Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I just hit B rank for Tower Control and the skill jump is pretty pronounced. People actually know how to use their specials and can throw grenades pretty accurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Speed running in Splatoon 2.

https://youtu.be/Hj8oKnbJgbw

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat that's crazy. Love the bit where they use the stingray.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, that was a real creative use of it.

If they ever introduce those grapple hooks into a multiplayer stage, that might be something to keep in mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really hate Gusher rounds in Salmon Run. It's a complete crapshoot as to whether you might even find a Glowie, let alone get enough Golden Eggs in time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Anidav posted:

And the moment you get to B rank or A rank every team is running 1 to 2 trisloshers and has Ink armour up for basically a good half of the match.

Ink Armour needs to be removed from the game IMHO.

It has a long startup time before it kicks in. If you catch an Ink Armor user by surprise, they won't be able to use it in time to survive your assault.

Ink Armor also provides 30 HP of armor before disappearing, so if you're having trouble chewing through it, the Object Shredder ability works on it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ink Armor also provides 30 HP of armor before disappearing, so if you're having trouble chewing through it, the Object Shredder ability works on it.
Man, I wish the game surfaced little bits of info like this. They really need to improve/expand the explanation of abilities.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
poo poo I said I was hoping for bomb defense white Yeezys and here they are on the store, but I don't think anyone has done testing with bomb defense and I already have ink resist Yeezys and there's a video showing that close to 2 mains is a huge mobility boost and I already have a shirt with 3 ink resist sub and I'm so torn :ohdear:

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

bizarre deformity posted:

Somebody just snuck up behind my wife in the baller and exploded before she could get away. I think it could be really useful for that. You can also use it to get deep into enemy territory while also inking an escape route?

This is precisely how I utilize it and it's one of the reasons I'm enjoying the .52 as much as i am. I royally gently caress people up if I can aim quick enough and build up the special use enough ( although I suppose that would be the same with almost any gun). When someone is shooting me with a lot of guns that are beneath that level, I can actually take a moment to aim and shoot them just once or twice and they die before I do.

I just roll up on unsuspecting people deep into their own territory and blow up on them while having an escape route behind me, but most of the time, even if they notice me, they don't break my ball in time before I do. When they do, I just take a hit while aiming and then they die at the hand of the .52. I've also been pretty happy with it's range considering it isn't a charger. I can shoot motherfuckers out of the sky who are trying to inkjet me and often nail people as we head right for each other - provided I can set my aim up quick enough for the shot. I'm working on that though, and better control in general. I can't do a quick 180 without a bit of inelegant fumbling around or doing a wide circle. I keep trying to remind myself to steer that drat big ol' bus instead of getting away from myself with any wild gestures as intensity rises.

Tower Control is so much fun to play. I hadn't ever tried it before tonight. I'm still trying to get good at it, but my setup seems like it could work. It's terrific to shoot from a distance and then turn into a ball and explode right beneath the platform as people scramble to aim. It's also good to turn into a ball while riding the tower if other people jump on. If I can explode right next to them before they get their shots off it gets the dudes beneath and to the sides on any elevated bits too. I just wish I had any sort of bomb as my sub.... gently caress this mist. How do you best use mist anyway?

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 9, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The mist is usually good for area denial, since while it can't splat inklings, it will give them enough penalty to make them think twice.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Anidav posted:

gently caress the Trislosher and gently caress the people who use it. It's an overpowered mess that literally ruins ranked matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fO1YFLMNKo

I just don't know what they were thinking, it currently 2 hit kills under basically 90% of circumstances and it outranges the 52 GAL even though it really shouldnt while also having no RNG on the accuracy regardless of if you are moving or jumping.

Then they gave it Ink Armour so it's even harder to kill if you get the rare opportunity.

It is absolutely a good weapon, too good!

Hey you can pry my bucket from my cold, dead tentacles, buddy!

Bucket is life!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Tower Control, the tower also follows a set path. Throw the mist onto the path, and people will be forced to go through it if they';re riding the tower. That's one good way to use it.

The mist slows down any enemies that go through it, and drain their ink really fast. (So fast that squid form still loses ink, though at a slower rate.) It can be good for area denial, either forcing them to take a different path, stopping them in their tracks for a while, or weakening them as they try to force their way through it, making them easy pickings for your team.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I would probably use .52 gal and splattershot pro more if they had mist instead of point sensor

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

These tactics are beautiful. Thank you for the ideas! By the way, I managed to score both Last Ditch Effort and Opening Gambit with my clothing load out. Hells yeah. I've also got Bomb Defense and Ink Ninja and some of the more boring options after that. How does Thermal actually work? I haven't used it yet but I could if I understood it.

I'm not sure I understand the Point Sensor either. Did I confuse that with mist? I haven't been using my subs very often or at all lately which I know is a big mistake. I just had relied upon my special and main weapon.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Cat Machine posted:

Man, I wish the game surfaced little bits of info like this. They really need to improve/expand the explanation of abilities.

Object shredder is a real wacky ability.

- Makes weapons instantly kills Beacons and Sprinklers
- Makes weak weapons one shot ink armor
- Significantly improves damage to baller.
- Slightly improves damage to Rainmaker shield.
- Reduces time it takes to activate rails and sponges (what)
- Very slightly improves damage to splash wall

None of this is explained at all in game (except it's obvious it affects beacons). It's a lot better than you'd gather from its ability description.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

rogue wave posted:

I'm not sure I understand the Point Sensor either. Did I confuse that with mist? I haven't been using my subs very often or at all lately which I know is a big mistake. I just had relied upon my special and main weapon.

Point sensor marks the enemy team and you can see them through walls and stuff and how far they are from you for a short period of time. It has an AoE cloud like mist but I always miss hitting people with it, it's more obvious than toxic mist so people always avoid it or just swim through it because they're aggressive non-stealth fighters and I think I've only been able to prevent myself getting ambushed with it twice since people will stay away from you and wait it out

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 9, 2017

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Anidav posted:

And the moment you get to B rank or A rank every team is running 1 to 2 trisloshers and has Ink armour up for basically a good half of the match.

Ink Armour needs to be removed from the game IMHO.

Ironically ink armor works well against the tri-slosher.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How do people reach Profreshional and not know how to clear a fuckin glowfly wave. I'm like...3 for 3 on those ending my runs this morning.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's me, I got carried to Profeshional and I die the most in my games :smug:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Thermal Ink chat: using it on brush is a terrible idea. Using it on a charger is also a pretty bad idea. Thermals are for splatlings and squelchers, long range weapons where you do a lot of painting/area denial and get a lot of incidental nonlethal hits. Pretty much every other scenario has someone dead or at least a known location.

e; with the upcoming Custom Squelcher Dualies with Ink Armor I'm building Tenacity(Special Charge)|Thermal Ink(Special Power)|Main Ink Saver(Swim Speed) as a support build that paints objectives from max range while tagging incoming squids and spamming Ink Armor.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 9, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I feel like I'm slowly improving. In at 27 victories and 23 losses for my last 50 games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

In Training posted:

How do people reach Profreshional and not know how to clear a fuckin glowfly wave. I'm like...3 for 3 on those ending my runs this morning.

I always spam "This Way!" to try and clump everyone up at the choke point for glowflies. Usually works more often than not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

I always spam "This Way!" to try and clump everyone up at the choke point for glowflies. Usually works more often than not.

I managed to completely lock down an entire route with a Roller in a Glowfly wave earlier today (still obscenely fun, my god :flashfap:), yet somehow all three other pubbies on my Crew managed to wipe :psyduck:.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got insanely lucky and my first super bonus was a run speed, ink refill, and ink resist tickets

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I love it in salmon run when one guy hops on the raising platform and raises it leaving the rest of the team to die in the huge mob below. :thumbsup:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alright, that's adorable. I have a soft spot for whatever those little jellyfish guys are.

CautionaryOstrich
Mar 20, 2009
Pillbug

In Training posted:

I have never cleared one of those on Profresh with publords. Despite me pounding "This Way!" about 400 times everyone scatters like idiots and runs all over the map, getting swarmed almost immediately. I played with goons for the first time last night and we had three of them, immediately grouped up on the egg cage, and had zero issues. Ended up with 32/16 eggs on one round.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

:smug:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

I think you mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CautionaryOstrich posted:

I have never cleared one of those on Profresh with publords. Despite me pounding "This Way!" about 400 times everyone scatters like idiots and runs all over the map, getting swarmed almost immediately. I played with goons for the first time last night and we had three of them, immediately grouped up on the egg cage, and had zero issues. Ended up with 32/16 eggs on one round.

Any time the sky turns to night at the start of a wave, I hang by the Egg Basket and mash "THIS WAY" to try and get everyone to stay together for whatever fresh hell is about to come our way.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any time the sky turns to night at the start of a wave, I hang by the Egg Basket and mash "THIS WAY" to try and get everyone to stay together for whatever fresh hell is about to come our way.

What happens at night? I only just stepped into Salmon Run the other day, did my tutorials and a few matches. The hardest thing I've dealt with so far is managing to bomb the shark without getting eaten myself.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
My least favorite part of salmon run is when there are 2-3 bosses that are selectively vulnerable and none of them do anything until there are 6 bosses.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

how can i tell when salmon run is going to be on? can the app tell me, in my current time zone?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

What happens at night? I only just stepped into Salmon Run the other day, did my tutorials and a few matches. The hardest thing I've dealt with so far is managing to bomb the shark without getting eaten myself.

Night can be one of several events:
Reduced vision in fog, otherwise a normal wave That can have goldie in it

A mothership wave, where you shoot the enemies bringing in crates and shoot the mothership when it latches onto the basket to steal eggs

Glowfish wave, where salmon rush a person at random like a zombie hoard, stay near the basket and try to get them all coming from one direction

And lastly" Find the goldie" where you shoot drains until you find goldie, spam "this way" and everyone hits it a bunch. How much the drain glows after you shoot it hints how close you are. This ones a bit luck based

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

well why not posted:

how can i tell when salmon run is going to be on? can the app tell me, in my current time zone?

In the game they have a schedule under Stages

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The app will tell you whether it's open at this particular moment but to know when the next rotation is you have to check it in the X menu in-game

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Rainuwastaken posted:

There's two more:

A flying barbecue that pours a stream of ink deadly to the touch will chase one of your team, you can tell who via the laser beam, and flood the map with small fry. Shoot the fish on the back and it will eventually start spinning in place, making for an easy kill. If you're targeted, run but try to stay in the line of your team's fire.

A low tide event where three cannons spawn (one high on the map and two on the shore) and waves of cohoks (the big regular fish) spawn with normal bosses. Use the cannons to clear away the bosses as well as the cohoks so your team can collect the power eggs.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nephzinho posted:

Thermal Ink chat: using it on brush is a terrible idea. Using it on a charger is also a pretty bad idea. Thermals are for splatlings and squelchers, long range weapons where you do a lot of painting/area denial and get a lot of incidental nonlethal hits. Pretty much every other scenario has someone dead or at least a known location.

e; with the upcoming Custom Squelcher Dualies with Ink Armor I'm building Tenacity(Special Charge)|Thermal Ink(Special Power)|Main Ink Saver(Swim Speed) as a support build that paints objectives from max range while tagging incoming squids and spamming Ink Armor.

What's the duration of thermal ink?

CautionaryOstrich
Mar 20, 2009
Pillbug
The grills always seem to do me in, they take a lot of coordination to not get overwhelmed on Profresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Even in A rank my team SUCKS!!!