Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Manticore posted:

Are people talking about the stingray when they say inkjet? I really can't tell anymore.

yeah I keep doing that sorry

The InkJet is good cause can get over ledges and get crazy angles that high up on people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Manticore posted:

Are people talking about the stingray when they say inkjet? I really can't tell anymore.

I was actually talking about the Inkjet. A lot of the times (when used improperly), it's basically a free kill. A well timed Inkjet is a bit hard to pull off, but can turn a match around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The inkjet is really powerful, you just have to be mindful of your surroundings when using it and what weapons the other team has. Anyone you take on in a fair fight should lose to you everytime. What you need to watch out for is ambushes, especially if the other team has long range weapons.

Splashdown is the special I'm struggling to get a good use out of. I mean, theoretically I understand why its good. But against really good players it feels like they just look up and shoot me out of the air. And even when I do get it off, it feels like any terrain chances whatsoever completely gently caress it up. If the enemy isn't completely exposed and on the exact same elevation as you, it does nothing.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 9, 2017

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Sploosh o Matic is a Very Good Gun, I basically have to try to score less than 1,000. It’s weird how powerful it gets in its two foot range but just drops off to useless past that. People seem to think it doesn’t hit that hard because they don’t run me off.

Autocorrect really wanted that to be Spoons o Matic.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

It also leaves your enemies a handy little icon indicating where you're going to land too, so if you don't get shot by an e-liter while in the air, someone will be all over you with the inkbrush once you finish the special. Better hope you kill the entire enemy team with it.

Drop Roller works on the Inkjet landing FYI. I assume Stealth Jump does as well but I'm still not clear on how Splatoon 2 Stealth Jump works and it seems like it doesn't protect you from nearby enemies anyhow.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The inkjet is really powerful, you just have to be mindful of your surroundings when using it and what weapons the other team has. Anyone you take on in a fair fight should lose to you everytime. What you need to watch out for is ambushes, especially if the other team has long range weapons.

Splashdown is the special I'm struggling to get a good use out of. I mean, theoretically I understand why its good. But against really good players it feels like they just look up and shoot me out of the air. And even when I do get it off, it feels like any terrain chances whatsoever completely gently caress it up. If the enemy isn't completely exposed and on the exact same elevation as you, it does nothing.

If the enemy runs away instead of murdering you during your startup frames, it has brief invincibility and I think it persists for about a second after the move finishes, in my experience of trying to shoot people who've just used it. Basically if you don't get popped starting it up you can use the ink it spawns to get out of there.

It also scales with height, and you can use it out of a superjump, so you can use it to surprise the kind of players that like to sit around shooting at jump points.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Any opinions on the baller. Sometimes I'll switch to the luna blaster, but I'm really not sure how I should be using the special.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sam Faust posted:

Any opinions on the baller. Sometimes I'll switch to the luna blaster, but I'm really not sure how I should be using the special.

There are two effective ways I've seen people use it;

-as an emergency escape, effectively giving yourself more health and the ability to freely cross enemy ink
-ambushing someone from behind and blowing up on them

If you try to just roll up to someone they will just shoot the ball and break it easily.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:cripes:

I guess you missed the convo earlier where someone claimed it is literally impossible to progress and ranked matches because of bads.

That was me, and I didn't seriously think anyone would take me up on it (if I was being serious I probably would have toxxed), I was just angry posting after a bad evening of videogames.

But now that it's being done, I am kinda curious to see how it turns out.

Internet Kraken posted:

If you try to just roll up to someone they will just shoot the ball and break it easily.
I didn't know this, but I hadn't really gotten a chance to try. The skill level of the few people I've seen using the Krack-On roller is absurd, you think you're safe and suddenly you have a faceful of flung ink or you explode out of nowhere and it's only after when you're told it was the Baller that you know what happened.

I can usually deal with rollers, but if they're using the Krack-On I do my best to stay the gently caress out of their way.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 9, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've seen some good baller usage on splatzone maps like bike track where you can easily enter and exit a zone to cause some chaos

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sam Faust posted:

Somebody just snuck up behind my wife in the baller and exploded before she could get away. I think it could be really useful for that. You can also use it to get deep into enemy territory while also inking an escape route?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I only just noticed that Flow has a tail.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I might try the Elo Hell challenge too, this wouldn't be the first game I've done it in

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I only just noticed that Flow has a tail.

She also only has one foot. Because she's a mollusk.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know Turf War is filthy casual land but there's nothing like the feeling you get when you have a great run of games, win or lose. For the first time since buying the game I felt like I was in control and whether we won or lost I was happy with how I preformed for more than like two games in a row.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, Turf War is very relaxing. It’s much more fun than play Tryhardtoon.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

What I don't get is who gets precedence if two players use splashdown at the same time in each other's faces. I've been splatted before by somebody popping splashdown to counter mine, but I've also been splatted midair by the other splashdown when I was the one counter-splashing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Can you still add a slot / reroll a piece of gear if you're out of snails by paying 20k?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Can you still add a slot / reroll a piece of gear if you're out of snails by paying 20k?

No

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

gently caress I missed almost every splatfest in the first game despite getting it launch, that was the only way I was able to work on my gear

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress I missed almost every splatfest in the first game despite getting it launch, that was the only way I was able to work on my gear

At least this time they give you seashells for leveling up past 30

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

You only ever need like 10 shells ever, which is basically catching 1/3 of 1 splatfest. Using shells to reroll gear is expensive and not particularly fruitful.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

They also heavily raised the seashell return for losing teams.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turf War is fun but I've had some of the most crazy dynamic matches of any online shooter with ranked in these games. There's nothing like that last minute comeback.

Turf War limits a lot of the weapons in usefulness as well.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Dad Jokes posted:

What I don't get is who gets precedence if two players use splashdown at the same time in each other's faces. I've been splatted before by somebody popping splashdown to counter mine, but I've also been splatted midair by the other splashdown when I was the one counter-splashing.

Probably down to who's stacking ink res (maybe bomb defense?), lag, angle, prior damage, etc. Also I think ink armor will keep them alive if they have it too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Two things. One, I finally made Profreshional in Salmon Run! :woop: Thanks, Nintengoons Discord. Ya'll are great Salmon Run buds.

Two, I tried out the Octobrush again on a whim. It never clicked for me before but for some reason tonight, it clicked. It clicked real good. Why does it have so much range?! I was being very rude with it and I should probably feel bad.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Internet Kraken posted:

Some guy I was playing against would super jump into the middle of the splat zone on a dying teammate, and trigger the special immediately on the landing. It's really hard to react to that trick because it's too easy to just tunnel vision on the super jump indicator. That's the best use of the special I've ever seen.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Silver Falcon posted:

Two things. One, I finally made Profreshional in Salmon Run! :woop: Thanks, Nintengoons Discord. Ya'll are great Salmon Run buds.

Two, I tried out the Octobrush again on a whim. It never clicked for me before but for some reason tonight, it clicked. It clicked real good. Why does it have so much range?! I was being very rude with it and I should probably feel bad.
Octobrush is fun and good but it's severely outranged by even the most basic of blasters. The key is to get right up in their faces so you end up killing them before they have time to back out of your range and pick you off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

gently caress the Trislosher and gently caress the people who use it. It's an overpowered mess that literally ruins ranked matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fO1YFLMNKo

I just don't know what they were thinking, it currently 2 hit kills under basically 90% of circumstances and it outranges the 52 GAL even though it really shouldnt while also having no RNG on the accuracy regardless of if you are moving or jumping.

Then they gave it Ink Armour so it's even harder to kill if you get the rare opportunity.

It is absolutely a good weapon, too good!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I tried out Thermal Ink tonight because it seems like it would be a fun ability to run up on people, tag them, and then let your teammates finish them off, but the amount of ink needed to trigger the effect is insane. Maybe I'm not using it correctly or understanding how it works but as a brush user it seems pretty useless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Since someone brought it up earlier, I think the ideal weapons for killing steelheads in this SR are the jet squelcher and splattershot pro. They both have enough range and accuracy that you can reliably tag them from any elevation and a good distance. The aerospray's spread is to erratic and short range, and the flingza roller might as well not even bother trying.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Man today's losing streak was a bitter pill. I would take an entire team of mediocre chargers before I'd take one more of these lovely little shooters who don't push terrain and just swim around looking for targets.

Anyway, I've decided to focus my gear on Ink Saver (Sub), Ink Recovery, and Bomb Defense Up. The two layouts I'm thinking with choosing are:

Ink Recovery
-Ink Recovery -Ink Recovery -Ink Recovery

Ink Saver (Sub)
-Ink Saver (Sub) -Ink Saver (Sub) -Ink Saver (Sub)

Bomb Defense Up
-Bomb Defense Up -Bomb Defense Up -Bomb Defense Up

-or-

Ink Recovery

Bomb Defense Up

Bomb Defense Up

-or-

Ink Recovery

Respawn Punisher

Bomb Defense Up

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 9, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Tri-Slosher is epic.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Bill Barber posted:

I tried out Thermal Ink tonight because it seems like it would be a fun ability to run up on people, tag them, and then let your teammates finish them off, but the amount of ink needed to trigger the effect is insane. Maybe I'm not using it correctly or understanding how it works but as a brush user it seems pretty useless.

It's pretty good on tower control because wayward ink doing 1 damage to a squid will highlight them behind the tower.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Since someone brought it up earlier, I think the ideal weapons for killing steelheads in this SR are the jet squelcher and splattershot pro. They both have enough range and accuracy that you can reliably tag them from any elevation and a good distance. The aerospray's spread is to erratic and short range, and the flingza roller might as well not even bother trying.

The vertical fling from the Flingza Roller can kill them quite easily in one hit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm sure they'll nerf the trislosher soon. I don't understand how to use it still.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

I thought it would be cooler than it is but if you hit someone and they don't die and they retreated, they are swimming in the one direction that their own ink is available. And once you know the maps frommplaying them over and over again for 100 hours you know every possible location they could be anyway, and oh wait their dead or your dead. It seems like something for chargers to counteract Ninja Squid loadouts

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Man today's losing streak was a bitter pill. I would take an entire team of mediocre chargers before I'd take one more of these lovely little shooters who don't push terrain and just swim around looking for targets.

Anyway, I've decided to focus my gear on Ink Saver (Sub), Ink Recovery, and Bomb Defense Up. The two layouts I'm thinking with choosing are:
Depends on what weapon you main, but at a certain threshold, InkSaver(Sub) might allow you to pop off 3 sub weapons with a full tank. I'd start by figuring out if that's possible and how much it requires, and then work from there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Anidav posted:

gently caress the Trislosher and gently caress the people who use it. It's an overpowered mess that literally ruins ranked matches.

I just don't know what they were thinking, it currently 2 hit kills under basically 90% of circumstances and it outranges the 52 GAL even though it really shouldnt while also having no RNG on the accuracy regardless of if you are moving or jumping.

Then they gave it Ink Armour so it's even harder to kill if you get the rare opportunity.

It is absolutely a good weapon, too good!

I don't think the Tri-Slosher needs that big of a hit to be more reasonable. Maybe reduce its range (It got buffed from Splatoon 1) or just reduce the side shot damage.

At any rate, Tri-Slosher users aren't invincible and unstoppable. Plenty of other weapons still outrange it so capitalize on that. Also, you're actually better off if you're below the Tri-Slosher since the Sloshers have damage falloff if they attack a target below them. The high ground advantage is pretty meaningless against a Slosher so don't think you have the upper hand in that case unless you outrange them.

Internet Kraken posted:

Jet Squelcher and the Pro are pretty much the best ones to take down Steelheads with due to their range. Flingza can pull it off, but they have to be right next to the Steelhead to do so.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

Depends on what weapon your main, but at a certain threshold, InkSaver(Sub) might allow you to pop off 3 sub weapons with a full tank. I'd start by figuring out if that's possible and how much it requires, and then work from there.

My loadout is the Splatterscope, Splatbombs, and the... Stingray.

I'm not sure if it's possible to get two splatbombs out of a single tank of ink, but my goal is to have at least a full shot after dropping a splatbomb.