Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Lords of Shadow 2?

No, there's two DLCs that (poorly) explain the ending and setup for LoS2. One culminates in a giant lovely climbing puzzle that you have to do in one go, and the second is chasing an rear end in a top hat that insta-kills you while you hop precariously over instant death pits to get to him (but not too quickly or else he kills you because a tailing mission is what an action game needs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

In Training posted:

Valve is making a new game finally...and it's a DOTA-skinned hearthstone clone!!!!!

I really thought this was a joke.

Mordja posted:

Gearbox is making a new, 1v1 FPS with collectible card game elements. :lol:

I did not think this was a joke.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

No, there's two DLCs that (poorly) explain the ending and setup for LoS2. One culminates in a giant lovely climbing puzzle that you have to do in one go, and the second is chasing an rear end in a top hat that insta-kills you while you hop precariously over instant death pits to get to him (but not too quickly or else he kills you because a tailing mission is what an action game needs).

I meant LOS2 is the worst thing with castlevania name on it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Just chiming in to say that Shadow Tactics continues to be good. Challenges stay unlocked as soon as you get them and most don't seem to require you complete the stage to "lock in" the achievement, although you can't see the list of challenges until you've completed the stage once. I spent 3 hours on one stage killing one guy three different ways and then murdering every enemy and all the back up because one challenge was "kill all enemies inside the estate" but it wouldn't pop up as completed until I finished the stage. That's not a complaint, I had a lot of fun setting up killing traps and going nuts with bombs and guns with my crippled sniper after the target was dead. Once you get to a point where sounding an alarm isn't going to screw up the whole stage it started to feel like an isometric Tenchu or Sniper Elite. Also, that feeling when you notice that the best way to kill guards who are watching each other is to just shoot them all at the same time... perfection.

I have a lot of thoughts on the game, including how they've distilled the nine characters from Commandos 2 into five characters here without sacrificing useful abilities and how the badges add much needed optional objectives and how abilities replace inventory to eliminate cheap, cigarette-based distraction tactics with great success.

It also has a cute tanuki whose innocent charms have claimed the lives of dozens of men.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I meant LOS2 is the worst thing with castlevania name on it

I'll still take it over the Wii fighting game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'll still take it over the Wii fighting game

That one had some good remixes, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I want konami to go back and port Harmony of Despair to PC. That game was loving weird but I kinda loved it, 2D Castlevania hunting action game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I saw a headline that said that the hard difficulty wasn't locked behind an Amiibo in Metroid and was happy...

...until I read the article and saw that while you get hard mode just by beating the game an even harder difficulty is locked behind an Amiibo. Way to give my hopes up lovely gaming website headline

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay I'm lost in Hellblade and while it's cool that the whole game world is connected I straight up do not know where the gently caress I'm supposed to be going

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Just chiming in to say that Shadow Tactics continues to be good. Challenges stay unlocked as soon as you get them and most don't seem to require you complete the stage to "lock in" the achievement, although you can't see the list of challenges until you've completed the stage once. I spent 3 hours on one stage killing one guy three different ways and then murdering every enemy and all the back up because one challenge was "kill all enemies inside the estate" but it wouldn't pop up as completed until I finished the stage. That's not a complaint, I had a lot of fun setting up killing traps and going nuts with bombs and guns with my crippled sniper after the target was dead. Once you get to a point where sounding an alarm isn't going to screw up the whole stage it started to feel like an isometric Tenchu or Sniper Elite. Also, that feeling when you notice that the best way to kill guards who are watching each other is to just shoot them all at the same time... perfection.

I have a lot of thoughts on the game, including how they've distilled the nine characters from Commandos 2 into five characters here without sacrificing useful abilities and how the badges add much needed optional objectives and how abilities replace inventory to eliminate cheap, cigarette-based distraction tactics with great success.

It also has a cute tanuki whose innocent charms have claimed the lives of dozens of men.

What is this game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

no one told me there was a spiritual successor to commandos...............

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm replaying FF7 with content/difficulty mod and a guy near the beginning after the first Mako Reactor scenario says that a lot of innocents were killed in that explosion

that's not very good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I saw a headline that said that the hard difficulty wasn't locked behind an Amiibo in Metroid and was happy...

...until I read the article and saw that while you get hard mode just by beating the game an even harder difficulty is locked behind an Amiibo. Way to give my hopes up lovely gaming website headline

it's probably just a lovely mode with higher damage

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Jay Rust posted:

What is this game

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. It was on PC for a while and recently got a PS4 release. That's what I'm playing it on and I think it's great.
https://youtu.be/IHDbjPCljSk - this is a Giant Bomb quick look. I'd embed it but I'm posting on a tablet and it's too finicky for me to put in the effort.

oddium posted:

no one told me there was a spiritual successor to commandos...............

yeah my dude, get on it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You made me check the news

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

do they say things like

uh huh. comin' over >:o

yeah?? i'll be right thereee

mmmhyes? roight

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Metroid 2 ruled because it showed that the iconic Metroid was just a larva of a giant monster that shoots lightning. I always thought the stages of growth looked really cool because the three red balls in the Metroid became more and more brown and shriveled as they grew and it was a cool attention to detail. I recommend looking up the old GB game manual but I'm afflicted with nostalgia you might not have.

http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.php?gallery_id=m2_manual&image_id=17

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm replaying FF7 with content/difficulty mod and a guy near the beginning after the first Mako Reactor scenario says that a lot of innocents were killed in that explosion

that's not very good

It turns out AVALANCHE were always maybe sorta kinda terrorists.

But the members justified it to themselves because the planet was dyin'.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

oddium posted:

do they say things like

uh huh. comin' over >:o

yeah?? i'll be right thereee

mmmhyes? roight

Yeah but if you don't change the audio to Japanese then they all have silly accents but none of them are Irish.

Like a British girl saying "hai, master"

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Metroid 2 ruled because it showed that the iconic Metroid was just a larva of a giant monster that shoots lightning. I always thought the stages of growth looked really cool because the three red balls in the Metroid became more and more brown and shriveled as they grew and it was a cool attention to detail. I recommend looking up the old GB game manual but I'm afflicted with nostalgia you might not have.

http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.php?gallery_id=m2_manual&image_id=17

It kinda sucks to play without a map but Metroid 2 had cool stuff in it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Okay I'm lost in Hellblade and while it's cool that the whole game world is connected I straight up do not know where the gently caress I'm supposed to be going

Where are you at?

You're probably overthinking it.

Just finished it. It's amazing. I made some big posts in the ps4 thread about it.

The combat stays good the whole time. My final battle was marred by a graphical glitch in which she never drew her sword, so I was trying to fight and and parry with an invisible blade. It's the only time that something like that happened in the whole game.

The combat system is much more like Arkham than Souls. There is an stamina system, but since there's no hud, it's not something younhave to watch and manage a bar for. You can tell by looking at her whether she's tired or not. Managing positioning ajd understanding stamina breaks, and what charges your focus are thr important things in combat. You can charge your focus very quickly just by dodging.

I think it's also possible to get hosed by the auto difficulty, because it jacks the difficulty up to hard because you got the hang of combat during the mid game, and then the final battle is the hardest in the game and you start out at the hardest difficulty. At least that's what it felt like happened to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So the answer was "the sun" right

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

So how long before Valve try to crowdfund Portal 3?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

So how long before Valve try to crowdfund Portal 3?

why would they crowdfund a game nobody at the studio wants to make

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I bet you could make a pretty good Portal card game, not a CCG, something like Hanabi maybe

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

So how long before Valve try to crowdfund a new card type in Artifact so they can make more money without doing anything?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The Colonel posted:

platinum doesn't really make licensed garbage to keep themselves afloat, that was pretty much all just a three game deal with activision unless i guess you wanna count co-developing star fox zero. i hope the granblue game turns out good though

I think the chances are pretty good because those mobage companies like to throw a ton of money into adaptations. Much more so at least than what I bet Activision is willing to dish out for cartoon IPs

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I'm catching up on the thread and re Disney Infinity chat from page 41, FirstAidKite's post was accurate. Also every baffling decision that they made surrounding that franchise has a story behind it that involves at least a dozen different egos. It's a miracle it came out at all.

Lego can manage it because Lego is a solid brand that ip holders WANT to be involved with whereas Infinity was the stepchild of the family. We had to beg for ips and their gatekeepers often had to be compelled by upper management to play nice. Even then it got messy and there were rules on rules. Darth Vader couldn't appear in marketing with Disney characters. Why not? They do in the Parks? Doesn't matter, Lucasfilm says no. No one working on the game wanted Yondu but Marvel said if we didn't make Yondu they wouldn't let us use any of the Guardians characters. Geoffry Rush denied use of his likeness but Bruckheimer approved use of his Pirates character. All Jolie likenesses had to be approved personally by Jolie herself. The Tron people only meet with people once a year to discuss licensing approvals so don't miss that 1 meeting or no Tron for a year. Want to license "Wish Upon A Star", that song that Disney already owns? It's literally millions of dollars we'd have to pay out of the game's budget.

Disney TV animation and Parks were the most chill departments that were just stoked to be included. Marvel and Lucas were by far the worst and hated that they got bought by Disney and were being forced to be in their Disney game.

And on and on and on. Every character every day every IP holder needed to be pacified and coddled and most of all paid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

:allears: gently caress this is kind of fascinating. i didn't know you were on the disney infinity team dude

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Oh, Pixar were always top class professionals too. They were the only ones who would actually legitimately collaborate on things with us. I always loved working with them and the Inside Out game is still the high point of my career.

Edit: vvv There's some of my work at that Artstation link if anyone is curious. :)

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

mutata fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 9, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so for a more comprehensive review of HELLBLADE: Senua's Sacrifice, here goes:

(explicit spoilers will be tagged, stuff that's part of the premise that you find out in the first few minutes of gameplay will be mentioned freely. If you are already sold on the game and want to go in completely blind, just skip this)

What the gently caress is HELLBLADE: Senua's Sacrifice? Well it's the story of Senua, a deeply disturbed young woman, her quest, and the traumatic past that set her on it. Is it an action game? Sure. In terms of gameplay, it's pretty evenly split between puzzles and combat. The game is heavily character and story driven, and as such, it's also got an equal measure of cutscenes/narration while exploring/walking. So 1/3 explicit narrative, 1/3 puzzles, 1/3 combat. There is addional heavy overlap between exposition and puzzles, because of The Voices.

I tried playing this game with surround sound at first, and while it was nice, headphones are much better. The sound design of the game was made specifically with a headphone experience in mind, so I definitely recommend that everyone plays with headphones if they can. As soon as the game starts, it becomes apparent that Senua hears voices. And so so do we. But also, Senua will sometimes directly address us, because we are one of the voices. Senua also talks to a severed head that she is carrying in a bag. Sometimes she can see the head breathing in the bag. All of this happens in the first 5 minutes of the game, before we even take the controls.

Senua has undertaken a quest to enter Helheim, the Norse realm of the dead. The game is about why she's taking this journey and how a literal journey into hell manifests as her confrontation with her own personal demons.

This game is designed to be completely hudless. There are no health bars, ammo counters or anything of the sort. The game communicates with the player through combination of visual and audio effects. Sometimes the combination of these effects can be very extreme, overwhelming to near the point of sensory overload. The sound design and use of sounds themselves is superb. Twice, I had to take my headphones off because I was sure there was a thunderstorm happening in real life, when it was only the game.

The visuals are almost equally as fantastic. There is a reason that I say almost. Senua herself is the most photo-realistic video game character I have ever seen, period. Almost all of the visual effects, lens effects, filters, etc are great. They do what they should and they create a unique and amazing experience I haven't really seen in a video game before. I will be linking a video later. But general graphical fidelity is... inconsistant. You can tell they were on a budget. Senua, enemies, the main path that walk on, these things all look great. Looking at details a little off the beaten path you see some drop off in quality. Nothing really ugly, but you can see that the geometry is simpler, the textures are not as varied, etc. This is hardly a mark against the game, but I think it's important to mention in the interest of honesty, considering "amazing visuals" is a something I really harp on. So those are the normal things. Edit: Oh, there's also a part near the end where Senua's hair super conspicuously clips through the floor and it's really distracting. Feels like the result of rushed work.

There is an interesting artistic choice which is probably also a budgetary limitation. It's that most of the other characters that Senua has memories/flashbacks of aren't CGI. They are filmed actors who are composited into the scene with Senua. This looks about as loving weird as you would expect. It's honestly pretty jarring. There are two reasons that it kind of works: firstly, they are all hallucinations or memories, so being literally super-imposed into a scene kind of works, and second, and more importantly: This game has more in common with an experimental art film than a AAA video game.

This game is like if you threw Frailty and Black Swan in a blender with Conan the Barbarian.

There 4-5 puzzle mechanics in the game. They are introduced progressively and found in combination to keep things fresh. Most of them revolve around seeing things from a certain perspective, or radically changing the environment. There's no block pushing or lever pulling here. The puzzles are all supernatural/spiritual/psychological in nature. I don't think they ever feel too repetitive. The game is, over all, just about the right length. I don't feel like it wears out its welcome or drags on too much.

The most repetitive aspect the game is certainly the combat. While each boss is a unique and interesting fight, the "regular enemies" can certainly feel repetitive. I left the game's default difficulty setting of "auto" on, and I think this was ultimately a mistake. I think, but I'm not sure, that it was responsible for the drastic swing in how many hits it seemed to take to finish off enemies. Sometimes the seemed to soak up a dozen hits, and other times I would tear through them like tissue paper.

The combat itself is not super technical, but if you just try to spam would way through it mindlessly, that's when you're sure to find it tiresome. The system is a bit deeper than it looks, and there are combos that I never quite figured out how to do on command. While it's convenient in terms of flow, the game's strict delineation between combat and exploration means that you cannot practice your combos outside of combat: Senua controls whether or not her sword is drawn. I quite liked the combat, but if you aren't using your whole toolset, you can end up in positions that feel really unfair. I think this is by design, and the voices constantly warn against getting into these situations.

I played this game in one sitting, and it took me between 7 and 8 hours. I don't know if it's possible to skip any cutscenes or anything like that. I think without skipping cutscenes (if they are even skippable) it's probably possible to beat the game in 6 hours if you can solve all the puzzles pretty much immediately and you don't wander around figuring them out for a long time. Most of the puzzles are pretty straightforward in the sense that you will probably immediately have an idea of what you need to do, you just have to work out the actual path to do it.

There was one major graphical glitch that I encountered during a long battle sequence where Senua's sword never left her scabbard and she was fighting with an invisible sword. Everything played as though her sword was drawn, the model was simply still in her scabbard and not in her hand. it was quite difficult to play this way, and I'm hoping that it was a one in a million freak accident, and not something that is likely to happen again.

All in all, I really liked this game. I hate to use the term, but it was a unique multimedia experience. It told an emotional, character-driven story in a way no other game I've played ever has. Some games have toyed with the idea, had dream sequences etc, but this games full commitment to its concept, from beginning to end, really forges a personal connection between the player and Senua. You know, if you're open too it. People who were significantly moved by Nier: Automata better bring a pallet of tissues.

Also, there's at least one section in the game that is scary as gently caress, so if you don't like horror games, be warned.

With a price point of $30, it may help to think of this game as being a cross between a game and a bluray of a 8 hour miniseries. I understand the logic of "if I'm going to pay full price for a video game, I want to get 30 hours out of it" or whatever. But this game wouldn't be good to play 30 hours of. Because it does exactly what it needs to in 8 hours. So I think it's super cool that they made a good game, looked at it and said "you know what, 30 bucks is fair". Because it is. This game is worth your money.

Snak fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 9, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

mutata posted:

I'm catching up on the thread and re Disney Infinity chat from page 41, FirstAidKite's post was accurate. Also every baffling decision that they made surrounding that franchise has a story behind it that involves at least a dozen different egos. It's a miracle it came out at all.

Lego can manage it because Lego is a solid brand that ip holders WANT to be involved with whereas Infinity was the stepchild of the family. We had to beg for ips and their gatekeepers often had to be compelled by upper management to play nice. Even then it got messy and there were rules on rules. Darth Vader couldn't appear in marketing with Disney characters. Why not? They do in the Parks? Doesn't matter, Lucasfilm says no. No one working on the game wanted Yondu but Marvel said if we didn't make Yondu they wouldn't let us use any of the Guardians characters. Geoffry Rush denied use of his likeness but Bruckheimer approved use of his Pirates character. All Jolie likenesses had to be approved personally by Jolie herself. The Tron people only meet with people once a year to discuss licensing approvals so don't miss that 1 meeting or no Tron for a year. Want to license "Wish Upon A Star", that song that Disney already owns? It's literally millions of dollars we'd have to pay out of the game's budget.

Disney TV animation and Parks were the most chill departments that were just stoked to be included. Marvel and Lucas were by far the worst and hated that they got bought by Disney and were being forced to be in their Disney game.

And on and on and on. Every character every day every IP holder needed to be pacified and coddled and most of all paid.

I kind of get Jolie wanting to see how her likeness is portrayed, but all of that stuff is still just fascinating. Why the hell do you have to pay for a song the company owns? :psyduck:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I kind of get Jolie wanting to see how her likeness is portrayed, but all of that stuff is still just fascinating. Why the hell do you have to pay for a song the company owns? :psyduck:

so that the division in charge of it shows bigger numbers

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you're on the fence about Hellblade, and you think that the combat looks visually uninteresting, here is a taste of how insane it gets in the mid game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDiySQXF9GM

Obviously, if you want to have your mind blown for yourself, just buy the game and don't watch that video.

Also please ignore how much I clearly suck at the combat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

McSpanky posted:

A lot of licensed games are lovely and a lot are probably turned out for the :10bux: but that venn diagram isn't a perfect circle, it seems unfair to blanket dismiss all licensed games as soulless cash grabs, even the mediocre ones (but yes, probably most of them). I mean, there's plenty of original garbage games made under contract too. And you know, leaf through the steam "indie" tag sometime...

Kind of late to the discussion here but this is along the lines of what I was going to post. War For/Fall of Cybertron are both unironically good games despite being based on Transformers, it's evident that they were made by people passionate about both the subject material as well as passionate about making them good games and weren't just some schlock cashgrabs shat out to rake in a quick buck. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay is a movie tie-in video game made by a company founded by the actor who plays the character in the movie the video game is based on, by all rights this should have been a horrendous trainwreck of self-aggrandizement and yet somehow, despite all odds, it's actually pretty solid.

Video games are a weird, messy, complicated business and sometimes it seems like a complete crapshoot whether any given game will turn out to be good, bad, or indifferent regardless of whether it's licensed, developed and/or published by a company with a certain reputation, etc. If you'd told me that the company best known for the Killzone franchise, the most thoroughly mediocre FPS series I've ever played, was going to create one of the best open world games of 2017 I would have thought you were having me on. Hell, look at all the people who figured DOOM '16 was going to be a huge turd, or who got blindsided by how good Wolfenstein: the New Order turned out to be. I have no idea why Platinum's TMNT game is so dang bad but I'm willing to bet that the fact that it's a TMNT game is, at most, one small part of a much bigger picture that people on the outside looking in rarely if ever get to see.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hellblade is giving me Mark of Kri vibes for some reason and that's a good thing. I'll check it out when it's cheap

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training posted:

Valve is making a new game finally...and it's a DOTA-skinned hearthstone clone!!!!!
Heh why bother when Gwent is out :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I sincerely hope Cyberpunk has a card game that's a Netrunner knockoff

• Locked thread