Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

If you're on the fence about Hellblade, and you think that the combat looks visually uninteresting, here is a taste of how insane it gets in the mid game:

Hellblade looks a little intense for me right now, but it's definitely on my list. It's the first Ninja Theory game that actually looks like something I'd enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

Hellblade looks a little intense for me right now, but it's definitely on my list. It's the first Ninja Theory game that actually looks like something I'd enjoy.

I'd even go so far to describe the experience as quite... harrowing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Why won't Gearbox just make another Borderlands, I don't get it. Even they should have learned after their last failure that maybe they should stick with something they can actually sell.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gwornt, the card game

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Harrow posted:

I'm really excited for it but holding back a bit because of the horror elements. I'm just really bad with spooky games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

Why won't Gearbox just make another Borderlands, I don't get it. Even they should have learned after their last failure that maybe they should stick with something they can actually sell.

Do you really want them to make another borderlands after what they've done in the last few games they've made? :v:

Borderlands 3, now a full on MMORPG with subscription-based raids and a cash shop for adding hats to your guns, and your favorite gunhat won't give any good stats but the ugly gunhat will and will cost more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I'd even go so far to describe the experience as quite... harrowing.

:pusheen:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I wish Destiny was Borderlands. I'm going to shoot poo poo either way and id rather it was kinda goofy and non sensical than a serious sci fi dystopia.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Nina posted:

I'm really excited for it but holding back a bit because of the horror elements. I'm just really bad with spooky games

I would say it's not a scary game but it is very... emotionally draining with some disturbing images. It's relentlessly bleak and also beautiful at the same time. I can only manage to play it for an hour or two at a time before I have to put it down.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Harrow posted:

It's also the first game they own in full. I'm sure that also does a lot for creativity and the sheer joy of the work.

It's still crazy that the lead character was a friend of a founder who started out editing video and who just basically did testing and placeholders for the game initially.

exquisite tea posted:

I would say it's not a scary game but it is very... emotionally draining with some disturbing images. It's relentlessly bleak and also beautiful at the same time. I can only manage to play it for an hour or two at a time before I have to put it down.

Some of the fights also seem designed to be physically and mentally draining.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macarius Wrench posted:

I wish Destiny was Borderlands. I'm going to shoot poo poo either way and id rather it was kinda goofy and non sensical than a serious sci fi dystopia.

Destiny kinda goes back and forth in how serious it is. Like the background is definitely a serious science-fantasy dystopia, but the actual story and all the characters you talk to definitely have more of an "ADVENTURE!" (in all caps) vibe to them. Guardians are canonically a bunch of adrenaline junkies who hoard guns and take crazy risks while shooting bad guys.

It's definitely not wacky like Borderlands or anything, but unless you're reading the grimoire cards it doesn't take itself all that seriously, either.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know, that trailer for Destiny 2 has a wisecracking robot in it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yes, also there is a wisecracking Nathan Fillion robot. He's your class mentor if you play a Hunter.

I think maybe the best way to describe Destiny is that it's like a D&D campaign where the GM really wants to tell a serious story but all of the players just gently caress it right up. Bungie definitely did that on purpose, too. The whole idea was that the way real human players would realistically play a loot-'em-up FPS is just canon.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 9, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ufarn posted:

It's still crazy that the lead character was a friend of a founder who started out editing video and who just basically did testing and placeholders for the game initially.

Yeah, I was totally blown away when I learned Senua wasn't some actress they hired but NT's video editor of all things. Her performance has totally made the game for me so far and you couldn't find a face that better captured the tone they were going for.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://youtu.be/-cw2gXq83n8 Here's the Borderlands 3 tech presentation from GDC this year. It has actual vis dev footage from Borderlands 3 because Gearbox is indeed making a third Borderlands. They're making other games too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

FirstAidKite posted:

Do you really want them to make another borderlands after what they've done in the last few games they've made? :v:
I don't really want anything from Gearbox, I'm just questioning their business decisions but I guess they actually are making Borderlands 3 so they can continue to spend money on failed projects on the side.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

I don't really want anything from Gearbox, I'm just questioning their business decisions but I guess they actually are making Borderlands 3 so they can continue to spend money on failed projects on the side.

Pitchford nervously announced Borderlands 3 at a press thing a while back with EXTREMELY early alpha footage of environment stuff (as he sweated profusely and stammered through the presentation, no doubt hopeful people would like a Gearbox game again) it was a weird loving presentation not just because Randy was shook as gently caress but the game was barely in a "state" to show. idk why they don't just focus on that, their proven moneymaker, instead of this awful poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

As far as I can tell they can't steal SEGA's money to produce Borderlands this time around so their funding must be really shaky.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How long before Randy Pitchford tries to stoke a "viral" movement for Borderlands 3 adult fanart on Twitter

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I like Borderlands, I do, but please let someone else write the jokes. Out-source the humor to another company, or the internet.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not to mention that they probably earned about $5 against what i assume was a multi million dollar development cost for battleborn

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Palpek posted:

I will give a developer credit for continuing to try to make something actually good for once.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

I'm catching up on the thread and re Disney Infinity chat from page 41, FirstAidKite's post was accurate. Also every baffling decision that they made surrounding that franchise has a story behind it that involves at least a dozen different egos. It's a miracle it came out at all.

Lego can manage it because Lego is a solid brand that ip holders WANT to be involved with whereas Infinity was the stepchild of the family. We had to beg for ips and their gatekeepers often had to be compelled by upper management to play nice. Even then it got messy and there were rules on rules. Darth Vader couldn't appear in marketing with Disney characters. Why not? They do in the Parks? Doesn't matter, Lucasfilm says no. No one working on the game wanted Yondu but Marvel said if we didn't make Yondu they wouldn't let us use any of the Guardians characters. Geoffry Rush denied use of his likeness but Bruckheimer approved use of his Pirates character. All Jolie likenesses had to be approved personally by Jolie herself. The Tron people only meet with people once a year to discuss licensing approvals so don't miss that 1 meeting or no Tron for a year. Want to license "Wish Upon A Star", that song that Disney already owns? It's literally millions of dollars we'd have to pay out of the game's budget.

Disney TV animation and Parks were the most chill departments that were just stoked to be included. Marvel and Lucas were by far the worst and hated that they got bought by Disney and were being forced to be in their Disney game.

And on and on and on. Every character every day every IP holder needed to be pacified and coddled and most of all paid.

Thanks for posting this

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wish the Disney Infinity brand had just abandoned the game and exclusively done figures because I loved the figures and I'm forever sad we're not getting a decent Maui and Moana figure anymore :(

I have a Sorcerer's Apprentice Micky, Vanellope and Wreck-it Ralph DI figures and they are such good quality little figures, I never played the games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Borderlands 3, with extra Duke Nukem special preorder edition

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

FirstAidKite posted:

Comes with a Duke Nukem parody villain who is implied to be on steroids and has a small penis
..>...don't sign your posts

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

Where are you at?

You're probably overthinking it.

Just finished it. It's amazing. I made some big posts in the ps4 thread about it.

The combat stays good the whole time. My final battle was marred by a graphical glitch in which she never drew her sword, so I was trying to fight and and parry with an invisible blade. It's the only time that something like that happened in the whole game.

The combat system is much more like Arkham than Souls. There is an stamina system, but since there's no hud, it's not something younhave to watch and manage a bar for. You can tell by looking at her whether she's tired or not. Managing positioning ajd understanding stamina breaks, and what charges your focus are thr important things in combat. You can charge your focus very quickly just by dodging.

I think it's also possible to get hosed by the auto difficulty, because it jacks the difficulty up to hard because you got the hang of combat during the mid game, and then the final battle is the hardest in the game and you start out at the hardest difficulty. At least that's what it felt like happened to me.

i hate the combat a lot, it's so boring and repetitive and easy and the enemies take forever to die

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I wish the Disney Infinity brand had just abandoned the game and exclusively done figures because I loved the figures and I'm forever sad we're not getting a decent Maui and Moana figure anymore :(

I have a Sorcerer's Apprentice Micky, Vanellope and Wreck-it Ralph DI figures and they are such good quality little figures, I never played the games.

We had prototypes, 3d prints, and even color masters for Moana and Maui in the office when they shut us down. That was the most beautiful of our games. It all looked so good. Someday I want to track down the digital sculpt files for the 2 of them and get them 3d printed.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

to be replaced in 3 years with a new-release-priced "HD remake" which is the same game but they ran a photoshop sharpen filter on the textures.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

i hate the combat a lot, it's so boring and repetitive and easy and the enemies take forever to die

That last parts a real sticking point to me. From the videos I've seen, every enemy just seems to soak hits for no good reason, especially considering how weighty the swings look.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
every enemy in the game is just

dodge attack (this is insanely easy) then attack him until he starts blocking again. you can mix it up by kicking them to stop them blocking instead if that is exciting to you. some enemies can't be kicked though which is obviously very exciting. you can also parry but there's literally no point

sometimes senua will do some over the top CINEMATIC ATTACK where she does a flip and stabs them right through the head or something, which in a normal game would mean you killed them but in this it's just a thing that happens and they're still fine. it's dogshit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hellblade looks like one of those fake games they mock up for CSI episodes

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

In Training posted:

Hellblade looks like one of those fake games they mock up for CSI episodes

Speaking of which, Horizon Zero Dawn reminded me of the fake games that used to be on the sides of video card boxes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

to be replaced in 3 years with a new-release-priced "HD remake" which is the same game but they ran a photoshop sharpen filter on the textures.

Alternately, a rerelease of borderlands 1 with new line recordings and the addition of a duke nukem dlc but the rest of the dlc is missing and it costs more than you'd normally pay for borderlands 1 + dlc and they remove borderlands 1 + dlc from shops so your only chance of getting it is to buy the newer more expensive version

I feel bad for anybody who is stuck with the new duke 3d and not the megaton edition :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ygKd5oxoSU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

vermin posted:

I like Borderlands, I do, but please let someone else write the jokes. Out-source the humor to another company, or the internet.

Uhhhhhhh I thought we wanted to get AWAY from tired references

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

So the answer was "the sun" right

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Achievement unlocked: 25 to life.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macaluso posted:

So the answer was "the sun" right

the answer was FATE but two of the letter clues are wrong

also you can get an ad for Tekken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

vermin posted: