Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

eating only apples posted:

That's only true when there's a fall sharply stopped by the rope, like when a trapdoor opens beneath the victim. If the rope that hanged Ibuki was around the top of the stepladder, as it would be for her to put her own head through the noose, then the cause of death would be asphyxiation or a crushed windpipe, not a broken neck. It's why you get stories where people kick their chair away and then regret their decision but can't do anything about it. Hanging execution (as in the UK up til 50 years ago) was done so that the prisoner would die instantly.

The killer strangled Ibuki with the rope, which could be passed off as a hanging death.

Yep, that's true of the neck breaking, which is why I mentioned the short drop in my post, but is not of the other symptoms. Especially not if the rope is wrapped around the neck several times, as it is in that illustration; you'd expect multiple ligature marks in that case. I mean, I wouldn't bet on my own ability to tell the difference, as a layman, but someone going around calling themselves the Ultimate Nurse? It would be very odd for her to be totally sure it was a hanging when it wasn't.

Further, the game literally just referred us to this exact scene, and there's Hopey McHopester being all weird about the rope. The referenced part is right there at the end of my quote. I refuse to believe that's a coincidence.

EDIT: As for the motive, that's trickier. She definitely must have caught the despair disease; given what it did to everyone else, maybe it reversed her personality and made her briefly super confident?

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

eating only apples posted:

The killer strangled Ibuki with the rope, which could be passed off as a hanging death.

Except that the rope mark is across the center of her neck, rather than at the base of the jaw, where the rope would catch if she was hung instead of strangled.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Most people knew that the rope was used to strangle - not HANG Ibuki, but I don't think ANYONE picked up on the frayed-in-the-middle part. Oh... because you can't actually see it.

Anyway the decisive clue is that Mikan gave the autopsy report saying that there's no question that Ibuki hung herself. That's a clear lie. In oren's translation, Mikan's report wasn't as clear and didn't contain the "hung herself" part. Death from hanging would have ligature marks in a U-shape tight under the victim's chin. Not straight across the victim's throat like the Monobear file says.

Glazius posted:

a) Mikan was obviously exhausted when she left to rest in the on-call room, but somehow still managed to hoof it over to the music venue to spike the camera, break the drumstick, and glue the door shut?
b) then again, literally nobody else without Despair Disease could even have been in the hospital overnight without violating Monobear Law, and how else do you get to Ibuki?

a) Don't forget that she also has to hide all the evidence from the hospital filming before hoofing it over. And you also forgot that she needs to take down the wallpaper and fold it up and put it away. And with all that she still made it to the motel before Hajime left. Yeah, the timeline is baffling. But she's still the only one who could reasonably do it.

b) I think the rule is no sleeping overnight. Setting up evidence without sleeping there is probably okay.

But a non-Mikan killer still fails the test because the hospital conference room was cleaned up too well. There was no evidence there at all. A killer from outside the hospital would have no reason to cover up all the evidence because it would point to someone in the hospital. And a killer from outside the hospital would run the risk of being caught very easily, because they would have to hide the evidence in the on-call room, and either Mikan would be sleeping there, in which case it would easy to get caught, or Mikan is NOT there, which means she's awake and roaming the hospital, so it would still be easy to get caught.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Is it possible that Mikan made the movie without doing the murder? She says something like "It's not what it looks like!" and she seems susceptible to bribery, coercion or just being lied to. Although she would be the worst possible accomplice...

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Chicken posted:

Is it possible that Mikan made the movie without doing the murder? She says something like "It's not what it looks like!" and she seems susceptible to bribery, coercion or just being lied to. Although she would be the worst possible accomplice...

That is definitely a possibility. Still hoping she did it. Or Akane, I like her even less. Akane would be nice.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

If Mikan was the killer, she definitely would lie to us about certain details.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
The bit that's always bugged me about the timeline, which is already dodgy enough as is, is that it seems to rely on Hajime finding the body and instantly leaving

If I'd seen a livestream of someone about to hang themselves, then got there and found them.. the first thing I'd be doing is getting the body down and performing CPR, given we already went over the fact that her neck wasn't broken, if she had only just done it, could totally have been saved potentially

So yeah, the plan would kinda fall apart a bit if Hajime had just spent 10 minutes doing a pretty common response

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FluffySquirrel posted:

The bit that's always bugged me about the timeline, which is already dodgy enough as is, is that it seems to rely on Hajime finding the body and instantly leaving

If I'd seen a livestream of someone about to hang themselves, then got there and found them.. the first thing I'd be doing is getting the body down and performing CPR, given we already went over the fact that her neck wasn't broken, if she had only just done it, could totally have been saved potentially

So yeah, the plan would kinda fall apart a bit if Hajime had just spent 10 minutes doing a pretty common response

To be fair, that would have resulted in people walking in on him apparently beating the poo poo out of a corpse. Not too hard to spin that into accusing him.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I just want to say that I love Really Smug Faceless Killer right here.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: Ibuki didn't die from hanging...
: She was strangled to death.
: That's basically the same thing!
: Though hanging and strangling seem similar, they're very different.
: The scars they leave would look different, too.
: Scars... You mean the rope burn, right...?
: But we believed it was from a hanging...
: Why would that be?
: Did we fall for someone's lie!?
: The body at the crime scene was hanged, you know.
: Obviously we'd assume it was a hanging.
: The Monokuma File complicates this, too.
: It never specified hanging or strangulation.
: Whoever misunderstood is to blame!

Ibuki's true cause of death was strangulation. That fact is the decisive proof that will lead to the killer...

...Is that true?

: While we only have Nagito's word to go on that Ibuki was strangled, we also don't really have any evidence to refute him with. Nor do we have evidence to refute Chiaki's comment about scars. Instead, let's turn our attention to the Agree Points.
: Ibuki's body was hanged, sure, but that doesn't really help here. The Monokuma file also didn't specify the cause of death, that's true too, but none of the bullets we have fit an agreement with Gundham. But if you think about what we learned about the rope during the investigation and the conversations surrounding it a sudden realization emerges...

> Shoot "someone's lie" with "Rope Used for Hanging"

: So that's what happened...! We've been falling for the killer's lie this whole time...!

: There's something I want to ask you... There's no doubt Ibuki's cause of death was being hanged by this rope, right?
: Y-Yes...she had no other external injuries, so there's no doubt she died from hanging herself.
: I see, I see... So Ibuki died by hanging herself.

: You said Ibuki hanged herself, but that was a complete lie, wasn't it Mikan?
: Th-That is...well...
: You told us the wrong cause of death! You lied, didn't you!?
: Hah-haaaaaaaaaaaah...!
: You should've been able to tell the difference between hanging and strangling, just by looking. You, Mikan, the Ultimate Nurse...
: Eeee...Please wait.

: F-First of all...I'm not a coroner...so I don't have the medical knowledge to identify injuries like that...
: That's why...it's not my fault if I made a mistake!
: Y-You are right... And...you have been a great help to us so far...

: But even a drunk medical student can notice the difference between a hanging and strangulation.
: I'm not taking her side or anything...but being clumsy and unskilled in this area could lead to a mistake...
: H-He's totally right...! Hehe...I'm such a clumsy mess and I got sooooo careless...!
: Mikan nursed me till I got better... There's no way I'm gonna doubt her...!

: Don't you think her devotion to nursing is what helped her draw Ibuki to her death?
: ...Huh?
: And if not... Her symptoms were still very serious, and caused her to believe what anybody told her... It wouldn't surprise me if she willing followed Mikan *because* she was nursing her.

: S-So Mikan volunteered to nurse us...'cause she was plannin' to do this all along?
: That's a little... Aren't you like the thief who suspects everyone else of being thieves?
: I'm not a criminal, Mikan is! I mean...she's a killer, you know?
: You've got it all wrong! Please forgive me!

: I'm sorry, but there's no way I can forgive you. I just can't forgive this crime at all.

...!?

: Um... Forgiveness or not...we still have not decided if Mikan is the killer...
: *sigh*
: Hmm, I see... You guys are kind...
: Well, if that's the choice everyone makes, then the only thing I can do is back off, I guess... But is that really okay? Is that everyone's hope?
: You're friggin' annoyin'! If you keep talkin', I'm seriously gonna beat you up!

: B-But...I'm really...really not the killer...
: ...

: Th-There's no way--*hic!*--I'm capable of killing someone...

Music cuts out.

: ...Is that really true?
: Eeeeeee!?

: S-Stop it already! That's enough!
: ...I can't stop!
: ...!

: I...don't want to do this either...! Of course I don't want to do this...! But...I *need* to do this...!
: Y-You doubt your friends...?

: That's not it! I suspect them because I want to believe them!
: Wh-What the hell does that mean...!?
: Um...I don't think belief and doubt are necessarily opposites.

: I do doubt her...but I still want to believe her. Belief lies at the heart of that conflict. Cuz...if there's no room for doubt, then there's no reason to believe, is there?
: D-Don't say deep stuff... I...don't really get it...
: If you want to believe in someone...you need to overcome doubt first. Belief without doubt...is simply a lie.
: ..Tch.
: Fine...do whatever you want. I won't stop you anymore.

Music fades out.

: ...Huh? Is that all you can say?

: Ah, so in the end...you're all just a bunch of bullies, huh?

: Justifying your actions with fancy words... M-Making excuses for why it's not really your fault...

: E-Everyone always treats me like that... Always... *Hic!* "It's all her fault..." "Sh-She's the one with the problem..."

: I...I'm done with that! You hear me!? I'm doooooooooone!
: H-Hey...Mikan...?
: It's not fair...It's not fair not fair not fair notfair notfair notfair notfairnotfairnotfairnotfairnotfair...

: Why won't you forgive me!? If you did something wrong...you'd forgive yourself right away...!
: What did I do!? Why won't anybody forgive me!?

: ...Is acting like this your strategy now? Well, this is annoying. Plus...to be honest, I've run out of ideas. How can we get you to admit it...? That's the issue.
: If we don't have any clues... Why don't we have her give us some?

...Huh?

: I'm...the same as Hajime. I don't want to doubt any of my friends... But still...the truth is one of us murdered two of our friends...

: That's why...we gotta stick with this until the very end. So we can finally break these chains of despair.

Ch-Chiaki...

: Hey Mikan... Can I ask you one last thing? If you're not the killer, then who fabricated that video Hajime watched?
: L-Like I said, it obviously wasn't me!
: ...Can you prove it?
: P-Prove it...?

: Wait... Do you have any proof that *I'm* the one who fabricated that video?
: Waaaaaaaaah! That's right! Show me your proof!
: B-B-B-B-Because...you're just assuming the video was filmed at the conference room...!
: T-Treating me like a killer b-based on an assumption... J-Just because I was at the hospital...
: Th-That's totally crazy...! I didn't do anything wrong...!
: Why does everybody always hate me!? Please, just forgive me already!
: I-Is this broad really okay...!? She's emotionally unstable...!

: I-I-I-I'm not the killer! That video...I never filmed th-th-th-th-that video!
: Hm... It seems she finally started arguing for us.

...Huh?

: But the only one who can find the hole in her argument...is you, Hajime. So...I'm going to leave this to you once again.

Could it be...was this Chiaki's goal all along?

She's saying everyone's fate depends on me, the only person who saw that video...

: Why do you get to decide I'm the killer? Where's your proof!?
: Please forgive me alreaaaady!

I need to...make up my mind.

I'm the one who has to do it...!

I'm the one who's going to finish this...!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

If you don't usually watch the update's videos, you should for this one, since Mikan significantly changes tone of voice once this happens:

FPzero posted:

: ...Huh? Is that all you can say?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Do we really have to keep this up? I've played enough Phoenix Wright to know that when Suspect Number 1 suddenly changes their personality, that means they did it 100%.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Pretty much. That also supplies the motive: finally snapping.

Which means Ibuki's murder was all Hiyoko's fault to begin with.

Good thing she died for her sins too! :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like Mikan's shift in personality. It's really eerie.

serefin99 posted:

Do we really have to keep this up? I've played enough Phoenix Wright to know that when Suspect Number 1 suddenly changes their personality, that means they did it 100%.

Well not ALWAYS. There are a number of characters who change personality but aren't necessarily the killer.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

A behind the scenes look at LP production:

(This is what I get for LPing two Metroid games and planning a third)

Also,

BlazeEmblem posted:

If you don't usually watch the update's videos, you should for this one, since Mikan significantly changes tone of voice once this happens:

I highly recommend listening to Mikan's audio for this update and the next just because her voice actress does a really good job pulling off the change in tone.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hmmm... so with Mikan's lie about the autopsy being explained away as clumsiness, I don't think we have any more evidence to conclusively prove it. This is interesting. We have a suspect who seems to be the one, but not enough solid proof to convince everyone else.

Ah, and here's the turn. The real Mikan appears. Kinda funny, what got her to snap at trial was her last defender agreeing to stop protecting her.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... so with Mikan's lie about the autopsy being explained away as clumsiness, I don't think we have any more evidence to conclusively prove it. This is interesting. We have a suspect who seems to be the one, but not enough solid proof to convince everyone else.

Ah, and here's the turn. The real Mikan appears. Kinda funny, what got her to snap at trial was her last defender agreeing to stop protecting her.

Least that's Fuyuhiko's thought, and Mikan readily agrees of course - given everyone knows her as 'the clumsy one', no one really going to argue 'she messed up'.

And yep, called it that Mikan getting fed up.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

This is the creepiest shift in tone, and it is glorious.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So anybody got any ideas for why Nagito is so adamant on stopping the killer this time? Is he just pissed he was incapacitated during the murders?Or maybe he thought he would have been killed had hiyoko not wandered in and triggered the 2 kill limit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So anybody got any ideas for why Nagito is so adamant on stopping the killer this time? Is he just pissed he was incapacitated during the murders?Or maybe he thought he would have been killed had hiyoko not wandered in and triggered the 2 kill limit.

If I had to guess, it's because her motive is despair at the way she's treated and he can't twist it to be about hope in any way.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well uh, hey there Mikan :stare:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like Mikan's shift in personality. It's really eerie.

Well not ALWAYS. There are a number of characters who change personality but aren't necessarily the killer.

Plus, you know, Genocide Jack. Who was not only innocent, of that specific murder anyway, but actually went out of her way never to kill anyone during the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Will yeah, Genocide Jill wasn't attracted to anyone besides Togami, and her method of killing is so distinctive she'd be found out and killed straight away. She's a case of DID, not an idiot.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Yep, Mikan snapped from despair. That explains why Nagito was being strangely helpful.

Though the image of Mikan saying Norfair repeatly was funny, so thank you for that FPzero.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
There's a crossover for the ages.

Kraid: The one who killed Ridley... was YOU Samus!

Samus: Didn't I already kill you too?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

People are unwilling to believe it but in the end the fact that she gave a bullshit cause of death is a major piece of evidence. She is supposed to be the ultimate high school nurse so not being able to tell the true cause of death, which she has been able to do accurately in every single case beforehand, just doesn't fly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I do wonder if being so badly bullied caused her to go into Nursing, and discovered she's an Ultimate - given being a Nurse gives someone a measure of power over patients that she otherwise would never have, since I suddenly thought of the Angels of Death-type serial killers that kill people under their charge for sympathy and attention.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Robindaybird posted:

I do wonder if being so badly bullied caused her to go into Nursing, and discovered she's an Ultimate - given being a Nurse gives someone a measure of power over patients that she otherwise would never have, since I suddenly thought of the Angels of Death-type serial killers that kill people under their charge for sympathy and attention.

Yeah, I think Mikan is (or rather, was) just desperate for positive attention - that would explain why she fakes her clumsiness and accidents, trying to get sympathy. But it seems like she's snapped and no longer cares about only getting positive attention.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Will yeah, Genocide Jill wasn't attracted to anyone besides Togami, and her method of killing is so distinctive she'd be found out and killed straight away. She's a case of DID, not an idiot.

I think she called Makoto cute at one point, so she might have had a thing for him. There was also Chihiro, but he was dead by the time she found out he was a boy.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

Pretty much. That also supplies the motive: finally snapping.

Which means Ibuki's murder was all Hiyoko's fault to begin with.

Good thing she died for her sins too! :colbert:

I'm presuming that the motive has to do with the Despair disease. There was no way that she didn't catch it after being with the infected people for so long. Since it seems to create a reversed personality, her normally meek and reserved demeanor was replaced with a Genocide Jill one maybe? I like that comparison.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
She's doing the evil voice! Only murderers do that.

Weed Wolf posted:

I'm presuming that the motive has to do with the Despair disease. There was no way that she didn't catch it after being with the infected people for so long. Since it seems to create a reversed personality, her normally meek and reserved demeanor was replaced with a Genocide Jill one maybe? I like that comparison.

Think having the murders being committed by someone not in control of their actions has been brought up several times as the worst way they could handle this. Not saying it's not possible but it'd be pretty bad writing.

I'd buy Mikan having been reeaaallll close to snapping for a long time even before coming to the island, thinking back there's almost never been an interaction with her that wasn't super uncomfortable, even allowing for cultural differences as to what 'funny' is.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Zoe posted:

She's doing the evil voice! Only murderers do that.

Think having the murders being committed by someone not in control of their actions has been brought up several times as the worst way they could handle this. Not saying it's not possible but it'd be pretty bad writing.

I'd buy Mikan having been reeaaallll close to snapping for a long time even before coming to the island, thinking back there's almost never been an interaction with her that wasn't super uncomfortable, even allowing for cultural differences as to what 'funny' is.

Agreed, having it be caused by Despair Disease would be a cop out, and I think even for Monobear's Despair boner, they would prefer that the killer made a conscious decision to kill, not be puppeted into it - assuming of course the current operator has the same motive as Junko.

I do think, even with Japan being - well Japan at times, Mikan is suppose to be unsettling and uncomfortable, but unfortunately Chunsoft tried to have their cake and eat it too (the fanservice-y accidents, morning huddles etc), causing the intent to be muddled.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mikan is a good mix of uncomfortable and annoying. Or would that be a bad mix?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mikan is a good mix of uncomfortable and annoying. Or would that be a bad mix?

A well made mix for being deliberately annoying? It's a bit long winded but I think it accurately represents what you were going for?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes, that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: I'm not the killer!
: We can't think of anybody else other than you...
: ...who could've filmed that video.
: Huh? Do you have any proof? Is the hemp bag on her head the proof?
: Is the hospital gown she was wearing suspicious? Or could it be the hospital slippers she had on?
: Ibuki and Mikan clearly have different body types...
: Is that really your proof?
: You could tell her body type under the hospital gown? Just from that video?
: Just from that camera angle!? Just from that dim candlelight!?
: There's no way you'd be able to make out her body type!
: So please forgive me already!
: Hajime, pay close attention and listen well.
: You're the only one who can point out the killer's mistake...

Don't flinch...don't hesitate...don't run away...! I'm the only one who saw that video... Who else is gonna do it if I don't!?

: When I played this game for the first time, this Nonstop Debate was the one that stumped me the most out of the entire game. It's a doozy. There are a huge number of Bullets and a huge number of Weak Points. And worse yet, none of our bullets are particularly convincing. I tried a number of combinations, whittling away my health before I finally had the realization that I needed.

: First off, you need to realize that none of your Bullets are going to work here. Chiaki is actually supplying you with a statement to memorize. Next, you have to think really hard about all the discussion about the video and what Hajime did and didn't tell everyone he saw. If you can do all that, the killer's mistake slowly becomes clear.

> Absorb "killer's mistake"

Shoot "camera angle"

: Mikan...you have committed a major mistake...
: M-Mistake...?
: As I said before many times... I'm the only one who saw that video.
: Wh-What's wrong with that?

: But I...never said anything about the camera angle.
: ...Aaaah!
: So, how can you...
: ...say anything about the camera angle as if you saw that video yourself!?
: Heeeeeeeeeeee...!

: The only reason Mikan knew the camera angle Hajime had seen...
: ...is because you're the person who actually filmed that video... Is that right?
: This is your just reward. The more desperately you argue, the deeper you dig yourself into a hole...
: ...You lied, didn't you?
: ...Guhhhhhhhh!

: *gasp*
: Are...you serious...?
: Is it true, Mikan!? Did you...did you kill Hiyoko and Ibuki!?

: Ahhhhh! F-Forgive meeeeeeeeeeeee...

Music cuts out.

: Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh?

: Ah! I was wrong! Wrong! No no, that's not it at all!
: That's not it...?
: I mean, it's impoooooooossible!

I-Impossible...?

: You know that hemp bag Ibuki was wearing when she died...? Try remembering the tote bag instead.
: Diiiiiiiiing, I totally remember now.
: Wh-What the heck's wrong with her...? She's getting weirder by the minute.

: That tote bag... Isn't it the same one that girl was wearing in the video?
: How do you know so much about that video!?
: Tee hee hee! Who cares about that!?
: More importantly, did you know that bag is a limited item that was sold at the movie theater?

: Hajime saw it too, didn't you? You remember the Usami decal on it, right?

: Whoopsie, don't worry about it. I remember it even if you don't.
: Tadaaaaaaaa! There's no mistake that that tote bag is a limited item!

: So don't you think it's impossible? Using one tote bag in both the conference room and the music venue at the same time...?
: It's blatantly obvious that that's impossible, don't you think!?
: That's why that video isn't fabricated and I'm not the killer.
: So you'll forgive me, right!?

: Taking your stubbornness this far... Such despair...
: Then you're gonna forgive me? I won't stop until you forgive me!

: I'll keep explaining it until you forgive me! That bag is a limited item!
: Hehehe...! That's why that crime is impossible for anyone to pull off.
: This chick...has she lost it for good...!?
: Will you forgive me? You'll forgive me, right? Isn't that right? You're obviously gonna forgive me, right?

At this rate, we're not getting anywhere... I gotta do something...and end this...

I gotta do something...so I can make her admit it!

: Long time no see...well, not really. It's time for the third Panic Talk Action (PTA). This...is probably going to be my last job during a class trial. Please humor me while I taint your ears one last time.
: Starting from this PTA, the Reload and ammo features will be added. You will no longer be able to make do with just the A button. Below the Tempo Marker in the lower portion of the screen, the number of bullets are displayed. From this point on, you'll need 1 bullet to destroy 1 remark. When you're out of bullets, you won't be able to destroy the remarks, no matter how much you mash the A button. You will be able to refresh your bullets by pressing the X button to reload. Just like locking on, press the X button in time with the Tempo Marker. The number of bullets refreshed is based on how well you kept the tempo. If you get the timing wrong when you press the X button... Bullets will not be refreshed, so please be careful. Also, your ammo will be completely refreshed and will not run out during Fever Time.
: I guess this was a pretty useless explanation...even though it was the last one. That should be all the explanations for the class trials. The rest is up to you to overcome. You should be able to find it beyond this point. What you and I both yearn for...
: True despair.
: Well then...good luck, and have fun!

: Reloading is back from DR1. It's made a lot harder this time because PTA is a lot harder in general.

: Other than that, there's not much to speak of. These PTAs are gradually getting harder. Too bad I don't have the skill that reloads two bullets at one time.

: Just hold out until you can use Fever Time to counterract Nega Time and you'll be fine even with the reloading.

: There's only one bag! It's impossible to use it in two places at the same time!

: Monokuma...mentioned this earlier.

: When you buy one bag, you get another one free. It's a common practice to bait customers with bonus prizes.

: Whoever bought that bag should've received another one as a bonus prize. Which means it's not impossible to use that bag in two separate places.
: So please, just stop making desperate excuses!
: Wh-Why...? Wh-Why can't you forgive me...!? Why...!?

: It seems...her desperate struggle is finally coming to an end.
: Why does everybody always hate me!? You should just forgive me already!

No Music.

: Mikan...it's already over... After I go over your crime from the beginning and show that you have no arguments left...

: ...Please just admit it already! In the end, at least let me believe in you!

: This Closing Argument is really short for some reason. It only has 2 Stocks and 6 panels to place.

: Don't know why it's so short considering the case takes a lot of twists and turns to get to the conclusion.

: Here's everything that happened in this case!

: (Don't forget to read right to left!)

: The key to this incident is the surveillance camera video that only I saw. That's why...I'm going to start with that to unravel the knots of this crime.

: When I went to the hospital with Mikan this morning, I noticed a specific thing in the lobby. The incoming signal light on the surveillance monitor was blinking ahead of the scheduled time.

: When I switched on the monitor, what appeared onscreen was a person wearing a hospital gown and a bag on their head about to hang themselves right at that moment.

: That surveillance camera unit was designed for two-way communication with the hospital and the music venue... That's why I thought the signal originated from the music venue...so I immediately headed over there.

: But that was the killer's trap...

: In truth, that video was recorded in a different place. The killer brought the music venue camera the night before and made their preparations in advance... And then...they filmed that video in the hospital conference room.

: By doing so, they tried to make me think the incident was happening in real-time. When in fact...the crime had already been committed by that point. The person in the footage wearing the bag was actually the killer acting as a fake.

: I didn't know that, so I went to the music venue...and found the hanged body wearing a bag on its head.

: Seeing the body before me, I panicked and rushed out of there to get the rest of you guys... But...that was also part of the killer's trap. After cleaning the conference room, the killer was likely watching the music venue from outside... And, as if they were switching places with me, they went inside the music venue and began working on their last trick.

: First, the killer peeled off the wallpaper covering one of the stage pillars, revealing Hiyoko's body. When I first arrived and saw the hanged body, I didn't notice anything strange about that pillar... I didn't expect it to be slightly larger from the wallpaper, or have Hiyoko's body hidden inside...

: Next, the killer destroyed the surveillance camera that was used in the conference room.

: After destroying it, they mixed it with what was left of the surveillance monitor found at the crime scene. The surveillance camera the killer used was originally brought from the music venue, but...when they brought it, they made sure to destroy its monitor beforehand. They wanted to hide the fact that the camera wasn't at the crime scene...

: In the end, the killer transformed the crime scene into a closed room. They broke one of the drumsticks from the storage room and placed it near the music venue's entrance. However, they did this to mislead us into believing that the music venue was locked from the inside...

: In actuality, the reason the music venue became a closed room was because of the glue. The killer sealed the door with glue and intentionally created a closed room that could be forced open.

: With that, the killer finished tampering with the crime scene and met up with Fuyuhiko and me...

: They helped us force open the music venue door, despite the fact that they personally sealed it...

: And they made us discover not just Ibuki's body, but Hiyoko's suddenly present body as well. At the time, they pretended to be surprised but... Inside, they were probably relieved that their plan worked out...

: Isn't that right, Mikan!? This crime was orchestrated by you, wasn't it!?

: ...Heh...heh...heh...

: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...!
: Whoa! N-Now she's laughing!?
: Haaaa...it's been suuuuuuuch a long time... This feeling... I know it well... Like the floor is collapsing...like the sky is falling down upon you...

: ...This feeling of despair!
: M-Mikan...! You...what has happened to you...!?

: ...Whoa there, before that, a moment of your time!

: It seems your arguments have reached a conclusion, so let's proceed to our regularly scheduled voting time! Now then, please pull the lever in front of you and cast your vote.
: Who will be chosen as the blackened!? Will you make the right choice or the dreadfully wrong one!?

: Let's go!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I love the tutorial voice. It's so odd.

Oh, and I guess Mikan is a bit nuts. Weird.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I... did not see that ending coming.

So it looks like people having hidden parts of their personalities is a theme so far.

Mikan: hid her frustration and love of misery
Peko: hid her infatuation bordering on insanity
Nagito: hid being a psycho obsessed with hope
Fuyuhiko: hid his caring for those around him, and in a surprise twist seems to have grown and bettered himself since it got revealed, unlike literallly everyone else so far
Hajime: Hid his past and his talent so well even her doesn't have a clue who he is

That's a pretty nonsignificant portion of the class that have been hiding significant parts of their personality.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

FPzero posted:

: When I played this game for the first time, this Nonstop Debate was the one that stumped me the most out of the entire game. It's a doozy. There are a huge number of Bullets and a huge number of Weak Points. And worse yet, none of our bullets are particularly convincing. I tried a number of combinations, whittling away my health before I finally had the realization that I needed.

Same. I had to look up what the answer was, because I kept getting it wrong.

At least now I understand why this is the answer. Only someone who was used to camera angles would have considered the camera angle to be important, and with our Ultimate Photographer dead, no one else would have thought of it off the top of their heads.

The only other reason someone would have thought that it was significant would be the killer, making sure that the angle was in the right position to only show what they wanted it to show. Since no one else had considered the camera angle previously, her bringing it up meant that the angle was significant to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

BlazeEmblem posted:

Same. I had to look up what the answer was, because I kept getting it wrong.

At least now I understand why this is the answer. Only someone who was used to camera angles would have considered the camera angle to be important, and with our Ultimate Photographer dead, no one else would have thought of it off the top of their heads.

The only other reason someone would have thought that it was significant would be the killer, making sure that the angle was in the right position to only show what they wanted it to show. Since no one else had considered the camera angle previously, her bringing it up meant that the angle was significant to her.

I wouldn't ever have figured this out, and I never did. I eventually looked it up and by that time I was too frustrated to care.

• Locked thread