Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

veni veni veni posted:

Figured since my Xbonx has only gotten about an hour of use in the 2 months I've had it,I better go buy something for it I can't play on PS4 so I grabbed Quantum Break and...this game is way better than I expected. I really didn't hear anything but mediocre things about it, but it's super entertaining. Graphics are phenomenal, shooting feels nice and crunchy and the story is super fun so far. I even like the cheesy TV episodes in between. Seems like a winner so far.

i like time travel stuff so i actually enjoyed quantum break, but as the game goes on you are fighting enemies that are invulnerable to your cooler powers so it kinda becomes a slog.

also theres extended sections that are just walking around reading journals which probably rubbed some people the wrong way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the more I play it I'm finding why it got a mediocre reception. The story is pretty fun but man it gets repetitive quick and the combat encounters are getting super annoying.

Also jfc I am so over bullet sponge heavies in video games.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 7, 2017

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I really enjoyed Quantum Break but it's one of those things where its entire existence was greenlit as a proof of concept for something (Xbox TV Studio Division) that wasn't even a thing anymore by the time it released and it shows. Like Alan Wake we will never get a proper sequel but 5 years from now we may get a smaller budget title that makes us mourn what could have been.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Remedy opted out of a decade long publishing partnership with ms after QB.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the more I play it I'm finding why it got a mediocre reception. The story is pretty fun but man it gets repetitive quick and the combat encounters are getting super annoying.

Also jfc I am so over bullet sponge heavies in video games.

Gotta hit their weak spots (a lot of the powered enemies are weak having their backpacks, and therefore their immunities to your offensive powers, exploded) and constantly use all of your evasive and defensive powers. Your offensive powers are neat, but they're not the only thing you should be using.

bloodysabbath posted:

I really enjoyed Quantum Break but it's one of those things where its entire existence was greenlit as a proof of concept for something (Xbox TV Studio Division) that wasn't even a thing anymore by the time it released and it shows. Like Alan Wake we will never get a proper sequel but 5 years from now we may get a smaller budget title that makes us mourn what could have been.

Yeah.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I am in the market for a new PC electronic gaming controller. I want to plug it in to my tower with a robust, shock-resistant USB cable that will survive minor abuse. Can anyone recommend a controller that has these features, if they exist?

- XBOX 360 wired controller was sturdy; flexible and non-detachable USB cable a plus. lovely D-pad and somewhat gummy analog sticks/buttons are a minus.
- XBONX One controller felt great, but the loving detachable Micro USB cable is prone to bending and breaking. This is a structural weak point and I would much rather forsake wireless in favor of a permanently connected umbilical cable.

http://imgur.com/a/IVDF2

All of the first-party microsoft controllers appear to have that flimsy external-cable style connection that I dislike. If I could get the xbox one controller form factor with the xbox 360 flexible USB connector that would be a great piece of hardware. Can I find this from micosoft, or is there a high quality 3rd party manufacturer that delivers?

Asimov fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 8, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This is the Xbox thread, I think?

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I assumed there might be cool 3rd party xbox controllers that had USB options, but in retrospect I suppose not. Maybe someone is running an xbone emulator and needs a windows compatible controller?

Asimov fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 8, 2017

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Asimov posted:

I am in the market for a new PC electronic gaming controller. I want to plug it in to my tower with a robust, shock-resistant USB cable that will survive minor abuse. Can anyone recommend a controller that has these features, if they exist?

- XBOX 360 wired controller was sturdy; flexible and non-detachable USB cable a plus. lovely D-pad and somewhat gummy analog sticks/buttons are a minus.
- XBONX One controller felt great, but the loving detachable Micro USB cable is prone to bending and breaking. This is a structural weak point and I would much rather forsake wireless in favor of a permanently connected umbilical cable.

http://imgur.com/a/IVDF2

All of the first-party microsoft controllers appear to have that flimsy external-cable style connection that I dislike. If I could get the xbox one controller form factor with the xbox 360 flexible USB connector that would be a great piece of hardware. Can I find this from micosoft, or is there a high quality 3rd party manufacturer that delivers?

There's a new official USB dongle coming out so just pay the extra money for that LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

OK Good, I'm glad Microsoft has my needs in mind!

Imagine this scenario -- you're at your uncle's remote mountain cabin for the weekend. You've got an xbone, a controller, and an off-brand micro USB cable from 7-eleven. There are no batteries nor battery packs within 60 miles. Which model of xbox controller with USB do you wish to have in your possession? I guess I'd go with the stupid xbox 360 that at least won't break if slightly dropped.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are a few wired-only controllers made by Razer and a few other companies, but they target "professional" gamers and are therefore $$$ (like $150+). Some of them do the thing fight sticks do where they have the detachable part of the cable at the controller end being a locking screw system to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. I don't think good options exist below that price point, really, other than the official Microsoft offerings.

Microsoft doesn't do niche product offerings, if your needs are outside what the majority of people want, they're probably not going to be helpful. They're only a few years removed from going scorched earth on their customer base that didn't connect their console online, remember.

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 8, 2017

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
You could get one of those braided extra-strong USB cables too

also here's the new USB dongle model coming out if you want to know more about it https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/8/1/16076240/microsoft-xbox-wireless-adapter-new-release-date-pricing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I currently use a Power A Fusion 2.0, not bad as far as 3rd party controllers go. Face buttons are all pretty responsive, and the d-pad is pretty good too. Thumbsticks can be swapped with 3 different sizes/grips. USB cable is permanently fixed to the controller with a woven net mesh. It does have programmable buttons on the underside though I feel they take a little too much force to use regularly like the elite paddles. Cost me about $40 when I picked them up last year so the price shouldn't be too bad. Never bothered with the hair trigger lock feature so I can't comment on that. The triggers felt a little flimsy when I first got them but they still haven't gone out on me yet so I suppose that could be a negative if you can't get over the feel of those.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

:chloe:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A dualshock 3 of all things...

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Yeah, wanna play Diablo 3 with that PS1 controller, sweet.

e: Maybe Dark Souls would work too

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

You could get one of those braided extra-strong USB cables too

also here's the new USB dongle model coming out if you want to know more about it https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/8/1/16076240/microsoft-xbox-wireless-adapter-new-release-date-pricing

I think his question is more about the USB connection being not sturdy enough for his liking. Understandable. Nothing short of a wired connection will feel right compared to a plug on the current controllers.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/trueachievement/status/894877454539599876

Hey, a Spotify app, finally

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just use a wireless controller, they work with bluetooth and a pair of AAs lasts for god drat ever if you turn off rumble. If you want rumble, spend 10bux on a sleeve of AAs.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There are 3rd party xbox360 wireless dongles that work well and if you slap a pair of eneloops they will last forever, same if you go the xbone controller+eneloops

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Guillermus posted:

There are 3rd party xbox360 wireless dongles that work well and if you slap a pair of eneloops they will last forever, same if you go the xbone controller+eneloops

That 360 dpad though

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The Xbox One Elite Controller comes with a braided usb cable that makes a much better connection to the controller than the charge pack you can buy from gamestop.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Cool I'll check it out, thanks for the input everyone.

My main problem is the cable is not sturdy enough, maybe I'll try this "wireless" technology but it seems kind of pointless to use batteries/dongles when I'm 2' from the tower/console anyway. The Elite model might be a good fit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If you spend Elite money for the privilege of having a wire you're dumb as gently caress

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheScott2K posted:

If you spend Elite money for the privilege of having a wire you're dumb as gently caress

It's a good controller. The cord is very sturdy, you can hang the controller from it without it detaching.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hang it, make it into a noose...

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sakurazuka posted:

Hang it, make it into a noose...

im doing the carradine with it right now!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also I'll be the one to say it, the gently caress are you doing having issues with using a Bonetroller wired? I just hooked up a random $2 microUSB cable I found in the pile behind my chair, plugged it into my Bonetroller, and picked it up that way via the cord.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

Also I'll be the one to say it, the gently caress are you doing having issues with using a Bonetroller wired? I just hooked up a random $2 microUSB cable I found in the pile behind my chair, plugged it into my Bonetroller, and picked it up that way via the cord.

Some people are super determined to make themselves edge cases.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
MicroUSB is even designed so that like 99% of the time when something breaks it's your cheap cable instead of a potentially much more expensive port on the device. Also if you really want it to stay secure in the port, you can tape it up with a little bit of foam and electrical tape, I guess.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

My experience with the bonetroller was that I dropped it from about 18" onto some carpet, and since then the micro USB pins in the controller itself are wobbly and don't make a great connection. I tried various micro USB cables and some of them made a better connection but being a dumbass I dropped it again and it's worse than before.

I was hoping they made a version of the xbox one controller that had an attached cable like the xbox 360 wired, but I guess not. That's my story, yes I am stupid for wanting a wired controller and also posting in this thread. Dongles and batteries are truly the way of the future. Or tape, foam, and... hot glue might work?

e: The SNES controller was bulletproof and worked flawlessly. It could survive being dropped and abused by children and manchildren alike.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 8, 2017

Mephesto Zieg
Jan 4, 2008
I'm too tired to be funny right now
There's a bunch of decent 3rd party xbone controllers that are wired only. Microsoft is kinda lovely about letting 3rd parties use their wireless frequency.
There's a power a (I think) star wars themed controller from when battlefront came out that has been in the Walmart clearance bins for as low as $15, although those are extremely YMMV these days.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Right on, thanks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont know why anyone is suggesting the Elite controller's USB cable is better. its definitely braided but its still micro USB and still the same terminations on the cable has the standard one.

Just go and buy any of the hundreds of ugly third party controllers. 99% of them have windows drivers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

I dont know why anyone is suggesting the Elite controller's USB cable is better. its definitely braided but its still micro USB and still the same terminations on the cable has the standard one.

Just go and buy any of the hundreds of ugly third party controllers. 99% of them have windows drivers.

If you want wired this is a good idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lets face it, probably not a single one of us on these forums is good enough at games for wired/vs wireless to actually matter and plugging things in sucks.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm sorry but the xbox elite controller is one of the better purchases for the Bone I ever made. The programmable paddles change the flow of games I play so much its frankly loving disgusting to use a regular controller now.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

veni veni veni posted:

Lets face it, probably not a single one of us on these forums is good enough at games for wired/vs wireless to actually matter and plugging things in sucks.

The difference in wired and wireless is like night and day. It's not even possible to play, for example, Geometry Wars in wireless mode, the aim just lags so much. It might not be noticeable if you have only used a wireless controller, but plug one in and compare them together and it will be immediately obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm sorry but the xbox elite controller is one of the better purchases for the Bone I ever made. The programmable paddles change the flow of games I play so much its frankly loving disgusting to use a regular controller now.

The elite controller is sick AF I agree but there is nothing special about its cable or connector outside of the (frankly annoying) braided sheath.

its annoying because it doesnt coil up neatly.