent work on Green Arrow.

Winnick was on the same season as Pedro. He married Pam, the med student-now-doctor on that series, and I believe one of his early indie comics pre-DC was a Pedro tribute. His work on The Outsiders, a Teen Titans spinoff featuring adult characters related to the team, felt like a 1-for-1 nostalgia trip for his Real World season.

What I remember from The Real World is a moment from the 4th season, something extremely ugly, racist, and misogynist, especially when it was likely completely staged. A woman on the show was diagnosed with Lyme Disease, citing it as the reason for her erratic behavior, and was leaving mid-season for treatment. Before she left a male resident she'd butted heads with quite a bit walked up to the passenger side of the car she was leaving in, called out her name to get her to turn, and he slapped her right before the car pulled away. Put me off MTV and reality programs for good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This reminded me of Little House on the Prairie...

Just a side note - it's weird to know that Laura Ingalls Wilder died in 1957.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just a side note - it's weird to know that Laura Ingalls Wilder died in 1957.

Sort of like how Wyatt Earp died in 1929 and spent the last decade of his life in Hollywood working as a consultant on western movies?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I haven't watched it in ages, but I remember loving that show, especially if/when his attempts to low-key use his time travel for personal gain to backfire.

Like, one time he found that his Russian handler (I think she was?) liked a certain breed of flower and type of chocolate before going back in time to stop that threat. He gets her those flowers at the end of the episode, and she throws them away because shame on you for using information she told him from a timeline that would be erased.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Winnick was on the same season as Pedro. He married Pam, the med student-now-doctor on that series, and I believe one of his early indie comics pre-DC was a Pedro tribute. His work on The Outsiders, a Teen Titans spinoff featuring adult characters related to the team, felt like a 1-for-1 nostalgia trip for his Real World season.
Ah yeah, it's all coming back. That Outsiders era was pretty good b/c it was much closer to the Gail Simon Birds of Prey side of DC and not the Geoff Johns Teen Titans side, at that exact time. I remember Indigo being one of those painful pet characters that looks really good to an author but is a total non-starter.

I remember his "My Friend Pedro" or w/e mini too. I hear it's good. I do recall a lot of the backlash on him writing Green Arrow was that he made the new Speedy sidekick Mia a street urchin who was HIV+. It was a valid angle and I don't recall him being too obnoxious about it, but there was vitriol. I like to believe it was the same reason people were turning on RENT as a culture-- it was no longer viable to just say "Hey this character has HIV let's sermonize" and readers were fed up with it, but that's probably not it.

quote:

What I remember from The Real World is a moment from the 4th season, something extremely ugly, racist, and misogynist, especially when it was likely completely staged. A woman on the show was diagnosed with Lyme Disease, citing it as the reason for her erratic behavior, and was leaving mid-season for treatment. Before she left a male resident she'd butted heads with quite a bit walked up to the passenger side of the car she was leaving in, called out her name to get her to turn, and he slapped her right before the car pulled away. Put me off MTV and reality programs for good.
Oh yeah I remember this airing on a bunch of "10 Most Shocking Real World Moments" clip shows-- yes kids clickbait existed on TV before clickbait was even a thing--alongside Puck with the Peanut Butter and w/e nonsense.

This reminded me of Little House on the Prairie where Albert, the adopted son, gets hooked on morphine and is dragged into the wilderness by Michael Landon's Pa Ingalls in a two-parter that ends with them praying and screaming in the rain. Can't recall if this is before or after he leaves a burning cigarette behind that ends up torching the blind school, which kills a series regular and a baby in the process. This was definitely after his pregnant romantic interest is revealed to have been raped, blamed by her father for tempting the rapist, then dying in Albert's arms when she falls off a ladder trying to escape her rapist though. Little House was a hosed up show.
Holy gently caress this is Little House on the Prairie? I always thought it was about like, a little girl in pigtails watching goats fart while she milked them then telling poppa.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mind the walrus posted:

Holy gently caress this is Little House on the Prairie? I always thought it was about like, a little girl in pigtails watching goats fart while she milked them then telling poppa.

It was a way to get modern problems on TV. See also: M*A*S*H and Star Trek.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of old detective shows, watching the Rockford Files I was surprised at how the show ground to a halt every time someone needed to make a phone call. You had to put Jim Rockford in his trailer or at a pay phone, so the show was essentially two or three acts separated by the need to use a telephone.

I could have sworn Albert died and sure enough looking it up, the last Little House on the Prairie TV movie had Albert sick with cancer. I remember him crying about he never courted a woman, which had to be code for dying a virgin. Every goon’s worst fear.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I remember that little house episode with the morphine. It was some cancer patient's and the kid used like half of it to get hosed up. Don't recall the ending, just the kid being all "I just couldn't help myself pa!"

There was another where the girl is chase by an Indian in a cave or something. I just remember some creepy looking fucker.

I did not watch much of that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

That show was bonkers, everyone on it went blind at least twice I think. And the dad was a total hunk, even with his anachronistic 70s hair :swoon:

Also the series finale was some rich gently caress buying up the town and them blowing it up with dynamite rather than let him take it from them :krad: