Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

Because most people who don't have something to hide are more likely to be bluntly honest about the tone of their play if they are actually annoyed and not faking it.

But really to me the more damning thing is that Mac comes off as incredibly annoyed but when people say that's scummy he denies being annoyed until he uses that fact to his advantage to prove a point. That's scummy.

It's not hard for me to imagine how Little Mac may have become annoyed over the progression of several pages of being called annoyed.

But again I don't see what "being annoyed" has to do with alignment in the first place, or why Little Mac is scummy for not declaring his Annoyed Level at 4 out of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's not hard for me to imagine how Little Mac may have become annoyed over the progression of several pages of being called annoyed.

me either, instead I found it hard to imagine why he got so annoyed (or was it "flippant"?) just from my "too late" post. Here I'll recap it for you

First I agreed with Max that it's probably too late now to think anybody posting "I wasn't sure if I was town" reactions means anything.

Immediately after that post, even within the same minute timestamp, LMac says how he thought he was 3P at first.

I think this is funny, so I quote him and say "too late buddy". Then without any further input from me whatsover, once he gets done about how townie he thought Hats was, LMac posts this:

Little Mac posted:

Don't really care!

Little Mac posted:

Like lol if you think any of you are confirmed town or some bullshit. I'm not jumping on some dumb train. I will say, however, being "Vengeance-aligned" should have (TOWN) right next to it.

Now after this I did call him scummy, but I did not call him annoyed or mad once (yet), let alone "several pages" of it, before he posted this:

Little Mac posted:

"make everything obvious"

Like it was a secret or something? lol

Little Mac posted:

drat scum little mac you gave away the game that we're town by saying the name of the town alignment WHAT A SCUM IDIOT

Like, what are you even talking about?

Little Mac posted:

I would presume that a large portion of the game is Vengeance-aligned and knew what you guys were talking about. I would also presume that scum knew as well. Like, all of this discussion seems specious at best. The alignment is confusing but I don't see it as a way to confirm or not confirm anyone who has talked about it thus far.

now call me crazy but I think the all-caps bit at least sounds slightly annoyed.

After this, I did claim to read him as angry and annoyed. But he tried to claim he wasn't.

Little Mac posted:

I think the fact that you're believing each other to be cleared could very easily bite us in the rear end late in the game. You're reading anger when there is none. I just think your "strategy" is pretty loving dumb. I'm vanilla so killing me won't hurt the town much, though.

for all I know he really is town though and just made a big mess out of this, but your trying to reframe it is innnnteresting.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hey speaking of Ratben game, how good do you think you are at reading tone, Ninth? You ever figure out if I was still quaking in fear while I was trying to get modkilled on purpose?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

oh wait

he was doing the white-knight thing back then too. Before the slapfight. Guess it's a null read.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Hello, I'm awake

Birdstrike posted:

Real talk, Jeabus opened with

Something I have opened every mafia thread I've been in with, and will continue to open every mafia thread I'm in with?

wooooooow #goodreads #notreally

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Considering the other part of the read is also based on a meaningless jokepost, Birdstrike fished real hard for that and I'm super suspicious of anyone who said that it was a good read, Asiina especially

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

gif Probst posted:

you're avatar is terrible and is the reason you have three votes.

I ain't buying another one

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

me either, instead I found it hard to imagine why he got so annoyed (or was it "flippant"?) just from my "too late" post. Here I'll recap it for you

None of this speaks to alignment at all. Any town player could have reacted this way.

Bifauxnen posted:

hey speaking of Ratben game, how good do you think you are at reading tone, Ninth? You ever figure out if I was still quaking in fear while I was trying to get modkilled on purpose?

Still holding that grudge? Sad!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Still holding that grudge?

Bifauxnen posted:

man I thought people knew who I was

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i am home.

i dont like the small mack vote. i dont like a lot of the reasons for it. i dont think a person (re: eight dollar) asking a lot of questions on d1 is inherently scummy.

i think bringing up other games d1 for any kind of justification of player read is dumb and does not help people who were not participants of said game, they are forced to go back and read that poo poo which lets be real nobody has time for.

i still like where my vote is, i am also comfortable voting for peramene or king burgundy today. i don't read enough to vote for anybody else.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i also feel like max was trying to protect? hats early on but he may have thought they were a newer player and was giving them benefit of the doubt but i saw it. i dont know anything about bad avatar haver jeabus but i can see where he thought birdstrike might have been fishing. i do not think bird was outright trying to fish so much as try and put pressure on potential scum.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
eh gently caress it, Jeabus loves the Le Frappé family

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

gif Probst posted:

i still like where my vote is, i am also comfortable voting for peramene or king burgundy today. i don't read enough to vote for anybody else.

you can't vote KB on day ONE c'mon that's the rule

I like that you're voting Hats though, I'll prolly move back there. I feel better about Jeabus since he showed up, but not Hats.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Still not seeing the case on Hats

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

Still not seeing the case on Hats

how can you make that case on Jeabus but not see the case on Hats

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

to me Hats reads dumb not scum

do better Hats

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

hats has played more and is Not New

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I'm in flagrante
in every way

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Quidthulhu posted:

MMT you are harping on something that has absolutely no merit to my case whatsoever. I've already said that I haven't really reviewed all the N0 setup spec stuff and have been looking more at what people are saying about it / each other because I think that's more useful. You are picking some Hats quotes that are before the delineation I posted of my suspicion, which again, timeline wise goes like this

-[everything about N0 that I guess Hats was involved in and which I haven't read at all]
-People start earnestly casing people based on the N0 speculation
-Hats makes a statement about the current cases which I saw as being very hedgey
-I call Hats out on this
-Hats and other people make more statements
-I ask Hats if he is new scum to gauge his reaction
-Other people say Hats is not new, Hats says he is more often awkward as town than scum.

Phoneposting.

Ok so you could have just said "no" when I asked if Hats' n0 stuff affected your read. The fact that your reaction to being suspicious of him was to ask him if he's scum instead of casing him doesn't feel town at all to me but we can agree to disagree.

Instead, you got super defensive and tried to throw shade on me for the way I constructed the case (by combining quotes in single boxes, something I've been doing forever now). So for a third time I ask - when you posted the thing about "why'd you emptyquote my case?", what made you say that? How is how I cased you different from how I normally case people?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Just finished a (slightly intoxicated) reread:

When I first read LM's reaction it came across as a bit scummy, but at the second pass I think it's just the tone of his posts.

Ditto the Jeebus stuff. I'm basically writing off the whole alignment thing, really, but a quick look shows that Jeebus really has started all his games here (all three) with that post. Without that the strongest case on him is "Your AV is bad", which, while I have heard worse D1 cases, still isn't worth a vote.

I also don't really see a case on hats.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Peramene

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I don't like glowku, he hasn't really played the game at all yet. Somber basically hasn't engaged either. We're far enough past the end of jokephase to have content to discuss. There isn't a ton, but it's enough to get started.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Mithross posted:

Just finished a (slightly intoxicated) reread:

When I first read LM's reaction it came across as a bit scummy, but at the second pass I think it's just the tone of his posts.

Ditto the Jeebus stuff. I'm basically writing off the whole alignment thing, really, but a quick look shows that Jeebus really has started all his games here (all three) with that post. Without that the strongest case on him is "Your AV is bad", which, while I have heard worse D1 cases, still isn't worth a vote.

I also don't really see a case on hats.

Mith is starting to ping me

The fact that he quantified his reads as "slightly intoxicated" pinged me as slightly scummily self-consciousness. That by itself wouldn't bother me, but he then follows it up with town reads and cases on lurkers which are both things that I usually attribute to scum (because they're easy to make).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

The fact that he quantified his reads as "slightly intoxicated" pinged me as slightly scummily self-consciousness. That by itself wouldn't bother me, but he then follows it up with town reads and cases on lurkers which are both things that I usually attribute to scum (because they're easy to make).

the thing that bugged me was "I don't see a case on Hats" (it also bugged me when Birb said it, but at least he's said a whole lot of other stuff)

like does he disagree with it, and if so does he find anyone scummy for making it? Or does he just not even get its existence? It's such a vague way to sidestep an entire discussion.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Mithross posted:

I don't like glowku, he hasn't really played the game at all yet. Somber basically hasn't engaged either. We're far enough past the end of jokephase to have content to discuss. There isn't a ton, but it's enough to get started.

Alright friend, my stance on day 1 is to either go full joke phase or to stop muddying the waters as soon as joke phase ends. I'll be glad to shitpost but right now I don't think that's of any value. Nor am I until tomorrow because literally everything is pure conjecture. Without night results I think it's just yelling back and forth forever.

Mithross posted:

Without that the strongest case on him is "Your AV is bad", which, while I have heard worse D1 cases, still isn't worth a vote.

I'll go with your comment, it's not the worst case so HERE WE GO

##vote Jeabus

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

The fact that he quantified his reads as "slightly intoxicated" pinged me as slightly scummily self-consciousness.

This is true. Who gets "slightly intoxicated"

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

Little Mac (4): Bifauxnen, Max, Quidthulhu, peramene
Jeabus Mahogany (3): Birdstrike, Max, Asiina, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Max, Mayor Glowku
Birdstrike (1): Jeabus Mahogany
TMMadman (1): The Ninth Layer
The Lord of Hats (1): gif Probst, Bifauxnen, Quidthulhu, Bifauxnen, Quidthulhu
Bifauxnen (1): TMMadman, Mayor Glowku, TMMadman, Mayor Glowku, Sandwolf
Quidthulhu (1): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
Murmur Twin (1): TMMadman
IllegallySober (0): Max, Max
peramene (0): Max, Max, gif Probst, gif Probst
The Ninth Layer (0): TMMadman, TMMadman
Somberbrero (0): Mayor Glowku, Mayor Glowku
Hal Incandenza (0): The Ninth Layer, TMMadman, TMMadman, The Ninth Layer, Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu
Max (0): Sandwolf, Sandwolf
gif Probst (0): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu
tpink (0): Mithross, Mithross
Asiina (0): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin

Not Voting (10): Captain Foo, Eight Dollars, Hal Incandenza, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Little Mac, Mithross, Somberbrero, The Lord of Hats, tpink :rubshands:

With 23 people still alive, it takes 12 votes to lynch.
The current deadline is August 10th, 2017 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 11 hours.

The Sunset Limited is chugging along at a steady clip. Today's lynch method is Simple Majority!

These days, nobody talks about what folks have dubbed "The Weird Times" in New Orleans last year. The Shine-soaked city was rocked by what - on the surface, at least - appeared to be a simple gang war. But those in the know agree there was something much darker going on behind that... Death walked the streets (literally, according to some stories), and left many good men and women dead in its wake.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

gif Probst posted:

Wait why KB?

And can you clarify your read on Hats more? I haven't seen him do anything that's out of the ordinary for how he normally plays as town.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm not liking gif's reasoning about things so far.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

##vote glowku

shows up fairly promptly after being called out for not being around, says it's because he doesn't want to 'muddy the waters" which...isn't town-aligned reasoning? in addition he votes jeabus who i read as not-scum, and glowku votes for jeabus with what amounts to a jokevote while saying he's not going to jokevote

it's the worst of all worlds, if you're gonna be the kind of scrub that refuses to play d1...don't play d1. also don't sign up for mafia.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

WOW

ayy yo news flash, I am not at all looking for scum, it is day 1 and I am useless day 1 except for "policy votes" I guess

I stand by my standing vote, and the fountainhead of my read is that assuming scum has a vanilla PM and explicitly starting the flavor of town alignment is playing against that alignment, intentionally or not. Refusal to see that, I don't care why, is just about as scummy as I can comfortably day say anyone gets d1. If he's town, per his own admission, who gives a poo poo?

Speaking of poo poo, I don't want to hear a bunch about what's usually the case or how things usually go, or what's considered standard. In a game where flavor explicitly stated to matter, Mac broadcast that information for no reason I can discern on the assumption it wouldn't hurt. Pending something more substantial, good night & good luck.

Ya'll are way, way too comfortable with your traditions and now that I'm more confident and looking forward to podgame, I'm not gonna pretend it's good thinks to assume things are like they always have been. Shine games are "Shine games" for a reason, and that reason is innovation, so p p p peace.

Flavor matters, Mac hosed up, doesn't want to see why, that's good enough for me on d1. We now return you to your tail-feather posturing already in progress.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
explicitly stating
setting it in stone
telling anybody who doesn't know
YA SMARTER THAN THAT my dude

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

gif Probst posted:

hats has played more and is Not New

New, no, bad, yes.

gif Probst posted:

Why KB?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

##unvote

I don't think Birdstrike is scum right now.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

peramene posted:

WOW

ayy yo news flash, I am not at all looking for scum, it is day 1 and I am useless day 1 except for "policy votes" I guess

I stand by my standing vote, and the fountainhead of my read is that assuming scum has a vanilla PM and explicitly starting the flavor of town alignment is playing against that alignment, intentionally or not. Refusal to see that, I don't care why, is just about as scummy as I can comfortably day say anyone gets d1. If he's town, per his own admission, who gives a poo poo?

Speaking of poo poo, I don't want to hear a bunch about what's usually the case or how things usually go, or what's considered standard. In a game where flavor explicitly stated to matter, Mac broadcast that information for no reason I can discern on the assumption it wouldn't hurt. Pending something more substantial, good night & good luck.

Ya'll are way, way too comfortable with your traditions and now that I'm more confident and looking forward to podgame, I'm not gonna pretend it's good thinks to assume things are like they always have been. Shine games are "Shine games" for a reason, and that reason is innovation, so p p p peace.

Flavor matters, Mac hosed up, doesn't want to see why, that's good enough for me on d1. We now return you to your tail-feather posturing already in progress.

What's up useless D1 buddy :gbsmith:

I am really happy that this game is so active right off the bat, but this avalanche of posts is already giving me anxiety. But I am keeping up!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

peramene posted:

ayy yo news flash, I am not at all looking for scum

we all noticed

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

##vote peramene

This feels logically flawed in a way I wouldn't expect from town peramene. If Mac is scum, then broadcasting that information didn't hurt anyone because it means that scum already had that information. The only way that broadcasting the information would be bad is if Mac were town, but then it doesn't make any sense to vote for him for it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Do we know they already had the info?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Max posted:

Do we know they already had the info?

Nope!

Best guess right now is the Little Mac just did a dumbass anti-town thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

"I'm town"

"what a dumb anti-town thing"

• Locked thread